Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

To clarify for equipment: Helm, gauntlet, boots, "armor"?

sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sreya92

We now all know that greaves have been taken out but does that mean we are reduced to one piece of armor plus extremities that I assume come in pairs? That saddens me a little, on a side note: Can mods somehow change this?

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By bicycleham

WHAT? FUCK.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

It's obvious why greaves were taken out.

Real vikings don't wear any sort of pants.

Avatar image for chainreaction01
    chainreaction01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By chainreaction01

Probably not, since they are designing the armor to be as one piece then by attempting to mix and match chest and leg combinations would require someone to both split the armor itself and split the Armor slot into a Chest and Leg slot. Even then you probably wouldn't want to have it seeing as the armor was made a certain way, and may result in clipping when trying to mix it with something it wasn't made for. Then again, modders did crazy things back in Oblivion as well that I could have never expected were possible.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Spoonman671

One less piece of armor really doesn't seem like a big deal to me.  There will be plenty of other crap to clutter up our inventories, I'm sure.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By dillonwerner

I remember the days of Morrowind with shoulder plates to.  Saddens me a little..

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Tennmuerti

Elder Scrolls 6 will be streamlined further. You will just have 1 piece: armor.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xyzygy
    @DillonWerner said:
    I remember the days of Morrowind with shoulder plates to.  Saddens me a little..
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

This was the same way i felt about Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2, Skyrim oddly doesn't worry me because it looks awesome. And hey, if you don't like something, just mod it. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

This was the same way i felt about Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2, Skyrim oddly doesn't worry me because it looks awesome. And hey, if you don't like something, just mod it.

Pretty much the only reason this doesn't bother me. TES has an absolutely fantastic mod community, so they'll make the game everything it should have been.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bicycleham
    @Tennmuerti said:

There won't be any armor. You are the armor.
    beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By beforet

Real vikings fight nude, anyway.

Cslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cslaw

naked with not historically accurate horned viking helm, fuck greaves

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Its nice to see this is the one thing people are upset about. If this is the ONE thing that upsets you this game is more or less a sure win for GOTY. 

TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheChaos
    @Xolare said:

@Tennmuerti said:

The Elder Scrolls VI: Modern Warfare
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By valrog
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    Its nice to see this is the one thing people are upset about. If this is the ONE thing that upsets you this game is more or less a sure win for GOTY. 
    Well that and the Count of Skingrad appearing everywhere.
    Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ragdrazi

This is a troll thread that has been made more then once on Giant Bomb. The target seems to be anyone who is upset with the mass simplification of stats proposed in Skyrim.

Count me among those who don't like my games dumbed down.

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Aishan
    @Ragdrazi: Please explain, in detail, how combining two pieces of armour counts as "dumbing down."
    Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Nentisys
    @DillonWerner said:
    That shit was great, my dude always looked fucking awesome with mismatched stuff.
    Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @Aishan said:

@Ragdrazi: Please explain, in detail, how combining two pieces of armour counts as "dumbing down."

Right. So this sort of fighting is exactly what the OP wants. In fact, you yourself are probably an alt.

In answer to your question though, two pieces of armor to one isn't a big deal, but it's kind of annoying. Taking down all your stats to three massively destroys meaningful customization in a game series that already seems to hate and loathe the sort of meaningful customization that make western RPGs great. Yes, both hate and loathe.

The point is to draw people in who are upset with the stats being taken down so they can have an emotional reaction to this bit of news as well. Then people for whom this isn't a big deal can attack them for their reaction, and GB can become more like 4chan. The problem is, this exact same thread has already been done. It was probably closed. In fact, someone should flag this one too.
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By McGhee

Who cares about grieves? Why can't I have interchangeable cod pieces?

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Mars_Cleric

I for one am OUTRAGED!

My favourite part of the Elder Scrolls series was the ability to meticulously choose whatever pants I wanted.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mars_Cleric

you could say they have a...greave-ance

heh heh...sigh

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By matoya

If you don't like it, don't play it, stop complaining, and let the rest of us enjoy it

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Aishan
    @Ragdrazi: Oh you got me, I signed up years ago, attached my proper XBL account to the site and have been editing the wiki all in order to build a persona so that I could suddenly strike out as a troll! Don't be so fucking ridiculous. 

Regarding the stats, this has been discussed ad-nauseam, the main points to raise here are: 
    1.) RPGs are not defined by stats. Stats are there to be in service of the game mechanics. The skills in TES do the majority of this.
    2.) The stats in The Elder Scrolls series have rarely done anything meaningful in terms of both character growth and gameplay benefit. If you're a warrior, you raised Str and End; if you're a mage, you raised Int and Wis, if you're a rogue you raised  Agi and Spd. There was no meaningful choice to be found here, you put the points in the two or three stats that defined your class. Even then, the stats didn't really change very much. Great, you've just put 4 points into Strength, now you can carry 20 pounds more of equipment at hit a few percentage points harder. You just put 10 points into Speed, now you move slightly faster than molasses instead. Woo. The skills has always been where the majority of real character customisation lies, and we still have that.
    3.) The perks system adds more customisability than the basic stats ever did.
    Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @Aishan: Wow. I'm sorry I didn't go looking through your info. But you really are idiotically committed to making this thread as trollerific as possible aren't you. 

I agree with you in part on some of what you've said but, again, and I apparently can't stress this enough with you, this is a troll thread.
    Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Aishan

I think you're overly paranoid. The OP was looking for clarification on an issue that hadn't been widely discussed outside of the fan interview.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By geirr

Screw armor, go monk.

But yes whatever happens, there'll always be a mod that'll make things more interesting.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Binman88

So the chestplate and greaves will be combined in one? I'm not too bothered by that as long as there's enough variety. Also, it will be inexcusable if there's any sort of clipping between the two items, considering they're being designed as single pieces. 

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By bicycleham
    @TheChaos said:
    @Xolare said:

@Tennmuerti said:

The Elder Scrolls VI: Modern Warfare
    It's just going to be called The Scrolls. It's a gritty reboot.
    metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By metalmoog
    @Aishan said:
    I think you're overly paranoid. The OP was looking for clarification on an issue that hadn't been widely discussed outside of the fan interview.
    Exactly. This is a legitimate question. I don't understand how voicing a concern over an upcoming game or asking for clarification on one of it's elements can even remotely be considered a troll thread. 

Has the internet truly become this sensitive to any form of debate? OMG OP doesn't love everything about the game and may have opinions that others disagree with, lock it. It's a troll thread.
    sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sreya92
    @Ragdrazi: This isn't a troll thread dude so please stop trying to turn it in to one. I was looking for confirmation of the removal of an armor piece, and also wondering if that could be fixed through mods, since--to me-- that sounds pretty hard to do
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By onarum
    @Tennmuerti said:

yep, by the time ES 8 comes there will be just this button you press to win the game.
    Lestater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lestater
    @Mars_Cleric said: 

you could say they have a...greave-ance

heh heh...sigh

I was baked when I read that pun and rofled my ass off!  thanks! ;D
    Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @Aishan said:
    I'll say it again, because apparently you missed it. Two or three days ago an thread on this exact same  "I'm upset about greaves" topic was created by a person who eventually admitted they were trolling. It's not at all paranoid to assume that a thread that about the exact same thing is after the exactsame reaction.
    JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JP_Russell
    @sreya92 said:
    @Ragdrazi: This isn't a troll thread dude so please stop trying to turn it in to one. I was looking for confirmation of the removal of an armor piece, and also wondering if that could be fixed through mods, since--to me-- that sounds pretty hard to do

Nah, that'd be a relatively simple mod to pull off for someone with modding skills, I'm sure.  Probably the hardest thing about it would be getting the AI to properly recognize apparel as being 5 (or more) item slots instead of the default 4 so that they'll behave accordingly anytime they need to make a decision about what to wear.
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By Rockdalf
    @Ragdrazi said:
    @Aishan said:
    I'll say it again, because apparently you missed it. Two or three days ago an thread on this exact same  "I'm upset about greaves" topic was created by a person who eventually admitted they were trolling. It's not at all paranoid to assume that a thread that about the exact same thing is after the exactsame reaction.
    Let's look at it this way.  If it ACTUALLY bears meaningful discussion and peaceful discourse and the only person upset is you, is it a troll thread or are you just misunderstanding it? 

You're the person in the corner of the room, back to the wall, pointing a finger to the crowd as you scream, "you just don't see it do you!  It's all a troll thread!" 

Chill out, I came to this thread and actually learned something I did not know about Skyrim, and honestly I'm not that upset about it.  I usually used complete armor sets anyway unless I was trying to look like a jackass and if this makes the armor look more realistic (with less clipping), I'm all for it.
    Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @Rockdalf: Look at it this way. If it's the exact same thread and was causing the exact same reaction, exactly why would you assume it was done for anything other then the exact same reason. Because you'd have to be crazy that's why.

I think you guys should chill out. Becuase I've actually already explained why I thought it was a troll thread several times now. And, yes, that explanation is completely reasonable given the situation. Anyone who'd read the first thread would be thinking and saying the same thing I was. 

I'm done defending myself on this.
    BlackAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BlackAlpha
    @Aishan said:
    Please explain, in detail, how combining two pieces of armour counts as "dumbing down."

By doing so you make the game more simple. In other words, you make the game less complex. If you don't like that, you will see that as dumbing down the game. Some people like me hate this, while others love it. 

I love having lots of different type of loot, complex skill trees, lots of options, etc. But it seems the developers want to appeal to the masses, and it seems the masses prefer a more simple kind of gameplay, hence we get a more simple kind of loot and inventory system. But I wish they would've made the inventory system more complex by adding more types of different items you can wear, not less. Dumbing down, streamlining, or however you want to call it, does not necessarily mean the game will turn out bad, so I won't judge until I play the game. However, after having played Mass Effect 2 (I still enjoyed it, though) and Dragon Age 2, I'm very wary. If it turns out they made the game more simple overall, then I'll be disappointed. I really don't want another Dragon Age 2... 

Note, when I say "complex", I'm not talking about complexity for the sake of complexity. I'm actually talking about new options, possibilities, features that make the game even more fun. In my eyes, less complexity means there are less fun things to do in the game. And when I say the game becomes more simple, I mean there are less of such things that make the game fun. Hence, dumbed down. 

At the end, it comes down to preferences. What some people view as "dumbing down" (negative), might be "streamlining" (positive) to you.
    TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

They will introduce new armour plates... like ass plates...

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Aronman789

I don't see a problem, you're going to be playing in first-person anyway.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Ragdrazi

Well, the idea is that armor should be about more then just looks.

bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By bioblood22

I like the idea, now I won't have to worry about if my combined outfit makes my but look big...clearly it doesn't.  

Even in Morrowinds' time the armor looked like crap and in Oblivion is was okay. I'm glad Bethesda is taking steps to really make the armor suits feel like they belong and look great.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.