Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

skyrim background distortion

Avatar image for supremeconstant
    SupremeConstant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SupremeConstant

Just bought skyrim on sale off steam and am encountering a minor but annoying graphical issue. While moving(and more noticable during daylight) there appears to be.... well some kind of pattern of spots or lines or background static like distortion. Tell you the truth i'm having a hard time trying to articulate exactly what it looks like. Ive done a few google searches about graphical glitches, white spots, lines, patterns, yada yada yada but everything ive seen is pretty blatant artifacting and obvious glitches. This is a lot more sublte, and a minor annoyance when all is said and done.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced anyrthing like this with skyrim or might have any ideas. I have tried lowering and completely disabling anti aliasing but didnt change anything.

Thanks for any help or assistance you may be able to offer.

P.S. - just remembered i have also noticed this whille moving the camera around during battles in shogun 2 total war

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FritzDude

Not much information to go with, I don't even know if you have a desktop or a laptop, so posting your system specifications, including your monitor or TV model & setup would certainly help for people in here. You should also try to print screen or record the issue in play. Since you're encountering the same issue in other games I don't think this issue is related to Skyrim, but your hardware. But for now:

• Have you tried to reinstall or update your video card driver? This is fairly common and can save you a lot of trouble & time. (Remember to uninstall the current driver in the windows control panel before applying the latest version to avoid any collisions)

Graphical issues may also occur if you have clocked your video card over its threshold or for a while in long sessions damaging its lifespan. It could also be overheating due to dust, insufficient power supply or poor air cycle & flow inside the cabinet.

• Check your card's temperature & voltage under load with a monitor program - exempli gratia MSi Afterburner or EVGA Precision -
    • Clean out your system of dust

Overused monitors & TV's can also create an illusion of graphical issues: heavily ghosting, low dim, dead or stuck pixels & poor contrast ratio. Though I don't think this is the issue you have, and it's fairly easy to see if it is, it's worth to troubleshoot to get it out of the system.

• Connect your PC to a different source & screen and see if the issue persist
    • Try to connect different cables and see if the issue persist (VGA, DVI, HDMI cables)
    Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Christoffer

I remember having similar issues when I tweaked the shadow settings in the INI-file, and messed up. The engine have a bad way of tracing shadows, mostly noticeable outdoors during the day.

I have no idea if your problem have anything to do with the shadows, worth looking up if nothing else works.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Example1013

Check the framerate, try turning down the graphical settings. Those are the two really fast, easy things I'd suggest before going through any large maintenance.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.