Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Skyrim books and weight

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I guess you could say this is almost like a complaint? However I'v already found about 5-6 books ranging from random lore, to journals etc. Why did Bethesda choose to give them weight. It's one of the only gripes I have so far. Yes it's not really an issue presently, however since once you read a book there really is no "codex" or archived "library" in the game I tend to just hold onto them. After say 20 books that's basically dead weight. Do you think they will fix something so trivial?

Honestly I just wish they added a "library" slot in items where all books read etc will basically archive themselves where you can go back and re-read etc.

Alo81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Alo81

Why would they fix something that isn't broken? You don't need to have every bit of information with you at all times, and it wouldn't make sense for your character to remember it all anyway. Just leave some stuff in your home chest.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By McGhee

Because books are heavy? The Kindle hasn't been invented yet?

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CaptainObvious

Why read books when you can kill fucking DRAGONS.

Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sbaitso

Buy a house, store them in your house. Problem solved.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jozzy

Well, let me be the first to agree with you then. Would have been cool to just unlock a codex when you inspect a book, so you can read it later without having to carry it in your inventory.

Avatar image for countinhallways
    countinhallways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By countinhallways

In Morrowind I had a grand old time filling up all the bookshelves in my house with my favourite tomes.

Of course it did make moving house kind of a pain.

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Potter9156

A codex in ES would be really dumb. Well, maybe not really dumb. But it would kill the atmosphere.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Hizang

Roleplaying.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @Potter9156 said:

A codex in ES would be really dumb. Well, maybe not really dumb. But it would kill the atmosphere.

I agree, i usually stockpile books in containers. In fact, i usually stockpile everything.
    JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JP_Russell

I would not like it if the books didn't have weight. Doesn't fit in ES. That said, you could easily mod that yourself on the PC once the Creation Kit is released. Just a matter of changing all the book weight values to 0.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like i'll have to go the house route. It's been a while since I played an ES game infact I only played Oblivion and I really was just into killing stuff. About how far in can you actually obtain a house?

makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13  Edited By makari

Key items like journals, keys, notes, maps, and quest items having weight is silly. Carrying around a lot of things to help you solve puzzles and find locations is much different than carrying around a ton of crafting materials, a library of fluff books and an extra ten sets of armour.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makari said:

Key items like journals, keys, notes, maps, and quest items having weight is silly. Carrying around a lot of things to help you solve puzzles and find locations is much different than carrying around a ton of crafting materials, a library of fluff books and an extra ten sets of armour.

That makes sense and all, but I really didnt ask for mats or extra armor sets. I just wish there was a much more easier consolidated way to collect all the random books etc throughout the world as I'd enjoy reading them.

Alo81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Alo81

Theres a books section in your inventory, just store all the books in one place. Then you can open that one storage spot and access all the books to read at once.

It's not like theres a lacking amount of areas to store things, just pick a spot and you're settled.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Getz

This isn't fuckin' Dragon Age; there is no vendor trash or magical weightless codex of infinite wisdom. Books are physical items that have weight and it would be weird if they didn't just because of some gameplay contrivance. I'm sorry man, but you can just go to the UESP if you wanna read the books hassle-free.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pweidman

@ICryCauseImEmo said:

Seems like i'll have to go the house route. It's been a while since I played an ES game infact I only played Oblivion and I really was just into killing stuff. About how far in can you actually obtain a house?

Not too far in at all.

In the first big town, Whiterun, property can become available.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Alo81 said:

Theres a books section in your inventory, just store all the books in one place. Then you can open that one storage spot and access all the books to read at once.

It's not like theres a lacking amount of areas to store things, just pick a spot and you're settled.

Sounds like a plan, is there a limited amount of space a container can store?

DrBendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DrBendo

I don't give a shit about books in the game (The prose is shit, and I don't find the ES fiction interesting), and I can't see why anyone would want to read them more than once. I can relate in that I read everything in Thief and Silent Hill games which tend to have interesting material, and I read most of the pages in Alan Wake (albeit precisely because the writing was such hackneyed rubbish). I recall a fondness for the relatively robust library in Myst, but I'm sure my appreciation owed more to my youth than its quality.

That said, there should definitely have been an efficient and organized way to handle them. Especially considering that so many of the books come in sequential volumes that are found in different areas, the game would benefit from a cohesive presentation of the fiction. A building database would work; those bitching that it would somehow ruin immersion or be unrealistic would do well to note that one does not become a better swordsman by reading some asshole's biography, nor can one feasibly carry ninety heads of cabbage. A good alternative would have been putting libraries in some of the cities. Excluding skill books for obvious reasons, such libraries could store a good breadth of the additional fiction in a reliable, easy to find location.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheGreatGuero

@CaptainObvious said:

Why read books when you can kill fucking DRAGONS.

This would have like +180 if we still had the +/- system.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.