Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Should I go back and play Oblivion?

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By RedRoach

As far as I know, TES games are not direct sequels. I'm just wondering if the experience itself is worth it. Keep in mind a few things:  

• I'll be playing it on the 360 
    • I played Oblivion a few years ago but never got past the first dungeon area, the combat felt like it was just click to swing sword without any fun abilities.
    • I just recently fell in love with RPG's
    • One of my favourite RPG's in recent memory is  DA: Origins

For that matter I guess, does it seem like I would enjoy Skyrim? I know it's early to ask a question like this but you guy's might be able to help me out a bit.
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By JoeyRavn

TES and Dragon Age have totally different control schemes. Dragon Age is turn-based (though it's done in a fashion it looks real-time). Skyrim will probably have the same type of combat Oblivion has, completely real-time. If you didn't like it in the first place, you could try replaying it to see if now you do, but don't expect miracles. Chances are you won't like Skyrim either. I always find much more enjoyable to play a spellcaster or archer class in Oblivion than the archetypical sword-and-shield warrior, but that's just me.

Also, playing it on PC is a much different (and better) experience than playing it on 360, so go for that you can. 

Edit: 700th post! I feel like Batman.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RedRoach
    @JoeyRavn: congrats, and thanks for the reply, my friend said he saw Oblivion for only $10 at EB so, hey it's worth a shot, and like I said I've become more interested in RPG's lately. 
     One more question though, While I can live with not that great combat as long as the other parts of the game redeem it, does the combat get much better than "click to swing sword"?
    fourby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By fourby

Oblivion is a quality gaming experience, but some part of that comes from tailoring your expectations. Expect some bugs and NPC weirdness, and maybe the occasional physics freak-out or pathfinding failure.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By butano
    @Jason_Bourne said:
    " @JoeyRavn: congrats, and thanks for the reply, my friend said he saw Oblivion for only $10 at EB so, hey it's worth a shot, and like I said I've become more interested in RPG's lately.  One more question though, While I can live with not that great combat as long as the other parts of the game redeem it, does the combat get much better than "click to swing sword"? "
    You can also click to cast spell! 
    /sarcasm 

But seriously, the combat doesn't get much more in-depth than that, unless you head over to TES Nexus and download the Deadly Reflex mod. 

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By alexl86

I think the swordplay in Oblivion is better than most RPGs. There's no dice rolling; if you're standing close enough, you'll hit. Of course, your attack might be blocked. The 360 version plays surprisingly well, and the only thing you're really missing from the PC version is the construction set.

If you decide to level up your melee combat skill (either Blade, Blunt or Hand-to-Hand), you'll get a few attacks that can disarm, knock down or paralyze enemies, but there's always a chance it won't work. You get similar benefits from leveling all skills, though magic skills only give access to more potent spells.

The biggest flaw in Oblivion is that the stats of the creature are based on your level. That's fine for the first 30 levels, but after level 30 the creatures don't change anymore and they can get pretty resilient at level 50+. You stop leveling when all your class skills or attributes are maxed, but most enemies are fairly powerful by then.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By c1337us

Oblivion is an amazing game and I think you should give it another chance.

mado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mado

Oblivion is an awesome experience. Many of my mates didn't even touch the main quest and spent a lazy 100 hours in the game having loads of fun. There is plenty to do with side quests and the guild stuff is amazing. I would definitely recommend getting the PC version (if possible) because there are an endless amount of mods out there to better the experience ie. fix the enemy levelling (the oblivion zones are so damn hard without it), update graphics textures and all kinds of cool things.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rowr

Hmmm, hard to say.

If you have some patience and time to get right into it you will probably enjoy it.  Otherwise it might feel a little dated. The main story isnt especially gripping after the first few missions. the appeal is really in the open world freedom and the ability to go and do whatever you like.

The combat does wear thin, if you do decide to give it a go i would recommend playing as a magic class to give you some variety with the combat.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Example1013

If you're planning on just using swords and you didn't like it before, you probably won't like it now. 

That said, magic is really where it's at in Oblivion. With spells and alchemy, you can pretty much artificially give yourself mastery over both the martial and magical skills, max out your stats, etc. etc. 

And besides that, blowing shit up is awesome. And that's exactly what you do with spells.

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By UncleDisco

The best advice for really enjoying Oblivion is just ignoring the main quest line, and just go do want you want to do.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By armaan8014

I love Oblivion, I think im gonna cry.
    *Controls feelings*
    Anyways, I recently continued my old save game and had a blast playing it. Went to Cheydinhal, shot an arrow at an orc, who got attacked by three guards, who then started fighting with each other and then killed each other, while i stood and watched.
    Then I went to talk to one of the guards and he said "Stop right there criminal scum!"
    I love oblivion :'*

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By armaan8014
    @FlemmingM said:
    " The best advice for really enjoying Oblivion is just ignoring the main quest line, and just go do want you want to do. "
    THIS THIS THIS. I've started the game multiple times and have put about 50 hrs into it, and never even started the main quest line. My Oblivion is just a beautiful land where i explore and do side quests (esp with those awesome texture mods on :D)
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Play Two Worlds 2 it's better than Oblivion.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Shadow

It takes a while to get to the point where your guy/girl is powerful enough for it not to be sort of a bit of a trudge through it.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By penguindust
    Oblivion is a lot of fun especially on the PC when you toss in a bunch of community crafted mods.  The question I have is have you played Fallout 3?  There are some slight differences between the two games, the largest being "VATS", but if you liked the adventure and exploration of that game, you'll probably like Oblivion, too.  Unlike Dragon Age: Origins, this is a very big open world and it needs to be fully explored.  There's little hand-holding, too so you could just walk right past the entrance of a dungeon full of fat loot and never realize it.  Also, the monsters all scale with you so even rats can be dangerous when you're level 20.  Combat can be a chore depending on where you focus.  Really consider your character when you start.  I found that creating my own character-class is the best way to play since you level depending on what skills you use over and over again.  I suggest "Restoration", "Security", one of the two armor focuses (light or heavy), and whatever weapon type you plan to use the most (blades, bows, maces, etc...).  I'm a chatter, too so I always take "Speechcraft".  Anyway, deciding what your skills are going to be can go a long way to extending your enjoyment of the game.   

Oblivion is one of my all-time favorite games and was probably the game I spent the most time with last year.  It's just a big-big world with lots to explore and something new always seems to be around the bend.
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By onarum

Sure, I mean TES games are very self contained when it comes to story, so you won't be getting nothing that will set up skyrim for you, but it is still a good game that will give you dozens of hours of gameplay so, I don't see why  you shouldn't.

@Shadow said:

" It takes a while to get to the point where your guy/girl is powerful enough for it not to be sort of a bit of a trudge through it. "

Actually you can pretty much finish Oblivion at lvl 1 if you want, due to the game's horrid monster leveling system, one of my biggest gripes with the dumbing down they did, but still a good game none the less if you just ignore that.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By pweidman
    @Mr_Skeleton said:
    "

Play Two Worlds 2 it's better than Oblivion.

"

While Oblivion is awesome and well worth your time tc, this post doesn't lie.
    Harmonican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Harmonican
    @Jason_Bourne said:
    "As far as I know, TES games are not direct sequels. I'm just wondering if the experience itself is worth it. Keep in mind a few things:  
    • I played Oblivion a few years ago but never got past the first dungeon area, the combat felt like it was just click to swing sword without any fun abilities.

For that matter I guess, does it seem like I would enjoy Skyrim? I know it's early to ask a question like this but you guy's might be able to help me out a bit.
    "
    • No!
      * Oblivion without mods? That would make it even worse. 
      *Yeah, good call the first time. 
      *Well I hardly even consider Oblivion to be an RPG. 
      * Then go play Knights of the Old Republic insted.

Yes, I don't like Oblivion that much (will still probably check out Skyrim though).
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Demyx

Heroes of Might and Magic has a very interesting combat scheme. I hope Skyrim has combat a bit more dynamic.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By FancySoapsMan

If you have the patience for it play Morrowind instead

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By TheHBK

The thing about the TES games is that they are kinda of sequels.  They actually follow the story of Patrick Stuart.  I think they all take place with in a few years of each other.  The first game taking place about 35 years before Oblivion with Daggerfall and and Morrowind in between.  But Skyrim takes place after all that shit 200 years after.

Flooder_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Flooder_delete

I think Oblivion is still a great game and so is Morrowind.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Gabriel

Oblivion is great, but don't be expecting a great narrative and such after coming off a bioware game. Make your own fun and murder someone ASAP so you can do the Dark Brotherhood Quest line. I'd also recommend doing the Shivering Isles.

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By A Likely Story
    @Jason_Bourne said:
    " @JoeyRavn: congrats, and thanks for the reply, my friend said he saw Oblivion for only $10 at EB so, hey it's worth a shot, and like I said I've become more interested in RPG's lately.  One more question though, While I can live with not that great combat as long as the other parts of the game redeem it, does the combat get much better than "click to swing sword"? "
    If it's only ten bucks then I say go for it. Even if it's only the console version, you'll probably get some fun out it. It's not a bad game, it's just got a lot of big flaws that really hinder its RPG experience. 

The combat, unfortunately, doesn't get much better. Even with magic and archery thrown in it'll still become pretty stale after a while, but it never really was that big of a deal for me, at least on my first playthrough or two.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#27  Edited By Hizang

If your gonna get it get it before Skyrim, otherwise you might not be-able to get into it
    ToxikPandaKoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ToxikPandaKoi

yes go and buy it from gamestop for like 15 bucks. the hundreds of hours are definitely worth the monies and you will get a much better feel for skyrim I think.

ToxikPandaKoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ToxikPandaKoi
    @Harmonican said:
    " @Jason_Bourne said:
    "As far as I know, TES games are not direct sequels. I'm just wondering if the experience itself is worth it. Keep in mind a few things:  

"
    • No!
      * Oblivion without mods? That would make it even worse. 
      *Yeah, good call the first time. 
      *Well I hardly even consider Oblivion to be an RPG. 
      * Then go play Knights of the Old Republic insted.

Yes, I don't like Oblivion that much (will still probably check out Skyrim though).
    "
    I want you to explain to me how oblivion isn't an RPG at all. Because it's pretty much the definition of a good RPG. It has all the elements and even if you don't like it I don't understand how it isn't an rpg?
    SonOfABlogger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SonOfABlogger

If your looking for a nice 80 hour medieval swords and magic title, Oblivion is perfect.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By demonbear

Oblivion aged but its still a great rpg. Play it, but stick to the main storyline, otherwise you'll get lost and never finish it, like most people I know.

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By SBYM

I played through Oblivion for the first time around 2 months ago on 360 and had a great time, got about 50 hours of fun before I decided I was done with it.

Zafmg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Zafmg
    @demonbear said:
    " Oblivion aged but its still a great rpg. Play it, but stick to the main storyline, otherwise you'll get lost and never finish it, like most people I know. "
    Don't take this man's advice, the best parts of Oblivion are the parts that have nothing to do with the incredibly bland main storyline.
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#34  Edited By project343
    @Jason_Bourne: The answer is always yes. Oblivion was amazing and still is amazing. Like most WRPGs, you need to invest time--let the systems sink in, let the world take you, and enjoy the ride. I've been playing my way through the latest Divinity II re-mastered edition; same deal. Took me about 10-15 hours of playtime to really 'get it.' Now, I'd happily say that I love the game.

If the melee combat wasn't for you, consider rolling a stealthy archer, a mage, or even a battlemage. Here's the thing with Oblivion: if you want it to play a certain way, then do it. Merge some spells into your arsenal--level up some alteration and destruction. Hotkey a bow to your d-pad.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By Red

Oblivion is a very, very sloppy game. It has many, many flaws, be them myriad technical hitches, bland combat and a pretty terrible main questline. However, if you can look past those flaws, you'll find a fun RPG. It's all about how much you're willing to put into it. As far as combat goes, just find something that works for you, or, if you really don't want to deal with it, just move the difficulty way down.

Regardless, if it's $10, get it. The Dark Brotherhood Questline is amazing enough to be worth $10 by itself.
    Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Green_Incarnate

If you think the melee combat is boring, try being a mage. There are plenty of different spells to keep it interesting. Try the paralysis, invisibility, destruction, and conjuration spells. You'll eventually be able to create your own.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#37  Edited By Hizang

Yes, its still an incredably good game to this day, hundreds and hundreds of hours of content
    Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#38  Edited By Kyle

At this point I wouldn't recommend anyone go back and play Oblivion, since Skyrim is so close to coming out. 

Avatar image for starfishhunter9
    Starfishhunter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Starfishhunter9

Yes! If can pick it up for less then $10 (you should be able to if you look) then it is definitely worth your time

Harmonican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Harmonican
    @ToxikPandaKoi: Sure.
    To begin with I would say that the most important aspect of a "real rpg" is the ability to role play. To create a character that is defined by dialog and actions, not by picking a race or a class. And when you consider the non-existent story and character progression in Oblivion (seriously, Diablo has a more engaging story), then that status is something I consider impossible to achieve. Oblivion to me is a dungeon crawler (and a broken one at that) more like Diablo and Torchlight and there is no way I would consider any of them "real rpgs". Same thing with most "j-rpgs" that are nothing more than action adventures.

Generally I think the rpg term is used way to casually when people try to define games. Just because a game has rpg elements doesn't make it an rpg, and a  first person game with guns shouldn't automatically be considered a shooter. Deus Ex is a real rpg, (not the hybrid it is often described as) it has shooter elements, but it's not the defining characteristic of the game, even if you use guns a lot. Oblivion is not a real rpg, even if you can create a class, do quests and have "dialogs" (not really). 

If someone  state that they like rpgs like Dragon Age: Origins (as the TS did), why recommend a game like Oblivion? The only thing they have in common are the fantasy setting. However, if you are looking for a slightly broken action adventure, then you might be on to something.
    Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Grimluck343
    @Harmonican said:
    " @ToxikPandaKoi: Sure.
    To begin with I would say that the most important aspect of a "real rpg" is the ability to role play. To create a character that is defined by dialog and actions, not by picking a race or a class. And when you consider the non-existent story and character progression in Oblivion (seriously, Diablo has a more engaging story), then that status is something I consider impossible to achieve. Oblivion to me is a dungeon crawler (and a broken one at that) more like Diablo and Torchlight and there is no way I would consider any of them "real rpgs". Same thing with most "j-rpgs" that are nothing more than action adventures.

Generally I think the rpg term is used way to casually when people try to define games. Just because a game has rpg elements doesn't make it an rpg, and a  first person game with guns shouldn't automatically be considered a shooter. Deus Ex is a real rpg, (not the hybrid it is often described as) it has shooter elements, but it's not the defining characteristic of the game, even if you use guns a lot. Oblivion is not a real rpg, even if you can create a class, do quests and have "dialogs" (not really). 

If someone  state that they like rpgs like Dragon Age: Origins (as the TS did), why recommend a game like Oblivion? The only thing they have in common are the fantasy setting. However, if you are looking for a slightly broken action adventure, then you might be on to something.
    "
    Role playing is based on the user, not the game. Open world games that reward players for exploration (like Oblivion with its ruins and caves with treasure) encourage role playing that much more. If you wanted to use the strictest definition of "role playing" then wouldn't the only games that qualify be pen and paper RPGs?
    Harmonican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Harmonican
    @Grimluck343: It's not so much about strict definitions (because I don't think you could find any) as it is about my definitions (thats what the guy asked for). A crpg (this is what we are talking about after all, pen and paper rpgs are irrelevant here) in my world is all about the game. If I wanted to imagine things on my own I would look some place else. Oblivion creates a good world for exploration and adventuring  (or it tries to) , but that is not what I expect from the rpg genre (but since I'm game for a good adventure  I'm still carefully optimistic for Skyrim). I want an interactive story that  I can form to my own through a character that I create, as in Dragon Age: Origins for example.

Oblivion has almost nothing in common with the Black Isle/Bioware lineage of rpgs and I think it's strange to put Oblivion in the same genre as Baldur's Gate or DA:O. It only helps create confusion.
    Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Agent47
    @Mr_Skeleton: .........I can't tell if you were serious or not...were you?
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Mr_Skeleton
    @Agent47: I am, Oblivion was great for it's time but it had a lot of problems which are very obvious by today's standards. Now im not saying Two Worlds 2 is the best game ever but it has a style similar to Oblivion and once you get past the first act it actually becomes pretty fun.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By valrog

No.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BaneFireLord

I don't think you would like Skyrim or Oblivion if you didn't like Oblivion's combat. Oblivion is my favorite game of all time and I would love it if everyone everywhere played it, but if you couldn't get past the starter dungeon because you hated the combat,  you should definitely skip Oblivion and definitely not buy Skyrim. If you like DA, just play older Bioware games (I'd recommend Neverwinter Nights. Get it at GOG.com).

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BaneFireLord
    @demonbear said:
    " Oblivion aged but its still a great rpg. Play it, but stick to the main storyline, otherwise you'll get lost and never finish it, like most people I know. "
    But the main story is the most boring part...
    thecablekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49  Edited By thecablekid
    @Jason_Bourne:  I just recently went back to the game and it is still a blast to play. While it may seem a little dated it is still a really cool overall experience, just know that it is a HUGE time sink (my play-through was 40 hours +). I would say go and play it for a couple of hours and if you don't like it don't sweat it.
    Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Grimluck343

@harmonican Ah I see, I thought you were trying to define what an RPG should mean to everybody. Glad I didn't post the longwinded response I had initially written up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.