So why does it do this?

#1 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Right now I am using a steel sword. I just walked up to a body and found a exact same steel sword. Why does it say however +2 next to it even know the damage is the same? And how does a Hunters bow with 8 damage show up as 11 (+5) in the bottom? 

#2 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Bugs probably.

#3 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Hizang said:

Bugs probably.

Does it with every weapon. Am I missing something or is it really a bug? Does not do it for armour. 
#4 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

I don't know for sure, but if it is not bugs possibly each weapon has a unique stat like Borderlands?

Its either bugs or individual weapons.

#5 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Hizang said:

I don't know for sure, but if it is not bugs possibly each weapon has a unique stat like Borderlands?

Its either bugs or individual weapons.

OO! I get it. Ok. The bow is also taking into account the arrow damage.  

The 11 Is my current damage. Ok..not fully sure whats up. But I can see it now. 
#6 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man: Then it is a bug.

#7 Posted by JP_Russell (1171 posts) -

What is your current archery skill level? Perhaps it has something to do with your skill level and how it affects the actual damage of the bow.

#8 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@JP_Russell said:

What is your current archery skill level? Perhaps it has something to do with your skill level and how it affects the actual damage of the bow.

No its adding both the arrow damage and the bow damage. I had 11 sword damage. The bow did 8 damage.  

So it said (+5) I also had arrows that did 8 damage. So 8+8 is 16 which is the bow and arrow damage. 

But the issue still stands with the sword. 
#9 Posted by TomShreds (45 posts) -

I've encountered some little bugs about this as well. Sometimes I get armor without any modifier (green + numbers) and then in my Inventory there are modifiers on those saying that they are better. I guess it's a bug...

#10 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Wonder if they are aware of it. 

#11 Posted by Inkerman (1449 posts) -

If it isn't a bug, then maybe your skill is having an effect, or the durability of the sword (did they include durability in Skyrim?)

#12 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

I haven't played enough of Skyrim to know if weapons can degrade, maybe this is it?

#13 Posted by DrBendo (240 posts) -

Where does it say "+2"? The quick-select, the inventory, or elsewhere?

I noticed a similar oddity with the steel dagger in my quick-select menu. For a few hours, it was displayed as "2. Steel Dagger"; both before and after these hours (with no specific changes I can narrow down), it says simply "Steel Dagger". Anyone know why this is?

#14 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@DrBendo said:

I noticed a similar oddity with the steel dagger in my quick-select menu. For a few hours, it was displayed as "2. Steel Dagger"; both before and after these hours (with no specific changes I can narrow down), it says simply "Steel Dagger". Anyone know why this is?

It shows it when I am picking up stuff. 

Anyone able to say anything about this? Some how my steel sword went from 11 damage to 13. Anyone know whats up? 
#15 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man: I think it's the 20/40/60/80/100% damage? perk that does it.

#16 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

@DrBendo said:

If it said "2. Steel Dagger" that means you pressed 2 when hovering over it in the quick select menu, and hotkeyed it to 2 (so you could have pressed 2 to equip it). You must have then unbound it to 2 somehow.

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@DrBendo said:

It shows it when I am picking up stuff. Anyone able to say anything about this? Some how my steel sword went from 11 damage to 13. Anyone know whats up?

The only thing I can think of is bonuses from items and jewelry. I have gloves that give me 25% more damage with 2Hers and a necklace that gives me 15% damage with 2Hers and sometimes in certain menus it will show a lower stat + the damage from bonuses, while other times it just shows the total damage.

#17 Posted by AndyD74 (169 posts) -

I thought it was showing how many you had, like if you had four of the same bow, it would show +4 next to that bow since you had four of them.

#18 Posted by GJSmitty (651 posts) -

You can sharpen the sword to make it better, maybe that sword is sharpened

You can also improve Bows at blacksmiths. As far as i know, weapon damage goes down over time

#19 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@grant742 said:

You can also improve Bows at blacksmiths. As far as i know, weapon damage goes down over time

I have not shapered it.  

@AndyD74 said:

I thought it was showing how many you had, like if you had four of the same bow, it would show +4 next to that bow since you had four of them.

It shows up when I am looting. Like it wants to say hey this does more damage. 

Also it does that some times when I compare a steel sword to a ancient nordic one (both do the same damage) 

Some how out of no where both of them gained 2 extra damage. But that might be from me skilling in them  

Ok like now. I am looking at a steel war axe. it says 

Damage 15 Weight 12 value 55 

Below that it says 

Damage 13 (+6) Carry weight 192/310 Gold 1730 And then my health bar. 
#20 Posted by Spartacus714 (14 posts) -

@DrPockets000 said:

I haven't played enough of Skyrim to know if weapons can degrade, maybe this is it?

Nope, they got rid of weapon and armor degradation. Thank God.

#21 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@grant742 said:

I have not shapered it.

@AndyD74 said:

It shows up when I am looting. Like it wants to say hey this does more damage. Also it does that some times when I compare a steel sword to a ancient nordic one (both do the same damage) Some how out of no where both of them gained 2 extra damage. But that might be from me skilling in them Ok like now. I am looking at a steel war axe. it says Damage 15 Weight 12 value 55 Below that it says Damage 13 (+6) Carry weight 192/310 Gold 1730 And then my health bar.

Oh, that's just the damage you're getting from one handed specialization I believe. The one on the bottom is your sword's damage + damage you are receiving from the skill points that boost its damage.

#22 Posted by Punk1984 (549 posts) -

@thehexeditor said:

What this guy said and the green + and red - numbers are a quick guide to weather or not it is better than your currently equipped weapon. So even though the steel sword is the same as your other steel sword it only matters what you have equipped then (i.e. your bow)

#23 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Punk1984 said:

@thehexeditor said:

What this guy said and the green + and red - numbers are a quick guide to weather or not it is better than your currently equipped weapon. So even though the steel sword is the same as your other steel sword it only matters what you have equipped then (i.e. your bow)

It does it even when I have a weapon of the exact same damage.  

@xobballox said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@grant742 said:

I have not shapered it.

@AndyD74

said:

It shows up when I am looting. Like it wants to say hey this does more damage. Also it does that some times when I compare a steel sword to a ancient nordic one (both do the same damage) Some how out of no where both of them gained 2 extra damage. But that might be from me skilling in them Ok like now. I am looking at a steel war axe. it says Damage 15 Weight 12 value 55 Below that it says Damage 13 (+6) Carry weight 192/310 Gold 1730 And then my health bar.

Oh, that's just the damage you're getting from one handed specialization I believe. The one on the bottom if your sword's damage + damage you are receiving from the skill points that boost its damage.

Then why is it doing it for this axe?  

And what is with the little up arrows next to some items? 
#24 Posted by DrBendo (240 posts) -

@xobballox:

I suppose it must have been a bug, as I'm playing on the 360.

#25 Posted by Punk1984 (549 posts) -

It might be comparing the base value of the damage or the net value of the damage after bonuses. Or it could be a bug, you're really spending way too much time worrying about it.

#26 Posted by Lukeweizer (2607 posts) -

I've noticed that my weapon stats actually drop as well. I'll have an Axe that does 18 damage or something, then it'll drop to 14. I think it's due to deceases and poisons I contract?

#27 Posted by Punk1984 (549 posts) -

@Lukeweizer said:

I've noticed that my weapon stats actually drop as well. I'll have an Axe that does 18 damage or something, then it'll drop to 14. I think it's due to deceases and poisons I contract?

Also be aware that some items will lose their magical charges and this can effect its stats.

#28 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

I was gonna post on their offical forums. But they are so fucked I cant even log in. 

#29 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Anyone got any ideas what this might be? Or just a bug? 

#30 Posted by Polydeukes (98 posts) -

It's just a bug. Annoys me heaps. The "damage" stat on a weapon includes any perk modifiers, by the way. So you really just have to remember what damage your equipped weapon is so you can compare it to loot.

#31 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

If you don't have the weapon currently equipped, as in you're using magic, it will tell you its better.

#32 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Polydeukes said:
It's just a bug. Annoys me heaps. The "damage" stat on a weapon includes any perk modifiers, by the way. So you really just have to remember what damage your equipped weapon is so you can compare it to loot.
Ok thanks. So I do juts gotta remember it...any any modifiers.  

Hopefully they will fix it. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.