Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Skyrim can't possibly be a GOTY contender. Right guys? Right??

VirtuaXav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By VirtuaXav

The only people the should care about GOTY are the developers making games and the press who are giving these games recognition.

How does it matter to anyone else which game wins GOTY? Just play the games you know you'll enjoy and that should be that.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#102  Edited By CptChiken

as far as im concerned Giant bomb's game of the year is ALWAYS given to their favourite game. skyrim is fucking amazing, it might not be on yours but its 100% going to be on alot of peoples goty lists.

Juicebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103  Edited By Juicebox

What Uncharted 3? lol no not this year, theres actual games this year. Making Uncharted look like thrash.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#104  Edited By Skald

If you still can't enjoy the PS3 version of Skyrim, you probably have no soul.

Juicebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Juicebox

@Dawglet: LOL pretty much this. we all wanna say it because it's true.

thebazel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#106  Edited By thebazel

@Juicebox said:

What Uncharted 3? lol no not this year, theres actual games this year. Making Uncharted look like thrash.

I actually agree, I was just listing games that are great multiplatform (in this case, technically) games and also a great single platform game. You can put Dark Souls, Battlefield, MW, Radiant Historia, whatever else you want on the list instead.

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By deerokus

PC Version is very stable. Sure the PS3 version seems to be unplayably broken, but the game itself is fantastic.

thebazel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By thebazel

Well this thread has now been moved to the game specific forums for some reason.. great...

Marbazoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Marbazoid

Once again bethesda will get a free pass.

• Mediocre main quest
    • Uninteresting copy and paste characters
    • Limited voice cast (hearing the same voice actor is too common an occurrence)
    • Bad animations
    • BUGZ

LALALA NOT LISTENING

F!VE STARS

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#110  Edited By spazmaster666

@thebazel said:

Also, remember, Ryan Davis specifically disregarded Bayonetta for GOTY 2 years ago because of the faulty PS3 version.

Yeah but Bayonetta had exactly 0% chance of winning GOTY from them even if the PS3 version was as good as the 360 version.

Also, Red Dead Redemption had a ton of jankiness as well and so did GTA IV, and both of those games won GOTY awards (though Red Dead didn't win here at GB). And considering that even Brad, who was a strong advocate for Uncharted 2 winning GOTY, seems to be definitively on the Skyrim bandwagon, it seems unlikely that Uncharted 3 will win. The same can be said of Jeff and Arkham City. The last time I heard so much unanimous praise from the crew about a game was for a little title called Mass Effect 2, and we all know how that turned out.

Though I must say it's unfortunate that Dark Souls will likely again get no love from the crew this year other than maybe Vinny but even Vinny's comments about the game weren't overly positive. Then again, Dark Souls has some really bad framerate issues that in some ways is more annoying than the bugs I've encountered in Skyrim.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#111  Edited By kerse

You're focusing too much on the small issues, I think the majority of us have had a blast with this game, I've already sunk more enjoyable hours into this game than any other in a long time and haven't had any problems yet. The resistance thing is shitty, but thats new and (hopefully) will be fixed very soon. I also think you're caring too much about this goty thing. It really doesn't matter in the long run.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#112  Edited By Captain_Insano

No major issues on the 360 for me (texture bug was annoying but fixable).

Game of the Year for me, I haven't been so immersed in a game for years. A fair few contenders for me but this has me wrapped up. I think it says a lot about this game that I don't care about the main quest because the world is just so compelling.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I could break this argument down piecemeal and and contest each point. But I won't. Instead, I'll just say I've never dumped 100+ hours into a game and have still thirsted for more like I have for Skyrim. Not for Morrowind, not for Oblivion, not for Fallout or Grand Theft Auto or any other video game you could possibly list.  

It's not the number of hours that's important. It's the fact that I continue to chase after this game's content even after I've played it this much. 

ZenGaijin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By ZenGaijin

@HistoryInRust: I agree with this. Although I understand the argument that was originally posted. It's supposed to be about overcoming its flaws to become something that shouldn't be missed. The way everyone I've seen eyes light up when talking about Skyrim makes it seem like an obvious GoTY contender.

Only problem I have is how Bethesda continually gets away with shipping games with such bugs. It's not like Skyrim was the first time they shipped a game with bugs such as this. Pretty much everytime they release a game is has numerous bugs that have to be address before the game can fully be enjoyed by everyone. It's kinda BS that they get a pass because "Oh it's Bethesda"

I just hope that games like Catherine and Bastion don't get overlooked by everyone. As they should take awards in some category.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Sooty

I'm so tired of all GOTY threads, whining about what deserves to be chosen and what doesn't, so I'm going to say bluntly: Who the fuck cares?

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#116  Edited By vidiot

One of the major complaints regarding Bethesda's now honored tradition of having a janky game, involves the reasoning that the game is just...Well..."Too big". 

I have difficulty wrapping my head around that argument. How does having a large intricate game-world, make dragons fly backwards? 
    I remember reading this post-mortem quick interview a long time ago for Fallout 3, in-fact I sill have the quote:  

"One day, we tried to figure out why we wanted ladders so bad because we don't really need them. It just felt like we're game development pussies because we can't do ladders." -Todd Howard

It seems more reasonable, that when it comes to the technicalities, Bethesda simply has trouble. Some of the earliest Fallout 3 problems involved NPC's walking off of high points and falling to their deaths. (<-Reasons for ladders :P)  
    While I remember bugs and issues in other open-world games (Primarily Rockstar developed) I can't recall anything coming close to some of the sheer insanity I have seen from Bethesda offerings. There's a good point to be made that even after all the testing that was done on this title, the PS3 version has issues that it currently faces. How does that work? 

In Bethesda's defense though, they have developed and released titles in far faster succession than other open-world developers.  
    Perhaps the argument is not just the technicalities to how large these game-worlds are, but the reasonable time-schedules they place on themselves. Rockstar games are being developed by multiple different studios, the guys at Bethesda went from Oblivion, to Fallout 3, to now finally Skyrim. This would make more sense, not only are they developing a large game-world, but for one studio they are also releasing games at a higher-rate. 

There is validity on getting upset at something that messes up a really well-made game, as someone who struggled just trying to get Fallout 3 to run on my PC, I understand where TC initial post is coming from. That being said, out of the last several releases from Bethesda: Skyrim seems pretty stable by comparison. There's also the fact that it does work on other platforms, and that things will probably be patched...and patched...and patched...in the future. 

That's kinda how this generation operates. :/
    Rusputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#117  Edited By Rusputin

I have noooooo idea why people care about this GOTY thing so much.

I also have nooooo idea why some people complain endlessly about how "broken" the game is. I have yet to see anything truly game breaking. Yes, it's terrible that some poor souls got insta-gibbed by casters, but that's usually when smart people think, "Hey! Maybe I should do something differently like not plant my face in front of that guy's fireball!"

I ran into more annoying bugs while playing 4 hours of Battlefield 3 than I have in 100 hours of Skyrim.

ftomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By ftomato

@Catarrhal said:

@Doctorchimp said:

I can't pick it for GotY because your console of choice is a fucked up mess? Nah son, it doesn't work that way.

According to Ryan Davis, that's exactly how it works. During last year's GOTY podcast, he brusquely ignored Bayonetta (despite his earlier, overwhelming praise), simply "because the PS3 version is garbage."

I haven't played Bayonetta on PS3, but I've watched videos of it, and I am playing Skyrim on PS3. Bayonetta was way more busted than Skyrim.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@The_Laughing_Man said:

It works. 360 version is fine and I do think its a good runner for the title. And not everyone is having the PS3 issues. Its a Bethesda game. They make GREAT games. But these games also have lots of issues. And in these cases the GREAT part of the games out weigh the issues. And just because one system does not work. Thats not gonna smack it out of the running. You can not say " well its a great game but doesnt work on PS3. No GOTY"

In the case of Skyrim, I'm not convinced this guy doesn't have a point.

THere've been two patches for Skyrim since release. The first caused me to be unable to play it (without the memory extension mod, either), and required a full-install.

I gave up there.

The second patch then caused the dragons, a game-defining feature, to fly backwards, and stripped any magical resistances in the game. They are both fairly game-breaking (especially the latter, if you designed your character in such a way as to rely on them).

Yes, the scope of the game is fantastic, and the world it delivers is incredible - but it fucks up in it's execution so wholly, that it's hard to forgive them (how many people have you seen say 'I'll hold off til all this is fixed'), let alone stick a big sticker on the box saying GOTY.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By SpencerTucksen

I totally agree with the OP. It feels like I'm the only one here. But hey, I own a PS3, so I guess I'm a bit biased.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#121  Edited By mike

I really feel bad for people who have the PS3 version of Skyrim. I'm playing on PC and even after updating to 1.2, and so far the only bug I've experienced so far is magic resistance being broken. Thankfully, I can keep playing and so far it hasn't really affected my experience over the last ten hours or so that I've been on the latest version. 

Anyway, I think the overall GOTY race is going to end up being between Arkham City and Skyrim, with Skyrim barely edging out a victory. The community vote will most likely see Skyrim win by a large margin.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Catarrhal

@thebazel said:

@familyphotoshoot said:

I'd just like to take a second to remind everyone that during the 2009 (I think) GOTY discussions, Bayonetta was eliminated from the "Best Multiplatform Release" category because the PS3 version was fucking terrible.

If it's true that the PS3 version of Skyrim is as bad as the OP is claiming, the guys need to take that into acount when handing out awards.

Thank you for this. At least there's precedent on this site for holding a game responsible for its technical aspect.

Yeah! Although it was only last year; still, it's nice that someone else remembers. Actually, I mentioned this in another thread last week, and while few seem willing to acknowledge the example, I presume Ryan Davis still holds true to that principle.

Regardless, I certainly don't feel the debate is already closed, as many here seem to think…

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#123  Edited By wefwefasdf

I have some empathy for those that run into game breaking bugs but I don't feel that it prevents Skyrim from being a GOTY contender. When those glitches do not occur, Skyrim is was the most immersible and expansive game I have played in years. I put over 50 hours into a singleplayer game and that is unheard of for me. It sucks that quite a few people are having issues but that doesn't change what the game is for everyone else that had a smooth experience.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Getz

Videogames you guys. "Even if you're one of those 'I play it on PC and it's effing great, no issues here' people, there's someone else on another platform saying the complete opposite" Couldn't the opposite be said as well? Doesn't that render your argument moot, by your twisted logic? I think it's time to re-evaluate your priorities man, there is shit going on in the world right now and you're writing up diatribes about which games shouldn't win a stupid fucking award.

Jokers_Wild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Jokers_Wild

I personally have had very few bugs in Skyrim. so far it seems to me the most stable release Bethesda has had.

Bugs or no, it's GOTY status.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Canteu

@Getz said:

I think it's time to re-evaluate your priorities man, there is shit going on in the world right now and you're writing up diatribes about which games shouldn't win a stupid fucking award.

On a video game forum, about video games. Take that bullshit elsewhere.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By MideonNViscera

I don't think it should even be considered a possible "GotY", for whatever that's supposed to be worth, because Oblivion already got all sorts of acclaim and this is just a prettier Oblivion. They didn't even fix the things I hated about Oblivion, like constant load screens and only 5 voice actors.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By unchained

I can't speak for anyone else, but GOTY is between Witcher 2 and Skyrim for me with Skyrim taking it. I certainly feel it deserves Game of the Year accolades. Technical glitches and bugs can be patched. The game itself it a masterpiece.

thebazel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By thebazel

@Canteu said:

@Getz said:

I think it's time to re-evaluate your priorities man, there is shit going on in the world right now and you're writing up diatribes about which games shouldn't win a stupid fucking award.

Seriously. No words. Also, my priorities are just fine. I don't waste money on things that don't work. That was easy.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#130  Edited By Bwast

@Lunar_Aura said:

This is why Skyrim should have updated scores before and after the patch. It's not fair to the Metacritic and the people who rely on it to validate their purchase.

I have no sympathy for those mindless shells of humans. Pretty soon there's going to be a Metacritic for dating and every potential mate will have a number. Then only the 90s will hook up and our civilization will become even more obsessed with looks and everything else will get abandoned. Science, literature, knitting - gone. In 200 years the Earth will be ruled by the most beautiful human to have ever lived but will have the mind of a 21st century teenager. THIS IS WHAT THE MAYANS WERE TALKING ABOUT. THE CALENDAR STOPS AT 2012 BECAUSE THEY KNEW WE WOULDN'T CARE ABOUT CALENDARS ANYMORE!!!! LISTEN TO ME!!!

If you like what you read, please consider making a donation to my paypal account.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#131  Edited By zombie2011

Thats the PS3 version.

The PC and 360 are fine. 360 had the texture thing but thats not really a big deal the game still looks great. Bayonetta wouldn't have been GOTY even if it was good on PS3.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Barrock

Hypothetical question. Batman wins Game of the Year. WiiU version comes out and is a broken mess. What happens?

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@LiquidSwords said:

>2011

>Caring about GOTY

I can't understand why some people care about it. It's the VGAs. They not force you to like that game (or do they?).

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#134  Edited By dagas

I've only played the 360 version with the day one patch and not installing it to the hard drive, but it worked just fine. It didn't crash one for me in the 16h I've played so far (I'm sure it's just a metter of time though since it has crashed a lot for me friend) while Saints Row 3 crashed half a dozen times in the same amount of time and had several other more or less game breaking issues that forced me to reload a save to be able to finish a mission.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By RedRoach

@thebazel: Yeah there are some issues, the texture issue is bugging me, but for as buggy as it is, SKyrim is a hell of a lot more fun than some of those games. I look past bugs because this game is amazing.

GTCknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By GTCknight

@yinstarrunner: Wasn't intending to say anything in here, but I feel that I should just say that. Yes, I agree with you Deus Ex: Human Revolution is definitely my GOTY.

Do I care if it's not recognized as GOTY, nope not at all. However, at the end of the year. I had more fun with Deus Ex: HR than I've had with any other game this year. Also I would just like to say that I really don't care about this whole GOTY garbage, I have seen it so many times that I'm just tired of it. Every year some game will be picked, and then everyone who didn't like said game will never stop whining about it.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Getz

@thebazel said:

@Canteu said:

@Getz said:

Seriously. No words. Also, my priorities are just fine. I don't waste money on things that don't work. That was easy.

You put it in the tray, it runs. That seems like "working" to me. Oh you meant "doesn't work the way I want it to." In that case, boo fucking hoo.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#138  Edited By Stahlbrand

Fantastic game, terrible troll.

lusence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By lusence

I never played witcher 2 but that sounds like more my style for GOTY. But skyrim will take GOTY without a doubt. I put over 70 hours on my first run and probally only touched half of the game. no other games can claim thta this year for just single player following a main quest or whatever not counting pickups and all that time filler junk. dead island was pretty close but was extremly limited in gameplay when compared to skyrim...

AngelKore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By AngelKore

Yes.

Yes it can.

mastrbiggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By mastrbiggy

Well the PC version is absolutely the best game I have played this year.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#142  Edited By AndrewB

I encountered about 2 minor bugs in my time with the game before the latest patch. Yes, I can be pissed off at Bethesda for releasing a patch and making things worse (and I am, very much, pissed off that they worsened my experience in the name of solving issues I'd never come across), but that doesn't lower the quality of the game in my mind.

You can certainly make the disclaimer that it won't be the PS3 game of the year, but on at least one platform (the PC), it's a fucking marvel of a game. Not perfect. Far from perfect. But I can overlook the crap that the game throws at me lately because it's absorbed me greater than any game this year by about 70 hours, and counting.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By mikey87144

There is no other game like it. Plus the reason PS3 owners are complaining so loudly is because of how much they love the game.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By RIDEBIRD

I could not care less about console players. It's still not excusable to release such a shitty version of course, but that will in no way affect me from choosing Skyrim to be this years, very obvious and deserved, GOTY. It's like the third best game I've ever played.

j3ffro919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By j3ffro919

If a game running poorly on one console would remove it from GOTY consideration, shouldn't Uncharted be out as well since Skyrim on PS3 clearly runs better than Uncharted on xbox or PC?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Tennmuerti

@vidiot said:

One of the major complaints regarding Bethesda's now honored tradition of having a janky game, involves the reasoning that the game is just...Well..."Too big".

I have difficulty wrapping my head around that argument. How does having a large intricate game-world, make dragons fly backwards?

The more complex or bigger a mechanism, a program, a game, the more things there are that can potentially go wrong. It's one of the first things you learn writing code.

Quite simple.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Even with bugs it's still my GOTY.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#148  Edited By alistercat

It's my game of the decade. I don't care.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By shiftymagician

@Tennmuerti said:

@vidiot said:

The more complex or bigger a mechanism, a program, a game, the more things there are that can potentially go wrong. It's one of the first things you learn writing code.

Quite simple.

Yet people will continue to not learn this and just expect such a large world with so many variables to work 100% regardless. I do agree technical polish is a must in games but this game is just so big that it is understandable.

Seesic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Seesic

I'm ok with them choosing their favorite game, it makes much more sense than choosing someone else's. And I think Skyrim is a contender yes it's flawed. But there are very few games that are so good that even if a patch breaks more than it fixes, people will still put fifty hours into at least.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.