Skyrim does not detect my video card?

#1 Posted by BoG (5187 posts) -

Alright, just like so many others, I'm having issues. My PC can run the game, I ran the test prior to buying it. However, when I play, I have terrible performance because it refuses to use my better graphics hardware. Starting up the game, the only selectable graphics card the integrated intel HD graphics. I run the game, and it's awful. I'm on a laptop, and the good graphics only kick in when I'm plugged into a power source. I unplugged just to double check, and got the exact same performance. I'm positive I'm running this game on integrated graphics. Anyone know how I can force it to use my superior card?

#2 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

You could try turning off your integrated card (control panel, (view by icons) device manager -> Display Adapters -> right click disable the integrated one

Note, I have no idea if this will work, it's just a theory, I have no experience with more than one GPU or an integrated one. But this might force it since the other one will be disabled. I do not, however, know if your laptop requires that card to operate or something. If It did, I'd imagine there'd be an error, but like I said, I do not know.

#3 Edited by Skyrider (345 posts) -

What kind of laptop is it? Mine does the same thing using Nvidia optimus. If it is an Nvidia card, you should be able to open up your Nvidia control panel, go to "manage 3d settings", click the "program settings" tab and then hit "add" (assuming the game is not in the drop down list). Then you just need to navigate to wherever you installed the game and select "TESV.exe" (I think that's what it was", and once you've done that you can set it to use the dedicated GPU.

EDIT: Oh, you might want to create a shortcut to the file afterwards, as I'm not too sure on whether it only works when launching from that .exe or if launching from the launcher (where you edit data files etc) will work as well.

#4 Posted by BoG (5187 posts) -
@Skyrider: BINGO! We have a winner. Thanks a lot. I don't have a Nvidia card, it's ATI, but it has the same function. I set it to the high performance card, and the difference was immediate. I'm really happy! Now, I can actually make it a bit prettier. Thanks a lot!
#5 Posted by guusjo11 (8 posts) -

I am currently experiencing the same problem, I've done what Skyrider said already but the problem still isn't fixed, would there be any other way to fix it? I have an NVIDIA 310M card.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.