Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

PC and PS3 graphic comparison?

Thiemen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Thiemen

I know there's quite some difference between Skyrim's graphics quality on PC and consoles. My question was with which kind of quality level on pc can you compare the PS3 graphic with. There's low, medium, high and ultra on pc. Do the graphics look like medium, or high? Which one comes closest?

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ShadowSkill11

Who cares? The PC version of any multi-platform game always looks significantly better. Even for games like Skyrim that aren't even using DirectX11(pc only) features like Tessellation. Provided your computer isn't 10 years old.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AlexW00d

@Thiemen: Tbh the visuals on PC aren't particularly great, the textures are super low quality and the post processing isn't special, so if the consoles are anything less than medium I'd be bloody surprised.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By artelinarose

@AlexW00d said:

@Thiemen: Tbh the visuals on PC aren't particularly great, the textures are super low quality and the post processing isn't special, so if the consoles are anything less than medium I'd be bloody surprised.

I feel like we're playing a different game. There are spots where I've stopped while playing the PC version and just gone 'Wow, that looks REALLY good."

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AlexW00d

@Artemesia said:

@AlexW00d said:

I feel like we're playing a different game. There are spots where I've stopped while playing the PC version and just gone 'Wow, that looks REALLY good."

Really? Do you have the game on full settings? Maybe I am jaded after playing The Witcher 2, Metro 2033, and Battlefield 3 all on max settings, but this game is mediocre as anything in terms of visuals. From a technical standpoint anyway. The architecture of the towns and the vistas are all mostly great, but you try and look at any of them up close and your eyes will bleed. My modded Oblivion looks better in a lot of places.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#6  Edited By alistercat

Mixture of medium and high I imagine. The main benefit to the PC is slightly higher resolution textures, but mainly the resolution of the game.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Zelyre

@AlexW00d said:

@Artemesia said:

@AlexW00d said:

Really? Do you have the game on full settings? Maybe I am jaded after playing The Witcher 2, Metro 2033, and Battlefield 3 all on max settings, but this game is mediocre as anything in terms of visuals. From a technical standpoint anyway. The architecture of the towns and the vistas are all mostly great, but you try and look at any of them up close and your eyes will bleed. My modded Oblivion looks better in a lot of places.

Skyrim from a distance looks amazing. Up close, yeah, it crumbles fast and hard.

There are some set pieces though, that look really lovely. There's an underground garden, a few dungeons, and some other areas that, from a distance make me go -print screen-.

On top of that, the game hasn't been out for a week yet, and the modding community is going crazy, even without the creation kit. Bethesda made texture modding very easy and installation of said textures is very easy as well. Like: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=114

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Brendan

I wish I could install mods :( It never seems to work for me. I suck.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Zelyre

@Brendan said:

I wish I could install mods :( It never seems to work for me. I suck.

They removed the archive invalidated requirement from Skyrim, which was a stumbling block for lots of people.

For texture mods, just put them in your /data folder if the package has a file called /textures. If it has a folder called /data, click that, then move the /textures folder into your /data folder. That's it when it comes to Skyrim texture replacement. To uninstall, just delete whatever folder was installed into /textures. Skyrim now looks to the texture.bsa or whatever it is first, and then uses anything in the loose folders as over-rides.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Evilsbane

@AlexW00d said:

@Artemesia said:

@AlexW00d said:

It isn't as good as Witcher 2 or BF3 but it is still a really nice looking game, and the textures just don't seem that bad to me I have heard a lot of complaints but at the worst some of them are just ok but I have yet to see one that made me wanna run for the hills, all in all the game is quite striking the weather is awesome the mountains look fucking amazing with the cloud cover character models are nice and after I tweaked the ini to do self shadows on rocks and trees being in a forest is sick, its not the next Crysis but after some texture mods come out and the ini gets broken down some more it will get up on that level.

Marnox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Marnox

I really see no difference in those two pictures.

soapcell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By soapcell

@Marnox said:

The cupboard and left wall is less muddy in the modded one.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zelyre

@Marnox said:

Click to expand. If you really don't see a difference, then... I dunno. At a glance, I guess there's no difference.

I always play a thief/assassin type character, though. I move through environments very slowly and I always look all over the place. I also paint miniatures and compose music, so I do look at things at a macro level and a micro level. The left hand wall texture looks like the base texture, however, resampled to a larger size, sharpened, and then the modder added paint chipping effects. The cabinet goes from brown to having wood grain, nails, cracks. Its the texture pack I've been using, so I chose examples from that.

Also, you'll see a huge difference once people have Skyrim for more than six days. People only just learned how to extract textures from the BSAs using the New Vegas editor a few days ago.

This one's from Bandu's HD Iron Shields. http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=355&navtag=file/images.php?id=355&tab=3

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.