Today's Waterfall of News: Snow Elves Confirmed?!

#1 Edited by Storms (341 posts) -
vie RockPaperShotgun: 

At the start of the game, you (or rather your map) know roughly where Skyrim’s cities are but you can’t fast-travel straight to them yet. You can wander that way and hope for the best, or you can pay for a carriage there – a la Morrowind’s Silt Striders. Once you’ve been somewhere, you can then fast-travel to it, if you want to.

The Necromancers themselves aren’t far off, nor are they pleased to see us. We dispatch the first one sharipish with a fire spell – each and every new Skyrim character starts off with basic fire and healing magic, but from there it’s up to you what you use (and on what you find or buy, of course). [...]. As one falls, another immediately turns and starts resurrecting him. His body lifts off the ground, his back arching, surround by blue energy. 

As the fight moves on we face Falmer, “twisted, evil creatures that dwell in Skyrim’s deepest reaches” and which basically look like goblins wearing spider’s faces as helmets, we move more into melee. 

Falmer has traditionally been the proper name for the "Snow Elves" mentioned in past TES titles, such as TESIII: Morrowind, Bloodmoon -- Snow Elves having been one of the more popular character creation mods due to the inspiration of in-game books such as "The Fall of the Snow Prince". 

And a bonus article from Kotaku. Because you deserve a bonus, you. 

"Central" characters in Skyrim will not die. If defeated in combat, these people will drop to their knees. Rare "Protected" characters can be killed by you, but not by non-player characters who do have the ability to murder their fellow Skyrim dwellers during the kind of unplanned, dynamic chaos Bethesda players enjoy igniting. Those Skyrimians who are neither Central nor Protected may die by your or others' hands

Thou Shalt Be Encumbered in Skyrim

woot

The game doesn't have an ending, not a final ending ending, if you know what I mean [...] Skyrim will be forever open-ended too, Howard told me. That's the way Bethesda is doing it from now on.

#2 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

Ahhh. I was hoping i could actually play as one. Oh well. It should still be pretty fun killing Falmer. I still wish they would have some secret Dwemer or something. Kinda sucks that they are all dead. Oh well :/

#3 Posted by Storms (341 posts) -
@Pibo47: Well, they do have Dwemer ruins filled with their automatic constructs in Skyrim. Who says there are going to be no Dwemer hidden away somewhere?  ;p
#4 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -
@Storms said:
@Pibo47: Well, they do have Dwemer ruins filled with their automatic constructs in Skyrim. Who says there are going to be no Dwemer hidden away somewhere?  ;p
WHOA! When did Dwemer ruins get confirmed?!? I am pumped to kill some automatons. 
#5 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

So that's what this guy was. Kind of disappointing the snow elves are just goblins now.

#6 Posted by Storms (341 posts) -
@Pibo47: In the official trailer, there's about a one and a half second shot of what looks for all the world like Dwemer ruins. 

Then, in the second video on this page, Todd Howard confirms a city built on Dwarven Ruins. 

Lastly, I caught a glimpse of the devs working on Skyrim and clearly saw an unfinished Sphere Centurion being animated on one of their computers. Can't seem to find the video again.
#7 Posted by Aishan (1015 posts) -
@Storms said:
@Pibo47: Who says there are going to be no Dwemer hidden away somewhere?  ;p
This Guy.
#8 Posted by Storms (341 posts) -
@yoshimitz707: I'm not disappointed. Reviewer obviously had no idea what a Falmer was and that pic looks epic. They bothered to include them at all, so I'm anticipating new Lore about them.
#9 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -
#10 Edited by Storms (341 posts) -
@Mr_Skeleton: I'm sort of new here and do not understand the source of your deep-seated rage. Am I breaking some sort of rule? Is someone forcing you to come here and check new threads? Isn't this forum for Skyrim discussion? Is there a posting limit? Did I not combine two stories in to one post? Should there be a sub-forum in this Skyrim forum dedicated to things in Skyrim?
#11 Posted by Moonshadow101 (567 posts) -

I don't really see a problem with it. If people aren't interested, the threads will drift to the bottom and die off. If they are, they'll stay on top. What's wrong with discussion?

@Aishan said:

@Storms said:
@Pibo47: Who says there are going to be no Dwemer hidden away somewhere? ;p
This Guy.

I recall Bagarn being rather specific: he doesn't actually know for sure that he's the last Dwemer. He's the last one that he knows of, and he is unable to contact any others through Dwemer telepathy. That's the sum of his "the last dwarf" assumption. There could be others, though I personally would prefer that extinct things stay extinct. Having little colonies of survivors popping up would diminish their mystery.

On the topic of Falmer, it seems they went with the devolution path after all. I wonder if these are supposed to be Rieklings as well. Hmm.

#12 Edited by Hector (3364 posts) -
#13 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -
@yoshimitz707 said:

So that's what this guy was. Kind of disappointing the snow elves are just goblins now.

Eww, that reminds me of Morbius. 
#14 Posted by Getz (3012 posts) -

@Aishan said:

@Storms said:
@Pibo47: Who says there are going to be no Dwemer hidden away somewhere? ;p
This Guy.

poor Yagrum... at least he's immortal. Actually, that reminds me: if the Nerevarine has Corprus, does that mean he won't die of old age?

#15 Posted by Storms (341 posts) -
@Getz: Old age? It would seem not. Though there was an NPC rumor in Oblivion that the Nerevarine had gone to Akavir and "not been heard from" since.
#16 Edited by JoeyRavn (4974 posts) -

@Hector said:

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Stop making threads about every fucking little thing in Skyrim.

lol wow, this guy is really into Skyrim.

Walking confirmed in Skyrim. Go.

Edit: Ah, fuck it. I'll remove this forums from my favorites till the game is released.

#17 Posted by Storms (341 posts) -
@CaLe: I want the possibility, yes. Not only is it a sensible amount of realism, but it allows me to pick up anything in the game while keeping my inventory from becoming a mess.
#18 Posted by bioblood22 (420 posts) -

I don't mind Storms making topics. Keeps things lively and plus, no one is forcing you to look into them.

#19 Posted by BasketSnake (1205 posts) -

I check the GB Skyrim forum every day and I appreciate you digging up every little thing so that I don't have to. Keep at it.

#20 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -
#21 Posted by Stahlbrand (838 posts) -

@CaLe said:

Thou Shalt Be Encumbered in Skyrim

woot

You want to be encumbered?

Not having encumbrance would mess up the game. Just don't pick up every bit of garbage you see, and consider the resale value vs. weight of the items you do pluck off corpses.

So yay encumbrance.

#22 Posted by Stahlbrand (838 posts) -

@CaLe: Out of the dozen pairs of "rough fur boots" you are carrying, you could probably stand to give up on the 12 gold you'll get and drop all of them. Why carry around so much stuff you don't need, why pick up every single thing you see, that packrat mentality is just a distraction from the game -- I know because that is how I first played the game, and my enjoyment was increased once I kicked the hoarder bullshit and just grabbed the shiny loot, I usually had inventory to spare, and I probably made as much gold per hour of play-time as I did before because I spent more time playing, less time obsessively pulling rat meat out of the inventories of dead goblins, let alone making mid-dungeon trips back to the market.

Alternatively, in a world where you have no encumbrance to worry about: I'm carrying every single item in the game, let me scroll though this list for five minutes looking for the one thing I need. Boy I'm looking forward to clicking though this list at a merchant for minutes on end, this stack of flax seeds alone will net me almost 5 gold. Also, I have several hundred items in my inventory, hope that doesn't fuck up a memory pool or make opening menus hitch and strain.

But whatever. If Skyrim is like every other Bethsoft game ever, one of the first mods that gets released will be a zero-encumbrance mod, along with the usual god-weapons, super-armor, max-stat rings, and other such rot.

In the end, it is your experience so please play it whatever way makes you happy. But IMO, cheating the friction out of a game is unsatisfying and self-defeating.

#23 Posted by RavenX302 (258 posts) -
@BasketSnake said:

I check the GB Skyrim forum every day and I appreciate you digging up every little thing so that I don't have to. Keep at it.

I agree with this. I don't have much time to serf around and look for things...I manly can just check my email and check a couple other sites during the weekdays so it is nice to get some updated info, however small, on basically the only game for the rest of the year I am interested in buying on launch.
#24 Posted by Storms (341 posts) -
@yoshimitz707 said:

http://theskyrimblog.com/?p=1178 

Even if Falmer are exclusively enemies, that is beyond gorgeous. 

I'm calling it now, first Mod is to make it playable, second mod is to add a Falmer questline with you making friends with them.
#25 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1199 posts) -

Too many fucking elves! 
Damn Dwemer (however you spell it), Altmer, Dunmer, Bosmer, stupiddouchebagmer. 
If Bethesda are adding Snow Elves they should at least be a long lost relative of the long lost Dwemer (Elder Scroll's version of Dwarves) or maybe a variation of Ayleid (eye lid? who knows?) that actually come into contact with Men and other Mer instead of being isolated duders. 
@Storms
said:

Also, I thought the Dwemer were extinct.
#26 Edited by Storms (341 posts) -
@TEHMAXXORZ said:

Too many fucking elves! 
Damn Dwemer (however you spell it), Altmer, Dunmer, Bosmer, stupiddouchebagmer. 
If Bethesda are adding Snow Elves they should at least be a long lost relative of the long lost Dwemer (Elder Scroll's version of Dwarves) or maybe a variation of Ayleid (eye lid? who knows?) that actually come into contact with Men and other Mer instead of being isolated duders.  
@Storms
said:

Also, I thought the Dwemer were extinct.
Nobody knows what happened to the Dwemer. There was one in Morrowind who said he had been looking for the other members of his race for hundreds of years. They experimented with going to other planes of existence, so that's the most probable explanation for their disappearance. Who knows when they could return, or what we'll find deep inside of Nirn. 

Far as Snow Elves go, Bethesda are not just making up a new type of elf. They're long established in the lore. And having them suddenly be friendly with everyone would be out of nowhere. It could be explained in the 200 year gap but it would make more sense to have this unfold in a time the player can experience. It is just a random fact if it happens in the gap between games but if it happens during the course of Skyrim, you can say "I was there, I remember when the Falmer returned".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.