Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

The Top Five Features of Skyrim

ypod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ypod

The excruciating wait is finally over. It's been more than five long years since The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was released, but this week we get to unbox its successor, Skyrim. I don't want to fan the flames of the hype fire too much, but here are five of the top features that Skyrim will be bringing to the table this Friday.

5. Overhauled Menu System

I know what you're thinking right now, "How are menus a feature? They're the most boring part of games!" This may be true for a majority of titles, but it's hardly the case for RPGs. Game menus are critical for a vast amount of role playing functions - checking quest progress, switching between weapons, investing skill points and managing your inventory. A hardcore Elder Scrolls player will probably spend the same amount of time in the menus and the game world, so it's a good thing they're getting a major update.

Every aspect of the interface in Skyrim has been improved over its predecessors. Gone is Oblivion's book metaphor; instead Skyrim takes a very clean and minimalist approach to displaying information. The main menu is a simple compass design divided into four segments - Skills, Magic, Items and Map. For starters, the skills menu is really something else. Anyone who has played The Elder Scrolls series should be familiar with astrological signs making an impact on your character. This menu takes this concept to a new level, with special skills being made available by swooping between individual stars of a constellation. The effect is gorgeous and stunning.

Fire up the BBQ. I'm havin' salmon tonight!

The inventory for items and spells is equally appealing. Every single item in the game has a hi-res 3D model that you can view and rotate from within the inventory menus. At this year's PAX, we saw that even the depictions of salmon and horker meat are deliciously realistic. Any book that you pick up can be leafed through using a slick 3D page turning animation. There are even in-world puzzles requiring clues that can only be obtained by carefully examining artifacts inside of your inventory. The map view may be the most impressive part of the menus. The world of Skyrim isn't presented as a boring piece of paper. It instead is a highly detailed 3D topographical map that showcases all of the province's smallest crags and gullies. It's also notable how fast the interface is. It is highly responsive, and there's hardly any wait at all between switching menus and loading item previews.

4. It Fits on One Disc

Due to the the availability of Blu-Ray discs and digital downloads, this probably isn't an issue on the PS3 and PC platforms. On the Xbox 360, however, it's a big pain having to get up and change discs halfway through your gaming experience. It completely destroys immersion, which is very important in the rich world of Tamriel. Luckily, Bethesda has found a way to cram their massive game on to the 8.5 GB of an Xbox 360 game DVD (slightly less due to formatting and DRM). With some RPGs using up to four discs, having just one is a sizeable achievement.

One game disc to rule them all...

On the most recent episode of the Major Nelson podcast, Todd Howard (Game Director at Bethesda) explained some of the changes in Skyrim that allowed for this technical feat. In order to save some space, procedural generation has been used, but less than you'd actually think. It was used to map out much of the environment in Oblivion but Bethesda decided that they could do a better job themselves. Only the most mundane things have been left to automatic processes, like where grass grows, where snow collects on objects and where insects live. The main reason that they were able to fit so much content onto one disc is the redesigned game engine. Because it can draw so many more objects on screen simultaneously, they needed a way to quickly stream graphical content off of the game disc. To accomplish this, they needed to push their data compression to maximum efficiency. The side benefit of this was a much smaller game. Skyrim is a bigger game than Oblivion, has 50% more dialogue (60,000 lines!), and yet they still had extra space left on the disc at the end of development.

3. A Working World

Bethesda is constantly making adjustments to their games to make them feel more real and "lived-in". This time around, one of the additions is a system of professions in Skyrim. Compared to the lazy men and women of Cyrodiil, the Nords of Skyrim are very industrious. Rather than just standing around, NPCs will be engaged in the tasks of everyday life, like cutting wood or blacksmithing.

Just another day at the town lumber mill.

The Elder Scrolls V even lets the player take part in the world's economy. You can let an economy flourish or doom it to failure based on the tasks and quests you accomplish. A wide variety of activities for the player are available, such as cooking, hunting, fishing and alchemy.

2. It's So Beautiful...

Oblivion was on the cutting edge of graphics when it was released in 2006, but it's not turning any heads today. I remember being so stunned by the beauty of Cyrodiil that I literally paused outside of Imperial City to watch an entire sunrise. As Bethesda proved in Fallout 3, they can bring exquisite artistry to even the bleakest landscape. Although Skyrim's snow covered vistas are a little dull and gray, the artists have brought it to life in a fantastic way. During the small piece of gameplay I experienced at PAX, I was very impressed with the graphical changes. The flowing water of the creeks is as realistic as any other game on the market. The way sunlight bathes the ice veiled evergreens brings a level of realism that not many games can match.

If only Skyrim was as beautiful as it is fun. Oh wait, it is.

Although they're not quite up to par with the best in the industry, Skyrim's new facial animations are nothing to shake a stick at. They're not as repulsive and ugly as those found in previous entries in the franchise. Gone is the frustrating "face-zooming" animation. Conversations take place within the regular game world, and characters move and act naturally as they converse with you.

1. ALL THE DRAGONS!

That's right folks. According to Jeff Cannata of Weekend Confirmed and The Totally Rad Show, Skyrim has "ALL THE DRAGONS!" Technically, he is completely correct. The main story of the game revolves around the return of dragons to the world of Tamriel. However, you aren't travelling to a specific cave to slay a single dragon à la Smaug in The Hobbit. The dragons of Tamriel are simply a race of creatures, and as a result are very random and dynamic. The encounters with dragons are unscripted, and can occur at any time, in any location. At a gameplay demo at PAX, I witnessed bouts with dragons take place upon high peaks as well as flat tundra. Throughout exploring the game, you will always be able to find more dragons to slay, so the "All the Dragons" claim is the truth.

Skyrim has all the dragons. This is one of them.

Fighting the dragons of Skyrim looks like it's going to be a very engaging and thrilling experience. They have been programmed to use each of their strengths as deadly tools of destruction. The dragons do everything in their power to destroy you, whether that means tossing you into the air with their massive talons, or burning you to a crisp. Visually, the dragons are equally terrifying. Not only are they large enough to crush you, the fire emerging from their gaping maws looks real enough to burn away your eyebrows.

The only thing more bad-ass than fighting a dragon in Skyrim is defeating one. Immediately after victory, you proceed to absorb the dragon's soul. Besides looking really awesome, this grants you the ability to use devastatingly powerfuldragon shouts. These wonderful pieces of magic can hurl your enemies off cliffs or fry them like chickens. I cannot wait to gain major geek cred by memorizing all of them.

Thanks for reading! What's your favorite feature of Skyrim? Sound off below! If you have some extra time, check out my 7 Reasons to Attend a Skyrim Midnight Launch.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Cloudenvy

I think a lot of people would probably argue that Skyrim is not very pretty in a lot of categories.

Hell, I'd probably argue that Skyrim looks bad in some departments, animations specifically.

DaemonBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By DaemonBlack

@Cloudenvy said:

I think a lot of people would probably argue that Skyrim is not very pretty in a lot of categories.

Hell, I'd probably argue that Skyrim looks bad in some departments, animations specifically.

I think a lot of people would say they don't give a fuck.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Cloudenvy

@DaemonBlack said:

@Cloudenvy said:

I think a lot of people would say they don't give a fuck.

That's totally fine, but some people do. : )

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Fear_the_Booboo

@Cloudenvy: I think it's a little harsh to call it bad looking and I do think people expects too much. It's normal that some textures and some animations don't look that good, but when you look at the entire thing, it looks great.

It looks better than the sum of it parts. The overall look is great. It's not the best but it is surely good looking.

Also, the art is, in my opinion, a huge step up from oblivion.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Fear_the_Booboo: But for a game that leans so heavily on having an immersive world, it can be absolutely ruining for some people to stumble into janky animations like that.

Not saying that it's like that for me. : )

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By EdIsCool

@Cloudenvy: Until the PC version is out, I'm holding out a lot of hope.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cloudenvy

@EdIsCool:

True! I've personally seen nothing of the PC version. : (

Avatar image for deactivated-5c69b4d231869
    deactivated-5c69b4d231869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Biggest fear. Gaffed PC port.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BlatantNinja23

Dude there's infinite dragons..... INFINITE DRAGONS!!!!

ZOMGOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By ZOMGOL

The animations I've seen so far have been a bit of a mixed bag, not too bothered though.

My one wish would have been more difference in the weight behind strikes. I can accept that striking someone with a sword mightn't knock them back much, but when your killing blow falls and they suddenly become the weight of a feather and flail across the room, that majorly screws with my suspension of disbelief.

I also saw gameplay footage of two NPC's in a fist fight, and the blows that drew blood were very consistently about a foot away from the opponent. It looked plain weird.

That being said, it looks like Bethesda have done a great job listening to what gamers wanted in Elder Scrolls V.

ypod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ypod

@ZOMGOL said:

That being said, it looks like Bethesda have done a great job listening to what gamers wanted in Elder Scrolls V.

I think it may just be too massive of a game/universe for them to fix every shortcoming in just one iteration of the series. Can't wait for Elder Scrolls VI and VII!

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By jaycrockett

Realistic horker meat. Finally.

ypod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ypod

@jaycrockett: No other game has ever made me more hungry. Not even Cooking Mama.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.