Skyrim PC: Gamepad or KB+M?

  • 60 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by JoeyRavn (4888 posts) -


#2 Posted by JoeyRavn (4888 posts) -

I'm using a gamepad right now, even though I couldn't play neither Oblivion nor either of the Fallouts with one. The new text-based UI is obviously meant to be navigated with a gamepad, and I can't get over trying to attack with the left click. I know it totally makes sense in the context of the game (right hand = weapon, left hand = shield), but my brain's hardcoded already from all times I've clicked the left button to attack in every other single game out there...

What about you, GB duders?

#3 Posted by lando1 (42 posts) -

I started with a gamepad from the beginning, and it's been awesome. I didn't even try out the M+KB.

#4 Posted by zombie2011 (4941 posts) -

Flightstick is the only way to play Skyrim.

#5 Posted by RandyF (126 posts) -

I haven't played it yet, but I'll probably use the pad. Like what was said, those menus look clearly designed with a control in mind. I might change my mind if I can use the number keys for quick changing spells or whatever. Plus, there's no multiplayer, so I don't have to worry about my accuracy sucking.

#6 Posted by fernog (5 posts) -

Just installed it. Going to try the game pad.

#7 Posted by zudthespud (3278 posts) -

@zombie2011 said:

Flightstick is the only way to play Skyrim.

I disagree, I've been playing with my steering wheel and it's incredible.

I haven't tried my gamepad yet but I think I might, the UI does get a bit annoying.

#8 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Keyboard + mouse because I value hotkeys

#9 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@zudthespud said:

@zombie2011 said:

Flightstick is the only way to play Skyrim.

I disagree, I've been playing with my steering wheel and it's incredible.

I haven't tried my gamepad yet but I think I might, the UI does get a bit annoying.

Guitar Hero controller all the way.

#10 Posted by Kazona (3055 posts) -

@Sooty: You can assign hotkeys in skyrim?

#11 Posted by gike987 (1721 posts) -

Gamepad and keyboard for quick save and quick load.

#12 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -
@Kazona said:

@Sooty: You can assign hotkeys in skyrim?

Favourite something and then open the favourites menu and press a hot key when you have an item/spell selected, it seems you can only use 1-8 but it's still better than only being able to bind 2 like on console!
#13 Posted by eroticfishcake (7780 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

@zudthespud said:

@zombie2011 said:

Flightstick is the only way to play Skyrim.

I disagree, I've been playing with my steering wheel and it's incredible.

I haven't tried my gamepad yet but I think I might, the UI does get a bit annoying.

Guitar Hero controller all the way.

DANCE MAT MOTHERFUCKERS!!! FEEL THE POWER OF INTERPRETIVE DANCE!!!

Apart from that I've been using KB/M controls. It's a little weird at first especially with the whole right mouse button/LMB with right hand weapon/LHW since it's reversed but I've gotten used to it now. It's definitely geared towards consoles but I'm okay with it plus I'm on the PC anyway so mods are always an option.

#14 Posted by AlisterCat (5399 posts) -

Keyboard, though it really needs hotkeys. Isn't using it fully.

#15 Posted by Liber (647 posts) -

Kinect.

#16 Posted by WillyLo (298 posts) -

I started with the KB+Mouse but ended up just plugging in my 360 controller, the menus are just to clumsy to navigate with the KB+Mouse. Feels a lot more natural with the gamepad.

#17 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

I prefer a Kinect moded interface. Nothing beats a good dragon shout by thrusting your pelvis.

#18 Posted by SMTDante89 (2477 posts) -

Keyboard, duh. This kind, right?

Rock Band 3 Keyboard
#19 Posted by Kazona (3055 posts) -

@Sooty said:

@Kazona said:

@Sooty: You can assign hotkeys in skyrim?

Favourite something and then open the favourites menu and press a hot key when you have an item/spell selected, it seems you can only use 1-8 but it's still better than only being able to bind 2 like on console!

Thanks. Tried it, but doesn't seem to do so well with dual wielding. Did a quick google search, and seems like more people are having issues with it. Hopefully they'll fix it in a patch.

#20 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

I say screw KB+M and GamePad >> PenPad is where is at!

#21 Posted by hidys (1028 posts) -

I've been using k&m but I'm thinking of switching to the gamepad as the ui is clearly designed for it.

#22 Posted by Vorbis (2748 posts) -

UI is kind of funky with KB&M, but the short cuts solve a lot of the issues. Sticking with it because I'm mostly using archery.

#23 Posted by Atlas (2401 posts) -

KB+M. Hotkeys means I'm one button away from what I need, don't even need to see those menus.

That said, there have been times during dialogue where I tried to press one option and the game chose another. Dialogue system definitely designed for pad. They probably won't patch it, so I'll wait for a mod.

#24 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

The only case I could think of where someone would use a controller over M+KB is that they're more of a couch&TV person who went for PC because its the better machine. 
I can't imagine why any "real PC gamer" (a desk-humping monitor-hugging PC enthusiast) would use a gamepad with a first person/third person action RPG. 
 
This poll tells me that a lot of GB's PC gamers are couch suckers!

#25 Posted by Metalhead79 (55 posts) -

Keyboard and mouse, just as God intended.

#26 Posted by MachoFantastico (4307 posts) -

Find using a the Xbox 360 gamepad is a must for me.

#27 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

EDIT: Actually, this isn't a totally crazy idea.

#28 Posted by AlexW00d (6065 posts) -

Where's the less obnoxious answer for keyboard and mouse?

#29 Posted by TobbRobb (4413 posts) -

I've been playing KB+M, because why wouldn't I. Though it's painfully obvious this is not how it was intended... All the menus, but especielly the skill tree, sucks horribly to navigate.

I'm not going to plug in a pad for my PC ass PC game!

#30 Posted by Village_Guy (2410 posts) -

Vitality Sensor all the way!@eroticfishcake said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

@zudthespud said:

@zombie2011 said:

Flightstick is the only way to play Skyrim.

I disagree, I've been playing with my steering wheel and it's incredible.

I haven't tried my gamepad yet but I think I might, the UI does get a bit annoying.

Guitar Hero controller all the way.

DANCE MAT MOTHERFUCKERS!!! FEEL THE POWER OF INTERPRETIVE DANCE!!!

Apart from that I've been using KB/M controls. It's a little weird at first especially with the whole right mouse button/LMB with right hoof weapon/LHW since it's reversed but I've gotten used to it now. It's definitely geared towards consoles but I'm okay with it plus I'm on the PC anyway so mods are always an option.

You all got it wrong. Vitality Sensor all the way biatches!

#31 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

I would use a controller if you didn't have to point your crosshairs precisely at an object in order to pick it up/interact with it.

#32 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

@zombie2011: Nope. Racing wheel.

#33 Posted by Butano (1685 posts) -

Been using the gamepad, seems fine to me, other than missing my hotkeys, but the combat feels more fluid with it and analog controls I think are a must for sneaking.

#34 Posted by Sergio (1774 posts) -

Using a gamepad because I'm playing it on my HTPC and would rather just sit back on the couch instead of hunch over the coffee table.

#35 Posted by StealthRaptor (525 posts) -

Xbox controller, but I make liberal use of the F5 button.

#36 Posted by samurai1000 (35 posts) -

Keyboard and mouse for me. Have found no problems and easy to use.

#37 Posted by Stahlbrand (835 posts) -

I played with the Xbox gamepad for the first four hours and wasn't feeling it. I started over with the M/KB of tradition and felt much more at home. Even the menus are better once you learn to WASD them, compared to playing with a gamepad.

I honestly expected that I would end up playing it with a gamepad, but I ended up putting it away - I don't even see myself trying it again.

#38 Posted by Ben_H (3220 posts) -

I need 1-8 (why doesn't 9 work?) so keyboard and mouse. I imagine the menu system would be better with a gamepad though.

#39 Posted by AmishTechSupport (37 posts) -

Power Glove

#40 Posted by JoeyRavn (4888 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

The only case I could think of where someone would use a controller over M+KB is that they're more of a couch&TV person who went for PC because its the better machine. I can't imagine why any "real PC gamer" (a desk-humping monitor-hugging PC enthusiast) would use a gamepad with a first person/third person action RPG. This poll tells me that a lot of GB's PC gamers are couch suckers!

No true Scotsman arguments? You'd be amazed by how people like to enjoy the things they enjoy.

#41 Posted by M_Shini (548 posts) -

I use a pad for it all but its nicer having the keyboard there just for Hotkey switching, the combat for the most part doesnt need the accuracy a mouse gives, Fun either way.

#42 Posted by JP_Russell (1171 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

I'm using a gamepad right now, even though I couldn't play neither Oblivion nor either of the Fallouts with one. The new text-based UI is obviously meant to be navigated with a gamepad, and I can't get over trying to attack with the left click. I know it totally makes sense in the context of the game (right hand = weapon, left hand = shield), but my brain's hardcoded already from all times I've clicked the left button to attack in every other single game out there...

You know you can choose what hand you equip things in, right? Just put your shield in your right hand and your sword in your left.

#43 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

The only case I could think of where someone would use a controller over M+KB is that they're more of a couch&TV person who went for PC because its the better machine. I can't imagine why any "real PC gamer" (a desk-humping monitor-hugging PC enthusiast) would use a gamepad with a first person/third person action RPG. This poll tells me that a lot of GB's PC gamers are couch suckers!

No true Scotsman arguments? You'd be amazed by how people like to enjoy the things they enjoy.

I still to this day don't understand why so many people take arguments such as the one I present here, so seriously. Yes, I'm all for opinions, but I wouldn't lose my shit if someone expressed their bewilderment by another person's certain opinion.  
If you had argued that it's puzzling to you how people can sit on a desk like they're doing homework and play games, I would gladly ask you to elaborate and try to show you the joy in it. It's actually fun to try and describe what the other person is failing to understand. 
But nooo, I'm using the No True Scotsman argument, my logic is whatever, opinions and bla bla bla. 
 
I mean seriously, can't you tell apart the closed minded "trolls" who hate on other people's opinions/enjoyment from those who simply express their opinion of other people's opinions? It's not that hard.
#44 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

Using the keyboard and mouse and apart from the weirdness with the mouse its fine. Might try the 360 controller but I don't really like using it at my desk.

#45 Posted by BigBlueCheese (68 posts) -

Skyrim PC hooked up to my TV. Playing with a gamepad and so far it's a better experience than with KB/M. So far the only down side is I can't get 5.1 sound through optical with Realtek.

Playing on the couch is more comfortable because it's a game I'll be playing for hours on end and it looks better on my 42 plasma than my 24in monitor.

The advantage with KB/M is better aiming with archery and more hotkeys for your spells and weapon sets.

#46 Edited by JoeyRavn (4888 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

I still to this day don't understand why so many people take arguments such as the one I present here, so seriously. Yes, I'm all for opinions, but I wouldn't lose my shit if someone expressed their bewilderment by another person's certain opinion.
If you had argued that it's puzzling to you how people can sit on a desk like they're doing homework and play games, I would gladly ask you to elaborate and try to show you the joy in it. It's actually fun to try and describe what the other person is failing to understand.
But nooo, I'm using the No True Scotsman argument, my logic is whatever, opinions and bla bla bla.

I mean seriously, can't you tell apart the closed minded "trolls" who hate on other people's opinions/enjoyment from those who simply express their opinion of other people's opinions? It's not that hard.

Wow. Talk about overracting. When did I ever call you troll? Or dismissed your opinion? Do whatever you want, but don't generalize using "real PC gamers" as the norm. There's a shitload of people who play games on PC with gamepads inches away from their screens. But whatever, dude. If you're trying to pick up a fight, look somewhere else.

@JP_Russell said:

@JoeyRavn said:

I'm using a gamepad right now, even though I couldn't play neither Oblivion nor either of the Fallouts with one. The new text-based UI is obviously meant to be navigated with a gamepad, and I can't get over trying to attack with the left click. I know it totally makes sense in the context of the game (right hand = weapon, left hand = shield), but my brain's hardcoded already from all times I've clicked the left button to attack in every other single game out there...

You know you can choose what hand you equip things in, right? Just put your shield in your right hand and your sword in your left.

Really, can you? I was under the impression that the shield always goes on the left hand. I could swear I have tried using both right and left buttons and the shield was always assigned to my off-hand. The selection arrow doesn't even have an "R" or an "L", like it does for one-handed weapons. It's empty, like when you select a bow. I'll try when I boot the game again, but I fear that it wouldn't really solve my problem, because I would be controlling a left-handed character. I'm pretty used to moving and fighting as a righty :P

Edit: I tried it and it the shield can only be put in the left hand, as far as I can tell. Unless you have to set it in a different way than one-handed weapons, it doesn't look like you can.

#47 Edited by JP_Russell (1171 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@JP_Russell said:

@JoeyRavn said:

I'm using a gamepad right now, even though I couldn't play neither Oblivion nor either of the Fallouts with one. The new text-based UI is obviously meant to be navigated with a gamepad, and I can't get over trying to attack with the left click. I know it totally makes sense in the context of the game (right hand = weapon, left hand = shield), but my brain's hardcoded already from all times I've clicked the left button to attack in every other single game out there...

You know you can choose what hand you equip things in, right? Just put your shield in your right hand and your sword in your left.

Really, can you? I was under the impression that the shield always goes on the left hand. I could swear I have tried using both right and left buttons and the shield was always assigned to my off-hand. The selection arrow doesn't even have an "R" or an "L", like it does for one-handed weapons. It's empty, like when you select a bow. I'll try when I boot the game again, but I fear that it wouldn't really solve my problem, because I would be controlling a left-handed character. I'm pretty used to moving and fighting as a righty :P

Edit: I tried it and it the shield can only be put in the left hand, as far as I can tell. Unless you have to set it in a different way than one-handed weapons, it doesn't look like you can.

I don't actually have the game yet, so I don't know from experience, but I assumed you could put it in whatever hand you wanted like other one-handed things.

Have you tried equipping a weapon in your left hand first, then equipping the shield and seeing if it auto-assigns it to the right hand? I imagine not being able to select the hand you put it in has something to do with the fact that you can't dual-wield shields, but the auto-assigning may be contextual (such that if you have two things in your hands already, or if you have your right hand occupied only, it auto-assigns to your left hand, but if you have your left hand occupied only, the shield will auto-assign to your right).

If that still doesn't work, then maybe keep an eye out for a mod that fixes that silly limitation on shields? I know I will.

As for being used to playing a right-handed character, I am too, but I guess it just wouldn't really bother me much. I care more about the functional side of things.

#48 Posted by Thanatopsis (1 posts) -

@BigBlueCheese said:

Skyrim PC hooked up to my TV. Playing with a gamepad and so far it's a better experience than with KB/M. So far the only down side is I can't get 5.1 sound through optical with Realtek.

Playing on the couch is more comfortable because it's a game I'll be playing for hours on end and it looks better on my 42 plasma than my 24in monitor.

The advantage with KB/M is better aiming with archery and more hotkeys for your spells and weapon sets.

Did you ever figure out that 5.1 via Realtek optical issue? I tried extensively to get it working(I work as a network admin and know what I'm doing, so it's not some simple thing), but to no avail. So what I do is use the 5.1ch input on my receiver so I get 5.1 channel sound and it works perfect. I'd just prefer to do it all over the 1 digital cable instead of 6 separate analog channels.

#49 Posted by BigBlueCheese (68 posts) -

@Thanatopsis: Yeah don't think it's possible unless the game outputs in dolby or dts. PC games output in PCM.

#50 Posted by Mmmslash (2165 posts) -

M+KB usually, but I swap to the Gamepad when I get lazy and want to put my feet up and lean back in my chair.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.