Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Pissed off Hadvar, now he's insane! Help!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Insectecutor

Early on I made a choice I regretted - I followed Hadvar. I didn't really understand what that meant, and by the time I got out into Skyrim I'd realised I would've preferred to be a rebel. No problem, I thought, I'll just kill Hadvar and run off to the Stormcloaks.

So I knock this asshole down but he won't die. He gets up, now he's incandescent with rage and won't leave me the fuck alone. He chases me to the ends of the world. I managed to escape into a mine, cleared it, and carried on toward Riverwood. Who's waiting for me there? Pissed off Hadvar and his dad, who immediately also becomes pissed off. They're invincible furious nightmares. I can't advance the main quest because they attack on sight.

Am I screwed? I'm thinking this early on I should just restart, but I'd be disappointed if there wasn't a way out of this, like a way to change my allegiance for example. Any ideas?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Hizang

I would recommend you start again.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By shirogane

I havn't gone down the Hadvar route, but those 2 characters don't seem essential to the main story quest. You can easily get the quests to continue on from elsewhere, of course i couldn't say where since i don't know your side very well, but the involvement of the other guy is pretty low so far. That said, having him chase you around the world might not be so nice, and you're still pretty early in, might as well restart ya?

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Insectecutor

I suspected that might be the response. Kind of a shame to hit a dead end so early. I'll have to be more careful next time.

Thanks

normalpants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By normalpants

@Insectecutor said:

Early on I made a choice I regretted - I followed Hadvar. I didn't really understand what that meant, and by the time I got out into Skyrim I'd realised I would've preferred to be a rebel. No problem, I thought, I'll just kill Hadvar and run off to the Stormcloaks.

So I knock this asshole down but he won't die. He gets up, now he's incandescent with rage and won't leave me the fuck alone. He chases me to the ends of the world. I managed to escape into a mine, cleared it, and carried on toward Riverwood. Who's waiting for me there? Pissed off Hadvar and his dad, who immediately also becomes pissed off. They're invincible furious nightmares. I can't advance the main quest because they attack on sight.

Am I screwed? I'm thinking this early on I should just restart, but I'd be disappointed if there wasn't a way out of this, like a way to change my allegiance for example. Any ideas?

exact same thing happened to me and i had to start a new game. this was the first event in a series of disappointments that colored my day 1 Skyrim experience.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By jayjonesjunior

@normalpants said:

exact same thing happened to me and i had to start a new game. this was the first event in a series of disappointments that colored my day 1 Skyrim experience.

disappointment? but that sounds so awesome!!

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I've yet to play Skyrim, but in Oblivion if you held down block and pressed A you could "surrender" to an NPC who you accidentally hit and pissed off. Try that?

Whitehat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Whitehat

This happened to me too. If you put your weapon away you submit to him and he stops attacking you

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bicycleham

@TheMustacheHero said:

I've yet to play Skyrim, but in Oblivion if you held down block and pressed A you could "surrender" to an NPC who you accidentally hit and pissed off. Try that?

They've changed it to simply sheathing the weapon but that rarely works.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Hailinel

You're not obligated to join the imperials. Hadvar just makes that suggestion to you.

Whitehat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Whitehat

If submitting to hadvar fails go to whiterun and submit to a guard that fixes it too

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By ImperiousRix

In Oblvion, there used to be a (albeit subtle) icon that denoted when a character was "essential" and thus could not be killed permanently. Is this not the case with Skyrim, and wouldn't that have tipped you off you couldn't kill him?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By AndrewB

Is there any sort of yield option? In Oblivion, you could hold block and try talking to someone to get them to yield (wouldn't work on naturally hostile enemies and monsters, of course). I haven't found any such thing in Skyrim yet myself.

Whitehat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Whitehat

In Skyrim you yield by sheathing your weapon (Or lowering your hands if you're a magic user)

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By wmoyer83

I did the same thing. I just started over, and made a better character while I was at it.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MikkaQ

You probably should have just left him alone. He doesn't care who you join, and splits with you as soon as the tutorial dungeon is over.

Avatar image for thebritishslimzaptoz
    TheBritishSlimZaPToZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had the exact same issue, killed him at the exact same point, had Ralof and Hadvar attacking me. Tried using the console to enable and disable them, disable combat ai and all, none of it worked. I loaded a previous save, beforei saw Hadvar and Ralof in riverwood, outside Embershard mine. I stood there and waited for 3 in-game days. I then went to Riverwood, saw Hadvar and Ralof talking at the forge, they split up and neither attacked me. I think I fixed it permanently, but I'm not certain yet.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Havdar won't follow you everywhere. He hangs in the Riverwood section but if you leave it he'll leave you alone, and after a few hours he'll forget. there is no permanent aggro in this game. You can't kill him because he reappears in the Civil War quest line later.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@insectecutor: First of all, this story was HILARIOUS! Secondly; here's a fix. That is assuming you're playing on the PC

FusRohDardiar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FusRohDardiar

I had this issue and it's solved pretty easily. Go to the nearest major city that's controlled by imperials and get arrested. Pay your bounty or whatever just as long as they're not doing the "wait I know you" and he'll stop :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c802d5244530
    deactivated-5c802d5244530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow thanks for the hot skyrim tips

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By htr10

Cool, I remember reading this thread when it was new in 2011.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.