Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Skyrim Shrink Ray - I made a mod!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Bollard

Version 1.2 with Growth Ray, now available!

Version 1.2, now with Growth Ray, available!
    Version 1.2, now with Growth Ray, available!

Mod Link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=9051

=Description=

Adds two new weapons to Skyrim - The Shrink Ray: Bring those pesky giants down to size! - And The Growth Ray: Make the smallest of enemies a big deal!

=Where to find the gun?=

Currently the "guns" reside in Whiterun, next to the workbench at the Forge. Literally turn right just on entry and it's there! Check the second screenshot on the workshop mod page to see exactly where.

=Finally...=

Here's a screenshot that really made me laugh:

HELL YEAH TINY SHADOWMERE!
    HELL YEAH TINY SHADOWMERE!
    Talis12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Talis12

LOL! riding mini horses looks awesome :D

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Maluvin

Okay I need this mod if for no other reason than to make my son laugh when I ride around on mini horse.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By EarlessShrimp

quick question: will giants still hit as hard as they do? I would love to see a tiny giant deal massive damage to low level characters!

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By CJduke

Haha gonna get this at some point

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By GS_Dan

Awesome :D

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By chilibean_3

Well done.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Akrid

Very cool! I can probably do a ray gun model for you, though I'm not terribly familiar with in-game stuff so I dunno how that'll go.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SeriouslyNow

DRAGON IN A GLASS JAR. 
    DRAGON IN A GLASS FUCKING JAR!!

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jozzy

Very clever, nicely done! Am I right in assuming they will still do the same damage and have the same hp?

Would be cool if you could make them so tiny you can SQUAT THEM UNDER YOUR BOOTS.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By huntad

Haha. Tiny horse is the coolest thing I've seen all day. I wish I had this on PC.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By CptChiken

wow a tiny horse would be pretty hilarious 

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By TheHT

tiny horse realizes the potential of this mod. good stuff.

beckley205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By beckley205

Can I make a REALLY small Glowbug?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bollard

@EarlessShrimp said:

quick question: will giants still hit as hard as they do? I would love to see a tiny giant deal massive damage to low level characters!

Yep they totally do!

@beckley205 said:

Can I make a REALLY small Glowbug?

I don't think this will work... yet. Glowbugs might not count as "actors", and unfortunately I haven't found a way for spells to affect objects, rather than NPCs. I have a bad feeling that telekinesis was hardcoded as a temporary ability...

@Akrid said:

Very cool! I can probably do a ray gun model for you, though I'm not terribly familiar with in-game stuff so I dunno how that'll go.

That's awesome of you to offer man! I have no idea what the requirements are for the models in Skyrim, I might have a browse through later to see what the specs need to be.

@jozzy said:

Very clever, nicely done! Am I right in assuming they will still do the same damage and have the same hp?

Would be cool if you could make them so tiny you can SQUAT THEM UNDER YOUR BOOTS.

Yeah they totally do, I'm considering scaling their stats down too though... Also, for some reason the hit/collision boxes for enemies don't scale the same amount as the enemies themselves, which is really weird. If I can work out what is going on there, then maybe I can make them squishable haha :P

@SeriouslyNow said:

DRAGON IN A GLASS JAR.
    DRAGON IN A GLASS FUCKING JAR!!

I might actually make one of these in a second and place it in the street in Whiterun... Is there a glass jar in the game already?

Also thanks all for the positive feedback! I really hope I can implement some of the future features I have planned, but some stuff may or may not actually be possible with the Creation Kit (manipulating objects, rather than NPCs, and having one weapon with customisable scaling.)

I can confirm though that soon I will add the ability to repeatedly shrink dudes, after you've already shrunk them one, and:

THE GROWTH RAY

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That's awesome.

For the record, I think it works really well as a staff.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bollard

@drag: Awesome! That's good to know in case I don't get the chance to implement a raygun model. I was wondering, if I make the Growth Ray as a separate staff/gun, how should I make it differ? Different staff model? Different colour projectile?

Also hopefully just implemented consecutive shrinking. Now you can make small things smaller! (I think I've limited it to 3 hits too.)

EDIT: Need quick feedback, anyone, do you think it would be a good idea to control whether the ray enlarges or shrinks enemies by having the player wear different rings? If I make the ray a generic ray, and when you are wearing the "Ring of Shrinking," it shrinks enemies, but the "Ring of Growth" enlarges enemies? Whaddya think!

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Akrid
    No Caption Provided

@Chavtheworld:

This is what I've got so far, but I haven't worked on it too much and it's in a rather messy state. Any suggestions?

Trying to keep it as low-res as possible for now, as I have no idea how many polys are reasonable for Skyrim. I also don't really know what kinds of shaders are available to me in Skyrim... I repurposed an older model for this, so that's why it's kinda weird lookin' in it's current state.

As for the rings, that's a little much. People won't really want to take off their amazing rings just to use your weapon. I think two separate palette swapped guns with different coloured projectiles would be fine.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By hatking

You should pitch up their voices once they're tiny!!!

Also they shouldn't hit as hard once they are so small. Haha...

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Dingofighter

Two separate guns that shrink and grow would be better, especially as there is dual-wielding in the game.
    Running through a town shrinking and growing people left and right. 

Or maybe just have both options there, rings and separate guns, but that would obviously mean more work...

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bollard

@Akrid said:

No Caption Provided

@Chavtheworld:

This is what I've got so far, but I haven't worked on it too much and it's in a rather messy state. Any suggestions?

Trying to keep it as low-res as possible for now, as I have no idea how many polys are reasonable for Skyrim. I also don't really know what kinds of shaders are available to me in Skyrim... I repurposed an older model for this, so that's why it's kinda weird lookin' in it's current state.

As for the rings, that's a little much. People won't really want to take off their amazing rings just to use your weapon. I think two separate palette swapped guns with different coloured projectiles would be fine.

That's looking pretty damn good! Pretty much what I had in mind, the only other thing I had in my mind at the time was a few rings around the barrel before the bobble at the end, kinda like planet rings. Thanks a lot for giving it a go! (like this maybe?)

All I do know is the Creation Kit requires the file type of the model to be .NIF

Apparently it's a special format that only Gamebryo Engine games use, I know nothing about these things, but apparently here's a link to a sourceforge project which allows you to export models as that file type. http://niftools.sourceforge.net/wiki/

Again thanks a lot for working on it :)

@MaFoLu: I'm thinking of going with separate guns now, as I just managed to get the ring method working, but ran up against a huge wall. You see, the ID's for objects in the gameworld are determined by the order the plugins are loaded in. For me, my mod loads 6th in the Data Files, but on other's it could be much, much later. So, if I'm writing an IF statement which is checking if the user has a certain ID item equipped, it totally only works on computers which load my mod 6th. Not great!

As @Akrid: said, keeping it simple with separate ones is going to be so much easier. I totally forgot you could dual wield like crazy too!

@HatKing said:

You should pitch up their voices once they're tiny!!!

Also they shouldn't hit as hard once they are so small. Haha...

Surprisingly quite a few people want giants hitting for full damage whilst tiny though! And no idea if I can do anything about high pitched voices but I'll look into it!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bollard

Updated the original post with Version 1.2 information!

INV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By INV2

Super creative stuff like this is why I literally just purchased a copy of Windows 7 and Skyrim (PC) and will installing on my Mac this weekend!

Bleeble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bleeble

Awesome mod, keep up the good work!

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Masha2932

That looks cool.

Can you mod vehicles into Skyrim? Imagine driving a dune buggy as you're chased by a dragon. Please tell me this is possible?

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By ReyGitano

Tiny horses just seems like one of those ideas where you don't realize how great it actually is until you see it.

Fantastic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.