Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

So, are people still opposed to a multiplayer Elder Scrolls?

• 152 results
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By FreakAche

This is something I was thinking about recently. I used to groan at the idea, whenever I saw it suggested in forums. The massive open world experience of Elder Scrolls just never seemed to lend itself well to multiplayer in my mind. However, in a world where Borderlands exists, and is quite awesome as a multiplayer game, I am willing to reconsider my opinion on this subject. I`m not saying it would have to be a numbered entry in the main series, I just think it could be interesting to have some sort of multiplayer game in the Elder Scrolls series. Does anyone else want to see this? What gameplay mechanics would they have to change to make it work?

bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By bioblood22

No, there are enough new online games, stop taking all the great series and trying to turn them into MMO junk. (Not saying you FreakAche) just those in general who want every and all games turned into online options. 

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
    SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

If they're going to do it, it should be a numbered game, and it should be a drop-in/drop-out co-op component similar to Fable (only good).

I'm not interested in playing ES with my bros, but it's an interesting concept.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By BaneFireLord

/slap 
    Stop saying such ridiculous nonsense and come to your senses, man!

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By FancySoapsMan

It wouldn't bother me as long as it didn't affect the single player.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Spoonman671

Nope.  Maybe a crafting system that incorporates an online marketplace similar to what Forza does with paintjobs, but I don't want to play Elder Scrolls with other people.  There are plenty of other games for that.

Dawglet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Dawglet

FIRMLY OPPOSED. 

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By beforet

You know, if they could make it work, then an Elder Scrolls style MMO could probably be amazing.

Though maybe MMO wouldn't be the way to go. The game worlds, as large as they are, wouldn't be enough to hold hundreds of people without getting crowded. So maybe servers for 20-50 players? I don't know; like I said it's all if they could get it to work.

Badhands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Badhands

Keep your multiplayer the fuck out of my Elder scrolls, if you did add it in any way at all MAYBE like an arena or something (like oblivion's just pvp). That's it though.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Zippedbinders

Borderlands works as a multiplayer game because its fundamentally Diablo: The FPS. The way that ES is set up doesn't lend itself well to co-op, there are rarely groups of enemies that would require a group to take on, or properly built gameplay environments. If its an MMO that would tickle one's fancy, what attachment does the ES series offer? Its not like the lore is super fabulous, you could go to one of the other generic fantasy MMOs available. I'm not against the idea of a ES experience, but why would anyone want it?

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TotalEklypse

I say the same thing about fallout. It wouldn't effect the single player, like all the wussies claim. Drop in drop out at least 2 player would be fine.  
    It'll happen with the next one I bet. Be it Fallout or ES they will take the plunge finally. Regardless if the loner single player people cry and pull out their hair, a hell of a lot more people like to play games with people.

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Twitchey

As Badhands said, an arena would be pretty cool.  You could spectate fights and bet. No dragon shouts though. 
    You could arrange fights for a certain time, or just join someone wanting to fight. To prevent boosting the fights should be random and you can not communicate with the other fighter until after the fight, no mics or chat rooms.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By sumbog

I dont enjoy playing games with other people, they bother me.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Red
    While I'm all for a good co-op RPG, I just can't see it working with the Elder Scrolls series, as the missions are less based on loot and killing as they are story and objectives.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By natetodamax

I'm happy with the Elder Scrolls series staying single player. Multiplayer doesn't need to be in everything.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By nintendoeats

Open world jank AND multiplayer jank?

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By beforet

You know, it wouldn't even need to have co-op multiplayer. The quests don't exactly lend themselves to group assignments. I'm just thinking about randomly running into a guy in the woods or a dungeon doing his own thing. Kind of like Journey, I guess. Only with 80% more griefing.

It would also be nice to show off the badass character you made without needing to post a screenshot on Tesnexus.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Skald

No. That'd probably be pretty cool.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be great to play with friends in an Elder Scrolls game. Pillaging towns, going on adventures and shit. I'm all for it. 

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @FreakAche said:
    This is something I was thinking about recently. I used to groan at the idea, whenever I saw it suggested in forums. The massive open world experience of Elder Scrolls just never seemed to lend itself well to multiplayer in my mind. However, in a world where Borderlands exists, and is quite awesome as a multiplayer game, I am willing to reconsider my opinion on this subject. I`m not saying it would have to be a numbered entry in the main series, I just think it could be interesting to have some sort of multiplayer game in the Elder Scrolls series. Does anyone else want to see this? What gameplay mechanics would they have to change to make it work?
    Well Borderlands is a completely different game than any Elder Scrolls game. And the RPG part in it isn't even close to what Elder Scrolls does. Borderlands shares a lot more with DIablo.

No, because Elder Scrolls are always centered around you as the sole player. They'd have to change the mechanics. Even then what exactly is so enticing about Elder Scrolls that would translate well into multiplayer? The combat is terrible, and it looks like it's just going to be serviceable....maybe even okay. PvP would be weird and bad, co-op would lack that punch and I doubt they could make something meaningful.

I'd be all for a Mercenary Company DLC or a mod in Skyrim where you can team up with people on certain missions though. That would be amazing and really well done I think. I don't think I'd enjoy a game from The Elder Scrolls based solely or built for multiplayer though. The things that make mutiplayer good are the exact opposite of what I like about Elder Scrolls and what they do well.

Just play Demon's Souls/Dark Souls, Borderlands, or Diablo 3.
    Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Quacktastic

When they can ship a single player game without a truck-load of bugs -- then they can add a multiplayer aspect.  They can't though, because of the scope of the games they make.  So if they were to add MP it would either break the game further or they would have to reduce scope.  Both of those options are way worse than the payoff.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By Kyreo

@nintendoeats said:

Open world jank AND multiplayer jank?

Sounds like a great time to me.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pezen

I've always wanted a very simple drop-in multiplayer sort of like how it's handled in Saint's Row. Basically both players are playing their own story but within the same game. I don't think it would ruin the game in any capacity really.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Quacktastic said:
    When they can ship a single player game without a truck-load of bugs -- then they can add a multiplayer aspect.  They can't though, because of the scope of the games they make.  So if they were to add MP it would either break the game further or they would have to reduce scope.  Both of those options are way worse than the payoff.
    Even if they did either of those they would also be missing a huge portion of time to fix the bugs that were already in the single-player. Let alone adding bugs from the MP inclusion.

It would be a fucking nightmare of exponentially compounded bugs.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CL60

Isn't there a multiplayer Oblivion mod?

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By MistaSparkle

The only sort of multiplayer I would be okay with is co op and even that is pushing it...

TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheChaos
    @Dawglet said:
    FIRMLY OPPOSED. 
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By Vinny_Says

Those games I enjoy the feeling of solitude, especially in Skyrim where I'll need to hike giant mountains to reach distant dungeons. That's something I want to do alone in a dark room. It would be cool if they had optional survival stuff ala Fallout New Vegas.

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29  Edited By StingingVelvet

I'm still quite opposed, yes. Co-op inherently changes the game, makes massive design changes. You mention Borderlands but think about that game... little story, bland missions, more about loot than exploration. That is not what I want from TES.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By emem

No, with one exception: I would like to be able to interact with people in cities, like.. put an auction house in there or something, but let the gameplay part still be singleplayer. I can see it being fun to travel to cities full of people who share stories and fight in arenas.. that would be great.

Edit: I love the way it is realised in Demon's Souls, that would also be fantastic.. without invasions though.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By coakroach

Sounds great if it was just put in to let you fuck around and break the game. 

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By valrog

Leave singleplayer games alone!!

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jetsetwillie

id like to see a multiplayer in skyrim for 2 reasons. 

first, ANYTHING that upsets or annoys the so call hardcore that thinks gaming belongs to them is great imo.  

and second i think playing it coop with my buddy would be great. 

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MeierTheRed

I wan't none of that multiplayer filth in my Elder Scroll.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @FreakAche: The fuck are you doing man, don't even think that. Elder Scrolls has always been a single player game, and anyone who's thinking of buying it knows this.
    A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By A Likely Story

No, I do not want multiplayer in my Elder Scrolls. 

I don't know why there's such an obsession with adding multiplayer to everything nowadays. Some games are meant to be single player.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#37  Edited By Hizang

There is no need for multiplayer in Skyrim, I hate when games like this get multiplayer when they clearly don't need it.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ProfessorEss

I like the feeling of solitude in these games but whatever, I'd be up for trying co-op. It'd be especially nice if it was the type of co-op where you could go off and do whatever you want and only come together when you need to. 

No one's played Skyrim, so I don't know anyone who can definitively say it would ruin anything. 

H4xlike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By H4xlike
    @Zippedbinders said:
    Borderlands works as a multiplayer game because its fundamentally Diablo: The FPS. The way that ES is set up doesn't lend itself well to co-op, there are rarely groups of enemies that would require a group to take on, or properly built gameplay environments. If its an MMO that would tickle one's fancy, what attachment does the ES series offer? Its not like the lore is super fabulous, you could go to one of the other generic fantasy MMOs available. I'm not against the idea of a ES experience, but why would anyone want it?
    That could be easily fixed by Bethesda.  They could just increase the number of enemies or difficulty of enemies when you're playing co-op.  However, it would feel tacked on and not worth playing since, like you said, the gameplay isn't designed to have 2 players fighting together. 
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40  Edited By Marz

Once they make a single player game out of all the provinces in the game, there's still like 4 of them left.   Then i wouldn't be opposed to some sort of MMO because by then it'll be like 2020.

TanoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TanoPrime

Opposed.  Because if you roll and take my epic awesome axe of bang your mom with its +5 stats to my mantosterone...a nerdrage so righteous and fierce shall fall upon thine head that the gods themselves shall look down upon your decimated form and say......"damn."
    sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By sameeeeam

No, I hate playing games with other people. Fighting games excepted, of course.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Dingofighter

How about Demon's Souls-style "indirect" multiplayer?

Leaving messages or maybe have some kind of marketplace where you can buy and sell stuff to other people.

Maybe even have some sidequests which change depending on other peoples games, in some way.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By emem

@MaFoLu: Oh wow, you almost copied what I wrote. ;)

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Dingofighter

@emem: Hah, great minds think alike?

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ghost_cat

I think their sole purpose is total immersion for the player, and turning the game into and MMO would kill it.

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ComradeKhan

PvP arena.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48  Edited By Evilsbane

No, as much as I want a New MMO that is good, No, leave my Elder Scrolls alone, games like this are supposed to be played in the dark ALONE while you suddenly realize you've been in this dark room with no food or bathroom breaks for weeks.

Avatar image for thefalconproduction
    TheFalconProduction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure this is strongly opposed by both most of the players and people at Bethesda Studios. But it would be a neat thing, you can have another person or even multiple people to free-play or explore dungeons and kill dragons and what not. It would be neat if that was added because I know alot of people who are interested in Elder Scrolls, so playing with them in this game would be fun, instead of hooking up multiple tv's and playing side by side.  

I think it would be alot like Fable 2 and 3's multiplayer, but it wouldnt be garbage. I'm not totally opposed to this, but I dont think Skyrim would be as fun if multiplayer support was added.
    sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By sreya92
    @FreakAche: Honestly I'd rather not see Elder Scrolls go the route of multiplayer. Enough series have done already done it and it almost always has turned out for the worst. Take Deadspace 2, the campaign is supposedly shorter and not as fun while at the same time the multiplayer isn't all that great nor will it be self sustainable for more than a year. On the other hand, were ES to stay single player (as it will),  it would deliver an even more enthralling game experience since--regardless of what PR reps say--multiplayer integration does take resources away from the crafting of the single player "campaign."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.