Skyrim: Hearthfire help

#1 Posted by sthusby (382 posts) -

Hey guys. Anyone bought Hearthfire yet? I got it earlier today, but so far I have just got the option to build in Falkreath. Does anyone know what I need to do to get the option to build in the Pale? Winter is coming you know!

#2 Edited by FritzDude (2216 posts) -
  • For Falkreath: You must complete the “Rare Gifts” favor, and the “Kill the Bandit Leader” favor. You may then buy land from Steward Nenya.
  • For Hjaalmarch: You must complete the quest “Laid to Rest”. You may then buy land from Steward Aslfur
  • For Dawnstar: You must complete the Daedric Quest “Waking Nightmare” and then the favor “Kill the Giant”. Please note that this favor has the prerequisites of being level 22 or higher, and having had previously completed the “Waking Nightmare” Daedric Quest. At this point, you can then buy land directly from Jarl Skald the Elder.

You will need to talk to Jarl Skald the Elder.

#3 Posted by sthusby (382 posts) -

@FritzDude: Much obliged. Just started a new character, and I'm only level 20. Know I know where to focus my attention.

#4 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I just completed the prerequisites for the deed in Hjaalmarch, and I've already built the smallest home. They give you some of the tools and materials to get started so that you can complete a house without needing to trek back and forth and fast travel, but you'll need to, eventually. They also spawned some clay and other mineral deposits nearby to help you with supplies, (these are speciality, so I don't know if these are infinite in the new locations, or if they spawned a bunch in the world). Regardless, you can pretty much build most of the stuff you'd normally find in homes, unfortunately, it doesn't look like you can actually customize where the items are placed, so as they're built they automatically spawn in their noted locations. But I'm really enjoying going through the process of gathering the materials, forming out the materials for the individual pieces and then constructing an entire piece of whatever I'm building. As I mentioned, I wish there was more customization for house layouts and item/furnishing placement, but this is good for those like me being super anal about item placements in homes.

#5 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4493 posts) -

@Napalm said:

As I mentioned, I wish there was more customization for house layouts and item/furnishing placement, but this is good for those like me being super anal about item placements in homes

This is kind of why I'm not that interested in Hearthfire. They already gave you an entire modding kit that lets you -among other things- design your own house however you want, so why pay to to have a much more limited version? I get that some people prefer not having to learn how to use a complicated level creator and just want to mess around with building shit, but since half the fun seems to be, like you said, getting super anal about how everything is, I'd prefer to just go full on with it and spend 20 hours designing my own fucking castle, or something.

#6 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@MarkWahlberg said:

This is kind of why I'm not that interested in Hearthfire. They already gave you an entire modding kit that lets you -among other things- design your own house however you want, so why pay to to have a much more limited version?

Please forward the Xbox 360 purchase link then, please.

#7 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4493 posts) -

@Napalm said:

Please forward the Xbox 360 purchase link then, please.

fair 'nuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.