This game is so unstable...

#1 Edited by Kenobi (373 posts) -

I don't quite understand how this got so many passes when New Vegas got bombed for the same crap. But after the last few patchs, the glitch of mammoths launching into the air, glitching in corners. Crashes a couple times a day in a 4 hour average play time. Totally broken AI... etc. The seems to be absoluted no polish in this game. Does anyone feel this way or do I just have shit luck? Are there custom patches somewhere

I came straight to the forum from my last crash so I'm kinda livid.

#2 Posted by Xolare (1281 posts) -

You just suck.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

PC version, right?

#4 Posted by Purpz (81 posts) -

Yeah I had a few of these problems back on release, but it must've been three days until it was fixed. Never really had problems since then. If you're using PC then it could be a hardware/software issue.

#5 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

I think I only ever had two or three glitches playing Skyrim. I've logged over 200 hours, so either I'm lucky, or just highly unobservant.

#6 Posted by Zelyre (1175 posts) -

If you're on the PC, you might want to look into BOSS. Funky ESM and ESP load orders can make the game very unstable. BOSS attempts to put your ESM/ESP files in a load order where overriding content doesn't screw up other content.

#7 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Is there something wrong with your PC by chance? My 300+ hours of Skyrim were almost entirely crash free.

#8 Posted by Stonyman65 (2681 posts) -

Welcome to Obsidian games. Have fun.

#9 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@Stonyman65 said:

Skyrim is 100% Bethesda
#10 Posted by LtColJaxson (1137 posts) -

If you're playing on PC there is the Steam workshop which has mods such as making the day/night cycle in real time. I've put 152 hours into Skyrim, and with some basic mods (realistic lighting, high-res texture pack etc) the game is great. I didn't see many glitches during the playtime that influenced the gameplay too much - just some hilarious minor bugs that are understandable considering the scope of the game.

#11 Edited by believer258 (11814 posts) -

On what system?

I have had almost no problems on the 360 version. Then again, I had almost none with Oblivion, Fallout 3, or New Vegas, so maybe I'm just lucky. Or maybe

@Xolare said:

You just suck.

#12 Edited by EXTomar (4687 posts) -

Skyrim is by far the most stable game Bethesda has released that I can ever remember. No missing or uncompleted major quests. No crashes. No save game corruption. Of course there were bugs in the game. And of course by each subsequent patches it actually got more unstable....

So that is your answer: The reason why reviewers and players "gave it a pass" was that the pristine, out of the box first release was fine.

#13 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Skyrim worked a hell of a lot better for me that New Vegas. My favorite part of New Vegas is when my save file magically vanished 3 times.

#14 Posted by Stonyman65 (2681 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

@Stonyman65 said:

Skyrim is 100% Bethesda

Right. Either one. They both make messed up games.

#15 Posted by AlisterCat (5537 posts) -

Using any texture mods?

#16 Posted by The_Tolman (432 posts) -

Im at over 100+ hours of play time with only two freezes and almost no glitches. The few that I've had only make the game better.

#17 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Nah really?

#18 Posted by DillonWerner (1526 posts) -

I only had a few problems on release but since then I haven't had any problems in my 100+ hours.

#19 Posted by Grambo (21 posts) -

Not sure if it matters, but I play on the Xbox 360. I haven't had hardly any problems. Especially any that ultimately take away from the amazing game play and experience.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.