Returns of the PAX Character Creation Video (for now)

#1 Edited by Storms (341 posts) -

            
             Sept. 6th 2011 edit: 

 
WELL, THE VIDEO'S DOWN AGAIN. I'LL REPOST IT RIGHT HERE IF IT GOES BACK UP 
 
   Again, notice the weight slider... a small disappointment in what will be GOTY.
#2 Posted by DaemonBlack (342 posts) -

About what I expected from the character creator. Not sure why the weight slider is a disappointment though.

#3 Posted by Bollard (5551 posts) -
@DaemonBlack said:

About what I expected from the character creator. Not sure why the weight slider is a disappointment though.

Yeah I was confused about that too.
#4 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1199 posts) -

The inventory looks pretty cool, from what I could see and the loading screen (i think) was a bit more fall-out-y (level bar, info. on weapon). Weight shouldn't be a disappointment though, Bethesda have already dropped weapon condition and repairs, they're not going to drop encumbrance.

#5 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -

Did you know - Wood elves are 50% resistant to disease and poison. They can use Command Animal to make an animal their ally, for a short time.

#6 Posted by JP_Russell (1171 posts) -

Hold on a minute.  Can anyone make out what the second slider in the list says?  It kind of looks like "Presets" to me, but it's just fuzzy enough that I'm not sure.  And if you look at the top of the screen, you see tabs for which cateogry the player is in.  The player is in the body category, so if the second slider says presets, then I would presume that's the slider to switch between the two body types.  Figures that it'd be the only one that isn't clearly legible in the video.

#7 Posted by Stealthmaster86 (655 posts) -

Don't see anything wrong with a Weight Slider. I can see my self taking my sweet ass time making my character like I did with Oblivion. Only this time it won't look as goofy. Thanks New Engine!

#8 Posted by JP_Russell (1171 posts) -
@Stealthmaster86 said:


                    Don't see anything wrong with a Weight Slider. I can see my self taking my sweet ass time making my character like I did with Oblivion. Only this time it won't look as goofy. Thanks New Engine!

                   

               

He's pointing out that there appears to *only* be a weight slider.  Bethesda made it sound like you could choose between a light and heavy body type, both of which could then be customized more granularly (such as with a weight slider).  However, if my previous observation is correct, there may actually be a body type selecter visible in the video.
#9 Posted by Storms (341 posts) -
@DaemonBlack@Chavtheworld@TEHMAXXORZ@Stealthmaster86:  
 
@JP_Russell said:
@Stealthmaster86 said:


                    Don't see anything wrong with a Weight Slider. I can see my self taking my sweet ass time making my character like I did with Oblivion. Only this time it won't look as goofy. Thanks New Engine!

                   

               
He's pointing out that there appears to *only* be a weight slider.  Bethesda made it sound like you could choose between a light and heavy body type, both of which could then be customized more granularly (such as with a weight slider).  However, if my previous observation is correct, there may actually be a body type selecter visible in the video.
Yes, that's what I was referring to. 
 
When I read the first or second GameInformer article on Skyrim, they made it sound as if I could make a skinny or fat character. 
 

I hope you're right, JP. But I didn't see a "Preset" option (and that is what it says, if you watch it full size) under Face or Race, although those went by lightning fast. Since we already know there are preset character appearances, the one under Body would have to control face, hair and tattoos. It doesn't completely rule out body types but it makes it unlikely.
#10 Edited by JP_Russell (1171 posts) -
@Storms said:



                    @DaemonBlack@Chavtheworld@TEHMAXXORZ@Stealthmaster86:  
 

@JP_Russell

said:


@Stealthmaster86

said:


                    Don't see anything wrong with a Weight Slider. I can see my self taking my sweet ass time making my character like I did with Oblivion. Only this time it won't look as goofy. Thanks New Engine!

                   

               
He's pointing out that there appears to *only* be a weight slider.  Bethesda made it sound like you could choose between a light and heavy body type, both of which could then be customized more granularly (such as with a weight slider).  However, if my previous observation is correct, there may actually be a body type selecter visible in the video.

                   

               
Yes, that's what I was referring to.  When I read the first or second GameInformer article on Skyrim, they made it sound as if I could make a skinny or fat character.  I hope you're right, JP. But I didn't see a "Preset" option (and that is what it says, if you watch it full size) under Face or Race, although those went by lightning fast. Since we already know there are preset character appearances, the one under Body would have to control face, hair and tattoos. It doesn't completely rule out body types but it makes it unlikely.

                   

               

I guess.  I was thinking that since the preset label was in the body category, it wouldn't make any sense for it to apply to the face presets we already knew about (because I was thinking within the Fallout 3 mold of presets).  But since the body is customizable this time, I suppose those presets don't just apply to faces and complexion anymore. 
 
So yeah.  Seems like body types are probably out.  But, oh well, a weight slider is still better than nothing.
#11 Posted by DaemonBlack (342 posts) -

@Storms: More customization is almost always a good thing, so if you can't change your body type I guess that's a shame.

Then again, I only make male and female supermodels whenever there is a character creator so I wouldn't have been making any obese dovahkiins.

#12 Posted by Storms (341 posts) -
@DaemonBlack said:

@Storms: More customization is almost always a good thing, so if you can't change your body type I guess that's a shame.

Then again, I only make male and female supermodels whenever there is a character creator so I wouldn't have been making any obese dovahkiins.

Ha, I just wanted to make a fat Breton alcoholic that dual wields staves. Oh well, plans are made to be broken. Just need to come up with something new...
#13 Posted by bioblood22 (420 posts) -

Thanks for the vid Storms.

#14 Posted by Moonshadow101 (568 posts) -

I was actually looking for this video earlier, after seeing a locked thread on Beth's forums.

Not actually as illuminating as I'd hoped. Very little to see.

Still, good job.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.