Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Skyrim will be "mostly a DX9" game, could have DX11 support

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By JoeyRavn

Via PC Gamer:

Game director Todd Howard has been talking about the PC version of the game will compete with its console competitors. Aside from better quality textures and higher resolutions, he says Skyrim will “looks the same” on PC as it does on consoles. However, possible DirectX 11 support further down the line could give the PC version a significant graphical advantage.

Howard was spoke to Eurogamer about the PC version of Skyrim. “It scales up in all the ways you would expect. We author our art really high res. There are little things we do with all of our games on the PC. With the PC the texture sizes are going to be as big as you want to make them, and you can pump the resolution up, obviously.”

When it comes to comparisons with the console versions, Howard says “the game looks the same. The benefit we get when you’re playing a PC game is you’re sitting this far away [moves hands in front of his face]. At home when you’re on your console you’re usually sitting six to eight feet away.” He adds that Skyrim is “mostly a DirectX 9 game in terms of how the shaders work.”

Howard does say that there’s chance that advanced DirectX 11 support further down the line. “When it comes to DirectX 11 there are things they get us for free, like performance gains. You’re going to get performance gains out of it versus an older version.

“But the specifics DX11 does, like tessellation and all that kinda stuff, we aren’t taking advantage of that right now. That doesn’t mean we won’t in the future. We aren’t right now because we want to author it so it looks great.”

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is set for a worldwide release on November 11. It’s looking pretty amazing for a DirectX 9 game. Check out the latest batch of screens to see for yourself.

Personally, I think that's just fine and dandy. As long as it plays well and has a good story, the graphics can always be improved with mods on PC. The thing is... you can see how the development of the game has been geared towards consoles. Not a bad thing per se, but if it does limit its potential due to the constrains imposed by an aging generation of consoles, well... You get what I'm saying.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

well thats a shame =/  after watching the gameplay trailer i thought this was one of the few games that'll really work up my future GTX 580 .

bollocks 
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By shiftymagician

If the mod community pulls a miracle by making a graphics extender for Skyrim like they did Morrowind, I think we'll be fine.  Also so long as they put a lot of effort into the art direction and make the whole game look visually pleasing as well as engaging with good game mechanics, we will have a winner regardless of the level of DirectX that was used.

However it doesn't mean I wouldn't want an Elder Scrolls game that is trying to get a visual fidelity close to what will be on offer with Battlefield 3 for example, as that would just be amazing to immerse myself into.  Perhaps next time I guess.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Cirdain

Personally I didn't think that the screenshots or videos of it looked fantastic. But I don't care. I'm more in for the gameplay and insanity (story) anyway :)

Do I care... No.
    Gameplay ftw!!!
    P.S. I think Witcher 2 gonna be better anyway but I'm looking forward to Skyrim as well :)
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Just another console downgrade like crysis 2, where all versions looks the same. It better have mod support and they don't take that out. I hope we still get graphical options this time around unlike the trend we are seeing with pc games lately.

I honestly think that pc gaming has already surpassed consoles by two api, like DX10 and DX11 and since consoles are where all the money is, they don't even want to use DX11 at all. They don't get anymore money out of it and they don't care which will only alienate more pc gamers.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @Cirdain: Damn you...no more Witcher 2 pics...no more Witcher 2 anything, i hate getting hyped!
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Long as it plays well, fuck, do, I, care.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Animasta
    @TheDudeOfGaming said:
    " @Cirdain: Damn you...no more Witcher 2 pics...no more Witcher 2 anything, i hate getting hyped! "
    get fucking HYPED wait

it's not coming out for a month

MOTHERFUCKER

but yeah on topic this isn't surprising.
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    " Long as it plays well, fuck, do, I, care. "
    Well said...well said indeed sir.
    Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Venatio

Well this makes me very happy and I guess I'm going with the PC version, my rig is mostly for DX9 and DX10 games anyway

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By Davvyk

Its kind of disappointing because i want my pc to be utilised to the max but we're at a moment in time when until we get a new batch of consoles based around dx11 this is how its going to be. It still looks great, it will still play great all will still be great but I just cant help get away from the "what if" scenario where id love to see what my pc is really capable of right now.

On the flipside at least i know its going to run smooooooth and that matters more than any amount of graphical  bells.
    Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Looks good to me so

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By damodar

There seems to be a fairly disappointing apathy towards DX11 in general, which is a a shame, because it's capable of some very cool tricks. Eh, I get it. Put your focus were the profits are to be had.

When I first got my DX11 card and was running tech demos like the Unigine "Heaven" demo, I thought "Imagine an Elder Scrolls game that looked like this". It seems like Bethesda is really getting their stuff together in terms of fixing the fairly awful art direction and absolutely terrible animation that has kinda plagued the series. It would be nice if they could match this with a step up in graphical quality, at least on one platform.

You can take an "If it good, that's all secondary" attitude to it, and I can fully agree with that in the case of TES games. They're bugged out the wazoo and have some very noticeable defects, but they're incredible games, so you look past that stuff. But part of the enjoyment of the games is the immersion and if the graphical fidelity was taken up a level to further support all the brilliant lore they craft, I think it'd be really amazing.

But whatever, I'm still so excited for this game. Fallout 3 was great, but TES has a very special place in my heart and it looks like Skyrim is going to be an amazing entry to the series. If we get extended DX11 support somewhere down the line, then great. If not, there's still Max Von Sydow :3
    grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By grilledcheez

MEH, I'm sure the gameplay will make up for it not being the most graphically intensive rpg ever.  

EDIT: Also do you guys think it will look better on my 360 (optimized for it) or my pc with a 460gtx?
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Cirdain
    @GrilledCheez01 said:
    " MEH, I'm sure the gameplay will make up for it not being the most graphically intensive rpg ever.  

EDIT: Also do you guys think it will look better on my 360 (optimized for it) or my pc with a 460gtx?
    "
    lol
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheDudeOfGaming said:
    " @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    Well said...well said indeed sir. "
    Its madame actually, but thanks!
    I seriously believe graphics are at their peak, sure they could be better what good will it do for the story/gameplay/replaying?
    Gimme gameplay, or get out.
    Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Zippedbinders

I think it looks great regardless of which version of DX its optimized for, Bethesda titles have always lived by their mod community and, you know, the hundreds of hours of content already there. Doesn't matter, I plan to build a decent PC by the time this and Rage are out, the less I have to spend to get things going at good settings the better.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By PufferFiz

its sad only because it doesn't advance pc development. Even if you don't use the features you have to put out DX11 in 2011.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By damodar
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    " @TheDudeOfGaming said:
    Its madame actually, but thanks!I seriously believe graphics are at their peak, sure they could be better what good will it do for the story/gameplay/replaying?Gimme gameplay, or get out. "
    Well graphics certainly help immersion etc and it's such a visual medium. Stuff like Uncharted is as thrilling as it is in no small part because of how it looks. And since they aren't mutually exclusive, there's zero reason to not want things to look visually better.
    blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By blueduck

No one has seen what this game will look like on a pc yet.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Subjugation

Wow, that's pretty disappointing. There better be content as amazing as the Dark Brotherhood quest line from Oblivion or I'm going to be pissed.

astonish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By astonish

I still don't get why people are always up in arms when a game says they won't use DX11. Yes, there are a few new tricks and some efficiencies that come with using it, but only if its done right. DX9 still has lots of room to make really amazing looking games. Just look at that new Rage demo!

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By damodar
    @astonish said:
    " I still don't get why people are always up in arms when a game says they won't use DX11. Yes, there are a few new tricks and some efficiencies that come with using it, but only if its done right. DX9 still has lots of room to make really amazing looking games. Just look at that new Rage demo! "
    DX9 was released in 2002. I think moving on is long overdue. Look at what DICE have done with DX11 in BF:BC2 and what we've seen of BF3 so far.

If people get up in arms, it's probably because they have hardware and very little that can actually make use of it's potential. It would be like if you bought the original xbox but most of the developers didn't bother making anything that looked better than Dreamcast games. Wouldn't you be a little disappointed or annoyed?
    Simulacrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Simulacrum
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Damodar said:
    " @TheDudeOfGaming said:
    Its madame actually, but thanks!I seriously believe graphics are at their peak, sure they could be better what good will it do for the story/gameplay/replaying?Gimme gameplay, or get out. "
    Well graphics certainly help immersion etc and it's such a visual medium. Stuff like Uncharted is as thrilling as it is in no small part because of how it looks. And since they aren't mutually exclusive, there's zero reason to not want things to look visually better. "
    Exactly what I expected, but I'm personally more then fine with what we got now, it all looks amazing, yet story and gameplay often leaves lots to be desired.
    That's what I want changed up, couldn't care for any DX as long as it plays well, I mean, Minecraft.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By melcene

I am perfectly fine with DX9 at the moment.

bongoboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bongoboy

Hell, I just want the game to be fun before I complain about graphics.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#28  Edited By DJJoeJoe
    @weeman105 said:
    " Wow, that's pretty disappointing. There better be content as amazing as the Dark Brotherhood quest line from Oblivion or I'm going to be pissed. "
    Every time someone says 'I'm gunna be pissed' I can't help but think of diggnation and this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD7gffP0FPw&feature=player_detailpage#t=165s

It's funny, and better than the alternative that someone is actually getting mad over a video game.
    RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RoyCampbell

FUCKING CONSOLES GRRAAAAAAAHHHHH

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By Bollard
    @Cirdain said:
    " Personally I didn't think that the screenshots or videos of it looked fantastic. But I don't care. I'm more in for the gameplay and insanity (story) anyway :)

Do I care... No.Gameplay ftw!!!P.S. I think Witcher 2 gonna be better anyway but I'm looking forward to Skyrim as well :) "
    Even Oblivions wooden ass combat was better than The Witcher :P
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Cirdain
    @Chavtheworld said:

" @Cirdain said:

" Personally I didn't think that the screenshots or videos of it looked fantastic. But I don't care. I'm more in for the gameplay and insanity (story) anyway :)

Do I care... No.Gameplay ftw!!!P.S. I think Witcher 2 gonna be better anyway but I'm looking forward to Skyrim as well :) "
    Even Oblivions wooden ass combat was better than The Witcher :P "
    I liked the bit in oblivion where you fought TROLLs! You know. Then there was that time you walk past somewhere and get a side quest where you go into into a painting and fought painted TROLLs who were TROLLING around and they were painted so they were like normal TROLLs but even scummier!
    Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Meowshi
    @Cirdain said:
    " @Chavtheworld said:

" @Cirdain said:

I liked the bit in oblivion where you fought TROLLs! You know. Then there was that time you walk past somewhere and get a side quest where you go into into a painting and fought painted TROLLs who were TROLLING around and they were painted so they were like normal TROLLs but even scummier! "

No Caption Provided
     What are you trying to say?
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By Bollard
    @Meowshi said:
    " @Cirdain said:
    " @Chavtheworld said:

" @Cirdain said:

I liked the bit in oblivion where you fought TROLLs! You know. Then there was that time you walk past somewhere and get a side quest where you go into into a painting and fought painted TROLLs who were TROLLING around and they were painted so they were like normal TROLLs but even scummier! "

No Caption Provided
     What are you trying to say?
    "
    Hahahaha that made me smile. Both of you.

Also, that quest was awesome, no jokes. In what other games can you go into paintings and fight painting dudes? (But, I'm pretty sure he was an Orc :P)
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I'm cool with it. I don't really see the problem. From what we've seen already, it looks great. If DX11 makes it look better then fine, but it obviously isn't hurting without it.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JoeyRavn

Oh, come on, guys. Don't get so personal. Different people, different opinions.

I think that we can all agree that not suffering SpeedTree and Gamebryo more than makes up for DX9, right? :)

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Matfei90

The screens and trailer footage look fantastic. DX11 doesn't matter if they're pumping out that stuff. What are you really missing out on... tesselation? Zero point in that if the game isn't constructed with it in mind.

DX9 is perfectly serviceable.

Badhands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Badhands

I still play TES: 4 at least once a year..... so as long as this has good story and game play I don't care. (Also even if its only DX9 a lot of really nice looking games are DX9, so although some lighting from DX11 would be nice it isn't to big of a deal.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.