Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

The Infernal City: The Book

lucianotassis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By lucianotassis

The release of the second book in the Elder Scrolls franchise - called "Lord of Souls" by Greg Keyes - is imminent, so I was wondering: do you guys have read the first book, "The Infernal City"? If so, what did you think about the book? Did you like it?

Here's a brief description copied from Amazon, to the people who didn't read it yet:

"Four decades after the Oblivion Crisis, Tamriel is threatened anew by an ancient and all-consuming evil. It is Umbriel, a floating city that casts a terrifying shadow–for wherever it falls, people die and rise again. And it is in Umbriel’s shadow that a great adventure begins, and a group of unlikely heroes meet. A legendary prince with a secret. A spy on the trail of a vast conspiracy. A mage obsessed with his desire for revenge. And Annaig, a young girl in whose hands the fate of Tamriel may rest . . . Based on the award-winning The Elder Scrolls, The Infernal City is the first of two exhilarating novels following events that continue the story from The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, named 2006 Game of the Year."

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Twitchey

Damn. I didn't know they had books. I might have to read this sometime this year even though I'm two books behind on my list. 

Is it worth reading? The description sounds like it is.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Bwast

Sounds pretty generic. Then again, TES is fairly generic. I have a pretty harsh bias when it comes to video game books but I might check these out, maybe there will even be references to them in Skyrim.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

From what I have heard, the book was pretty bad.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I read the first one, The Infernal City. It is dreadful. I mean, most books based on videogames/movies are bad, but this one is particularly shite. It suffers from poor writing, a dull plot, and characters that you just don't care about.

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Twitchey
    @GunslingerPanda: That's one less book I have to read now.
    Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Maystack

I actually bought it a few days ago, so that I could fill the gap between now and november. The only other video game books that I've read are the Guild Wars ones, and I enjoyed both of them. On the first page of this book though, something just didn't feel right. It might have been that he used a kitten as a metaphor, or the fact that none of the characters are properly introduced I dunno. I'll still probably finish it though >.>

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Stahlbrand

Didn't really dig The Infernal City. It had like two good moments in it, and the rest was as GunslingerPanda described. Also, the majority of the book's events occur on this floating island thing with warring kitchens making foods out of gas - all knew crap made up wholecloth, not working with lore at all, let alone in an interesting way.

That said, I'll probably get the second one. In for a penny, in for a pound, and you could read it in your spare time and still finish it in two or three days (I'm sure a motivated individual could have read the first one in an epic single sitting).

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lazyimperial

I liked it, but I also got it for just the right price. The Borders store here was going out of business, so every item was between 50 to 75% off. As such, The Infernal City went from 15 dollars to a delightful 3.75 bucks. At that price, I didn't mind that it was only 278 pages or so long with pretty large font size and numerous typos that really shouldn't have made it past an editor.  I mean, there weren't any typos as bad as in Robert Jordan's Eye of the World, in which an entire six page scene repeats itself verbatim within the span of 100 pages, but they're cruddy enough to start pulling you out of the story if you can't suppress your inner-critic. 

Those flaws aside, I'm an Elder Scrolls fan and I enjoyed getting to see the world of Tamriel again. The details about  Blackmarsh were intriguing, the Khajit characters made me like the race for the first time since Maiq, and I did enjoy the descriptions of The Infernal City. I also enjoyed the characters, who no doubt will factor into Skyrim as well in some fashion or the other.  They had appealing personalities, and I  actually found myself really caring about what horrible fate would befall them.

That having been said, they're also not very well developed. The novel has 278 pages of large font-size text to focus on the following three storylines (which I'm describing vaguely to avoid spoilers): 

1. Annaig and Glim, two people from a port-town in southern Blackmarsh who end up getting stuck on the Infernal City and struggle to survive in the dreaded Kitchen Wars. 

2. Prince Attrebus, who goes on a quest to save Annaig and stop the Infernal  City. He's joined by Sul, an ancient Dunmer battlemage, who has his own reasons for helping.  

3. Colin, an Imperial "secret agent" kind of fellow who is trying to root out the corruption in The Empire before it is too late. 

Keep in mind that Annaig and Glim both spend a good amount of time getting their own dedicated individual sections. Meanwhile, Sul and Prince Attrebus are on an epic quest and Colin is really busy snooping away. In other words, there are too many plots going on for 278 pages! No one gets enough attention, with Colin being particularly shorthanded; he pops up every 80 pages, mumbles about a conspiracy, and then vanishes again right when you're interested.  

So... yeah. I'm sounding really negative about the book, aren't I? I don't mean to, but I think people should know the flaws going in. If they're Elder Scrolls fans, they'll probably like it. It's a way to get their fix in before Skyrim, and it'll let them know what the heck is going on in the game lore. If they're not fans though, I'm not sure. If they can get it cheap, it's more than worth the read. For 15 dollars though, I think they'd be better served buying Bastion or going to half-price book stores and purchasing a few used fantasy novels there. Hopefully the sequel is longer with better developed plots, actual resolutions, and improved editing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read it and enjoyed it. It's sort of like Spirited Away if it were set in Tamriel. 

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By BaneFireLord

TES is my favorite video game series ever, but I have zero interest in these books. Lore is not the series' strong suit.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Does it end with a "Those are truly old scrolls"?

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By JP_Russell

@GunslingerPanda said:

I read the first one, The Infernal City. It is dreadful. I mean, most books based on videogames/movies are bad, but this one is particularly shite. It suffers from poor writing, a dull plot, and characters that you just don't care about.

AN ELDER SCROLLS BOOK WITH POOR WRITING HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE??
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Hizang

Just do not inform Vinny.

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Moonshadow101
    Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Storms

I liked them well enough, and they had strong ties to TES lore (incorporating Umbra, the Shivering Isles and the floating rock above Vivec City and melding them all together) and the "feel" of the games (by incorporating alchemy, among other things). I think the sequel will largely be a story abou the fall of the empire. Definitely looking forward to it. Maybe I'll get it for cheap at our closing Borders as well.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By august

Really bad things happen to Morrowind which makes me :(

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @Mr_Skeleton

Does it end with a "Those are truly old scrolls"?

Ahahahaha
    Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Stahlbrand

Frankly I enjoyed many of the short stories in the game more than the book. I hope Skyrim has books as good or better than Oblivion.

ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By ClaritySam

I thought The Infernal City wasn't too badly written, especially considering most video game related fiction is awful.  I'd probably give it 6/10.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.