Skywind the maybe most ambitious fan mod ever created.

• 67 results
#51 Posted by SlashDance (1803 posts) -

I don't know... Morrowind already exists and mods can already make it look great. This thing sounds a little bit pointless, but hey who am I to judge, it still looks really impressive.

#52 Posted by fisk0 (3849 posts) -

@fisk0 said:

@ch3burashka said:

@guesty_01 said:

@ch3burashka: Lol, please don't mistake me for some naive 14 year old, mate. I completely realize, understand, and aprechiate the differences. But once again, it doesn't stop me from wishing it wasn't this way.

Gotta say, wishing for console mods seems like a waste of wishing time.

@ch3burashka said:

@guesty_01 said:

Looks fantastic. Wish mods were a thing on console haha. Oh how I can't wait for TES6.

PC master race and all that. Honestly, at this point, it's abundantly clear what the modding/DLC/patching situation is on consoles vs. PC. If you want the benefits of variety, invest in a PC. Otherwise, well...

I guess you never played Unreal Tournament III on PS3, because it had mod support. I think the issue is mostly that few developers and/or publishers embrace the mod community these days, and are enthusiastic enough about it to convince the platform owners it has to be done.

Oh right, UT3, one game from 2007. That's a trend, I think.

I think that is evidence that it is possible if somebody bothers with implementing it. For the most part, games these days, even on PC, seem to be moving away from mod support.

#53 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@fisk0: The biggest problem is that console games have to function and if a game crashes which happens a lot with mods it becomes useless. Also it is already optimized like hell to run on these specs if you ad stuff it will just suffer or not even work anymore on consoles. The stuff in Unreal was very minor stuff to begin with. Just some tweaks and levels nothing really big´you could do with it., Also I do not think that mod support goes away. The Steam Workshop for example shows you the opposite.

#54 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

People really can't let go of Morrowind

Probably because both of the sequels are the epitome of games being dumbed down for mass appeal.

#55 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

70+ developer team? Damn I hope they finish the mod before passing away.

#56 Posted by Brodehouse (9581 posts) -

My Ambitious Mod Project, or How I Learned To Quit Halfway When I Got A Real Job.

#57 Edited by ripelivejam (3528 posts) -

@sooty said:

70+ developer team? Damn I hope they finish the mod before passing away.

those cards won't punch themselves!

#58 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

The team just released another development video the other day. It's looking good.

#59 Edited by PimblyCharles (1314 posts) -

@shadowconqueror: Woah, that does look really good. I imagine a lot of those rock pillars embedded on the sides of mountains is going to make Skyrim Mt. climbing a bit more difficult...

#60 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

Well Morrowind certainly has the most interesting landscape of all the Elder Scrolls games, but as other people are saying without the gameplay elements that made Morrowind great, I don't think it's going to be a good time. Sure, they improved sword and bow combat, but they made magic and skills such a joke compared to Morrowind. I remember being able to create custom spells with ridiculous attributes, whatever happened to that?

#61 Posted by Karkarov (2980 posts) -

@mikkaq said:

Well Morrowind certainly has the most interesting landscape of all the Elder Scrolls games, but as other people are saying without the gameplay elements that made Morrowind great, I don't think it's going to be a good time. Sure, they improved sword and bow combat, but they made magic and skills such a joke compared to Morrowind. I remember being able to create custom spells with ridiculous attributes, whatever happened to that?

I think game balance happened to that dude.

#62 Posted by alanm26v5 (437 posts) -

It's probably a case where if you played Morrowind when it was current, nothing will be as good as that experience. If, like me, you came into the series at Skyrim, and got spoiled by the modernization that makes going back to those older games difficult, stuff like this is probably perfect. I did 99% of everything there was to do in Skyrim and it's DLCs, really wanted more, but never clicked with Morrowind or even Oblivion.

#63 Edited by Rowr (5476 posts) -

@pillclinton said:

@xyzygy said:

Does anyone know if the game will be using the same style of skill and leveling as Skyrim or as Morrowind? I really hope Morrowind's. Skyrim's skill and leveling systems were one of the two major reasons I cannot stand that game.

From the FAQ:

Q: In Skyrim, there is a really nice perk system with 18 separate skills. In Morrowind there are 27 different skills, with a class and attribute system. How do you plan on reconciling these differences?

A: We will use the Skyrim system as it is found in a vanilla copy of the game. To accomplish this we will simply merge those lost skills with the most applicable Skyrim ones. So items using short blade, long blade, blunt, axe, and spear will all be placed in the one handed and two handed Skyrim weapon categories, medium armors will be placed in the light and heavy armor categories, etc. If you really don't like the Skyrim system, then there are already mods restoring Morrowind attributes available on sites such as the Nexus that could be used in conjunction with Skywind.

NO LEVITATE. NO DEAL.

edit - Actually this looks pretty hot. I think Bethesda would be smart to get behind this. Hopefully it comes out before ES 6.

#64 Posted by freakin9 (1098 posts) -

I've never enjoyed a mod. My reaction is more of the... I can't believe there are people out there that spent so much time making this.

#65 Posted by dudeglove (7684 posts) -

#66 Posted by Rowr (5476 posts) -

@freakin9 said:

I've never enjoyed a mod. My reaction is more of the... I can't believe there are people out there that spent so much time making this.

@freakin9 said:

I've never enjoyed a mod.

@freakin9 said:

#67 Posted by John1912 (1827 posts) -

I know its not done, but that looks a little rough far as the graphics. Esp some of the character models. Or does vanilla Skyrim look that bad now? Still, seems really impressive! I never really got into Morrowind. It was just too slow all around. So an update with VO sounds perfect.

#68 Posted by SingingMenstrual (327 posts) -

@mikkaq said:

I only played Oblivion and Skyrim, so I'm not familiar with the Morrowind system, but I'm ONLY interested in playing this mod if the Morrowind system is possible.

In other words, I do not wanna play another Skyrim that is simply built with Morrowind assets and story/quests. I want the actual core of the character attributes and all those systems from Morrowind, because to me that is new and exciting. They sound old-school and much more complex, and I want that challenge.

If, like me, you came into the series at Skyrim, and got spoiled by the modernization that makes going back to those older games difficult, stuff like this is probably perfect. I did 99% of everything there was to do in Skyrim and it's DLCs, really wanted more, but never clicked with Morrowind or even Oblivion.

Interesting. It's the opposite case for me. My entire experience of playing video games for the past 17+ years has been playing a newer and more modern version of a game or a genre, then going back to the older one(s). Playing the simpler game actually helps me ease into the more difficult game.

Examples for me are Conviction before Chaos Theory, Blood Money before Hitman 2, Mass Effect 1&2 before older more complex RPG such as Neverwinter Nights 2 and Oblivion, Call of Duty 2 multiplayer before Battlefield 2, etc..

@rowr said:

@freakin9 said:

@freakin9 said:

@freakin9 said:

Has he ever enjoyed a mod?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.