this is my first elder scrolls game. i've been playing for 4 hours and i don't understand how this is such a great game and maybe i'm missing something, but i'm going to list some stuff that is driving me nuts, what am i doing wrong?
1. i spent like 20 minutes customizing my face with cool warpaint and all and now i can't even figure out how to look at my guy in the game. do i ever actually get to see my character again?
2. the combat feels really shoddy and unresponsive. i feel like i'm swinging at thin air and i can't even tell if i'm hitting my target unless i look at their health bar because there doesn't seem to be any response from the enemies. they just stand there and take hits until the bar runs out. also, i can't figure out how far away i have to be from the enemy to not get hit and there doesn't seem to be any dodging mechanic or anything like that. i feel like i'm playing dead island again and that is NOT good.
3. the first dragon i saw in dark souls on the bridge, it was like "holy shit that thing is epic" and it lit me on fire and i was dead. the first dragon i saw in skyrim blew open a wall in that tower. so i stood there and looked at and it breathed fire on me and i didn't even take any damage and i was like "really am i supposed to be intimidated?" and it just seemed really puny compared to that big scary dragon in the commercial.
4. did the executioner really moonwalk over to his victim? that's the first freaking scene! did they test this game and say "oh moonwalking is cool we don't need to fix that" is this 2011? have we not discovered walking animations yet?
5. whenever i open a menu, i find myself mashing buttons because there seems to be a 2 second delay between opening a menu and the game actually accepting input and letting me scroll or choose a menu item.
i don't even know if i want to continue playing this game. the combat is just SO unresponsive and boring and loose. i just stand in front of the bad guy and mash RT until it dies. i don't understand why bethesda thought this was acceptable or how people are saying this is GOTY material. why didn't they just have a turn based random encounter system if they clearly didn't try to make a high quality combat system? i'm not even interested in the story if the combat is this horrible. i could forgive every other flaw i listed if the combat was fun, but it isn't. am i doing something wrong?
wtf am i missing? am i supposed to ignore all this stuff?
i'm really trying to enjoy this game, but i just spent the last 10 minutes murdering everyone in riverwood out of frustration. except for those 2 little invincible fireproof kids that i didn't even know i was wasting my time trying to kill because i forgot that i have to stare at the health bar to tell if i'm actually hitting anything.