Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

(Possible Spoilers!!!) Have You Ran into Any Scary things Yet?

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By intro

Have you had a quest or just been in an area that was simply creepy or scared you?

(Warning you again, this might be a spoiler to some people)

Only thing for me was when I followed a guy into an abandon house in Markarth. He said the house was used for daedric rituals and I followed him in to help. The screen was getting dark, all the doors were locked and wind from insise was throwing shit all over the place. A voice was telling the guy I was with to kill me and crush my bones, we then had to fight to the death.

You guys have any "scary" experiences with Skyrim yet?

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By dillonwerner

I'm about 40 hours in and I can't say I have found anything remotely freaking in comparison to what I found in Oblivion.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

You tell me--is the Headless Horseman scary?

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By intro

Lol, that's pretty sweet.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By BaneFireLord

I made myself jump once, when I hit the Whirlwind Sprint shout when I was in the water. The instant I got on land, it activated. Keep in mind this was a good five to ten seconds later.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Intro said:

Lol, that's pretty sweet.

I chased him for ten minutes, and he finally disappeared. I never was able to hit him with my bow (or it passed right through him). He led me to a graveyard with a locked chest (master), disappointed that I couldn't open it. Also had 3 ghouls in it.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bicycleham

I lured a priest to a cave, put him on a table, killed him, then ate his body.

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By gearhead

Quest where I had to help this little ghost child out, who was murdered by her father's mistress. Was fucking disturbing, especially when I was talking to her coffin...

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MikkaQ

@Intro said:

Have you had a quest or just been in an area that was simply creepy or scared you?

Only thing for me was when I followed a guy into an abandon house in Markarth. He said the house was used for daedric rituals and I followed him in to help. The screen was getting dark, all the doors were locked and wind from insise was throwing shit all over the place. A voice was telling the guy I was with to kill me and crush my bones, we then had to fight to the death.

Oh my god, that scared the hell out of me. I wasn't expecting it at all. I just got out of there as soon as I could, kinda rejected the quest.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Deusx

Oh god I had to stop the game at one point. I entered a dungeon near the great beards temple when suddenly an agonizing voice said "go away... GO AWAY... DO NOT ENTER... go away please, just... go away... You shouldn't be here... Go away..." I nearly craped my pants and slowly went to the exit. That is (for some strange reason) one of the scariest things I've ever experienced in a game. It felt SO REAL. I was playing in the dark with headphones.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first dungeon I entered wasn't nearly as scary as that, but it certainly left an impression. In the first room, there was this artifact with light coming from it up to the ceiling, and dead bodies scattered around its base. Upon reading a diary in that room, I found out that the people had slowly gone mad under the influence of some dark master and threw themselves onto the artifact to kill themselves. I then proceeded through the dungeon, still green from the tutorial, fighting ghosts and meeting the drag'ur (sp) for the first time. I'd be sneaking through the crypts, become detected, and suddenly be surrounded by zombies and ghosts, sometimes with the drag'ur doing their normal business and slamming open coffins. Not scary persay, but startling to say the least. It also didn't help that from coming from hundreds of hours of Oblivion, I didn't even bother trying normal weapons on the ghosts until I was almost done with the dungeon. I thought I had to use magic or silver weapons (such a great change to an annoying system.)

It may not be the type of story you're looking for, but it was a creepy ride for sure. The atmosphere in the dungeons is improved tenfold over Oblivion.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Vexxan

One of those big rats scared the hell outta me last night. A bunch of them appeared from nowhere and went straight for my face, stupid rats.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By JasonR86

No. But I've run into things that were intimidating. The very first dragon fight, giant fight, and a fight with a queen trying to resurrect a God come to mind.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By mesoian

Honestly, I find the dwarven ruins to be scarier than anything else in the game, mostly due to the fact that everything is so loud and always clanking and banging that you can't effectively hear if anyone is around the corner. It makes me go just a bit slower around corners.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Driadon

@Deusx said:

Oh god I had to stop the game at one point. I entered a dungeon near the great beards temple when suddenly an agonizing voice said "go away... GO AWAY... DO NOT ENTER... go away please, just... go away... You shouldn't be here... Go away..." I nearly craped my pants and slowly went to the exit. That is (for some strange reason) one of the scariest things I've ever experienced in a game. It felt SO REAL. I was playing in the dark with headphones.

There's a quest for that dungeon that is kinda neat. You should check out the Inn nearby and snag said quest.

Anyway: So far not a whole lot yet, but seeing as they are going nuts with the more Morrowind-esque Daedric ruins and rituals, I expect there will be much to come.

Whitehat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Whitehat

I got scared by Morokei because he kept emptying my magicka every time I entered a new room.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Milkman

@Deusx said:

That sounds fucking terrifying.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#18  Edited By Hailinel

Not so much "scary" as it was a hilariously lame attempt by an NPC to be scary, but if you've been to the Barrow I'm alluding to, you'll probably agree that was pretty amusing.

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By linkster7

@Intro said:

This, but the voice was telling me to kill the guy I was with. The guy was standing by the exit yelling at me to get out. So I slit his throat.

I felt pretty creepy being the evil son of a bitch in that scenario, but hey, the evil voice told me to.

bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bunnymud

@Gearhead: I thought that she was a vampire, locked in her coffin. I was afraid that I was gonna have to let her out and fight her.

MidgardDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MidgardDragon

@Intro:

*spoiler for sidequest*

Sheogorath's bit freaked me out at first 'cause I wasn't expecting it, but it's more funny than scary once you get going.

BlinkyTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BlinkyTM

Yeah, I jumped a few times. Mainly because stuff attacked me when I was checking out some sweet loot. Then I died and loose the sweet loot. So, solves that problem :P

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Jumped of shock a few times. I scare easily in games and haven't gotten that scared yet. Molag Bals quest was fucking fantastic. Creepy as hell, not that scary though.

magnum45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By magnum45

@DillonWerner said:

I'm about 40 hours in and I can't say I have found anything remotely freaking in comparison to what I found in Oblivion.

What did you find in Oblivion, if I might ask? :)

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By SerHulse

@Mesoian: Oh god yeah, I was in a Dwemer ruin last night, all of the machinery banging and knocking in the background creeped me out, you can't hear the Spheres or Spiders coming at you, then I entered an area were there was no noise and fucking Lydia breathed right behind me and I lost it, felt like killing her there and then!

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dillonwerner

@magnum45 said:

@DillonWerner said:

What did you find in Oblivion, if I might ask? :)

Well this one time I was exploring by a river and I came across a desolate church. Upon entering I noticed dead bodies everywhere, hanging from the ceiling, nailed to the wall, ad the blood..dear lord the blood. I moved a little bit more into the main room to find necromancers doing rituals with dead body parts around them. Freaky shit.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Deusx

@Driadon said:

@Deusx said:

There's a quest for that dungeon that is kinda neat. You should check out the Inn nearby and snag said quest.

Anyway: So far not a whole lot yet, but seeing as they are going nuts with the more Morrowind-esque Daedric ruins and rituals, I expect there will be much to come.

Oh god I won't get that quest.

@Milkman said:

@Deusx said:

That sounds fucking terrifying.

It was... Never going into that place again.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SuperWristBands

This one time I was fighting a dragon, I turned around to follow it after it flew into the air and a bear was in the middle of lunging at me. It killed me one hit and made me jump.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By fetchfox

@Linkster7: I was told the same as you. Still haven't finished the quest, but I don't mind doing some dirty for some Daedric princes. But other than that? Random blood dragons barbecuing my ass makes me jump, but it's mostly the dungeons that creep me out. Such an eerie feeling over them.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By project343

I accidentally found Krosis at around level 15. That was not fun at all, and was certainly pretty terrifying.

*Edit: I also found a quest in the most disturbing way. There's a house in Windhelm. Outside is a mother and son, and he son asks the mother if it's haunted, or if the owners are insane--one of the two remarks. Mother says to stay away from that house. Now, this peaked my curiosity. I decided to break into the house, and the place was a grim mess. On the top floor, I found a young boy, body parts, and a ritual commencing. He was trying to summon a member of The Dark Brotherhood to murder someone for him.

Never know what you're going to find when you break into someone's house.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By intro

@project343 said:

I accidentally found Krosis at around level 15. That was not fun at all, and was certainly pretty terrifying.

*Edit: I also found a quest in the most disturbing way. There's a house in Windhelm. Outside is a mother and son, and he son asks the mother if it's haunted, or if the owners are insane--one of the two remarks. Mother says to stay away from that house. Now, this peaked my curiosity. I decided to break into the house, and the place was a grim mess. On the top floor, I found a young boy, body parts, and a ritual commencing. He was trying to summon a member of The Dark Brotherhood to murder someone for him.

Never know what you're going to find when you break into someone's house.

Haha yeah, that's a great way to get it.

More spoilers about Dark Brotherhood: Had to hide to in the night mother's coffin and her corpse started talking to me. I somewhat expected it, but it was still creepy.

Also, I really like where the dark brotherhood story is going.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#32  Edited By fox01313

Found it quite scary on the 2nd dragon killed off on top of a mountain (near Whiterun if I recall in the level 15-20 range with a sneaky character/archer) then after barely surviving having the dragon priest pop up & kill me hideously quite often until coming back to do the following. Go back first to just run to the wall of text to get the dragon shout, then a few levels later come back sneaking & start arrow sniping the priest to slowly hurt it enough for me to load up on poisons to try to kill it. Find out that the dead dragon has been reanimated, then after it was done finally killing the priest & getting the wicked cool mask that boosts archery, alchemy & one other rogue skill.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#33  Edited By fox01313

@MidgardDragon:

Looking forward to seeing this after finishing up the thief guild quests to get that established again but fondly remember the Sheogorath quest from Oblivion as one of the most hilarious points in that game (with the village of cat people & the dangerous omens) so expecting Skyrim to be just as bananas with him. (tip for those starting this quest, go to Solitude & look for some guy wandering near the graveyard, you'll know when you fund him when he starts talking about the quest)

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@BaneFireLord said:

I made myself jump once, when I hit the Whirlwind Sprint shout when I was in the water. The instant I got on land, it activated. Keep in mind this was a good five to ten seconds later.

God yes this. The sound effect for shouts is super loud and that bug makes it come outta nowhere. 

Oh and once I was out wandering and one of those giant spiders snuck up on me and gave me a jump scare. That's about it though.
    Jimmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jimmi

Doing the investigating the burned house at night quest in Morthal. Gave me goosebumps.

Deathshroud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Deathshroud

Trying to decide to go with Stormcloaks or Imperial

extront

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By extront

in the quest for the gold dragon claw when first encounter with restless druagur, killed the first batch fine and looted the ones that stayed in the holes, went up to the restless druagur and tried to loot him but some reason was un able to after a few tries it suddenly turns its head and looks at me and gets out of its resting place and starts attacking me, freaked the hell out of me

_Jelly_Fish_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do the missions for the college of winterhold when you go to labrynthian...bloody creepy...

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By noblenerf

I came across an escaped slave high up on a mountain during a snowstorm. She pleaded with me to help her. During this conversation, a bear ran up from behind and swiped her back, instantly killing her. It is one of the most shocking things I've ever seen.

Edit: Almost forgot, but I once got picked up by a dragon and dropped(?) during a dragon fight, killing me. Never happened again, but it was really freaky.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.