Should vampirism be -easy- or -hard- to cure in Skyrim?

• 90 results
#1 Posted by Storms (341 posts) -

Vampirism shouldn't have an easy fix. It's not easy to become a vampire in the first place, ie you can't become one on accident very easily. If it's both hard to become a vampire and easy to cure, what's the point? If you can just turn it on and off, why would anyone in Tamriel fear a vampire bite? "Oh, darn. I think I got bit by a vampire in my sleep. Maybe I'll get that checked out later this week. Or, maybe not". If there's no consequence, there's no meaning to it.

Anyone disagree?

#2 Posted by Sitoxity (544 posts) -

How does Vampirism work now?

I remember (might be wrong) it being pretty easy to contract in Oblivion. You just had to fight a vampire and getting hit had a chance of contracting the virus, right?

I think it shouldn't be too difficult to cure, but it shouldn't be easy either. You would want to know it could be done but that it wouldn't really be an annoyance if you don't want to be one at all.

#3 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

I don't want Vapirism in the game at all.

#4 Posted by Divina_Rex (351 posts) -

Shouldn't be easy to contract and it shouldn't be easy to cure. Simply because if it's not easy to catch then not many people in Tamriel should be worried about a cure.

#5 Posted by Witzig (338 posts) -

Hard to catch and hard as fuck to get rid of. 

#6 Posted by Storms (341 posts) -
@Sitoxity: From the interview with the lead artist, it would seem to be nearly identical to Oblivion, with maybe some tweakings of skills and powers (according to past Lore, which might be thrown out the window, the vampire clan in Skyrim is the Volkihar, and they have their own strain of vampirism). 

You had a percentage chance to contract "Porphyric Hemophilia" from a vampire's attack. You had this disease (which took a couple points off your fatigue) for three full days in-game. During those three days you can cure it any way you can cure any other disease. Then you have to sleep to complete the transformation. So, you pretty much had to be trying to get it.
#7 Posted by Sitoxity (544 posts) -

@Storms: Ah, yeah, thanks. Now I remember.

I see that being a good way to contracting it in Skyrim, so I think making it a bit more interesting to get rid of would be quite good.

#8 Posted by valrog (3648 posts) -

I want it to be difficult to cure, and that you can't get it without even knowing what caused you to get it.

Also, no bugs when trying to get cured. Last thing I want is Count of Skingrad appearing everywhere.

#9 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -

@Storms said:

@Sitoxity: From the interview with the lead artist, it would seem to be nearly identical to Oblivion, with maybe some tweakings of skills and powers (according to past Lore, which might be thrown out the window, the vampire clan in Skyrim is the Volkihar, and they have their own strain of vampirism). You had a percentage chance to contract "Porphyric Hemophilia" from a vampire's attack. You had this disease (which took a couple points off your fatigue) for three full days in-game. During those three days you can cure it any way you can cure any other disease. Then you have to sleep to complete the transformation. So, you pretty much had to be trying to get it.

Right and in vanilla Obvlivion, you had to go through a fairly lengthy quest to get a cure. If I'm not mistaken, later on there was that Vile Lair DLC where you could hop in a pool of water and be good to go.

#10 Posted by Storms (341 posts) -
@Axxol: Why not? Are altars really that far out of the way that nobody should be allowed to have vampirism except PC players?
#11 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -
@Storms said:
@Axxol: Why not? Are altars really that far out of the way that nobody should be allowed to have vampirism except PC players?
I don't want it because I didn't like it. Just personal preference.
#12 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1180 posts) -
@Axxol said:
I don't want Vapirism in the game at all.
You don't want to glitter in the sunlight and wander around without a shirt? What sort of a man are you sir? Everyone know Vampires are just misunderstood.
#13 Posted by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -

HARD! 

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD!

#14 Posted by TheHBK (5563 posts) -

Should be hard to catch and hard to cure.  But the cure should not be just a collection quest.  Though you could just use cure disease before the disease made you a vampire right?  I guess most people miss it is easy to prevent too. 
There should be other diseases.  Maybe AIDS?  Something that will make you drop dead at a random point in time would be cool.

#15 Posted by Mikemcn (7028 posts) -

@TheHBK said:

Maybe AIDS?

Fox News will love that.

#16 Posted by Aetheldod (3737 posts) -

I guess it would be cool if you got it once and it became a quest to cure it , but if you cure it you get inmunity to it so you dont get the disease as often as in Oblivion (for the love of god I dont want to be a vimpire!!!!!)

#17 Posted by DerekDanahy (880 posts) -

@wolf_blitzer85: I bought that DLC just to circumvent the long ass quest. That's how much of a pain in the ass it was.

#18 Posted by onarum (2306 posts) -

Yep, should be hard as all hell, but it'll probably be dumbed down as everything else, like a potion you can make yourself.

#19 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4899 posts) -

When I first played Oblivion I had no understanding of what Porphyc Hemophilia was. I also had no Cure Disease potions. I also didn't yet know that praying at altars of the Nine would banish your ailments. So I wound up a vampire, and I enjoyed it for awhile. Then I got the quest to find a cure, and that was really sketchy. They can make Vampirism the same if they want, but it'd be nice if the cure quest was more straight forward and less Yogi Bear inspired berry picking.

#20 Posted by DaemonBlack (342 posts) -

@Witzig said:

Hard to catch and hard as fuck to get rid of.

Pretty much this. I don't know how many times I forgot I contracted the vampire disease when fighting some and three days later was a vampire only to then go on what is basically an ingredients fetch quest. Or with the Vile lair DLC all it takes is one trip to your lair.

I would like to see a somewhat lengthy quest line to become one. Perhaps something along the lines of having to be initiated in a clan of vampires by murdering, pillaging, stealing.... That kind of stuff. Then once you become one, have an equally (or more) difficult serious of quests to get rid of the disease.

#21 Edited by Storms (341 posts) -
@KingWilly: They did bring up the topic of Porphyric Hemopohilia and healing at Altars in pretty much every other loading screen.   Obviously it was still possible to miss but I don't think the hard quest is unjustified considering all the warnings they and hints they gave.

@Axxol: Well, they can't just ship a special "Axxol" version of the game that only has the options you'd choose. So that would get rid of it for everyone. There are a few things I never did in Morrowind and Oblivion, doesn't mean I don't want them in the game. I won't be doing gay marriage in Skyrim, doesn't mean I want it out of the game. 
#22 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -
@Storms said:

@Axxol
: Well, they can't just ship a special "Axxol" version of the game that only has the options you'd choose. So that would get rid of it for everyone. There are a few things I never did in Morrowind and Oblivion, doesn't mean I don't want them in the game. I won't be doing gay marriage in Skyrim, doesn't mean I want it out of the game. 
What's your problem?
#23 Posted by JackSukeru (5967 posts) -

It should be very easy to catch from any vampire, but running into vampires should be either optional or completely random. Once you get it, it should be impossible to cure, but should also hinder you less than it has in the past or have more effective ways of countering the negative effects (a quest for ring that gives almost full protection against sunlight? Not everyone always remembering that you are a vampire?)

Hardcore!

#24 Posted by Storms (341 posts) -
@Axxol: It's pretty obvious that my problem is the idea of removing game features because someone doesn't use them. It's like saying "I don't want thief skills in the game at all" because I don't intend to play as a thief myself.

The question is, what is your problem?
#25 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -
@Storms said:
@Axxol: It's pretty obvious that my problem is the idea of removing game features because someone doesn't use them. It's like saying "I don't want thief skills in the game at all" because I don't intend to play as a thief myself. The question is, what is your problem?
I don't have a problem; you're the one getting all flustered over a simple comment.
#26 Posted by Pie (7117 posts) -

The cure quest in Oblivion could break. Like a lot of the game it broke for me. Argh

#27 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

@Axxol said:

@Storms said:
@Axxol: It's pretty obvious that my problem is the idea of removing game features because someone doesn't use them. It's like saying "I don't want thief skills in the game at all" because I don't intend to play as a thief myself. The question is, what is your problem?
I don't have a problem; you're the one getting all flustered over a simple comment.

Ya, what the fuck, Axxol? Causing problems with your vidja game preferences.

#28 Posted by lmenzol (270 posts) -
@Storms: extremely hard. if you choose to let yourself become one you should have to stick with your desicion
#29 Posted by Gabriel (4082 posts) -

@Pie said:

The cure quest in Oblivion could break. Like a lot of the game it broke for me. Argh

At one point to finish the quest, I had to go out and buy another copy of...

Yeah fuck that quest.

#30 Posted by Marz (5672 posts) -

It should be hard to get rid of, but there should be methods to suppress the effects for limited amounts of time... until you actually go on a quest for a cure.

#31 Posted by JoeyRavn (4986 posts) -

I never liked vampirism in Oblivion. The thing is, you can catch the disease without wanting to become a vampire. For people like Storms, who want to become a vampire (and don't like other people not liking vampirism, *gasp*), that's all fine and dandy. But for people like me, it's only a burden. Getting cured of vampirism should be easier than getting infected in the first place. That way those who want to remain a vampire will be happy, and those who want to get rid of the disease shouldn't struggle a lot to do so.

#32 Posted by FritzDude (2273 posts) -

I remember in Oblivion that i got Porphyric Hemophilia quite often in random caves. So i wouldn't excactly say it's hard to get. Using a cure disease potion before getting infected worked like a charm. But If i'm not careful enough, or i don't care - I think it should be hard, or at least challenging to get cured. "For every choice, a consequence"

#33 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5156 posts) -

@Mikemcn said:

@TheHBK said:

Maybe AIDS?

Fox News will love that.

Sexrim.

#34 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

not too hard. i dont want to go on a massive damn item finding quest to cure a disease i got cus i was exploring a random cave and encountered a vampire. i'd probably reload if im being honest. fetch quests are never hard, just annoying and tedious.

im just being honest here. getting a disease that requires you either to let it run its course, turning you into a vampire that completely changes your gameplay, or going on a massive tedious fetchquest to make a cure, not fun. reload time.

#35 Posted by Raven10 (1926 posts) -

What if it was impossible to cure? Once you got it you were f*****. Then all the hardcore PC players would be able to say the game was hardcore enough for them. Also make it so the disease made it so you instantly died in sunlight and you were attacked on sight by every NPC in the game. Now those were the good old days of RPG's. Anyone remember becoming a zombie in Might and Magic? I don't know if you could cure that. Even if you could it was hella hard. You either loaded a previous save or lived with it for the rest of the game. Nowadays you just collect some garlic and a pepper grinder and you are cured.

#36 Edited by Storms (341 posts) -
@Axxol said:

@Storms said:

@Axxol: It's pretty obvious that my problem is the idea of removing game features because someone doesn't use them. It's like saying "I don't want thief skills in the game at all" because I don't intend to play as a thief myself. The question is, what is your problem?
Your comment was that the game should have features removed just because you choose not to utilise them. At least, that's a perfectly reasonable way to read "I don't want vampirism in the game at all". I'm not really "flustered" over it, but I do wonder why you think that's a good reason to not have it in the game. 

If you don't want to actually address the substance of that, I'm not going to sit here going "U HAVE PROBLEM" "NO U".

@Afroman269 said:

@Axxol said:

@Storms said:

@Axxol: It's pretty obvious that my problem is the idea of removing game features because someone doesn't use them. It's like saying "I don't want thief skills in the game at all" because I don't intend to play as a thief myself. The question is, what is your problem?

Quite the opposite, actually. He seems to be saying that his preference ought to be law. If that's not what "I don't want it in the game at all" means, it should be cleared up.
#37 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

@Axxol: Sorry Axxol, didn't know the guy was going to be super serious.

#38 Posted by Maluvin (269 posts) -

Luckily for everyone this is a TES game meaning you'll eventually be able to mod it pretty much the way you want it modded.  With that said it's probably easier to mod out effects/features than it is to mod them in.

#39 Edited by Storms (341 posts) -
@Afroman269: *yawn* 

I don't need a big deal to be made out of what should have been a straight-forward dialogue:  

"Curing vampirism should be hard; here's why" 
"I don't want it in the game" 
"But should your preferences be forced on others? I don't think so, and here is why." 
"They should/should not, and here is why." 

But it's become drama instead, and I won't be having anything to do with that. Have a nice day Axxol, Afro.
#40 Edited by Mmmslash (2171 posts) -

Personally? I think becoming a vampire should be a hard fucking swing. 

There should only be a few (or perhaps a secretive organization, with a few lone ones in distant hideaways or something), but they are all incredibly powerful. The only way to contract vampirism is to be defeated by a vampire, and they choose to bring you into the fold because of your combat prowess as a mortal. This could progress into a Dark Brotherhood-esque quest line, where you come to terms with your new disease, and learn to either accept your nature or revolt from within. 

Vampirism would have some serious drawbacks and powers. Access to vampire specific abilities, along with health regeneration, increased strength and agility, and any number of other things. On the flip-side, daylight activities would be completely off-limits to you, and certain NPC's would recognize you for what you are. Certain kinds of weapons would be a no go (looking at you, silver weapons), and fire would do colossal damage to you.  Feeding would be absolutely imperative, but in order to combat Oblivion's "every three days sneak in somewhere", maybe there could be additional quest lines to establish a sort of Vampire headquarters, as seen in Oblivion's Vile Lair DLC.

I don't want some silly disease like it is in Oblivion, I want some serious implications, some game-changing things for something so life-changing (literally) for your character. I know Bethesda won't do this, but it's what I would like, and it's the sort of the direction that would reinvigorate my interest in Elder Scrolls in general.

#41 Edited by Storms (341 posts) -
@Mmmslash: Great post; you should work for Bethesda. I kid not. They could use your creativity.
#42 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -
@Storms said:
@Axxol said:

@Storms said:

Your comment was that the game should have features removed just because you choose not to utilise them. At least, that's a perfectly reasonable way to read "I don't want vampirism in the game at all". I'm not really "flustered" over it, but I do wonder why you think that's a good reason to not have it in the game. 

If you don't want to actually address the substance of that, I'm not going to sit here going "U HAVE PROBLEM" "NO U".

@Afroman269 said:

@Axxol said:

@Storms said:

Quite the opposite, actually. He seems to be saying that his preference ought to be law. If that's not what "I don't want it in the game at all" means, it should be cleared up.
Yep, you're definitely getting bent out of shape because of this. The overall tone of your response leads me to believe that you're looking to argue with me. I never said my preference is law; I'm purchasing the game regardless. 

@Afroman269 said:

@Axxol: Sorry Axxol, didn't know the guy was going to be super serious.

Meh, don't sweat it.
#43 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4899 posts) -
@Storms: I think you misunderstood me. I thought it was bloody cool when I turned into a vampire. It was a left field thing I didn't expect, and made me love Oblivion a lot more. The quest to get rid of it was tedious and time consuming. If they can either make the Vampirism a viable experience, then I'm down for another go at vampirism. If not, at least make the cure quest something more interesting than "go here, pick fruit, go there, pick flower".
#44 Posted by Mmmslash (2171 posts) -
@Storms: Thank you for the compliment.
#45 Posted by DaemonBlack (342 posts) -

@Mmmslash: I like it. Apply at Bethesda.

#46 Posted by Mmmslash (2171 posts) -
@DaemonBlack said:

@Mmmslash: I like it. Apply at Bethesda.

I doubt they'd hire an unqualified guy for a Design Lead position, but thank you for the compliment.
#47 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Fucking hated vampirism...  I got a message in Oblivion but had no clue what it said because something else popped up or something (can't quite remember, been forever) and then a bit later I turned into a goddamn vampire without having a clue as to why, and it took FOREVER to get rid of.  Worst fucking part was when you were in a house and left, if it was day outside, you would completely die during a loading screen.

So, they should make it a bit easier to notice you have a disease that is about to have MAJOR changes on your game in my opinion.  The quest to cure it can be hard, but at least make it an interesting quest.

#48 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

It's still a question of whether or not vampires will be in the game, unless i missed something. I hated being a vampire in Oblivion, the inability to walk around freely (during the day) outweighs the benefits in my opinion.

#49 Posted by Mmmslash (2171 posts) -
@TheDudeOfGaming said:
It's still a question of whether or not vampires will be in the game, unless i missed something. I hated being a vampire in Oblivion, the inability to walk around freely (during the day) outweighs the benefits in my opinion.
Vampires are confirmed in the game, although becoming one is still out for the jury.
#50 Posted by Moth_Pope (458 posts) -

I like the thought of Vampirism being in the game still. It's not something I want my character to get, but I really like the fact that it's there. I remember getting it on my first playthrough in Oblivion, thinking it was cool and then eventually curing it... But when it happened again in another playthrough it annoyed me a bit as I knew I'd have to go through that (pretty tedious) routine to get it cured.

I think, unless you're dealing directly with vampires, it should be rare to contract. Like others have said I'd also like it to be difficult to get rid of, but only if it's made into a big deal that actually guides you into a whole sub-quest dedicated to it. It's been a few years, but from what I remember in Oblivion it wasn't actually very clear on how to cure vampirism once you caught it. I seem to remember having to look it up online, whereas it should kind of tell you where to go to get it sorted (which you could ignore if you wanted to).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.