Patch 1.4 avalible now to PC as part of "opt in beta"

#1 Posted by Demoskinos (14559 posts) -

GO GRAB IT! http://www.bethblog.com/2012/01/23/now-on-steam-beta-update-for-skyrim/

Skyrim is using Steam’s beta functionality to give users an early look at the 1.4 Update currently in development.

What does beta mean? This patch is still in development. Apply the update at your own risk and only if you are affected by issues listed in the fix notes.

Be sure to back up your saved games or simply be careful not to overwrite your existing saves. If you decide to opt out of the beta program, your old saves will still work with the current release of Skyrim (v 1.3).

To get the beta, you need to do the following:

1. Log into Steam
  2. Click on Steam in the upper menu
  3. Select Settings
  4. Under the Account tab, go to the Beta Participation section and select Change.
  5. A drop down menu will appear. Select Skyrim Beta.
  6. Select OK.
  7. Steam will now restart. After Steam restarts, Skyrim will be updated to the Beta version currently available.

If you decide you don’t want to run the Beta anymore, redo steps 1 – 4. At the drop down, select NONE – Opt out of all beta programs. Let Steam restart, and Skyrim will automatically update itself back to the latest released version.

To provide feedback on the beta update, use our beta forum.

#2 Posted by MikeFightNight (1075 posts) -

Sounds good to me as I am currently experiencing no problems wiht Skyrim. Once the masses have tested it out to see if it breaks anything then I will download it just for fun.

#3 Posted by AlisterCat (5480 posts) -

That is such a good idea and great to see Bethesda exploiting all of Valve's features. Except Steam Cloud.

#4 Posted by BasketSnake (1155 posts) -

I'm sure it's got bugs but it sure is a decent improvement.

#5 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

Played with 1.4 for a fair bit and absolutely loving it. It is definitely way more optimized and forum members in SkyrimNexus claim it renders the SkyBoost mod and similar optimizer mods as nearly obsolete now due to the improvements. I haven't experienced anything that broke for me yet so looking great so far. Can't wait for the Creation Kit.

#6 Posted by gjedwards (102 posts) -

does anyone know when this is released as non-beta?

#7 Posted by Grimluck343 (1148 posts) -

Wow, a 200MB patch? Thanks for the info, would have never found this on my own.

#8 Posted by FritzDude (2253 posts) -

@gjedwards said:

does anyone know when this is released as non-beta?

As with the Steam workshop, they're hoping for a release late this month. Which means sometime between late this week or early next. As for consoles - They're aiming for a cert submission this week to Microsoft and Sony - Which means a release sometime next week, or the week after (in February).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.