Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Tinkering with Skyrim

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Edited By DJJoeJoe

Sometimes I feel like a pageant mother, pushing Skyrim to be more pretty than it ought to be...

Morrowind Saber
    Morrowind Saber

A vast or significant amount of the 100+ hours I’ve spent playing Skyrim so far has been tweaking the game back and forth between playable and beautiful, often shifting many times every day. While messing with uGrids in the Gamebryo Engine can destroy save files and create massive instabilities within the game it offers some of the better enhancements to visual quality and is the actual limiter for many standard tweaks. uGrids are literally the game world itself, how much the of the game world the engine will actually render and calculate at any given time, broken up into ‘grids’ around the player with the default being 5 and playable being 7, though more adventurous users going for great still images opt for 13+ uGrid for what I can imagine is not so much a game but rather a crash fest.

Besides playing Skyrim and tweaking it endlessly, taking screenshots has to be the third highest use of my time within the game and while I’ve not focused on this aspect as much I have managed to rack up almost 400 images. I’ve submitted some of the more notable images I’ve taken over at http://skyrimphotography.net/, just navigate over to the Star Photographers section to see some of them. I do sync my Steam screenshots folder for the game to Picasa as well so ‘all’ of the screens I’ve taken thus far will always be located here with newest at the bottom.

A list of the most notable mods I ‘track’ on SkyrimNexus.com:
    Better Sorting – renames many items
    Bookshelf Patch – attempts to fix ‘floating’ placed objects
    Embiggen Skyrim – makes skyrim support borderless windowed mode (most stable)
    Enhanced Blood Textures – significantly better looking blood splatters
    Essential followers plugins – companions in all beth games seem useles if/when they can die
    Immersive HUD – iHUD – dynamically hides/shows HUD elements
    JaySuS Swords – some great unique models here, not in use by me but definitely one I follow
    Legendary Smithing Upgrades – weapon improvements without exploiting potion system
    Lost Art of the Blacksmith – adds upgrades to otherwise none upgradable items
    Pure Waters Adaptive Flow – one of the few water texture tweaks that I think are good
    SKYRIM ENHANCED SHADERS – takes the enbseries tweaks and makes them look good
    Skyrim Flora Overhaul – not worth actually using at the moment, but very good work
    Skyrim Incremental Saver – very useful since the game doesn’t have a good save system
    Skyrim Online – extremely ambitious project…
    SkyUI – great UI replacement, adds valuable sorting options and display of items
    TESV Acceleration Layer – extreme increases in game performance and stability via code efficiency
    Vals Crafting Meltdown Alpha – new blacksmith functions like reverse smelting, arrow crafting etc
    Weapon Retexture Project – WRP – great work on making weapons look better
    Weapons of the Third Era – adds great, unique weapons from Morrowind
    World Map in full 3D – while cumbersome in practice, full navigation of the 3d map is nifty
    XCE - Xenius Character Enhancement – all wrapped up into one, characters look better
    DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By DJJoeJoe

Sometimes I feel like a pageant mother, pushing Skyrim to be more pretty than it ought to be...

Morrowind Saber
    Morrowind Saber

A vast or significant amount of the 100+ hours I’ve spent playing Skyrim so far has been tweaking the game back and forth between playable and beautiful, often shifting many times every day. While messing with uGrids in the Gamebryo Engine can destroy save files and create massive instabilities within the game it offers some of the better enhancements to visual quality and is the actual limiter for many standard tweaks. uGrids are literally the game world itself, how much the of the game world the engine will actually render and calculate at any given time, broken up into ‘grids’ around the player with the default being 5 and playable being 7, though more adventurous users going for great still images opt for 13+ uGrid for what I can imagine is not so much a game but rather a crash fest.

Besides playing Skyrim and tweaking it endlessly, taking screenshots has to be the third highest use of my time within the game and while I’ve not focused on this aspect as much I have managed to rack up almost 400 images. I’ve submitted some of the more notable images I’ve taken over at http://skyrimphotography.net/, just navigate over to the Star Photographers section to see some of them. I do sync my Steam screenshots folder for the game to Picasa as well so ‘all’ of the screens I’ve taken thus far will always be located here with newest at the bottom.

A list of the most notable mods I ‘track’ on SkyrimNexus.com:
    Better Sorting – renames many items
    Bookshelf Patch – attempts to fix ‘floating’ placed objects
    Embiggen Skyrim – makes skyrim support borderless windowed mode (most stable)
    Enhanced Blood Textures – significantly better looking blood splatters
    Essential followers plugins – companions in all beth games seem useles if/when they can die
    Immersive HUD – iHUD – dynamically hides/shows HUD elements
    JaySuS Swords – some great unique models here, not in use by me but definitely one I follow
    Legendary Smithing Upgrades – weapon improvements without exploiting potion system
    Lost Art of the Blacksmith – adds upgrades to otherwise none upgradable items
    Pure Waters Adaptive Flow – one of the few water texture tweaks that I think are good
    SKYRIM ENHANCED SHADERS – takes the enbseries tweaks and makes them look good
    Skyrim Flora Overhaul – not worth actually using at the moment, but very good work
    Skyrim Incremental Saver – very useful since the game doesn’t have a good save system
    Skyrim Online – extremely ambitious project…
    SkyUI – great UI replacement, adds valuable sorting options and display of items
    TESV Acceleration Layer – extreme increases in game performance and stability via code efficiency
    Vals Crafting Meltdown Alpha – new blacksmith functions like reverse smelting, arrow crafting etc
    Weapon Retexture Project – WRP – great work on making weapons look better
    Weapons of the Third Era – adds great, unique weapons from Morrowind
    World Map in full 3D – while cumbersome in practice, full navigation of the 3d map is nifty
    XCE - Xenius Character Enhancement – all wrapped up into one, characters look better
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

I hope I live long enough to see the day when consoles get mod support.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DJJoeJoe

@Axxol: Technically the playstation 3 supports mods(I think?), but that seems to be more part of Sony's general attitude towards it's online service as a whole. It doesn't care what you or anyone does, they can make something great or do nothing at all and it's all up to developers and users to make that content happen themselves etc. I'd like to see if their methods change for their next console, it's not hard to implement rules that people need to follow in order to deliver a great experience across the board and it's kinda needed if you indeed want that great experience. Microsoft's downside when doing exactly that is the rules they've made don't evolve in a smart way, they provide great things but right now they harm almost half the time that they help something grow.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BasketSnake

I modded my xbox save slightly on PC and brought it back over. Apparently some of the PC settings was ported over too because when I turn around I no longer get that slight lag from the controls. The turning speed is consistent like on PC and I - love - it.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DJJoeJoe

@BasketSnake: Very weird, hope that continues to work out for you.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BraveToaster

@DJJoeJoe said:

@Axxol: Technically the playstation 3 supports mods(I think?), but that seems to be more part of Sony's general attitude towards it's online service as a whole. It doesn't care what you or anyone does, they can make something great or do nothing at all and it's all up to developers and users to make that content happen themselves etc. I'd like to see if their methods change for their next console, it's not hard to implement rules that people need to follow in order to deliver a great experience across the board and it's kinda needed if you indeed want that great experience. Microsoft's downside when doing exactly that is the rules they've made don't evolve in a smart way, they provide great things but right now they harm almost half the time that they help something grow.

The PS3 doesn't support mods.

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By ssj4raditz

Why oh why must I not have a good PC?!

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By daiphyer
    @Axxol said:

Agreed x100000.  
     Mods make games so much better. Fuck you Microsoft and Sony.
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By gike987

@Axxol said:

@DJJoeJoe said:

Consoles would not be able to run many of the popular mods anyway. The PS3 version runs bad as it is, I really don't want to see what it runs like with texture that are two to four times the original resolution.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BraveToaster

@gike987 said:

@Axxol said:

@DJJoeJoe said:

Consoles would not be able to run many of the popular mods anyway. The PS3 version runs bad as it is, I really don't want to see what it runs like with texture that are two to four times the original resolution.

This console generation can't, but none of us know what the next generation is going to be capable of or the generation after that. It may take a while for something like this to happen, that's why I stated that I hope I live long enough to see the day it actually happens. I wasn't talking about this generation.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

@Axxol: I think Todd Howard said something about them trying to figure out a system to get mods to the console versions. They'd probably hand pick some, and release them through some sort of service. He referenced Rock Band Network.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BraveToaster

@VilhelmNielsen said:

@Axxol: I think Todd Howard said something about them trying to figure out a system to get mods to the console versions. They'd probably hand pick some, and release them through some sort of service. He referenced Rock Band Network.

Yeah, I heard about that. It's good that Todd and crew are taking initiative and I hope it runs smoothly.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Hot damn, those are some impressive mods! I'm going to download some of these right now!!

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ryuku_Ryosake

@Axxol: Actually it does the PS3 version of Unreal Tournament 3 allowed you to run PS3 ports of the PC mods. I did it it worked pretty well too. You loaded the mod to a special folder on a usb stick put it in hit the mod option and it would import the mod. Epic would even port the best PC mods to the PS3 if the creator did not. It worked pretty good. It's just that Unreal Tournament failed hard so we never saw it again. However Sony was willing to play ball for mods on it's platform.

eminenssi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By eminenssi

Very nice post!

Been thinking of posting a similar one myself, was one day looking back at my FO:NV mod manager and realized I had exactly 100 mods installed. Although the game had gotten more unstable I must say I was pretty happy about what I had changed the game into, pretty proud even, I spent alot of time browsing and testing mods. Tens of hours easy. Knowing what sort of process it is to browse through the mods, I tip my hat to you, dude. That's a good selection of good mods. Are you maybe planning on keeping updating this or posting updates on your modding? Would deffo check back.

I'm still playing through the game vanilla myself. Vanilla in my case being only visual, UI and minor rebalance mods. Thought I'd just use same formula as with FO:NV, first playthrough normal, and then unto mods. Seeing the mod tools are released on january, the timing seems to go just nicely. I might just make a similar blog post then myself as well :)

Always be modding!

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By matthew
    @Ryuku_Ryosake said:

@Axxol: Actually it does the PS3 version of Unreal Tournament 3 allowed you to run PS3 ports of the PC mods. I did it it worked pretty well too. You loaded the mod to a special folder on a usb stick put it in hit the mod option and it would import the mod. Epic would even port the best PC mods to the PS3 if the creator did not. It worked pretty good. It's just that Unreal Tournament failed hard so we never saw it again. However Sony was willing to play ball for mods on it's platform.

Yeah, I was going to bring up the point that skins are a very basic form of modding. And while UT3 failed hardcore, it did bring the concept of mods to the PS3.
    Gashlycrumb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Gashlycrumb

that's a pretty nice morrowind saber you got there? might i ask where you got it?

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DJJoeJoe

@Catfish666: I have a feeling that we'll only get a large selection of new, unique, and great mods come January. Right now it's mostly what we already have and variants of them. A large selection of Beth game mods have never been for me, the 'clean' skin stuff or the anime girl stuff is crazy to me along with most unique armors because they tend to change things too much. What I want at most is tasteful inclusions into the game world like the Weapons of the Third Era which adds very well done morrowind weapons and explains away a backstory of them being rare and actually not that great stats wise, only slightly better in 'some' cases, but they look unique and great in Skyrim and that's enough for me to perk up when I randomly spot one in a basket in dungeon. Whenever I see a weapon in the game world I can't help but exclaim out-loud, "cool!".

@Gashlycrumb: Weapons of the Third Era by user 747823

The author just added an ebony saber I believe also, which looked pretty rad.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gike987
    DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DJJoeJoe

@gike987: The realistic water mod seems to have a general goal of making 'better' water, changing the reflectivity and various other things. The pure waters mod seems oriented on a specific aesthetic of calmer water, and I like that look a bit more than the 'just better' water cause honestly the default water was something I didn't have issues with at all. I did use the realistic water at first though, both are fine and I think it's down to personal taste. If I downloaded only the popular mods all the females in my game would have massive tits, creepily clean skin and I'd have various colors robes and photoshop noise on all the game's textures for an "HD" effect :S

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#21  Edited By Brackynews

@BraveToaster said:

Already did. That's the past, broster.

Integrity of leaderboards and anti-cheat systems for a fair and balanced gameplay experience is our present and future...

*looks around* *shakes head* *loads NES cartridge*

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.