Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Rumour: Skyrim on Next-Gen?

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Could Skyrim be making its way to next-gen systems?

An email sent out earlier today may indicate Bethesda will be announcing this on the 12th of January. Along with the email, the Bethesda website lists Xbox One and PS4 versions of the game on its product listing. One thing of note with the product listing is that the versions of the game that have already been released, such as the Xbox 360 version are highlighted with a link, while the next-gen versions are not, yet.

It seems odd that Bethesda would be updating the game for next-gen consoles due to its age, but I suppose it’s not out of the question as Tomb Raider is doing the same thing. ..

Redditors are confirming they got the email so this seems pretty legit.

OnlySP: Bethesda Website Lists Xbox One and PS4 Version of Skyrim on Game Page

http://bethsoft.com/en-us/games/skyrim#

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=748364

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

And I tried this myself, and took the adjacent screenshot. Seems legit, and all that. You would think it would include the DLC, huh? I've actually never played it because PS3 version didn't seem worth it, so this would be nice. Anyway, so announcement on Sunday.

And you would think that Fallout 4 is still in the works, right? Thoughts?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I'm pretty sure the only reason Skyrim appeared on the 360/Ps3 is because of how over-long the generation was. They actually had time to put out three games on those consoles. Fucking nuts when you consider how much time big Bethesda games take.

I'd be all for this re-release, though. So long as the game takes full advantage of the next gen consoles' capability. Don't need another texture problem.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

If it includes all DLC and has faster load times and better textures, I'd probably be down to burn a couple hundred hours...again...

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By BaneFireLord

Tomb Raider I can understand, but Skyrim? Feels a little late (or far too early).

EDIT: Son of a bitch, that email image has the same font, date arrangement and formatting (including the lines on top and bottom) as that damned Survivor hoax from last month. Now I'm all angry.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blu3v3nom07: Bethesda is in the US. Why would they post the date day/month/year instead of month/day/year? Seems suspect. This stuff pops up about once a month, it seems like. I guess one of these times it's bound to be true.

Regardless, I'm not really interested in reinvesting in Skyrim. I put a ton of time into it already and better graphics aren't enough to make me want to start over. Maybe if it's easy for them to port it'll be worth it for those who do want to revisit or missed out the first time.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By MariachiMacabre

This would be a good way for them to say "Hey, we can actually make it work on a Playstation console now!"

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking: If *this* is the one thing that turns out to be true out if all the Bethesda rumors....sigh.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

new wave of next gen HD releases. Sounds good since there is no backwards compatablity. Just wish they could mark down 20 bucks.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@banefirelord: That's kind of how I feel. I'm really pulling for something Fallout. Elder Scrolls is great and all, but those games are dense and I sort of burnt myself out on that universe for a bit. It'd be nice to see something different. Fallout 4 on XB1/PS4 would be great.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By bigjeffrey

have never played it aside from the opening and first town. if it's $40 i'll get it.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@hatking said:

@blu3v3nom07: Bethesda is in the US. Why would they post the date day/month/year instead of month/day/year? Seems suspect. This stuff pops up about once a month, it seems like. I guess one of these times it's bound to be true.

Regardless, I'm not really interested in reinvesting in Skyrim. I put a ton of time into it already and better graphics aren't enough to make me want to start over. Maybe if it's easy for them to port it'll be worth it for those who do want to revisit or missed out the first time.

It very well could have just been to accommodate the obviously European recipient of that particular email.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried playing Skyrim with a controller once. Didn't like it.

If it includes all DLC and has faster load times and better textures, I'd probably be down to burn a couple hundred hours...again...

I don't know why they don't make the saves compatible or convertible.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I played the game at max settings so in order for me to wanna play it again they're really gonna have to totally redo the way the game looks. And I'm not just talking better textures. I want, like, a total overhaul.

So I guess what I'm saying is I want The Elder Scrolls VI.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I'd rather see porting over of old content to new consoles in the interim of new games releases than to see this vortex of nothingness since the launches (even if this news wouldn't impact me personally because I've played the PC version to death already). Those are the types of things which can be handed off to small teams or outsourced anyway, meaning no development time is taken away from their new projects.

Plus, it would be nice for more people to be able to experience how amazing Skyrim can look.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Strife777

I've played enough of that game (over 200 hours, I believe), and I wouldn't play it anywhere other than on PC. One of the few series where I'm comfortable saying that.

I also don't think that would be such a great idea, but hey, I guess if they can make console versions that actually work, more power to them. /hyperbole

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jimmyfenix

Remake Fallout 1 , 2 and Tactics for next gen ! #Believe If it is Skyrim on next gen that would seem...cool.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NTM

I found Skyrim boring for the ten hours I played of it, but perhaps next-gen will make me interested in trying it out, if I like what I see, if it actually happens...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
    deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

No.. that's fonts from Fallout.. Fallout 4.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By peritus

Yep!

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turtlebird95: Kind of them to actually say it's a hoax, as opposed to last time.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By EXTomar

Although they might not sell that well, as long as the porting is quick and painless and priced right, Skyrim on new consoles is a good idea.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.