Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

PS3 Lag issue going to be fixed in update 1.4.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Hizang

Bethesda have confirmed via twitter that the PS3 lag issue with Skyrim (The longer you play for the worse the games frame rate gets) will be delt with later this month.

All I can say is about bloody time!

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Hizang said:

Bethesda have confirmed via twitter that the PS3 lag issue with Skyrim (The longer you play for the worse the games frame rate gets) will be delt with later this month.

They said that about the other updates as well. They only kinda fixed them. Thats not even a real confirmation sadly. Its more of "ya we are working on that" Something they AGAIN said about all the other patches. 
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By N7
    @The_Laughing_Man: The first patch they said they were going to fix it. They didn't fix it. They broke a bunch of other things.

I hope they do it this time.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Hizang

@The_Laughing_Man: I hope that having the extra 2 months worth of time mans that they truly have fixed it this time.

Vestigial_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Vestigial_Man

Hooray... I guess. It'll be good to know it'll won't become a problem in future but I haven't had too much trouble with it thus far.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By huntad

I am still unconvinced that they can even fix it. I would love to be proven wrong, though. I'm not eagerly awaiting the patch, since I haven't played the game since it came out, but I'm curious to see what it actually does.

Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mikewrestler5

At this point, it's too late for me to care. I've been done with that game for quite some time.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By JoeyRavn

@huntad said:

I am still unconvinced that they can even fix it. I would love to be proven wrong, though.

Same here. It sounds really fishy that 1. they hadn't noticed these issues before launching the game and 2. that it took them so much time to fix them. It'd be awesome if they actually fix the freezes and lag, but, alas...

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By mesoian

@Hizang said:

Doubtful, it was supposed to be resolved with the last 2 patches.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Marcsman

How the hell does this shit get past the QC department? Whoever tests these games really sucks or does not give a shit.

QKT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By QKT

they made a new bug in the last update, bodies and items keep vanishing.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12  Edited By mesoian

@Marcsman said:

How the hell does this shit get past the QC department? Whoever tests these games really sucks or does not give a shit.

It's impossible that this wasn't found before the game shipped. They probably simply let it go with the intent on fixing it later. They didn't want to miss that holiday window, and for good reason.

Bethsedia isn't the only company that does things like that, they're just the ones that get caught the most often due to the scale of their games.

m1m1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By m1m1c

Hey just wondering if anyone else experienced what i have with skyrim, basically yes my main characters game was getting slow especially after playing for hours on end it would eventually just freeze, my file was over 10,000kb i think, but after a while (this was about a month ago) the save files that i was creating were actually going down in size and i was never experiencing any slowdown (this character has about 140 or so hours logged, just so you know).

flanker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By flanker22

i'm sure they were aware of the issue, but memory issues like this typically mean huge rewrites for code. and considering that the game had to make a 11.11.11 release that was set in stone, it was the compromise they had to take. considering ps3 is the worst selling of the franchises and the most difficult and most constrained memory architecture cant really blame bethesda for the result.

other games dont have persistent worlds like Bethesda games so a game really like this simply dont work well with ps3 hardware limitations. everyone blames bethesda but honestly it was sony's decisions to split memory architecture which has always been a problem for third party developers. you talk to any developer the biggest pain in the ass for console development is not having enough memory most apparent in the ps3.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By N7
    @flanker22: Fallout 3, Oblivion and Fallout New Vegas say hello.

Ironically enough, those were all Bethesda games too!
    flanker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By flanker22

@N7 said:

@flanker22: Fallout 3, Oblivion and Fallout New Vegas say hello. Ironically enough, those were all Bethesda games too!

what are you trying to say, the ps3 had similar issues in those games as well but took longer to manifest, its just that the modified engine for skyrim pushes memory constraints more so, possibly because they've allotted more memory to textures, animations, npc behaviors.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MideonNViscera

Nothing worse than being bored and finished with a game before it even works eh? heh

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By N7
    @flanker22: Actually this is not true. I know that from seeing it first hand. You see, I actually managed to fix this issue of Skyrim on the PS3. I was a victim of this terrible framerate, constant crashing and literally unplayable game. But then one day I went in, loaded it up... What's this? No hitching? No stopping all of the sudden? Aha! It does this sometimes, it'll be back to broken soon enough.

Five hours later. Several dragon fights. Going in and out of every major town in the game(Going to Solitude froze the game for at least 30 seconds for me) with absolutely no freezing whatsoever. The game was fixed. I fought several bandits, all of my dragons had textures, instead of floating black blobs. Everything worked perfectly. I ended up walking from Solitude to Whiterun and then some a-ways past it just exploring.

The frame rate was just like I had begun the game anew. It was steady, solid, full 60FPS, as if I had started again. Opening up menus and doing anything was instant and there was nothing stopping me. Then I saved, quit and went to bed. When I woke up, it was back to broken.

There is an issue within the game that causes this to happen. I know of people who are 90 hours in the game and say there are no problems to be found(Other than the occasional freeze) so I'm not too sure what you're on about. If what you said was true, every copy of Skyrim on the PS3 would be broken and unplayable, instead of it just being a really common case where 5/10 people seem to suffer. And I'm also sure I wouldn't have been able to just fix if it were a problem with the console itself.

If it were a problem with the PS3, they couldn't fix it at all. But they claim to have found the issue and fixing it in the next patch.
    strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By strainedeyes

"We're addressing that" in no way implies "That will be fixed".

kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kmg90

@N7 said:

@flanker22: Actually this is not true. I know that from seeing it first hand. You see, I actually managed to fix this issue of Skyrim on the PS3. I was a victim of this terrible framerate, constant crashing and literally unplayable game. But then one day I went in, loaded it up... What's this? No hitching? No stopping all of the sudden? Aha! It does this sometimes, it'll be back to broken soon enough. Five hours later. Several dragon fights. Going in and out of every major town in the game(Going to Solitude froze the game for at least 30 seconds for me) with absolutely no freezing whatsoever. The game was fixed. I fought several bandits, all of my dragons had textures, instead of floating black blobs. Everything worked perfectly. I ended up walking from Solitude to Whiterun and then some a-ways past it just exploring. The frame rate was just like I had begun the game anew. It was steady, solid, full 60FPS, as if I had started again. Opening up menus and doing anything was instant and there was nothing stopping me. Then I saved, quit and went to bed. When I woke up, it was back to broken. There is an issue within the game that causes this to happen. I know of people who are 90 hours in the game and say there are no problems to be found(Other than the occasional freeze) so I'm not too sure what you're on about. If what you said was true, every copy of Skyrim on the PS3 would be broken and unplayable, instead of it just being a really common case where 5/10 people seem to suffer. And I'm also sure I wouldn't have been able to just fix if it were a problem with the console itself. If it were a problem with the PS3, they couldn't fix it at all. But they claim to have found the issue and fixing it in the next patch.

Skyrim runs "locked" at 30FPS on both consoles, you must have the same treatment that Brad has had with this game having a different game then everyone else

flanker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By flanker22

ya as kmg90 said skyrim on consoles run at 30fps. stuttering was slightly improved eurogamer did a indepth analysis of it. but the reason this is probably happening is because the game essentially runs out of memory and has to constantly do memory page swaps. this takes looting hundreds of chests and bodies and throwing crap on the ground. eventually those item locations eat up all the memory on the ps3.

While the 360 and the PS3 each cumulatively have 512MB, the PS3 OS has a larger footprint and its split memory architecture 256MB vram, 256MB cpu memory (XDR ram), means worse memory utilization.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.