Poll: Best School of Magic

• 55 results
#1 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (102 posts) -

#2 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

Oh god don't make me choose!!

At the moment with Skyrim I really prefer Illusion for what it lets you do, though all the schools have their strong points. Not sure if Enchanting is a school and you are missing Mysticism.

#3 Posted by Maystack (905 posts) -

Toss up between Destruction and Conjuration. Went for Conjuration because the option of having two thralls following you around is too hard to pass up.

#4 Posted by Brodehouse (9887 posts) -

The one in Winterhold.

#5 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Resto because its always my friend even when I play Melee characters.

Destruction is a good runner up however, since burning/freezing/shocking fools is always, always satisfying.

#6 Posted by Entus (253 posts) -

Illusion and Enchanting. I don't really consider enchanting a 'magic' like the other schools though. Illusion for permanent invisibility and rage spells are are nice bonus.

#7 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Axeomancy.

#8 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Restoration, its easily the most useful.

#9 Posted by mikey87144 (1737 posts) -

I love all the schools but Conjuration is the strongest. Not only can you change the odds of every fight but you can also use your defeated foe as a new "ally".

#10 Posted by Nev (547 posts) -

Destruction, followed closely by Conjuration.

#11 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

Hogwarts

#12 Edited by HH (609 posts) -

the only spells my main uses at all anymore are light spells and detect spells, and I can't see them becoming redundant at any stage, so I say... Alteration.

#13 Posted by AndrewB (7592 posts) -

That master Illusion spell (Harmony) is pretty awesome. Creatures up to level 33 won't fight you, within a huge radius. That means you can just walk straight past most of your would-be enemies.

#14 Posted by FLStyle (4667 posts) -

Restoration kept me alive for the majority of my time in Skyrim.

#15 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

Alteration and Mysticism are my favourites

#16 Posted by Vexxan (4620 posts) -

Conjuration's pretty rad.

#17 Posted by BaneFireLord (2928 posts) -

Restoration is the only one I have made a mandatory skill on all my characters across the last three games.

#18 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Again, depends on your playstyle or "class". Generally, destruction, but only if you can enchant items so that you don't spend a single point of magicka when casting.

#19 Posted by pyromagnestir (4301 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Resto because its always my friend even when I play Melee characters. Destruction is a good runner up however, since burning/freezing/shocking fools is always, always satisfying.

the practical side of me wants to agree with this but...

@Maystack said:

Went for Conjuration because the option of having two thralls following you around is too hard to pass up.

this is where my heart goes. I like rolling with a mini army.

but man this:

@Entus said:

Illusion for permanent invisibility

sounds pretty good too. I wasn't aware of this spells existence. But my illusion is really high because I constantly muffle when I'm just walking about because I like the sounds of spell casting, so when I get back in the game I'm gonna seek this out.

#20 Posted by Moreau_MD (402 posts) -

I swear there is no mysticism skill in Skyrim?

#21 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1431 posts) -

The one with the hadoukens.

#22 Posted by BlindRapture (106 posts) -

Destruction is so terrible in Skyrim. Conjuration is king.

#23 Posted by Demoskinos (14778 posts) -

Illusion. Sneak+Calm= Game breaking. You can calm a charging enemy they will turn around and you can slit their throat. Rinse and repeat. Its glorious.

#24 Posted by HH (609 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

@Maystack said:

Went for Conjuration because the option of having two thralls following you around is too hard to pass up.

this is where my heart goes. I like rolling with a mini army.

Same. Except... the dumb shits are afraid of water, and rocks, and jumps, and any kind of a drop. it's like taking toddlers out for walkies. so not worth the hassle.

#25 Posted by President_Barackbar (3455 posts) -

Have to go with Destruction, especially due to them gutting Conjuration in Skyrim. The necromancy spells are kinda cool, but I would've rather had more summons.

#26 Posted by Fattony12000 (7317 posts) -
#27 Posted by Scarlet_Rogue (499 posts) -

DeVry

#28 Posted by jasonefmonk (350 posts) -

Enchanting shouldn't be listed as a school really. As far as crafting it's the most over-powered though. I feel like using breaks the game too much for me.

Destruction is fun, and I have yet to try conjuration but it looks bad-ass.

#29 Posted by Ulain (315 posts) -

@Fattony12000 said:

Invasion era? That's the best you could find? Pfft.

I said conjuration, because destruction was bleh in this one, and mysticism doesn't exist. If this was Morrowind, I'd say Enchanting, since you could put just about EVERY spell onto an item, and it always worked, and with no stupid casting animation that could go all buggy.

#30 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

Destruction, then Restoration and Conjuration.

#31 Posted by Fattony12000 (7317 posts) -

@Ulain: No, what I posted was U, the most powerful colour in Magic. I chose to depict that with a U mana source. And because I like John Avon's work, I chose a great piece of art for it.

If I must give a serious answer...Enchantment is the most powerful school in all of Elder Scrolls, enchant five items with 20% permanent invisibility, and you become god.

#32 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

@Fattony12000 said:

Pft, Black 4 Lyfe.

Conjuration allows me to do such things as saving an Argonian from a well, traveling with him for hours upon hours, before taking him to Boethiah and sacrificing his flesh to her. Of course, I steal his soul for myself, use it to enchant a weapon of ridiculous power, place the weapon on his corpse, and then raise him as a Thrall.

And then I parade him in front of Lydia, just to remind her to pick the damn plates off the floor.

#33 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1328 posts) -
#34 Posted by LD50 (415 posts) -

I'm glad no one posted this shit...

#35 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Destruction.

#36 Posted by PenguinDust (12499 posts) -

I've heard at the higher levels Destruction loses its potency without mods. I personally like Conjuration because it instantly adds another fighter to the battlefield. That can divert the aggro from you to the summoned beastie. I have also heard that Illusion becomes more useful at the higher levels for a pure mage (again, assuming no mods).

Enchanting is the best, I believe but I don't consider it a school of magic. Like Alchemy it's its own discipline that happens to have roots in sorcery.

#37 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

F. I use healing more than offensive spells, so Restoration for me.

#38 Posted by Cheesebob (1236 posts) -

Swordomancy and bowism

#39 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

I chose Conjuration because endless arrows is great.

I also like pairing it with Illusion for silent casting and invisibility, so I can sneak around sniping with my conjured bow (made even better with the added ranged kill animations). I don't even bother summoning minions they just mess things up. If anything goes wrong, I can just cast invisibility and start over.

It's a fun way to play.

#40 Posted by getwimmy (33 posts) -

I almost think the question needs some qualifications. I think Destruction is the easiest answer because it's the simplest school. Though I'm sure Malviser would disagree, as would I like to. I'd love for Destruction to be full of physics based tricks and traps (more than Runes), like freezing the ground to make things slippery, or electrocuting puddles of water, or using fire/ice combination spells to flash-freeze things. But, sadly, that's not in the game and Destruction is simply weaponized magic in it's simplest form.

I voted for Alteration, primarily because of the sheer audacity that Paralyze allows.

#41 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

1. Destruction

2. Conjuration

3. Restoration

4. Illusion

5. Enchantment? ENCHANTMENT!

6. Alteration

#42 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

I would say mysticism but...

anyways, we all know that Conjuration is the best. Destruction used to be the best, but then they took away spellmaking so now you have to deal with pussy spells that only deal one type of damage, and no straight health damage spells either. Conjuration, however, is almost as badass as it was before (certainly lacks the variety of creatures and I preferred being able to summon Liches, skeletons, wraiths, and daedra to this pussy-ass necromancy shit), and the new Dongguard spells only served to make conjuration even more badass in comparison to the other schools.

#43 Posted by Beforet (2918 posts) -

A true wizard strives for synergy.

#44 Posted by MasterBrief (188 posts) -

Really wish I could've got my paralyze on my last character to not use almost all my magic at once.

#45 Posted by neverdeed (15 posts) -

if you didnt include glitches/broken code/stuff bethesda will never fix, i would say alteration is the most OP. because how the damage system is actually handled, rather than how everyone thinks it is handled.

the most powerful in the game though is restro, because bethesda will never fix their bad code, if you take the +25% spell damage to undead, and are an undead yourself you will get +25% damage globally to all enemies.

#46 Posted by TobbRobb (4607 posts) -

Alteration has the most spells you can screw around with.

Or wait, Skyrim has the walking on water spells etc.? I might be thinking of Oblivion... Fuck it, still alteration. I'm not interested in destructive magic in TES games.

#47 Posted by Skiiv (6 posts) -

Can anyone explain Alteration to me? I've played Skyrim for a while now, currently around level 27 and the only alteration spells I've come across are just lighting spells and oakflesh and i dont really think I'd have any use for them. I dont really get Alteration is there any advantages to using them because they kinda seem useless to me right now but i dont know if they have anything else to offer. Do i have to raise the skill level up to unlock different spells or something?

#48 Posted by believer258 (11814 posts) -

I really like Destruction, I find it pretty satisfying, but Restoration is hands-down the most useful and it's seemingly almost a must for any class, regardless of how you're playing.

#49 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1633 posts) -

I always go with destruction followed closely by resto. There's something about just shooting shit from your hands that makes things feel so right.

#50 Posted by gogosox82 (424 posts) -

In all honesty, its enchantment but that's not really magic spell you can use, its more of something along the lines of smithing. It's important and maybe borderline op when you have 100 in it along with alchemy, but you can't cast as enchantment spell. To me its conjuration followed closely by illusion. The bound bow is op, particularly early in the game, and you just run around one shotting things with it. Plus you can summon a small army around you. Illusion is awesome as well. There's something deeply satisfying about casting calm, letting the enemy walk away and then sneaking around behind them and slitting their throat with my assassin. Descrution's ok, but it doesn't really pay of for you end game imo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.