Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Should I Join or Destroy the Dark Brotherhood?(Possible Spoilers)

Joker369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Joker369

Hey Guys,

I have finally started sinking some time into this game and have just encountered the Dark Brotherhood. I have the choice to either join or destroy them but I can't decide on which to choose. Is there any better option in terms of loot and story? I kinda have a good guy persona going and want to keep it but if the joining is a lot better then I will just go with that. Any opinions?

Thanks

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BrockNRolla

Um... I'm not sure what you're talking about. When are you given the option to destroy them?

Avatar image for belligerentengine
    BelligerentEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BelligerentEngine

@BrockNRolla said:

Um... I'm not sure what you're talking about. When are you given the option to destroy them?

When you kill Astrid instead of the hostages.

In my opinion as a good guy the Dark Brotherhood quest-line is kind of impossible to justify. The thieves guild I was able to kind of pseudo explain to myself, via a combination of robin hood esque behavior and not doing any of the framing quest. Dark Brotherhood is just pretty much irreconcilable. Personally I was much happier with choosing the destroy option and saving the quest-line for an alternate more thematically appropriate character.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BrockNRolla

@BelligerentEngine said:

@BrockNRolla said:

Boy, I really don't remember that being an option. Can you be a bit more specific about where you get that mission? I'm very curious.

jimjimman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jimjimman

@BelligerentEngine said:

@BrockNRolla said:

*slaps forehead* I never thought of doing that..

BelligerentEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BelligerentEngine

@BrockNRolla said:

@BelligerentEngine said:

@BrockNRolla said:

Boy, I really don't remember that being an option. Can you be a bit more specific about where you get that mission? I'm very curious.

It's not a mission, when you wake up in the hut she says, "you've got to kill someone to get out of here" or something. Which gives you the opportunity to intuit that maybe you can kill her. Doing so results in her kinda doing some weird shadow step attacking thing but eventually when you kill her she whispers, "well done".

For the record I also killed the khajit since he was a rapist fuckhead.

Once you kill Astrid you get a quest that says to talk to guard, which leads you to the questline to wipe out the rest of the brotherhood.

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By cap123

If you choose to kill her, you get one more mission. If you join you get a whole questline of varied quests. I'm a good guy too, but I didn't want to miss all that.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By TheHT

You get WAY more stuff if you join, but if you're RPing or whatever then by all means. But you'll obviously get more loot/money/quests by not destroying one of the main factions.

BelligerentEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BelligerentEngine

@TheHT said:

You get WAY more stuff if you join, but if you're RPing or whatever then by all means. But you'll obviously will get more loot/money/quests by not destroying one of the main factions.

Almost all the items unique to the faction can be looted off the dark brotherhood members once you've killed them. Anything that's not accounted for a better version can be made through moderately high level enchanting/blacksmithing.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BrockNRolla

@BelligerentEngine said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@BelligerentEngine said:

@BrockNRolla said:

It's not a mission, when you wake up in the hut she says, "you've got to kill someone to get out of here" or something. Which gives you the opportunity to intuit that maybe you can kill her. Doing so results in her kinda doing some weird shadow step attacking thing but eventually when you kill her she whispers, "well done".

For the record I also killed the khajit since he was a rapist fuckhead.

Once you kill Astrid you get a quest that says to talk to guard, which leads you to the questline to wipe out the rest of the brotherhood.

Huh. Funny. I never considered that as a potential option. Then again, I didn't pursue anything that would have gotten me in touch with the Brotherhood as a good character either.

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kgb0515

Well if you have already made the choice to kill the orphanage matron in cold blood for Aventis Aretino, then I would question your adherance to the whole good guy track already. The Brotherhood missions are interesting, but definitely not moral.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BrockNRolla

Just to throw in my 2 cents. I don't believe I ever got anything worthwhile from the DB.

Just the opportunity to commit good ole fashioned murder.

BelligerentEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb0515 said:

Well if you have already made the choice to kill the orphanage matron in cold blood for Aventis Aretino, then I would question your adherance to the whole good guy track already. The Brotherhood missions are interesting, but definitely not moral.

This is true, I'll admit to the hypocrisy on my part, so really either way you go about it requires some leap of logic regardless. The Mother Grelod is awful certainly, but by no means someone who should be murdered in cold blood(at least by the mindset of a some sort of self professed good guy) it's not like she's eating the orphans or anything. Though by that point in the story my character could be defined as much more morally grey than I had started out, so I suppose it turned out alright for me.

To be fair though almost all Skyrim characters have some logically inconsistency in justifying their existence. It's more about what sits right with you than anything else lol.

Joker369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Joker369

If I can get all the good loot by destroying them I'll probably just do that. I also heard however that there is a shout you get for doing one of their quests. If I destroy them will I just never get it?

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Xeiphyer

@Joker369 said:

If I can get all the good loot by destroying them I'll probably just do that. I also heard however that there is a shout you get for doing one of their quests. If I destroy them will I just never get it?

You won't get all the good loot. Specifically you'll never get the shout or the special mount. The shout is useless really, but the mount is the best in the game.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
    RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

unfortunately the mount can be temporarily killed. however, that mount comes back to life after some in-game time. all you have to do is go back to where it was killed.

Tomkang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tomkang

I like having the horse at times and the db armour is fun.

I played 90 hours on my orc warrior and did all the factions etc to S-rank the game. If you like RPing than kill those assassins once and for all. Best DB gear is the 'double damage to back stab' gloves. So I had no use for them at all. I enjoyed the questline though, I think you should roll a bad guy after and do the chain.

I ran across the map, horses are so slow in Skyrim, werewolf sprint is so much better when you have hircine ring. You still can get the shout when you go in to kill all the guys at the sanctuary.

RyuHayabusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RyuHayabusa
    Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rattle618

I fucked that bitch up on my first playthrough cause I was a good guy, Im saving thieves and dark brotherhood stuff for another run. You could do that...

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By benspyda

I played through the dark bortherhood twice and never thought to try that (killing Astrid). My next character I make for the PC version will probably do this.

Xaether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Xaether

I realize I am way late, but did you see the shackle's she had in the bathroom, not sure she deserved to live.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.