Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Skyrim’s PS3 Lag Getting Addressed This Month

• 148 results
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By crusader8463

My enjoyment with this game was momentary at best and the constant crash to desktops, extremely bland combat, uninteresting characters, and non-existent story left a bad taste in my mouth with this game. Here's hoping they can address those things in six. They came close this time around, but they got a long way to go.

Fuga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Fuga

shouldn't have bothered with a ps3 version at all

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#53  Edited By nickux

I've had the PS3 version since Christmas Day and haven't taken it out of the plastic until they fix these issues. Glad to see a fix is on the way, now to finish Peace Walker before then.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By strainedeyes

I wish I could have more confidence in the term "addressed", but we'll see.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By napalm

@sofacitysweetheart said:

Yo. This Tweet just in...

@Bethesda @patrickklepek Skyrim's still broken but who cares ur site gave us GOTY we iz teh best lol #goty #fuckyall

Haha!

punpun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By punpun
    @Fuga said:

shouldn't have bothered with a ps3 version at all

The PS3 version is the only one a lot of people can play, including myself. I'm glad they bothered.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By vitor

@chortleofearl said:

It seems they have dumbed down the textures with every patch. Maybe i am crazy but i remember when i first started playing it in november it looked amazing. Now not so much and the lag isn't helping.

You're not wrong - The Digital Foundry article on Eurogamer spotted this also. It was their attempt in 1.2 to fix the lag as it may have been a memory leak (hence lower resolution textures).

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#58  Edited By monkeyking1969

I'll believe it when I see it. Bethesda has spent all of its "take their word for it" equity that they had from me.

carlfoster91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By carlfoster91

I have Skyrim on PS3 and I had to put it off for the past three or so months with Dark Souls and Rayman and as such, Dark Souls became my game of the year. Maybe after the fix I'll stop being so bitter about Skrim winning GOTY. Its a giid game and all, I'm just not having fun when because the game runs like Jell-O.

SquigHerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#60  Edited By SquigHerd

I've got both, and it's disappointing that skyrim has these issues...don't think it deserved GOTY with how broken it is. Saying "oh, that's bethesda" isn't an excuse by any means either.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By phish09

If it makes you guys feel any better my 360 version crashed on me last night. 50 hours or so into the game and that is the first real glitch I've encountered, but still, the point is that bugs and the like aren't limited to the PS3 version.

mikethekilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By mikethekilla

@Volgin13 said:

If you got Skyrim problems, I feel bad for you son. I dodged ninety-nine arrows but my knee took one.

Well done sir, well done.

PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By PulledaBrad

How the GB guys can award this game GOTY and it being horribly broken for an entire system yet tossing MK out the window because its multiplayer was busted for a bit seems kinda contrairian to me. I mean I dont think MK should have gotten GOTY, but buty that criteria, Skyrim shouldnt have gotten the top nod.

Evan007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By Evan007

Finally! My problems havent been horrible, but I still have mild lag issues from time to time.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#65  Edited By falling_fast

@phish09 said:

If it makes you guys feel any better my 360 version crashed on me last night. 50 hours or so into the game and that is the first real glitch I've encountered, but still, the point is that bugs and the like aren't limited to the PS3 version.

people on the ps3 are dealing with stuff like the game looking like a slideshow for long periods at a time, because of near 0 fps framerate

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Spoonman671

Whatever you say, Bethesda.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#67  Edited By sopranosfan

I am going to solve all the problems for the people complaining about Bethesda games on the PS3. They are never going to run great on the system and especially close to launch. You know this so you need to decide whether or not you are going to buy it and deal with the problems, wait until a lot of the problems are fixed, or simply not buy it. I honestly believe that Bethesda in some regards would be better off not even making games for the PS3 but that would really suck for the people willing to put up with the problems in order to enjoy the game. I am lucky enough to have both systems so I have never had to deal with the problems on the PS3 and I am sure it would suck if I were but I can't believe the problems would be worth not playing it for me.

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Ninja_Welshman

Haven't had this to me but stopped playing after finding a backward dragon and reading about the framerate problems. Didn't want that to spoil, from what i've have played, is a fantastic game. If they finally fix this then i'll play it again but until it gathers dust!! Plenty of other games to finish.

Avatar image for sniperwolf_2010
    sniperwolf_2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By sniperwolf_2010

I've been playing the Ps3 version and the lag was game breaking a few times. The biggest issue for myself are all the broken quests I have. After I completed the main questline I just went ahead and started a new game; because of the fact that I would have entire quests grind to a halt because one thing would be bugged. I've had a great time playing the game, but I sincerely hope the patch helps everyone else playing the ps3 version.

two_socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By two_socks

I'll believe it when I can play the game for more than an hour at a time without having to restart my PS3.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#71  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Great! Too bad I'm 99 hours in and done about all the stuff I want to do in the game.

The lag can get pretty bad at times, but it never really got game breaking for me. It was mostly fine in dungeons, actually. But in towns...ugh.

BlkMagik07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By BlkMagik07

Although I haven't had any problems on my end with the PS3 version, it's good to see that Bethesda has finally taken heed to the problem and plans on addressing it.

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

@phish09 said:

Crashes are generally to do with the hardrive and console itself rather than the coding of the game (where the bugs come from), and I don't think anyone here is saying the 360 version is bug free. Just wait until a giant spawns in a city, or an NPC disappears for hours (or even forever) or your companions dying right in front of you without even being hit by anything.

bilbomarks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By bilbomarks

@sopranosfan said:

I am going to solve all the problems for the people complaining about Bethesda games on the PS3. They are never going to run great on the system and especially close to launch. You know this so you need to decide whether or not you are going to buy it and deal with the problems, wait until a lot of the problems are fixed, or simply not buy it. I honestly believe that Bethesda in some regards would be better off not even making games for the PS3 but that would really suck for the people willing to put up with the problems in order to enjoy the game. I am lucky enough to have both systems so I have never had to deal with the problems on the PS3 and I am sure it would suck if I were but I can't believe the problems would be worth not playing it for me.

I read your post like 13 times and non of my problems were solved. WTF

zef40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By zef40

bit late. just sayin.

LevelRouter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By LevelRouter

Too little too late. I'm already done with Skyrim.

The lag was a giant pain though. Considering that they've had trouble with ps3 versions before I guess that this is something I should've foreseen before going in. Makes me feel like an idiot, I'll make sure to not buy another bethesda product on ps3 again.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By AiurFlux

I'll believe it when I see it. Let's face it, Bethesda hasn't exactly been stellar when it's come to patching this fucking game. And the fact that something like this, which they and the media are MASSIVELY underplaying as far as I'm concerned, slipped through the cracks in and of itself is a reason to be skeptical. The media's job should be asking how in the fuck this happened, why it happened, what's being done to rectify it, and pushing for explanations. The media's job is not to only inform people that it's being fixed, they can do that research themselves. There's mailing lists and Google. Use them.

They might try to fix it and it'll end up breaking more shit. It's happened before. And if they don't fix it I want my money back. Plain and simple. I wouldn't stand for buying a fucking toaster that doesn't work, so why should I stand for a 69 dollar game that is inherently broken?

I bought the game on PC and PS3 at launch. For very specific reasons I bought two games. One so I can play late at night on a laptop with headphones and the other so my wife and I could kick back on the couch and fuck around. Instead I have a 69 dollar paperweight. And I mean that literally. The game is holding down papers on my stationary desk. As of right now that's all it's good for.

And yes. I'm still pissed off.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#78  Edited By Phished0ne

I gave up on the ps3 version a long time ago and bought it on steam during the holiday sale. I just had to pray my computer was good enough to run it, and thankfully it is!

akumous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By akumous

Bethesda's incompetence and blatant disregard for the PS3 has impacted the PS3 version of the game significantly. PS3's Skyrim is a stigma in the gaming community and potential customers that have done their researched have stayed miles away from the game - this is going to hurt sale figures for the PS3 since all respectable gaming mediums have already labelled the PS3 version "technically" inferior.

Bethesda, fuck you.

ceno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By ceno

Too little, too fucking late.

It's bad enough that they've finally deigned to take a second glance at the PS3 version of the game, which I traded in after tiring of constantly restarting questlines and the game itself over and over again due to sheer unplayability.

But even my beloved Giant Bomb went cascading through logic loophole after logic loophole to basically tell a third of the people out there "sucks to be you". Awarding this game GOTY, regardless of the quality of the less fundamentally broken versions, is a shame and a disservice to the developers out there who put out fantastic, unbroken games on all the major platforms.

darth_furder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By darth_furder

What I'd like to see fixed is the No Stone Unturned quest. Did it on my first playthrough, and decided to collect them all on my second playthrough before getting one appraised. After getting them appraised, all 24 stay stacked, and the quest ticker says I have 24 of 24 stones, but won't check off the objective or open new dialogue with Vex.

Oh, and I just dealt with the lag that came up after hours of play. It was just a sign to me that I've been playing a little longer than I should. Can't neglect the family!

Arjuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Arjuna

My girlfriend, who has been playing the game more than I have, has started having some lag issues which, based on the many accounts I've been hearing, we can expect will get worse. Only after the Giantbomb GOTY comments about Skyrim, and my gf's lag issues, did I decide to find out what was going on and educate myself on all of these problems, visiting forums and websites, etc. I contacted my local EB Games(US Gamestop equivalent), and they told me they wouldn't be able to give me a refund, but suggested that I contact Bethesda themselves. That was to be my next step, hoping they would replace my PS3 version with a 360 or PC version. I haven't done this yet. Maybe I'll put it off in hopes that this patch will come out and fix our lag issues.

(My gf really hates the 360 controller, and prefers that I buy games for the PS3, this is the only reason I bought the PS3 version, FYI)

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Hairydutchman

I was really looking forward to this game, but with all the horror stories I'm not going to bother.

I'll just pop in Fallout 3 or Oblivion.

allenibrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By allenibrahim

I was defending the PS3 version with every fiber of my being, but this is just not enough. Every critic out there is handing out GotY awards for Skyrim while ignoring a THIRD of the users playing it (granted, the number isn't anywhere near exact, but you get my point). All I have is a PS3 and a decent gaming PC. The PS3 version has actually been running fine for me mostly, but all of my marathon sessions end with either unplayable framerate or hard system crashes. I'm pretty sure I still don't have magic resistances either, but I use arrows and stealth, so I don't notice. Still, I'm glad this is coming...

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Theyre never going to fix this....

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By konig_kei

Yeah, i sold my ps3 copy of Skyrim. Too little too late.

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#87  Edited By Cathryn

I already traded in my PS3 copy and picked up Driver: San Francisco when it was on sale post-xmas. Will probably ask for the 360 version for my birthday so I can finally play that game the way I want to. Pretty happy with my decision to not keep the PS3 version since I don't have all that much confidence in Bethesda being capable of totally fixing the problems I was having.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#88  Edited By ProfessorEss

As a staunch Bethesda apologist (yeah, I use that whole "scope" argument every time too) I gotta say this really is a real shitfuck (sorry, I've been playing Bulletstorm lately) and I don't imagine there's a whole lot of confidence surrounding this news.

@allenibrahim said:

Every critic out there is handing out GotY awards for Skyrim while ignoring a THIRD of the users playing it

As an aside I'm just curious, where do you stand on exclusives winning GotY awards? Would you say it's fine if the developer just flat out doesn't even bother with 2/3s of the core gaming population? If Bethesda decided to stop making PS3 versions altogether would that put them back into the running? Not even trying is greater than trying and failing?
    krabboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By krabboss

@Sweetz: The problem is made even worse by the fact that the RAM isn't shared. The 360 has only 512MB to work with too, but at least it can be assigned to the system and the graphics card dynamically.

Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#90  Edited By Daroki

@snap said:

What's worrying me is that Bethesda simply gets away with putting out a broken product. No one is willing to ask the tough questions, and there won't be any consequences for Bethesda.

I did the only thing that I could have done given the past history of Bethesda games on the PS3. I keep coming up with the $60 to give them, and I keep deciding to give it to people like From Software, Naughty Dog, and Volition instead.

nodachie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#91  Edited By nodachie

Honestly,

I never experienced the major problems some people have had. Not sure why my PS3 has been okay. I have even got all the trophies for the game, no prob.

Look forward to the patch and nothing will ever stop me looking forward to the next Bethesda game.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#92  Edited By Matfei90
    @Sweetz said:

I can't fathom the difficulties they've had trying to shoehorn a game with the complexity of Skyrim into 512MB of memory.

256MB. 360 has 512MB available and these problems aren't present. It's the split memory of the PS3 that's the issue.
    SOLO323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By SOLO323

Elder Scrolls was always a PC & XBOX game i always have problems with the PS3 versions

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#94  Edited By VisariLoyalist

I actually think it's already mostly addressed the issues I had. The framerate has been much improved since launch, I've never actually had a full crash all though I have had a few temporary freezes. The one issue is that the loading times are kind of insane once you get up to a 10 MB save file. I'm playing on a fairly new slim ps3 with a large 500 gb harddrive with plenty of buffer; I don't know if relatively painless experience is at all common.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I can't wait to see what kind of shit fucks people up with this new patch.

But I bought it on 360, so it's still game of the year.

skelington_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By skelington_

This whole lag issue has got to be on a console-by-console basis. I have some frame-rate dips, but that's my worst complaint. No crashes or freezes. Granted i'm only at 48hrs/4.5mb, but i guess i'm feeling quite privileged to not have encountered any major difficulties - it's GOTY of the year for me, PS3 inclusive.

renachan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#97  Edited By renachan

@Arjuna: Something to think about is you could use your PS3 controller with PC by using something like MotioninJoy. I went for that with Bastion for example, because I don't have a 360 and would rather make use of the controller I already have. Just let the game think I'm on a 360 from the settings, and it's worked pretty well once I got over the slight learning curve of what is mapped to what.

@PulledaBrad said:

How the GB guys can award this game GOTY and it being horribly broken for an entire system yet tossing MK out the window because its multiplayer was busted for a bit seems kinda contrairian to me. I mean I dont think MK should have gotten GOTY, but buty that criteria, Skyrim shouldnt have gotten the top nod.

A better comparison is how they disqualified Bayonetta for this exact same reason. That was more or less broken on a system, and GB wouldn't look at it for GOTY. Skyrim does the same, and that's okay because it's Bethesda

Avatar image for deactivated-653d2db498d3a
    deactivated-653d2db498d3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just afraid this is going to be too little too late.

Avatar image for everydayodyssey
    EverydayOdyssey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#99  Edited By EverydayOdyssey

Because of its issues, I choose not to buy Skyrim. When it is all said and done, I'll likely just buy the GOTY version whenever that comes out. I just this is all sorted out by then.

BoneChompski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By BoneChompski

I hope they fix it so you can't get quest items stuck in the inventory. On my last few characters I won't even pick up Finn's Lute or Pantea's Flute. Messes up my carry weight.

A tip - don't pick up an Elder Scroll until you need one. I had 20 pounds of dead weight from level 15 on my last character.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.