Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Skyrim (PC) - How Bad Is It Really?

• 145 results
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#101  Edited By warxsnake

@IrishBrewed said:

@warxsnake: i am not sure why you are throwing the heat at the PS 3, they look second in line behind the PC in this. (watch in 1080p)

1.PC

2.PS3

Wii to be determined :)

Yeah, that's the point. The game is built to work on, and designed around the least capable platform, in the case of multiplat open worlds, thats the PS3. So it's logical that it should look comparable to all the other platforms, barring the PC which has unlocked settings when it comes to graphics.

What I'm talking about is what would games look like if you remove that restriction, games like Skyrim would have a whole lot more going on, for example when it comes to animations that everyone complains about. It's natural that the animations are pretty stiff in a game like that, since there's so many other things that need to fit in memory as well (in contrast to a corridor shooter like COD or a more closed RPG like Mass Effect, and so on).

Let me be clear, I'm not bitching about the game's quality, I've been playing the shit out of it and adore it; nor am I bitching about the PS3, my job is to work on that console (and xbox and PC) everyday, I was just explaining to the guy asking about the texture why it is that way with technical facts.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#102  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @DonPixel said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@DonPixel said:

Not bad it is just that couch, gamepad and trophies for long games I prefer.

You're free to prefer what you want but IMO that statement is faulty. What would make sense is to say something like "I enjoy that cinematic experience/that fast paced action/that racing thrill with a gamepad while sitting in a comfy couch". Longer more sophisticated and time-consuming games require the more "dedicated" experience with the broader input devices and sharper visuals that you will stare at for 100+ hours.

There is no such thing as faulty arguments regarding personal preference. Logic is not applied there the same as with objective, concrete or scientific endevours. If you understand games as a form of expression or a interactive media experience there are no such thing as playing it right, that goes equally for cinema, TV, literature or other "human expression" disciplines regardless if some examples within the discipline are consider art or not within the given context or theory used to made such characterization.

Riiight.. o_O  Still butthurt from the couple of BF3 arguments we had huh? Yeah, I'll avoid discussing anything with you from now on, it's like you hold a grudge or something. 

Edit: You edited the post and removed the insulting paragraph you had originally posted, but I'd already seen it.
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By captain_clayman
    @zaglis said:
    Arent the mouse controls fucking awful? Mouse smoothing and Y axis being slower than X axis is what I'm hearing
    yeah they're pretty bad right off the bat, but you can mess with the ini files a bit and it works alright.  it's actually really awesome with the 360 controller, except for the fact that i cant quicksave with any of the 360 buttons.
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By DonPixel

@AhmadMetallic said:

Riiight.. o_O Still butthurt from the couple of BF3 arguments we had huh? Yeah, I'll avoid discussing anything with you from now on, it's like you hold a grudge or something. Edit: You edited the post and removed the insulting paragraph you had originally posted, but I'd already seen it.

I prefer avoid confrontation Ahmad, Anyway I hold my word It wasn't a insulting paragraph, You do are stubborn, single minded, prone to reductionist logic and passive aggressive to whoever don't share your view. I deleted it because I said "Taliban like", I forgot you are Arab and I didn't want to derail the idea with racial nonsense.

I'll say keep your logic it sure is taking you to places.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#105  Edited By TheHT

@AhmadMetallic said:

@DonPixel said:

Not bad it is just that couch, gamepad and trophies for long games I prefer.

You're free to prefer what you want but IMO that statement is faulty. What would make sense is to say something like "I enjoy that cinematic experience/that fast paced action/that racing thrill with a gamepad while sitting in a comfy couch". Longer more sophisticated and time-consuming games require the more "dedicated" experience with the broader input devices and sharper visuals that you will stare at for 100+ hours.

That's ridonkulous.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By DonPixel

@warxsnake: Got it, PS3 memory is indeed kinda fucked up.

largo6661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By largo6661

Im getting a new pc for christmas until then will these specs run skyrim?

Operating System: Windows vista

CPU Type: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz

CPU Speed: 2.35 GHz

System Memory: 3.25 GB

Video Card Model: ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series

Video Card Memory: 1.87 GB

listerfeend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#108  Edited By listerfeend

@Seppli: The only issues I've had have been open-world jank that I've come to expect with massive open-world games (weird dialogue with NPC's, and for a time I was stuck sprinting). The only hardware related issue I've had have been a couple crash to desktop, but they both happened when I was doing something steam related: once when hitting shift-tab (hasn't done this ever again) and when I was trying to take a screenshot of a fucking dragon fighting two giants (I had just quicksaved so it was OK). I'm actually really impressed with its performance otherwise.

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#109  Edited By Cwaff

20 hours in, not a single problem.

gren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By gren

Haven't had a single problem in the 15 hours that I've played so far. And half that time was spent on my old 4870 and the other half on my new 6970, so yeah.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#111  Edited By AlexW00d

@warxsnake said:

@IrishBrewed said:

@warxsnake: i am not sure why you are throwing the heat at the PS 3, they look second in line behind the PC in this. (watch in 1080p)

1.PC

2.PS3

Wii to be determined :)

Yeah, that's the point. The game is built to work on, and designed around the least capable platform, in the case of multiplat open worlds, thats the PS3. So it's logical that it should look comparable to all the other platforms, barring the PC which has unlocked settings when it comes to graphics.

What I'm talking about is what would games look like if you remove that restriction, games like Skyrim would have a whole lot more going on, for example when it comes to animations that everyone complains about. It's natural that the animations are pretty stiff in a game like that, since there's so many other things that need to fit in memory as well (in contrast to a corridor shooter like COD or a more closed RPG like Mass Effect, and so on).

Let me be clear, I'm not bitching about the game's quality, I've been playing the shit out of it and adore it; nor am I bitching about the PS3, my job is to work on that console (and xbox and PC) everyday, I was just explaining to the guy asking about the texture why it is that way with technical facts.

I don't really understand why they couldn't just alter the amount they render at times, or just release a higher definition texture pack for the PC. In some places the textures are fucking awful.

E: Also the game was developed with the xbox in mind, not the PS3.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Aus_azn

It's perfectly fine, other than what seems like super poor optimization (but much less taxing than Oblivion).

I got fed up of the MnK scheme for navigating the menus after 2 hours; I'm using a PS3 controller now.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By warxsnake

@AlexW00d: They never specified as far as I am aware, regardless, the pipeline is the same whichever console is lead, you have memory constraints on both more than anything else.

The lead producer on Skyrim said: “We use the consoles as our lead SKU… So we develop towards the consoles and then porting to PC is usually not too bad actually .”
    The above comments are likely to cause PC gamers a bit of grief, and the next thing on Craig Lafferty’s mind was unlikely to appease them.

As far as a texture pack goes, thats upto the artists and artistic/tech direction to specify what's the maximum texture resolution for various archetypes (weapons tex max 1024 usually, 512 for a third person shooter). There's no real lack of memory on PC graphics cards these days, it would be easy to save higher res textures (2048 for weapons and so on) and unlock those under an uber GFX setting or whatever. Keep in mind that making assets at those higher resolutions requires double the work, and double the processing power (baking Normal maps, displacement maps, creating diffuse textures that support such a resolution, sculpting high res models of the weapons and armor at finer detail so that the details are even visible at higher res, etc).

p00rdevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By p00rdevil

Rocking out with a i7 cpu, gtx580 3gb, win 7 64, 6gb system ram, and a fw900 16:10 crt to display it on. Been playing for several hours with no crashes or freezes. Game looks fabulous. I do notice some textures look flat or bland up close but not all of them. Mostly the rocks up in the snowy mountains, or some rocky walls of forts that look kind of blurry or flat. Overall though no complaints on the visuals, the game's graphics are stunning in scope and detail. The lighting is also great as well. And the water..wow.

astrodoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#115  Edited By astrodoggy

I've played like 4 hours(with PS3 controller && motionjoy), and it was smooth as butter. Controller is a must.

Juvarial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Juvarial

@Largo6661: How much is that going to cost? O-O

You could probably build a cheaper rig with better specs if you went custom. Seriously.

My friends Q6600 2.4 GHz per core quad 6 GB DDR2 RAM ATI 4700 is looking not too bad.

But yeah. If its more of a budget then you could pretty easily get a low-mid tier PC going-Most little PC shops do the build for free.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#117  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

After 22 hours I can safetly say that Skyrim is perfectly fine on the PC.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#118  Edited By mike

Ten hours of play and I've had two crashes to desktop. Radeon Crossfire setup, too. Running great.

saethir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By saethir

Only problem I had was for some reason anti-aliasing wasn't working at all on my 6950 @ 1920 by 1080 (didn't check other resolutions.) Fixed it by disabling AA in the game settings and overriding it in Catalyst. Damn this game is purdy.

p00rdevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By p00rdevil

I'm playing @ 2304X1440 and forgo the AA. This is the most enjoyable single player game I have played in a while.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Th3_James

24 hours and not a single problem. In every way possible.

jelekeloy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By jelekeloy

I've crashed like 4-5 times in about 12 hours of playing. There's one part of the second town that makes the framerate drop to about 30, but that's only a problem for about 5 seconds as you run through it. I have a GTX 560 (not Ti) with the latest drivers. These problems haven't really been a big deal though because the saves are so frequent and I've begun to press F5 every minute as an unnecessary precaution. The game is fantastic though.

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Moonshadow101

I've been playing almost nonstop since friday. I really haven't had any issues. A few unwanted closes, but if you're not hitting F5 every twelve seconds in this kind of game, you're doing it wrong. And he controls are fine, although I had to crank the shit out of my mouse sensitivity.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Ravenlight

Yes, Skyrim is a little buggy. No, it doesn't detract from how awesome the game is.

Anathem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#125  Edited By Anathem

There are some weird frame rate drops, particularly in towns. Lots of talk on the official forums. It seems that nobody in the world can look down the stairs in Whiterun. at more than 35fps on Ultra. The weird thing is that extremely high-end and mid-range machines are getting similar results.

The theory is that the shadows are rendered on the CPU and not the GPU, but that alone probably wouldn't explain it because there are people with 4.5GHz i7's getting the same results as me on my 3.36GHz. The only setting I can change to make it faster is the Shadows, which really just changes the shadow draw-distance.

There's a thread with screenshots and fps counters here.

Yes, it's a bit nit-picky, but frame rate drops can really hurt the immersion.

It's an amazing game, though. Really hope to be able to run it a bit better soon.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Mmmslash

This is absolutely the least buggy Bethesda game I have ever played. Don't get me wrong, there is still some of our open world jank, with stuff clipping into the ground and flying through the sky, but I haven't crashed, my performance has stayed smooth, I've only had one quest bug on me.

vaportra1l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#127  Edited By vaportra1l

No problems on my rig running x64 Win7 and sli GTX 460s. No crashes or anything in about 10 hours gameplay.

Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Impossibilium

Keyboard bindings are totally fucked up. Some are locked in but you don't know until you change them by the fact the functions no longer work - like favorites. Navigating menus is a mess if you change bindings and the prompts sometimes reflect the correct buttons to press and other times don't.

Crashes repeatedly unless you run very far away very quickly at the bridge collapse in the first cave.

Enabling 8x AA at 2560x1600 causes the view to distort to unplayable levels.

High-res textures as have been reported elsewhere are anything but. The square rope screenshot is still hilariously bad. It's like something from Quake 1.

Shadow map and shadow quality are inextricably linked. So you can either have minecraft quality shadows over a distance or nice looking shadows for about ten feet.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Wuddel

So over 30 hours in I have to say I have nearly no problems. Some times a hard crash if I excessively Alt+Tab back and forth.

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#130  Edited By Floppypants

40 hours in, my main complaints:

• Alt-tabbing causes the game to crash
    • ~4 seemingly random crashes to desktop
    • Sometimes when I bump out to 3rd person to look at myself, my head is missing.  It has something to do with my character's hood and mask not liking each other.
    • During one dungeon the scripting broke and I stopped getting dialogue from the NPCs there
    • I noticed the framerate dipped at one point
    • Fucking Orchendor.  He's either invincible, I missed something, or he's bugged.

A few blemishes on what is otherwise the best game I've ever played.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bar the occasional, inexplicable frame-rate drop I haven't had a single problem. Even those are rare, and almost always very, very brief and at moments where it doesn't impact the game, i.e. walking around a town.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By gike987

I started getting constant crashes yesterday, but I made the game Large Address Aware and I haven't had a crash since I did that.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#133  Edited By spazmaster666

@Floppypants said:

40 hours in, my main complaints:
    • Alt-tabbing causes the game to crash
    • ~4 seemingly random crashes to desktop
    • Sometimes when I bump out to 3rd person to look at myself, my head is missing. It has something to do with my character's hood and mask not liking each other.
    • During one dungeon the scripting broke and I stopped getting dialogue from the NPCs there
    • I noticed the framerate dipped at one point
    • Fucking Orchendor. He's either invincible, I missed something, or he's bugged.

A few blemishes on what is otherwise the best game I've ever played.

For the alt-tab issue, you usually have to do it twice for the game to load back into fullscreen. Also, alt-tabbing back once and then pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete and then canceling seems to load it back up for me. The game didn't crash at all for the first twenty hours or so for me but has since crashed about three times since. Twice it was after a load/fast travel and once it was after discovering a location. I'm thinking it may have to do with the game hitting the 2GB limit so I'm now using the large address aware fix just to be safe.

Avatar image for eastboundspider
    EastboundSpider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By EastboundSpider

At least it's not new vegas!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7trmEmI5Js

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
    RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

20 or so hours into it and not a single issue so far.

cashbasket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By cashbasket

I've been having an issue with Skyrim crashing to desktop whenever it feels like it. I tried a fix after reading about it on the Bethesda forums, and haven't had a problem since. I'd describe the fix, but I'm too tired to remember exactly what I did :(

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By supamon

Been playing the past couple of days. No real big issues at all.

The only problem I have is whenever I get off this horse, which I got from a stormcloak camp, it slides away quickly and disappears, meaning if I got off in the middle of nowhere I would have to continue walking on my own because my horse decided to moonwalk away. Fortunately I have a decent amount of stamina and that dashing shout.

velt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By velt

No crashes. Be aware that is pretty intensive on the cpu side of things, i mean of course it will give your video card a run for its money but it pushes the cpu a lot.

Running since friday and its cool. Game bugs on characters and quests, they are probably fixing those but they are not so common, and some are downright hilarious.

Jacobdadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Jacobdadam

You think my laptop will run skyrim okay? all i got is 2gb of ram, a celeron 900 2.2gh

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Anund

After playing for a long time it seems I am experiencing that some textures go missing. It's also crashed once, but I wouldn't call the game especially buggy in a game breaking sense.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Giefcookie

About 20hours in, 1crash so far. Also the game has some issues with alt-tabbing but nothing major. Compared to a lot of PC releases this year its been a good launch.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#142  Edited By Evilsbane

I really honestly haven't had anything weird happen, the game is running great and it even handles my computers weird little problem with minimizing the game it comes right back up with no issues, some weird texture stuff goes on in the background on mountains and such but its rare and isn't that bad and if that is all I have had in 20+ hours on a Bethesda game, mission accomplished.

Edit: I just remembered I have had it randomly close the game with no error message or anything twice but the autosave system has made both those times pretty painless.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Anund said:

After playing for a long time it seems I am experiencing that some textures go missing. It's also crashed once, but I wouldn't call the game especially buggy in a game breaking sense.

I've had the texture problem too.  Saving and reloading fixes it, but it's pretty annoying.  The game randomly crashes to desktop really quite regularly too. 
    Not as buggy as their other games, but still far from a good experience.
    jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By jetsetwillie

@Jacobdadam: lol

Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Vigilance

I've had one freeze.

Folks who are saying the mouse is slow- I haven't seen that either.

I am running windows 7 on a fairly advanced machine though, which seems to be what the game is built for.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.