Recommended Mods

#1 Edited by hussatron (189 posts) -

Many of the recommended mod lists out there are outdated with mods listed that fix problems or add features that are now included in the patched game. So what are the current mods you would recommend people check out?

The mods I'd recommend are:

Better Horses: Add a power which allows you to summon your horse from anywhere and have it follow you or stay. Also allows you to tweak horse stats such as health and stamina. Make sure you read the readme for this one.

Realistic Lighting With Customization: Basically makes everything darker and a little more "realistic." You will need torches or light spells to make it through dungeons. It's definitely not for everyone, but I like that it gives lighting items/spells a purpose in the game.

#2 Posted by konig_kei (622 posts) -

Sky UI and this LOTR weapon pack, all you need.

#3 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Sky UI and Moonpath to Elsweyr

#4 Posted by Tamaster92 (271 posts) -

Armoured horses - a enb profile - jaysus swords - high res textures

#5 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -
  • Realistic Lighting w/ Customization
  • Apocalypse Spell Package
  • SkyUI
  • Better Sorting
  • A Quality World Map w/ Roads
  • Categorized Favorites Menu
  • Unofficial Skyrim Patch
  • W.A.T.E.R. - Water and Terrain Enhancement Redux
  • Weapons of the Third Era
  • Warzones: Civil Unrest
  • The Dance of Death
  • Faster Horses
  • UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul
  • JaySuS Swords
#6 Posted by Bane (426 posts) -

I've spent some time testing mods and made a Google spreadsheet to keep track of everything. If I had to pick my top five that haven't already been mentioned I'd have to say:

• 4: Skyrim Community Uncapper. Tweak the leveling system to your exact specifications.
  • 205: Rayek's End. The best secret lair a dovahkiin could ask for.
  • 500: Duel - Combat Realism. I usually play a warrior type and I really enjoy the changes this mod makes to combat.
  • 1000: RCRN. My favorite lighting mod.
  • 1005: Convenient Horses. The best horse mod there is. I urge you to check it out if you're using some other horse mod.
#7 Posted by hussatron (189 posts) -

@Bane: Thanks for sharing that spreadsheet! Based on it, I think I'll give Claralux a try. I've been using Lanterns of Skyrim to add some light to the world, but Claralux seems more robust. Also, I'll definitely give Convenient Horses a try (hopefully, I can successfully uninstall Better Horses first though).

#8 Posted by cloudnineboya (822 posts) -

unofficial skyrim patch

open cities skyrim : main doors are open so no loading.

chopping block /wood fire fix.

static mesh improvement.

best one : Terran bump . makes the game look amazing.

faster vanilla horses

item sorting

better quest objectives.

realistic ragdoll and force.

enhanced game play wilderness: more bears shit yea nnd other animals.

wild horses.

follower map markers.

ruins clutter improvement hd.

cool one:moon earth 1 secunda :gives skyrim a other worldly feel .

longer days: 1hour. daylight savings man

more dynamic shadows and stripping :

realistic map +roads.

i got so many more installed theirs ones for more trees/grass better mountains/ice. watery rocks adds a nice touch

check out the collections on steam workshop you will find so many good mods there. man the mods make skyrim such a different game i love it.

#9 Posted by Bane (426 posts) -

@hussatron: You're welcome. Keep in mind the notes may not apply to you or your machine. For example, there's nothing wrong with the mods in red. I'd use them if I could but my 560 Ti inside an otherwise four year old machine just isn't up to the task unfortunately.

#10 Posted by gtg12 (67 posts) -

There is a cape mod and a bunch of house mods. Oh, and instead of getting that planet you can get the death star which is pretty cool.

#11 Posted by Orbitz89 (229 posts) -

@gtg12: That's no planet.. It's a moon.

Wait.. I think i fucked up.

#12 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

Sky UI, better blood textures, better water textures and believable hair, just to name a few.

#13 Posted by hussatron (189 posts) -

After giving Convenient Horses a try, I think I can recommend it over Better Horses, although Better Horses is a simpler mod that does what it sets out to do well. I really like that I can talk to people while on my horse using Convenient Horses. I also can recommend Claralux to anybody wishing to add some more light sources (fire, torches, lanterns, etc.) to the land of Skyrim.

#14 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

No one's mentioned Apachii's SkyHair yet? Bah y'all are a bunch of mop wearing neanderthals!

Riverside Lodge (with Sauna) is my fave player house mod so far.

Hmm what else hasn't been mentioned... Oh! Omegared99's Armor Compilation. That's a pretty great one, too.

#15 Edited by Tru3_Blu3 (3211 posts) -

Better item sorting

Categorized Favorites Menu

SkyUI

Skyrim Monster Mod

Swift Potion

Deadly Dragons (spell crafting, armor, and loot from dragons can be found on the page)

Sounds of Skyrim (Dungeons and exterior environments)

MOVE IT, DAMN IT!

Jaysus Swords

Weapons of the Third Era

You want food to be useful, and you want Skyrim to have a major focus on survival?

Frostfall

Imps More Complex Needs

Camping Kit of the Northern Ranger

Want more content in Skyrim?

Moonpath to Elsweyr

And of course, SKSE is a recommended default EXE for Skyrim, in which is allows thousands of mods to work (like SkyUI).

I also recommend WryeBash. It will allow Level-Listed mods to be combined, making the new weapons and enemy spawns compensate for your level. It also decreases the possibility of your mods corrupting your saves and your game.

#16 Posted by PenguinDust (12533 posts) -

I'd suggest:

1. Categorized Favorites Menu
  2. Cooking Recipe Pack
  3. Craftable Torches
  4. Forgeable arrows
  5. For female bodies, either CBBEv3 or UNP depending on your preference with the new textures mod from navetsea and Better Males for guys. You have to look them up since the pages are NSFW.
  6. In addition to Apachii's Sky Hair, take a look at numenume Hair for some more choices.
  7. Now, since my character has this nice hair, I want to see it so I'd also suggest Hide Headgear Display
  8. Also, it's a bit of a cheat but it makes life so much easier, Unread Books Glow.

When I had everything set in place, I enjoyed fiddling around with Skyrim NPC Editor 0_75_1. It allows you to change the appearance and other traits of NPCs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.