Skyrim is perfect and is the best game ever made

• 125 results
#1 Posted by MarkM (295 posts) -

Zero hyperbole required on this one. I can play this game for the next entire hardware generation and I'll still be finding new shit.

This is the first game ever to not have an actual completion time because it can't be completed. There are just constantly new quests and towns and caves to explore. I don't even have any DLC yet but I don't care. I'm going to play the core game, and then enjoy the DLC after which will probably be in about a year because it'll take me that long to play through this game every single day playing for like 2-3 hrs on average.

Graphics: 5.0

Sound: 5.0

Control: 5.0

FunFactor: 5.0

#3 Posted by Nightriff (5084 posts) -

Best game of 2011 easily but no, it isn't perfect on any version and isn't the greatest game ever made

#4 Posted by MarkM (295 posts) -

Best game of 2011 easily but no, it isn't perfect on any version and isn't the greatest game ever made

I'll fight you in real life bro

#5 Posted by Nictel (2412 posts) -
#6 Posted by Vuud (1997 posts) -

Until the next elder scrolls game?

#7 Edited by PenguinDust (12519 posts) -

According to Steam, I have 250 hours in game play, so you won't get much argument from me, but still I don't believe it's the "perfect" game. There are still too many bugs in the engine which can break your game. And yet, it's possibly the most entertaining game I enjoyed this generation. Well, that and Dragon Age Origins.

#8 Edited by Lyisa (359 posts) -

A friend of mine ran out of quests and stuff to explore at about 200 hours.

#9 Posted by LackingSaint (1815 posts) -

For me it's just okay. I feel like Skyrim is a great argument for why quantity isn't neccesarily a good thing in a game; especially when you're building everything on the same basic style of gameplay and presentation, it just seems like you're dooming yourself to have players lose interest at some point. I know I did.

#10 Posted by MarkM (295 posts) -

There is no next elder scrolls game. Elder scrolls online is a garbage factory

#11 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5513 posts) -

Skyrim is pretty good and is one of the best games from 2011.

#12 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

Sure, I'll give you sound and... uh... fun factor, but graphics (unmodded, that is) and control? Nah, brah. Nah.

#13 Edited by PenguinDust (12519 posts) -

Sure, I'll give you sound and... uh... fun factor, but graphics (unmodded, that is) and control? Nah, brah. Nah.

Excellent point. I should have clarified that I have 250 hours of a heavily modded game according to Steam. Lots of graphical overhauls and gameplay adjustments.

#14 Posted by Yummylee (21652 posts) -

Still haven't played it yet... I'm waiting for the glorious day when I've got a PC that could play it.

wait, fun factor... Oh, OK, this is a joke thread isn't it.

#15 Posted by MegaLombax (391 posts) -

Its an awesome game, I'l give you that. But best game ever made? Not really, no. Not for me at least.

#16 Posted by BIGJEFFREY (5057 posts) -

I though it was boring as balls, and I played it on the master race machine.

#17 Posted by Baillie (4173 posts) -

Man, Skyrim is a boring ass game.

#18 Posted by MarkM (295 posts) -

who cares listen to this song

#19 Posted by LackingSaint (1815 posts) -

@markm said:

who cares listen to this song

Okay now i'm back in on this thread.

#20 Edited by Hailinel (24818 posts) -

Is this a joke thread, or have you never heard of the joke that is the PS3 version?

#21 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1791 posts) -

The combat could have been better.

I also would have been interested in adding a city-building / starting a settlement like thing.

#22 Posted by brutushayesosu (125 posts) -

all I got

#23 Edited by ShaggE (6455 posts) -

I disagree, but it is a damn good game.

#24 Posted by Grilledcheez (3947 posts) -

There are definitely some things I would like to see changed, but I can see why you feel that way. It is definitely something very very special.

#26 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (416 posts) -

It's a damn great game, but best ever made? It's not even the best Elder Scrolls game ever made(yes, I'm going to be that guy)

#27 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1853 posts) -

Best game ever? Nononono. It's expansive and I've lost wayyy too many hours to it, but honestly, it's a bit repetitive and the actual gameplay part where you interact with things and the combat and all that is kinda actually really bad.

#28 Posted by mrpandaman (866 posts) -

@nightriff said:

I will fight you on that...

I won't since it's all subjective. Skyrim while vanilla is good, too many bugs riddled it especially on the PS3 side. On PC, which is where I have it now, a modded Skyrim is easily one of the best games I have ever played.

#29 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

Skyrim sure is impressive, but the gameplay sucks balls. Especially the combat. It's slow, it has no momentum, no feel and its super clunky. I just don't get how devs get away with this.

#30 Posted by awesomeusername (4185 posts) -

I thought you were saying those scores were 5 out of 10 which I kind of agree with. Kind of. But 5 out of 5? Hahahahaha! Then again, I did play the PS3 version. I mean it's a solid game but I can't spend 200+ hours in it. No way in hell I'd do that.

#31 Posted by benspyda (2034 posts) -

Skyrim is not perfect, in fact its very flawed. But it is my favourite game of all time as far as how much I enjoyed it. But the combat is super flawed.

#32 Posted by ThunderSlash (1730 posts) -

NUH UHHHHHHHHHH

That belongs to God Hand. I mean, LOOK AT THIS:

I am joking of course. But seriously, ya'll need to play God Hand (play it again if you already have).

#33 Edited by big_jon (5728 posts) -

K

#34 Posted by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -

I think the same about Lollipop Chainsaw.

#35 Posted by Nightriff (5084 posts) -

@nightriff said:

I will fight you on that...

I won't since it's all subjective. Skyrim while vanilla is good, too many bugs riddled it especially on the PS3 side. On PC, which is where I have it now, a modded Skyrim is easily one of the best games I have ever played.

My game of 2011 and I had the PS3 version, only had one major problem happen while putting in over 100 hours

#36 Edited by AlecOfTheWest (279 posts) -

Sure, theres a lot of content in Skyrim, but you've honestly seen all there is to see about a dozen hours into it. Not nearly enough variation in gameplay to justify 200 hours of that garbage.

#37 Posted by cmblasko (1235 posts) -

Some might even say it is the best game of 2011.

#38 Edited by Animasta (14692 posts) -

@cmblasko said:

those people would be wrong

It's totally witcher 2

#39 Edited by seveword (156 posts) -

Hmmm, no. The environments are excellent, and exploring tombs and dungeons is a blast, but there was little to no immersion for me due to cardboard characters and their stilted animations. Glitches abound, at least on consoles, and I got a lot more pure enjoyment out of Fallout 3 and New Vegas because of the greater freedom allowed. Almost every quest in Skyrim is go here, kill this, get money. The main story is boring and is pure drudgery to finish and - well, I'll stop there. I still liked it, put hundreds of hours into it, but greatest game, in any category, in any time period, in any real way? Callin' hyperbole on that one.

#40 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1853 posts) -

@animasta said:

@cmblasko said:

It's totally witcher 2

#41 Posted by Yummylee (21652 posts) -
@animasta said:

@cmblasko said:

It's totally Dark Souls.

Indeed.

#42 Posted by OurSin_360 (886 posts) -
Skyrim - Absolute Perfection

#43 Edited by Random45 (1212 posts) -

Skyrim is definitely the most overrated game released in the past few years. The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite were both at least fun and interesting respectively. Skyrim is one of the few games I honestly tried to enjoy, but I was so bored the entire time. I just remember talking to people in White Run and realizing how uninterested and bored I was with their conversations...

I see why people like it, but it's not for me, and no way would I rate it the best game ever made, I'd give that distinction to a game I actually enjoy playing.

#44 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

The fact that it has so many damn quests is not a good thing. Too many of them feel exactly the same. That's what made Fallout 3 so much better. There were fewer quests but they were far more varied and interesting.

#45 Posted by TheStandardToaster (131 posts) -

Skyrim is a great game but it has plenty of flaws.....

#46 Edited by granderojo (1788 posts) -

I don't understand how anyone can find rating things with a excel spread sheet style guide at the end of a paragraph is helpful, but I guess that wasn't your intent.

#47 Posted by PlipO (141 posts) -

Hmmm... you is soooo wrong!

The only game I might be tempted to label as best ever - Tetris.

Graphics: 1.0

Sound: 2.0 - very basic but bloody mesmerizing - I'll add 2.8 billion points to the sound total because of this.

Control: 4.0 - depends on your reflexes which depends on how many hours you have been playing it, dare you put it down after having two consecutive good rounds? - No-one has that much will power.

FunFactor: 5.0 + any additional number you wish to add. This game transcends fun and puts you into a mindset of dependency, glorious dependency. Get hold of the original on a Gameboy and you will want to sell your mother for the next line. No other game is this instantly addictive and gratifying. Tetris embodies the essence a perfect game, addictive, easy to pick up and play, difficult to master but you will always want more, whether you are a master or completely without any hand-eye co-ordination.

#48 Posted by Intro (1207 posts) -

I love modding it, the ENB mods are just outstanding. Literally jaw-dropping looking at some screenshots people get on PC.

#49 Edited by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

It's got great atmosphere and exploration is fun, but the writing, voice acting, story, combat system... it's all pretty god awful. The magic system is downright insulting, and combat is exceedingly brain dead. The perk system is interesting, though I prefer the older class based one out of preference. The dragon fights are downright pathetic, and the shouting powers make the game way to easy.

The civil war is almost nonexistent, you never see anyone actually fighting and they leave no gray areas at all as to which side is the "right" one. Would you like to side with the flawed but ultimately righteous Empire or the arbitrary, racist, and braindead Stormcloaks? You decide! It could have been a very strong aspect of the story, but poor writing and execution ruins any potential there was.

There's a noticeable lack of factions to join as well, and only one (the Winterhold college) has an interesting story. There's no inter-faction politics anymore, you simply join the fightin' faction, the magic faction, or the sneaky factions! I know I'm simplifying things a bit here but the guilds and factions in Skyrim are just lifeless husks compared to what they were in Morrowind. The quests are just boring as hell, almost every one of them requires you to go and kill things at some place and that's it. The game relies way to much on its "combat system". They did a good job at giving the dungeons some personality and backstory, but at the cost of immense linearity and blandness of design. There's no complexity to these places at all, and the few puzzles you encounter are much to easy.

It's a fun game once you mod the ever loving crap out of it, but at its core it's just missing the writing, depth, decision making, challenge, and richness of lore that Morrowind has. Basically Morrowind does almost everything better and classier, except graphics and animations but even then Skyrim's animations are pretty terrible.

#50 Posted by OptimalPower (112 posts) -

Laughed uncontrollably at fun factor. Thank you for that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.