Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Skyrim and What it Looks like!

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By TheHBK
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/01/06/february-cover-revealedesv-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim.aspx  
    There you go, Game Informer is gonna have a big ass story in their next issue which subscribers should be getting soon.  It has a pretty nice basic cover with some crazy ass Elder Scrolls writing on the back.  But the biggest news in here is that they will have info on the gameplay engine and screenshots of the game.  I would buy the magazine but its a GameStop publication so I'll just wait for someone to post it up. 
    We all know that exclusive stories like these mean some kind of deal between publisher and game maker... this better not hint at some sort of Gamestop only preorder shenanigans. 
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ryanwho

Pretty sure the internet will be getting leaked scans before any subscriber gets their magazine.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jimbo

If their next issue isn't actually printed on a scroll then they shouldn't be allowed any more exclusives.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Bollard
    @Jimbo said:
    " If their next issue isn't actually printed on a scroll then they shouldn't be allowed any more exclusives. "
    QFT 

Also, imma assume this isn't available in the UK, so fingers crossed for scans woooo!
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm really curious to see how they plan of varying the environments up, seeing as all we've ever seen of Skyrim is snowy mountains.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheHBK
    @President_Barackbar said:
    " I'm really curious to see how they plan of varying the environments up, seeing as all we've ever seen of Skyrim is snowy mountains. "
    Maybe reveal some big ass underground cities?  Or cities that are at the top and bottom of mountains?  Or how about they include another daedric realm like Oblivion or the Shivering Isles?  Lots of possibilities.
    A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By A Likely Story

Skyrim isn't all snow and mountains, despite what people seem to think. 

Anyway, been looking forward to this Game Informer for a while...can't wait to see what this game looks like.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AuthenticM

It says that subscribers will receive the magazine shortly. But will non-subscribers be able to buy the thing in a GameStop or EBgames shop?

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @President_Barackbar said:
    " I'm really curious to see how they plan of varying the environments up, seeing as all we've ever seen of Skyrim is snowy mountains. "
    The whole of Skyrim isn't snow and it's rumoured to actually include part of Highrock as well.
    General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By General_D23

If anyone's interested in the thing on the back cover...

DOVAHKIIN DOVAHKIIN
    NAAL OK ZIN LOS VAHRIN
    WHA DEIN VOKUL MAHFAERAAK AHST VAAL
    AHRK FIN NOROK PAAL GRAAN
    FOD NUST HON ZINDRO ZAAN
    DAVAHKIIN FAH HIN KOGAAN MU DRAAL

AHRK FIN KEL LOST PRODAH
    DO VED VIING KO FIN KRAH
    TOL FOD ZEYMAH WIN KEIN MEYZ FUNDEIN
    ALDUIN FEYN DO JUN
    KRUZIIK VOKUN STAADNAU
    VOTH AAN BAKLOK WAH DIIVON FIN LEIN

Fun Fact: If you go back to the VGA trailer? The chanting that kicks in at the end is the first verse of the above.

DRAGONBORN DRAGONBORN
    BY HIS HONOR IS SWORN
    TO KEEP EVIL FOREVER AT BAY
    AND THE FIERCEST FOES ROUT
    WHEN THEY HEAR TRUIMPH’S SHOUT
    DRAGONBORN FOR YOUR BLESSING WE PRAY

AND THE SCROLLS HAVE FORTOLD
    OF BLACK WINGS IN THE COLD
    THAT WHEN BROTHERS WAGE WAR COME UNFURLED
    ALDUIN BANE OF KINGS
    ANCIENT SHADOW UNBOUND
    WITH A HUNGER TO SWALLOW THE WORLD

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Hailinel
    @TheHBK said:
    " @President_Barackbar said:
    Maybe reveal some big ass underground cities?  Or cities that are at the top and bottom of mountains?  Or how about they include another daedric realm like Oblivion or the Shivering Isles?  Lots of possibilities. "
    I'm pretty sure that no one enjoyed the Oblivion segments of Oblivion at all.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187
    @Hailinel: Funny.  I didn't enjoy Oblivion at all...period. 

Hopefully, this goes back to Morrowwind-styled Elder Scrolls...and then improves on that.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Gabriel
    @Hailinel said:
    " @TheHBK said:
    Maybe reveal some big ass underground cities?  Or cities that are at the top and bottom of mountains?  Or how about they include another daedric realm like Oblivion or the Shivering Isles?  Lots of possibilities. "
    I'm pretty sure that no one enjoyed the Oblivion segments of Oblivion at all. "
    The Planes of Oblivion in Elder Scrolls 4 too my understanding were just Mehrus Dagons section, the Shivering Isles were a plane of Oblivion too, Sheogorath's, so they could definitely make it more like that and less like the Planes...
    A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By A Likely Story

Why does everyone want to venture into more Daedric realms? Clearly many people don't understand that there's more to Elder Scrolls lore than Oblivion, and y'all that don't need to look further into the series than just TES IV. 

Anyway, been waiting very eagerly for this GI, but had no idea it was so close to release, so thanks for reminding me! Hopefully scans will be up in a matter of days.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By McGhee

Awesome if the map was super-massive and you could ride dragons and your dragon had skills that could be leveled up as well. But I'm probably thinking too big. :(

Avatar image for shadowknight508
    ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By ShadowKnight508

I hope that my issue of GameInformer comes soon...I can't wait to read and see more of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

jaketaylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jaketaylor

God I love TES.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xyzygy

I really hope that the lands have some diversity to them like Morrowind. I was so sick of beautiful wooded areas and meadows in Oblivion.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Karkarov
    @Hailinel said:
    " @TheHBK said:
    I liked the Oblivion segments of Oblivion just fine, you also have to realize this is the Elder Scrolls not a traditional Gears of War whatever implementation of the word "Demon".  I mean really "spoiler alert!!" Tamriel the world the vast majority of the Elder Scrolls takes place in was revealed to be nothing but a daedric realm itself at the end of Oblivions main story events and the world Shivering Isles takes place in is also a daedric realm and it looked like it was pulled out of a childs fairy tale.

Point is it doesn't have to look or play like "Oblivion" to be a demonic realm in the elder scrolls.
    HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HaltIamReptar

So what you will about the shitty quality of the content, but goddamn, does Game Informer have kickass covers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HaltIamReptar: I was thinking the same thing, the simplistic approach is brilliant. 

I'm really excited to see what the new engine brings along, and the tone of the world. As Yahtzee said, Oblivion's environments are basically a square mile of middle age english countryside copy and pasted around. While this is a tad harsh he's pretty much right.
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By gike987
    @General_D23 said:

" If anyone's interested in the thing on the back cover...

DOVAHKIIN DOVAHKIIN
    NAAL OK ZIN LOS VAHRIN
    WHA DEIN VOKUL MAHFAERAAK AHST VAAL
    AHRK FIN NOROK PAAL GRAAN
    FOD NUST HON ZINDRO ZAAN
    DAVAHKIIN FAH HIN KOGAAN MU DRAAL

AHRK FIN KEL LOST PRODAH
    DO VED VIING KO FIN KRAH
    TOL FOD ZEYMAH WIN KEIN MEYZ FUNDEIN
    ALDUIN FEYN DO JUN
    KRUZIIK VOKUN STAADNAU
    VOTH AAN BAKLOK WAH DIIVON FIN LEIN

Fun Fact: If you go back to the VGA trailer? The chanting that kicks in at the end is the first verse of the above.

DRAGONBORN DRAGONBORN
    BY HIS HONOR IS SWORN
    TO KEEP EVIL FOREVER AT BAY
    AND THE FIERCEST FOES ROUT
    WHEN THEY HEAR TRUIMPH’S SHOUT
    DRAGONBORN FOR YOUR BLESSING WE PRAY

AND THE SCROLLS HAVE FORTOLD
    OF BLACK WINGS IN THE COLD
    THAT WHEN BROTHERS WAGE WAR COME UNFURLED
    ALDUIN BANE OF KINGS
    ANCIENT SHADOW UNBOUND
    WITH A HUNGER TO SWALLOW THE WORLD

"
    That makes it sound like the game takes place during a civil war (when brothers wage war). During that war Alduin will decide that it's time to end the world.
    Sounds like this could be a way more interesting plot than the invasion in Oblivion. 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#23  Edited By Hailinel
    @Karkarov said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @TheHBK said:
    I liked the Oblivion segments of Oblivion just fine, you also have to realize this is the Elder Scrolls not a traditional Gears of War whatever implementation of the word "Demon".  I mean really "spoiler alert!!" Tamriel the world the vast majority of the Elder Scrolls takes place in was revealed to be nothing but a daedric realm itself at the end of Oblivions main story events and the world Shivering Isles takes place in is also a daedric realm and it looked like it was pulled out of a childs fairy tale.  Point is it doesn't have to look or play like "Oblivion" to be a demonic realm in the elder scrolls. "
    When you have to crawl through thirty Oblivion gates to complete the main storyline, it gets tiresome.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AuthenticM

Oblivion would have been a lot better if the main quest had only one giant, more elaborate gate at the end of the game instead of a multitude of near-identical ones. That's one of the main problems of Oblivion: all dungeons feel the same. The caves, the gates and the ruins all feel the same. I am sure Bethesda is aware of this and are working towards not repeating the same mistake with Skyrim. At least, I hope so.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Karkarov
    @Hailinel said:
    " When you have to crawl through thirty Oblivion gates to complete the main storyline, it gets tiresome. "
    Well I concede to your point as it is definitely valid.  However I will also point out it was more like eight or so (possibly less) that you "had" to do, the rest could have easily just been skipped.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Jimbo
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
    " Awesome if the map was super-massive and you could ride dragons and your dragon had skills that could be leveled up as well. But I'm probably thinking too big. :( "
    You can do that in Dragon Knight Saga, except you are the dragon zomg.
    withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By withateethuh
    @Hailinel said:
    " @TheHBK said:
    Yeah, those were really lame.
    Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Agent47
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac: Well you can summon dragons to your aid if that makes you happy to know.
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By McGhee
    @Agent47: 
    It's not quite the Dragonlance fantasies of my youth, but that sounds pretty damn cool anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.