Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Skyrim and Fallout NV

Thiemen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Thiemen

Hey all,

I was wondering if Skyrim was a bit like Fallout NV, in terms of playstyle. What I mean by this is the fact that you were able to do what you want, and the huge amount of different characters you could meet. I loved wandering the wastes in search of something to do. I´ve put many hours in quite a few different characters in NV.

So is Skyrim somewhat similar?

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By DonPixel

I think you can draw plenty of similarities within the core design but the game setting (fiction, lore) is quite diferent. I haven't play it that much but the UI, Item managment, NPC interaction estructure, open world nature and so on feels like a "polished version" (if you can say so) of previous Bethesda games. I think the new engine did improve over some poor aspects of Fallout 3, FON and Oblivion.

Long story short : It's fucking amazing.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By project343

@Thiemen: They're absolutely similar. I think the only real diverging point is core quest philosophy. Generally speaking, Fallout has fewer quests, but more approaches to each quest than The Elder Scrolls series. Surely you know what I mean. You can kill a guy, or you can talk your way out of it, or you can use your engineering skill to defuse the bomb, or lockpicking to break into a house. In TES, you take on a quest and they're all typically completed through puzzle solving and combat. Your approach to combat may differ wildly, and your additional skills (lockpicking) will alter the dungeon run slightly, but the end result and the means to achieve said results are always the same.

That may sound like a massive negative, but the sheer breadth of content in Skyrim feels 2-3 times larger than that in New Vegas. TES also feels a fair bit more like a lighthearted sandbox game as opposed to a game about survival.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Yeah, although Skyrim feels much bigger than F:NV.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Aetheldod

Well ..... Fallout games (3 and New Vegas) gameplay base itselves on The Elders Scroll: Oblivion (and I suppose in a way to Morrowind ... but I havent played it) so yes the gameplay is very similar , altho you use magic/archery , instead of firme arms. Also melee is more important (due to be set in a medieval times)
    Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Zippedbinders

It doesn't offer the same freedom of choice during quests that New Vegas offers, but as a game world, its far more open. Lots of named characters, and almost every one in a town is related to one quest or another.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Aetheldod
    @Zippedbinders

Well as far as I know the same quest can beggin in very different manners .... you remember how Greg Kasavin began the golden claw quest? Well I saw the vids that Day9 posted of him playing Skyrim and that quest came to him in another town , in a completely different manner , maybe the quests have multiple solutions
    Thiemen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Thiemen

Ok, thanks for the replies. Now I´ll be getting it for sure.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.