Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Unrealistic Weights.

• 64 results
    ManSphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ManSphere

Watching a video of the new inventory screen, I have discovered that an iron sword weights 10 lbs. in the game and a battle axe weighs 21 lbs. I never liked this inaccuracy. Most swords weighed/weigh about 2-5 lbs. Even claymores weighed less than 8 lbs. usually.

I understand the need to make more powerful items and weapons 'cost' more to carry compared to early game, weak weapons, but why not just make the weights a little more real and reduce the amount of weight the characters can carry.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By hatking

@ManSphere said:

Watching a video of the new inventory screen, I have discovered that an iron sword weights 10 lbs. in the game and a battle axe weighs 21 lbs. I never liked this inaccuracy. Most swords weighed/weigh about 2-5 lbs. Even claymores weighed less than 8 lbs. usually.

I understand the need to make more powerful items and weapons 'cost' more to carry compared to early game, weak weapons, but why not just make the weights a little more real and reduce the amount of weight the characters can carry.

Because if there wasn't at least one annoying thing in the game (encumbrance) there would be nothing for people to nitpick at.

Honestly though, that is kind of cool. I always assumed (based on experiences with fake display swords) that the weapons weighed about ten pounds or more depending on the size. I did some quick google-ing and found out that you're right on that. I'm guessing that they've just made the same assumption that I did.

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Twitchey

Well I had a deja vu moment from this. 

I guess to annoy people.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Getz

That's OK, they used to weigh 35 pounds so I'd say 21 is a step in the right direction

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DrPockets000

Another thing that bothers me is the inclusion of dragons. I'm sure those don't exist in real life, and as such having them in the game is highly inaccurate.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Adamsons

This is one thing that the new UI will piss me off about, this and items cost.

Because where Oblivion's UI was cluttered and ugly, it was functional. The new streamlined UI looks sleek but it will take a bunch of scrolling to compare items.

Not a huge deal, but not entirely a step forward.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Adamsons said:

Because where Oblivion's UI was cluttered and ugly, it was functional. The new streamlined UI looks sleek but it will take a bunch of scrolling to compare items.

Dude what?

Don't you just scroll up and down between weapons?

I will take that new menu over anything.

DaemonBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By DaemonBlack

Who gives a shit? Maybe in the world where dragons, magic and Lizard people live things weigh more.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Adamsons

@Doctorchimp said:

@Adamsons said:

Dude what?

Eh don't get me wrong - it just wouldn't have taken much to make the weight and cost of items listed with them so you don't have to scroll to each individual item to see.

The UI looks way better and the examining items being important (like that claw thing in the barrows vid) is a cool feature, but it's still less functional.

It will probably be changed via a mod though, so yay.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Adamsons said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@Adamsons said:

Dude what?

Eh don't get me wrong - it just wouldn't have taken much to make the weight and cost of items listed with them so you don't have to scroll to each individual item to see.

The UI looks way better and the examining items being important (like that claw thing in the barrows vid) is a cool feature, but it's still less functional.

It will probably be changed via a mod though, so yay.

Oh I see. Yeah I'm sure there's going to an "Add Weight and DPS to UI" in the first couple of weeks.

I'm still super excited over it though it is too goddamn slick, functionality be damned. I don't need some duder telling me my Elven Longsword is stronger than my Steel one and the Daedric Warhammer is heavy as hell.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jozzy

Thanks for the info, you made me look it up and apparently you are right, swords were not nearly as heavy as I thought.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By grilledcheez

I never really paid attention enough to notice, it's cool that you pointed it out though.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Adamsons

@Doctorchimp said:

Oh I see. Yeah I'm sure there's going to an "Add Weight and DPS to UI" in the first couple of weeks.

I'm still super excited over it though it is too goddamn slick, functionality be damned. I don't need some duder telling me my Elven Longsword is stronger than my Steel one and the Daedric Warhammer is heavy as hell.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I just kinda wanted to illustrate what I meant. The Skyrim one obviously looks way better than Oblivion (That character model, Jesus, fuck.)

But there is no way to instantly know that your minotaur horns are 50 times as heavy as your radishes.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Im sure back then they used different metals. That could account for that also

VIDEO GAME IS VIDEO GAME!

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Brendan

Really? A claymore isn't even ten pounds? Colour me surprised! Not that 8 pounds isn't still a great trouble to swing around constantly while fighting for your life, but still...

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Adamsons: Ahhh....

And I do alchemy on every Elder Scrolls game I played too.

They should just get rid of encumbrance for those misc. items...

DrBendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DrBendo

Is there anything to suggest that the weight units are pounds in the first place? I saw where it said "10" and "21", but I didn't see anything about it being ten pounds.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DystopiaX

@DrBendo said:

Is there anything to suggest that the weight units are pounds in the first place? I saw where it said "10" and "21", but I didn't see anything about it being ten pounds.

ALL WEIGHT IN SKYRIM ARE MEASURED IN BALONEY SANDWICHES

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Stahlbrand

You'll be glad you brought your 10 baloney sandwich sword when you come a cropper of a dragon.

Also, RE the menu, wait about two days for an overhaul for the menu and GUI if you don't like it, I'm sure there will be more than one good replacement.

Unless you're playing on consoles, then you're doing TES wrong.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ryanwho

I play fantasy games for realism.

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GuyIncognito

@DrPockets000 said:

Another thing that bothers me is the inclusion of dragons. I'm sure those don't exist in real life, and as such having them in the game is highly inaccurate.

@ryanwho said:

I'm having a deja vu moment. Developer makes no effort (i.e., they don't even do a simple google search). Typical cop out: it's a game DURRR.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tennmuerti

I always just mod/hack my carry capacity to something ridiculous anyway. and have no clue about fucked up non metric systems

Also: different metals/alloys/density

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ryanwho

What's the real weight for this fictional weapon?

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Stahlbrand

@ryanwho: Can I get that in an undefined, relative unit of measurement please?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ryanwho

@Stahlbrand said:

Sure.

1 fantasy game+1 weapon resembling something in reality=misconceptions about how much it should weigh, completely ignoring the fact that game versions of swords tend to be 50-100 percent larger than their real world counterparts. OP's right, a real broadsword only weighs about 3 pounds. But its also about the size of a videogame dagger that weighs 3 pounds.

And that's completely ignoring that TES games never declared their weight measurement is in pounds.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Stahlbrand

@GuyIncognito said:

I'm having a deja vu moment. Developer makes no effort (i.e., they don't even do a simple google search). Typical cop out: it's a game DURRR.

People say that a stupid complaint is stupid, THEY'RE JUST MAKING EXCUSES FOR THE DEVELOPER!!!1

If you're that upset that the devs didn't google "weight of fictional swords and axes" before assigning relative encumbrance value to in-game weapons, you must be the type of person who interjects any time somebody uses the word "clip" instead of "magazine".

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vodun

@DystopiaX said:

@DrBendo said:

I approve of this new measurement standard.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Stahlbrand

@Stahlbrand said:

@GuyIncognito said:

People say that a stupid complaint is stupid, THEY'RE JUST MAKING EXCUSES FOR THE DEVELOPER!!!1

If you're that upset that the devs didn't google "weight of fictional swords and axes" before assigning relative encumbrance value to in-game weapons, you must be the type of person who interjects any time somebody uses the word "clip" instead of "magazine".

I shouldn't have been discourteous, sorry about my tone.

Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have you ever held some of those 60 pound buster sword replicas? Jebus christ, those things are heavvvyy. I think a measily 10 pounds is rather easy. And yes, big huge gigantic axes can weigh 20-30+ pounds. Gots to remember, these are thickkk ass steel/iron weapons. You hold a sword today, and it won't be anywhere near as heavy as the viking days.

Besides, when was the elder scrolls ever...exactly, real?

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GuyIncognito

@ryanwho said:

@Stahlbrand said:

Sure.

1 fantasy game+1 weapon resembling something in reality=misconceptions about how much it should weigh, completely ignoring the fact that game versions of swords tend to be 50-100 percent larger than their real world counterparts. OP's right, a real broadsword only weighs about 3 pounds. But its also about the size of a videogame dagger that weighs 3 pounds.

And that's completely ignoring that TES games never declared their weight measurement is in pounds.

I prefer this nerdy post to your other default response.

@Stahlbrand said:

@GuyIncognito said:

What if I am? :-P

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DystopiaX
    @Vodun

@DystopiaX said:

@DrBendo said:

I approve of this new measurement standard.

I think this means skyrim will routinely have "kill x number of things" where you have to kill enough pigs to help an npc measure the weight of his armor, moral choices where you can kill innocent farmers for their grain to make bread, obvious moral choices there. If you choose to play good you have to hunt down bandits and hope that they have bread/aren't starving.
    spookyfaust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By spookyfaust

Has Bethesda released the gravitational information for Skyrim yet?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @DystopiaX said:

@DrBendo said:

Hahaha. 

Anyone know the conversion rate from Baloney to Bologna?
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BraveToaster

Let's complain about unrealistic things in video games!

Dragons are unrealistic, so let's take those out of the game.  

Edit:  
    @DrPockets000
    said:

Darn, you beat me to it.
    Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By Nate

@spookyfaust said:

I don't know, but I hope that comes soon. I'm quite concerned about the height of jumps in this game being a little too unrealistic.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36  Edited By Marz

it's video game metal...

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Nate said:

@spookyfaust said:

I don't know, but I hope that comes soon. I'm quite concerned about the height of jumps in this game being a little too unrealistic.

Get ready for disappointment guys. 
    I was told by an insider that despite an iron sword weighing 10, you can still jump 6 high. 

Ridiculous.
    bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By bioblood22

Reading this topic has proven some people either have to much time on their hands or just like to nitpick at the little things, to each their own. Also reading this topic has made me laugh a bit with some of the awesome responses such as "dragons are not real so why are they in the game" and the whole sandwich conversion rate and the gravity comments. Good to see Skyrim fans are clever.

Bravo to all.

spookyfaust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By spookyfaust

@ProfessorEss:

Todd Howard = Truly history's greatest monster?

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jimbo

All non-equippable items should go into an infinite 100% bag of holding.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheHBK

I couldn't tell but the weights are in pounds or is it some kind of Elder Scrolls unit? Yet it is humorous to complain about realistic weights when a video shows us a dragon picking up a pale skin giant into the air. I think it is unrealistic the Dragon was not encumbered.

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By easthill

@thechronodarkness said:

Have you ever held some of those 60 pound buster sword replicas? Jebus christ, those things are heavvvyy. I think a measily 10 pounds is rather easy. And yes, big huge gigantic axes can weigh 20-30+ pounds. Gots to remember, these are thickkk ass steel/iron weapons. You hold a sword today, and it won't be anywhere near as heavy as the viking days.

Besides, when was the elder scrolls ever...exactly, real?

Viking Swords wasn't exactly heavy.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ravenlight

@DystopiaX said:

Obviously.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Winternet

@ryanwho said:

T-shirt that!

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By sixpin

@ProfessorEss said:

@Nate said:

@spookyfaust said:

Get ready for disappointment guys. I was told by an insider that despite an iron sword weighing 10, you can still jump 6 high. Ridiculous.

Wait... they expect us to believe that a person can jump 6 sandwiches high!? They are seriously dumbing these games down for the kiddies.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Origina1Penguin

The developers probably lean more towards game balancing than they do realism with the encumbrance / inventory system. Your character can still run with 200+ pounds and there is no space restriction either (so you could carry like 50 daggers or something). You can't complain about one aspect without complaining about the others as well. And if the inventory was changed completely, it would make for a very different game (probably less fun for the majority of players). But the Elder Scrolls games have a decent PC mod community that make changes like that for the players who want them.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By natetodamax

They obviously don't measure things in pounds. I just say something is 10 units, instead of 10 pounds.

ToRo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ToRo

@ryanwho: For real son. Anyways wait for a UI overhaul. Like oblivion, I pretty much said "fuck it" to encumbrance and downloaded a mod to remove it. Why give me all that stuff if I can't carry it? In my opinion it was a way to artificially lengthen the game. So your in the middle of a cave looting session, you reached your allotted weight and are too low a level to use feather spells or not apt at making potions. You drop one of the items so you can fast travel to the nearest town to sell all the stuff to find out that the merchant doesn't have enough money to buy all your shit. And since your only level 8 your not opulent enough to buy a house, so you have no chest to store your shit.

All of this is remedied with a good mod here and there but it's little things like that that hinder this game a bit.

But alas I will still play the shit out of Skyrim, as I did with Oblivion, vexing development choices be damned.

soapcell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By soapcell

@ProfessorEss: to be fair, it's not set on planet Earth.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ProfessorEss

@TheHBK said:

I think it is unrealistic the Dragon was not encumbered.

OMG HAX!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.