Skyrim comes out on Remembrance Day... ?

• 51 results
#1 Posted by xyzygy (10078 posts) -

So Skyrim comes out on Remembrance Day. I realize that they wanted to go for the whole 11/11/11 thing but why release a game when stores are CLOSED?!

This means that we'll have to wait until the following Monday to get the game, regardless. Unless the shipments do actually come in and are on shelves on the Saturday.

Does anyone else find this weird?

#2 Posted by bioblood22 (420 posts) -

Only closed in Canada...not the rest of the world.

#3 Posted by Village_Guy (2662 posts) -

Remembrance Day? What is that? Some American thing?

Well stores are open here, but if they are closed where you live then Bethesda fucked up big time...

#4 Edited by spazmaster666 (1991 posts) -

Since Remembrance Day isn't celebrated in the US and Europe (except for UK) and most other countries in the world, it's probably not gonna be a big deal in terms of first-day sales. Not to mention, there will be a significant number of people who have orderd it online.

#5 Edited by xyzygy (10078 posts) -

@bioblood22 said:

That's what I mean. So for fellow Canadians, what does this mean? Does anyone who works at HMV / WalMart / EB Games / whatever else know anything about this? Will we be able to get the game Saturday?

#6 Posted by Creamypies (4091 posts) -

Stores are open here in the UK, we just do the minutes silence thing at 11am.

Sounds like this only affects your country.

#7 Posted by bioblood22 (420 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

@bioblood22 said:

That's what I mean. So for fellow Canadians, what does this mean? Does anyone who works at HMV / WalMart / EB Games / whatever else know anything about this? Will we be able to get the game Saturday?

I don't know sorry. I live in the US.

#8 Posted by bibamatt (1090 posts) -

We have Remembrance Day in the UK (it's a big deal!) but I don't think our stores close? Is it a proper national holiday in Canada?

#9 Posted by Creamypies (4091 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

@bioblood22 said:

Surely if you preorder it online, you'd just get it anyway?

#10 Posted by xyzygy (10078 posts) -

@bibamatt said:

We have Remembrance Day in the UK (it's a big deal!) but I don't think our stores close? Is it a proper national holiday in Canada?

Yep, we've always had the day off school and for some reason this year my university has the day before it off too.

#11 Edited by spazmaster666 (1991 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

Isn't EB Games open on Remembrance Day? I would assume other major chains would be open as well.

#12 Posted by xyzygy (10078 posts) -

@spazmaster666: Is it? I had always thought that all stores were closed on Remembrance Day...

#13 Edited by spazmaster666 (1991 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

@spazmaster666: Is it? I had always thought that all stores were closed on Remembrance Day...

It is according to this link

I guess it would depend on where you live.

#14 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Oh Canada, Oh Canada. Maybe you can move the Remembrance day a day before, or later.

#15 Posted by Bollard (5843 posts) -
#16 Posted by Burns098356GX (1366 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

So Skyrim comes out on Remembrance Day. I realize that they wanted to go for the whole 11/11/11 thing but why release a game when stores are CLOSED?!

This means that we'll have to wait until the following Monday to get the game, regardless. Unless the shipments do actually come in and are on shelves on the Saturday.

Does anyone else find this weird?

Not every province observes that as a stat holiday. Most of the country still operates.

#17 Posted by MetalMoog (908 posts) -

Yeah I'm in Alberta and Future Shop is open on Remembrance Day according to the employee I talked to on the phone.

#18 Posted by groin (860 posts) -

The IBM compatible version on Steam can be downloaded on that day instead. There are no holidays on the internet.

#19 Posted by project343 (2838 posts) -

@xyzygy: This is why you pre-purchase on Steam. Always. :D

Expecting to be fully pre-loaded and playing at 12:01am. I know this isn't always the case, but I guarantee that I'll be playing it before stores typically open (at like 9am)! :P

#20 Posted by Xolare (1285 posts) -

Wait, you mean Veterans' Day?

#21 Posted by Marcsman (3286 posts) -

Remember what?

#22 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Marcsman said:

Remember what?

Canada.

; )

#23 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

What are you remembering

#24 Posted by AlexW00d (6435 posts) -

Wallmarts close?

#25 Posted by AlexW00d (6435 posts) -

@Marcsman said:

Remember what?

@Dagbiker said:

What are you remembering

All the people who died during the War(s).

#26 Edited by Stingraymond (84 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@Marcsman said:

Remember what?

Canada.

; )

Or you know.. the end of fucking World War I and paying a bit of respect to all the servicemen and women who have died since then serving their countries. Douche.

#27 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Stingraymond said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@Marcsman said:

Remember what?

Canada.

; )

Or you know.. the end of fucking World War I and paying a bit of respect to all the servicemen and women who have died since then serving their countries. Douche.

Yes, because I cracked a joke about Canada I am obviously a douche. : )

#28 Posted by Jimbo (9993 posts) -

I'm going to remember by killing a fucking dragon, just like Saint George would have wanted.

#29 Posted by Mattalorian (594 posts) -

It's unfortunate, but I would guess that having a memorable release date like 11/11/11 is worth it, even though a portion of the audience can't pick it up on day one. Also, I think it matters little to PC gamers, because very few people buy retail PC games anyway. Could be wrong, but I would imagine that a good portion of the overall sales of Oblivion were on PC. So yeah, it's a bummer, but I'm sure it makes financial sense for Bethesda, otherwise they just would've chose a different release date.

#30 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

Most stores here in Alberta are open on Remembrance day.

#31 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -

What about a midnight release? Is that an option for you?

#32 Posted by RageExpressive (50 posts) -

Armistice Day is a day of quiet reflection and thanks for those serving and those who have fallen in service within the UK on the 11th November.

#33 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

It's not a statuatory holiday for over half of the Canadian population. see http://www.statutoryholidays.com/ It's pretty bad that people don't know what Veterans/Armistice/Remembrance Day is. So if you read this then remember the different names and that it happens Nov 11th. I don't think it is that wierd but maybe the small negative impact might counteract the small positive impact from people being able to remember 11/11/11.

#34 Posted by xyzygy (10078 posts) -

What's with people assuming that others are getting the PC version? I like boxes, even if I was getting it on PC I would want the disc version.

@BirdkeeperDan said:

It's not a statuatory holiday for over half of the Canadian population. see http://www.statutoryholidays.com/ It's pretty bad that people don't know what Veterans/Armistice/Remembrance Day is. So if you read this then remember the different names and that it happens Nov 11th. I don't think it is that wierd but maybe the small negative impact might counteract the small positive impact from people being able to remember 11/11/11.

Oh wow thanks. I'm in Nova Scotia and it's apparently an optional Holiday. Maybe I'll be able to get it after all!

#35 Posted by chawliemurphy (14 posts) -

I actually went into an EB cause I was concerned about this as well, major retailers (inculding EB) will be open in Canada on Remembrance day.

#36 Posted by Shady1992 (160 posts) -

I'd suggest buying the game through Steam

#37 Edited by ckeats (489 posts) -

My local "not EB Games" game store is closed that day so he told me to "check the day before or earlier the week" Boo yeah.

#38 Posted by astonish (211 posts) -

Most stores are only closed until mid day. I know the gamestops/EB here in Ottawa were telling preorder people that they won't open until noon.

#39 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

Everything's closed on the 11th here. That's what happens when you live in a place with more trees than people.

#40 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12114 posts) -

So wait, the Canadians and the British both have their own names for Veteran's Day (i.e. the holiday meant to mark the end of World War I)? That's kind of nifty.

#41 Posted by Donkeycow (558 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater said:

So wait, the Canadians and the British both have their own names for Veteran's Day (i.e. the holiday meant to mark the end of World War I)? That's kind of nifty.

We're allowed to have our own name for the event haha, seeing as we fought from beginning to end unlike a certain other country :p

#42 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3085 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater: It was called Armistice Day in America too for a few years before eventually changing to Veteran's day.

#43 Posted by Fattony12000 (7564 posts) -

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.

Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.

They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,

They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

We will remember them.

#44 Posted by jakob187 (21758 posts) -

I remember...just like it was yesterday...

Never forget. <>

#45 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

I work on friday so I'm assuming it's not just my stupid company but most places that are open or operating on sunday hours. If they are operating on sunday hours I'll have to leave work for the best buy across the street to buy skyrim and make it back in 10 minutes max...

don't fret I'm sure stores will be open

#46 Posted by Three0neFive (2304 posts) -

I actually just thought of this earlier today.

Then I realized I'm buying it on Steam.

#47 Posted by Patman99 (1620 posts) -

Pretty sure the big companies and malls are open on Remembrance Day in Canada. Just the smaller businesses that close so there is probably a chance that one store is going to be open.

#48 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

I live in Canada. I have school on the 11th. What the hell?

#49 Posted by IzzyGraze (854 posts) -

Canada post isn't shipping anything that day at least. I chose the 2-3 day shipping and it's scheduled to arrive Nov 16th or 17th.

#50 Posted by Lukeweizer (2765 posts) -

They're not closed on a Remembrance Day, they just have holiday hours. You can still go get it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.