Question about damage

#1 Posted by JBird (489 posts) -

So i've been wondering this for a while.

Say i have a weapon that does 50 damage, and it says that it does 20 shock damage and half as much magicka damage. Does this mean that overall the weapon deals 30 normal damage, 20 shock damage and 10 magicka damage...or does it mean that it deals the 50 normal damage, plus the 20 plus the ten...bringing the total to 80 damage?

I know its a dumb question but its somthing I can't find an answer to!

#2 Posted by buft (3316 posts) -

Magicka damage means it takes ten points out of their blue bar so it doesnt kill them but i believe the shock and physical stack. so in this case you do 70 damage and reduce the targets total magicka by 10.

#3 Posted by Eurobum (244 posts) -

Take a weapon enchant it, see how displayed damage has changed, that's one way to discover it yourself. Or compare magic weapon to base weapon of the same type.

Also magicka damage, erases the enemy magicka not HP.

#4 Posted by theodacourt (530 posts) -

I guess I don't know for sure, but I've always assumed that it's the base damage with the bonus damage on top. It wouldn't make sense to fold in all the bonuses into the damage number, because some bonuses of weapons don't have anything to with damage. For instance, a standard Glass sword compared with one which also has fire damage, both have the same damage number, except one has extra fire damage in the description. It has to be a bonus on top really, but I don't know for a fact but I'm pretty convinced.

#5 Posted by JBird (489 posts) -

cheers guys!

#6 Posted by Ulain (315 posts) -

@JBird said:

So i've been wondering this for a while.

Say i have a weapon that does 50 damage, and it says that it does 20 shock damage and half as much magicka damage. Does this mean that overall the weapon deals 30 normal damage, 20 shock damage and 10 magicka damage...or does it mean that it deals the 50 normal damage, plus the 20 plus the ten...bringing the total to 80 damage?

I know its a dumb question but its somthing I can't find an answer to!

It's just like it says: 50 flat damage, plus 20 Shock Damage; most shock spells do half their damage to magicka, just as cold spells would deal half to stamina.

If the weapon runs out of charge, it will only do the 50 damage. Like said, it's base damage with a bonus attached.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.