PS3 performance?

• 56 results
#1 Posted by yevinorion (699 posts) -

So Bethesda doesn't have the greatest track record of good performance on the PS3 versions of their games, so do any of you guys who have it on PS3 have any major complaints? How's the framerate? Any screen-tearing? I'm not worried about graphic comparisons as that stuff isn't usually noticeable when they're not side-by-side.

#2 Posted by synysterd (19 posts) -

I am playing the PS3 version and I haven't had any problems at all with it

#3 Posted by KarmaPoliceman (143 posts) -

It's been great for me in my 10 hours so far. The first 30 minutes had a bad framerate for me, but it has been fine ever since.

#4 Posted by sanchopanza (247 posts) -

@synysterd said:

#5 Posted by KingX (220 posts) -

worked like Oblivion did, which worked smooth. Ive seen far more reports on various bugs on the 360 version than on the ps3 actually.

One thing I noticed last night though was that the game suddenly went bad on framerate and so on.. but today when I fired it back up again all was nice. A friend had the same problem and he just restarded his machine and everything was running smooth again. Don't know if anyone else has witnessed this.

#6 Posted by MAST (734 posts) -

There was a couple parts where I lag, like when a dragon is flying around breathing fire on everything, and there are a million archers shooting their bows at it, but other than that it's fine.

#7 Posted by BasketSnake (1213 posts) -

I'm something like 15 hours in and not once has there been a moment where framerate has ruined the gameplay for me. I think it's solid all the time. I'm playing the xbox version but I can't imagine the PS3 is any different. The more I play the more I want.

#8 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@axlrose15 said:

@synysterd said:

Count me in.

#9 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I have the PS3 Version, I have had

• No Frame rate problems.
  • No loading issues.
  • No lockups.
  • I have had some textures not load in at all, but that happened like once in 7 hours.
  • Runs really well.
#10 Posted by yevinorion (699 posts) -

Thanks for the info guys, glad to see it doesn't seem like the mess Fallout 3 and New Vegas were. Can't wait to get my copy on Monday.

#11 Posted by Vitor (2822 posts) -

@yevinorion said:

So Bethesda doesn't have the greatest track record of good performance on the PS3 versions of their games, so do any of you guys who have it on PS3 have any major complaints? How's the framerate? Any screen-tearing? I'm not worried about graphic comparisons as that stuff isn't usually noticeable when they're not side-by-side.

The PS3 version of Oblivion was the best one. Admittedly it was released a year after the 360 build though.

Videos online are showing the PS3 as having better textures generally, not sure about performance.

#12 Posted by AndyD74 (169 posts) -

I've had a few instances where the screen would freeze, making me think my playstation locked up. But, after a few seconds it would continue. I don't know what that was about.

#13 Posted by biomajor09 (25 posts) -

Yeah I have had the same issue as andyd74 but I just waited a sec and it worked fine.

#14 Posted by thechronodarkness (294 posts) -

@Vitor: The pc version has something to say about that 'best' one. Imagine playing oblivion at 60fps.

I'd say if you're honestly worried about the ps3 version though, just rent it through redbox. Bethesda usually knows how to make a great game, so I would trust the ps3 version.

#15 Posted by shotgunsullivan (29 posts) -

some framerate issues when dragons are on screen but nothing that breaks the game.

#16 Posted by dropabombonit (1491 posts) -

Had the same problem as Andy D74 but that was only in the first 30 mins and has been fine ever since. 10 hours into now

#17 Edited by KingX (220 posts) -

@AndyD74 said:

I've had a few instances where the screen would freeze, making me think my playstation locked up. But, after a few seconds it would continue. I don't know what that was about.

I think its because its saving the game.

and for those that are still curious.. even IGN has this short video where they tell that the ps3 version has nothing that is faulty either sinc they finally have been able to test it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8P_FPKWD00

#18 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5834 posts) -

I was having all sorts of framerate issues during the introductory segment, but that's really the only time I ever noticed anything weird.

#19 Posted by Punk1984 (549 posts) -

My only problem was that the fist time I played the opening the dragon never breathed fire to kill the executioner...I had to restart, no problems since.

It is hard to see the view distance and textures on the PC version and not be jealous though.

#20 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

Thanks, dudes! I'm gonna pick this up for the holiday break.

#21 Posted by Vitor (2822 posts) -

@thechronodarkness said:

@Vitor: The pc version has something to say about that 'best' one. Imagine playing oblivion at 60fps.

I'd say if you're honestly worried about the ps3 version though, just rent it through redbox. Bethesda usually knows how to make a great game, so I would trust the ps3 version.

Meh, I meant out of the consoles.

I've played Oblivion maxed out on my rig with all the visual mods installed and it does certainly stand apart. Skyrim's looking pretty nice too also on high settings at 1080p. Surprised by how well that Gamebryo engine is still holding up.

#22 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

i guess its just me then, but i get lock ups quite a lot :/.

#23 Posted by rawrsair (821 posts) -

I've had a few framerate issues and one occasion where it locked up on a loading screen (luckily I've been saving loads so I didnt lose anything) but apart from that, it's been great

#24 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Yeah when people say best one it's obvious the console version is being spoken about, PC being better is just a given. Don't be dumb.

#25 Posted by Tearhead (2169 posts) -

@DonPixel said:

@axlrose15 said:

@synysterd said:

Count me in.

Same for me, and I'm like 12 hours in.

#26 Posted by c0kemusheen (64 posts) -

I have it on PS3 and the frame rate is surprisingly solid. If there ever is a drop it is extremely minor and rare, no game-breaking bugs or texture problems yet (10 hrs in). This is definitely the BEST PS3 Bethesda release ever, many people are saying that the PS3 version is better than the Xbox, but im sure its very close. So have no reservations about getting it on Playstation, its a fantastic game!

#27 Posted by Hailinel (24969 posts) -

My game looked like it had frozen for about five seconds while it was loading the character generator. I had momentary flashbacks to Fallout 3's PS3 GOAT exam glitch before it finally continued, but otherwise, no major issues.

#28 Posted by IrishBrewed (150 posts) -

I'm on a pc playing ultra, but the PS3 footage I have watched in 1080 p trumps the 360 by far.

#29 Posted by KingX (220 posts) -

@billyhoush said:

Thanks, dudes! I'm gonna pick this up for the holiday break.

you're in for a treat! =)

#30 Posted by IrishBrewed (150 posts) -

Watch in 1080p. pc version is the best but the ps3 is second with the 360 tailing the pack.

#31 Posted by QKT (250 posts) -

@IrishBrewed: that's pretty funny, cos if you read the kotaku comments on the article that featured that, you see they say ps3 is the worst looking.

(that means that it's not)

#32 Posted by MidgardDragon (152 posts) -

I'm playing on PS3 and like many people had a lockup during the opening (not the auto-save, before that during the carriage ride). However this was a one-time occurrence and it hasn't done anything remotely like it since then.

#33 Posted by Hemmelight (164 posts) -

I've had a lock up in the intro (I think when it autosaves?) but nothing after that. The framerate sucked for the first few areas as has been mentioned, and it's mostly smooth now that I'm in the game proper. I had some REALLY bad slowdown while fighting inside that Fort on the way to Ivarstead though. 3 enemies and Lydia all fighting at once. For some reason I get really bad slowdown in there. Other than that, it's fine.

I'm kind of kicking myself because it turns out I can actually run the PC version respectably on my Imac. Damn.

#34 Posted by KingX (220 posts) -

there are more or less the same sort of issues on both consoles. but I would be suprised if there won't come a patch to fix these issues soon. We all remember the Oblivion patching on the 360 right? how many was it? 15-20 in total? :D

#35 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

It's running pretty damn good. As someone else mentioned, I have noticed some frame rate drop with the second dragon I encountered, but not the first. But other than that I am really impressed with such an open world having such great graphics.

#36 Posted by mikey87144 (1781 posts) -

Multiple reports say it's the best version on console.

#37 Posted by Polydeukes (98 posts) -

The only real problem I have on the PS3 version is some sound stutter out in the open world, especially around rivers and waterfalls where there are a lot of sound effects happening at once.

#38 Posted by Tsoglani (585 posts) -

I have had no frame rate issues or lock-ups, or anything of that matter, so I am very happy with the PS3 version's performance so far. I am also a bout 12 hours in, so obviously a long way to go. The worst I can complain about is some ugly close-up textures, but that is relevant to all versions apparently. Really impressed actually.

#39 Posted by GS_Dan (1403 posts) -

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the PS3 port of Oblivion was better than the 360 version. The Fallout games weren't though I don't think.

#40 Posted by Soap (3595 posts) -

I've had a weird static noise that I thought meant my HDMI cable was dying and a single lock up but other than that it's all good.

#41 Posted by Hemmelight (164 posts) -

I'm a bit farther in now (about 12 hours) and I'm loving it. Will still get it on Steam eventually.

#42 Posted by StefanTheMongol (52 posts) -

PS3 version is fine.

#43 Posted by Krampus (141 posts) -

I only had the game lock up on me once and that was after a 7 hours joy marathon of straight gameplay. Other than that I have had not issues except with one dragon now having the textures load correctly. But considering it's Bethesda I was prepared for things to be much worse and I've been really surprised with how polished everything is for the PS3.

#44 Posted by KingX (220 posts) -

@GS_Dan said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the PS3 port of Oblivion was better than the 360 version. The Fallout games weren't though I don't think.

oh yes it was.. the fallout games not so much :D

#45 Posted by AwesomeAquaman (164 posts) -

I'm ps3 and I haven't had any problems.

#46 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2994 posts) -

So far the game has not crashed at all for me and I've played it up to level 15 or so. The one complaint i do have however is the game will turn into a slideshow in terms of frame rate every once in a while especially if you're sprinting in the cities oddly enough. It will also dip down into a slideshow often in combat leaving you guessing where you would be aiming at the moment you press the trigger if based on the previous slide. When this happens the game always recovers immediately though so It's easy to let it slide.

#47 Posted by TheInsider (50 posts) -

After watching the Kasavin 12 hour marathon I was surprised how quickly the PS3 version loads compared to 360, but I didnt put a stopwatch on it or anything. Pleased how nicely it runs with no lockups for me in 15 hours.

#48 Posted by lordofultima (6252 posts) -

About 90 hours in with a 13MB save file, the framerate renders the game unplayable at times, and is only remedied for a short time, by rebooting the system. I'm talking like 3-5 FPS while walking through a forest, Whiterun, or fighting a dragon.

#49 Posted by MidgardDragon (152 posts) -

An update, now that I'm further into the game, the framerate does drop in towns if you play for a long period, but a reboot remedies it.

#50 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

@MidgardDragon: Same issue but I had the game running for 8 hours straight by mistake. Reboot took care of it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.