Vampirism in Skyrim will "transform how the game is played"

• 51 results
#1 Posted by DaemonBlack (342 posts) -

Apparently Todd Howard was talking to G4 about vampirism and in the interview he said that becoming a Vampire will "completely transform how the game is played." At this point, all we know is that to become a vampire in Skyrim you have to catch the disease from an enemy vampire, much like in Oblivion.

He didn't say what exactly would be completely changed in game play other than taking sun damage and becoming more powerful as the disease progresses. Like in Oblivion, the player can feed on sleeping NPCs to control the level of vampirism.

All in all it seems to be exactly how it was in Oblivion. Maybe more specific details will come out closer to launch, but how do you guys feel about this? Were any of you hoping for a dramatic change to vampirism?

Source:

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/716230/skyrim-vampires-confirmed-drink-blood-avoid-sunlight-and-fingers-crossed-bite-dragons/

#2 Posted by Crash_Happy (671 posts) -

It would be great if they made it so the game responded more to your condition. They could have vampire specific quests and even have you able to finish some differently if you are a vampire.

I can only hope.

#3 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

I just hope it's either harder to catch or easier to cure...

#4 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

yeah you can't play in the sunlight.

#5 Edited by themangalist (1735 posts) -

Well the same could be said about Oblivion's vampirism. It did change how the game was played, it's just not the way that the majority of us would prefer to play. Those are none but empty words.

#6 Posted by ricetopher (1046 posts) -

I want lycanthropy back. That shit was awesome in the Bloodmoon expansion of Morrowind.

#7 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

As long as there is a way to cure it I'm fine...

"Glares at GOTY edition of Oblivion"

#8 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10997 posts) -

Can you just carry around an umbrella to block the sun? Or where a big hat? 

#9 Edited by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

The real question is: can I be a were-boar? 

#10 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

I hope it will make you sparkle.

#11 Posted by Crash_Happy (671 posts) -

@themangalist said:

Well the same could be said about Oblivion's vampirism. It did change how the game was played, it's just not the way that the majority of us would prefer to play. Those are none but empty words.

Yes unfortunately. It sounds hopeful, but really may just be some developer smoke and mirrors. I'll be crossing my fingers since if it was done well, it would be great. And yes Lycanthropy would also be awesome. These things are bread and butter for sword and sorcery and yet missing from just about every fantasy rpg out there.

#12 Posted by Doctorchimp (4076 posts) -

@ricetopher said:

I want lycanthropy back. That shit was awesome in the Bloodmoon expansion of Morrowind.

Yes, that's the one I want for sure.

Especially if it doesn't happen every night and only like once a month that'd be great.

#13 Posted by Crash_Happy (671 posts) -

@Doctorchimp: Do you prefer your Lycanthropy to eventually allow you control over your transformation?

So anyone know, does Vampirism in TES grant Shape Shifting?

#14 Posted by natetodamax (19205 posts) -

Well, becoming a vampire in Oblivion completely changed how the game was played in that it made it no fun to play.

#15 Posted by President_Barackbar (3462 posts) -

I wish Elder Scrolls vampirism wasn't backwards (vampires should get WEAKER if they don't feed, not stronger!)

#16 Posted by Doctorchimp (4076 posts) -

@Crash_Happy said:

@Doctorchimp: Do you prefer your Lycanthropy to eventually allow you control over your transformation?

So anyone know, does Vampirism in TES grant Shape Shifting?

Well that would be cool, like after awhile you could change when you need to. But in Morrowind you had a choice of going werewolf and being super savage or you could get an amulet and transform once a day when you need to. Although it was less powerful than the real werewolf transformation.

And no Vampirism in The Elder Scrolls doesn't let shape shift into animals, that would be crazy. You can go all Dracula with charm and magic though, although if you weren't careful you'd just be a monster.

#17 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

"Completely transforms how the game is played" sounds like some PR smoke and mirrors. I can't help but be skeptical and cynical when I hear phrases like that anymore.

#18 Posted by Zolfe (262 posts) -

It is kinda smoke and mirrors, but they aren't really lying, in Oblivion it would change the game, by doing the same things stated in the OP.
It's nothing complex design-wise, but it did change how the game felt and played

#19 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -

I want to be a werewolf....

#20 Posted by joshth (505 posts) -

I would definitley love if they added like a whole quest line or like vampire clan that you can join. I believe Morrowind had something along these lines?

#21 Posted by the_red_mage (146 posts) -

@natetodamax said:

Well, becoming a vampire in Oblivion completely changed how the game was played in that it made it no fun to play.
 I don't know about Oblivion but I did the whole vampire thing back in Morrowind and yeah the game kinda stopped being fun.  So I agree on ^THIS.
#22 Posted by Landon (4143 posts) -

It would be nice if becoming a Vampire made the game fun in a different way. Like, you would be able to collect blood off of animals and humans you killed for later use. And it would make the nights longer so you wouldn't have to worry about the sun coming up constantly. And it gave you super speed and strength, but you needed to drink blood every so many hours or your powers would start to fade.  

If it's just going to be the same bullcrap that was in Oblivion, they shouldn't even bother putting it in.

#23 Posted by Farmer (328 posts) -

I don't really understand why most people dislike vampirism. It's easy enough to control that the stat bonuses are well worth the disadvantages.

#24 Edited by redbliss (647 posts) -

That sounds great. I never tried being a vampire in Oblivion because it didnt seem worth it. At least it's good to see that stuff is back. Maybe I will try it out in Skyrim if the changes are significant. It would be cool if they put werewolves in the game, too.

#25 Posted by DaemonBlack (342 posts) -

@President_Barackbar said:

I wish Elder Scrolls vampirism wasn't backwards (vampires should get WEAKER if they don't feed, not stronger!)

I would agree with this. Feeding in all reality in Oblivion actually makes you weaker. Even though logic would dictate that you would be empowered by drinking blood.

The only benefit to feeding for me was that I didn't look like a 90 year old man anymore...

#26 Posted by TheChaos (1158 posts) -
@DaemonBlack said:

the player can feed on sleeping NPCs to control the level of vampirism.

This is bullshit, that trait is unique to the strain of vampirism in Cyrodiil
The vampires of Skyrim shouldn't be able to go out in the daylight at all. 
Unless it's completely cloudy out, which I could see being pretty common what with all the snow up there.
#27 Posted by Hailinel (24710 posts) -

I just wish it wasn't nigh impossible to play Oblivion with a vampire that hadn't fed in a long while.

#28 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3204 posts) -

I just hope guards don't automatically catch you after feeding. It would make vampirism impossible to play.

#29 Posted by Brians (1462 posts) -

I would like it to be fun to play as a vampire but that is probably asking too much.

#30 Posted by _Nuno_ (183 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Second that!

#31 Posted by HistoryInRust (6307 posts) -

So, here's the thing.

I basically played as a vampire my entire time in Oblivion. You got strength boosts and magic boosts and were resistant to disease (though you were weak to flame, which itself wasn't an extreme impediment) and a free Night Eye/Detect Life spell. People complain about the feeding, but you only needed to feed when you slept. And you only needed to sleep when you leveled up. If you didn't use the Wait feature or sleep to pass time, Vampirism was basically a free set of buffs with little-to-no trade off.

It didn't "break the game" or anything dramatic like people claim it did, but I never saw any actual reason why one shouldn't aim to contract Vampirism as quickly as possible and ride it out to the end of their playthrough.

So, sure. Bring Vampirism back. I'd maybe like to see a larger balance between advantages and drawbacks to the disease, but otherwise I'm more or less apathetic to its inclusion.

#32 Posted by Doctorchimp (4076 posts) -

@Farmer said:

I don't really understand why most people dislike vampirism. It's easy enough to control that the stat bonuses are well worth the disadvantages.

Except that the stat bonuses were super minor when you were well-fed, +5 to Strength and Speed? And if I don't feed to get a higher vampire level or just because I can't get to a sleeping person I get sun damaged and I can't fast travel?

It really wasn't worth it at all.

#33 Posted by niamahai (1405 posts) -

i just hope there is erotic soft moaning sounds when I suck blood.

#34 Posted by christ0phe (952 posts) -
@cstrang said:

I just hope it's either harder to catch or easier to cure...

#35 Edited by Farmer (328 posts) -
@Doctorchimp
Feed to get quests and interact with merchants, then wait until you're proper vampiric to start a dungeon. It takes a little bit of planning, like fast travelling the map in sections, but when you can control what level of vampire you are with ease, the 20% bonus to some very important skills and attributes is absolutely worth it.

Worst case scenario, you are being chased around in a dungeon by enemies you can't defeat. The only way out is through the front door, where it may be daytime. But a few emergency potions and a heal spell make this almost a null issue.

@HistoryInRust: Exactly.
#36 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3501 posts) -

I think it is kind of funny how you "catch" vampirism in TES; they don't actually bite you. I just hope it is handled a bit more elegantly in Skyrim.

#37 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4798 posts) -
@Landon said:
It would be nice if becoming a Vampire made the game fun in a different way. Like, you would be able to collect blood off of animals and humans you killed for later use. And it would make the nights longer so you wouldn't have to worry about the sun coming up constantly. And it gave you super speed and strength, but you needed to drink blood every so many hours or your powers would start to fade.   If it's just going to be the same bullcrap that was in Oblivion, they shouldn't even bother putting it in.
That's actually pretty ingenious. You should probably fire off an email to Bethesda. 

They probably won't see it, or listen, or implement the idea, but it's still a damn good one.
#38 Posted by Guttlesswonder (26 posts) -
@ricetopher

Totally agree. That quest line is my favorite of the last two ES games. Plus, it would fit well with the landscapes they have shown so far in Skyrim.
#39 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

Incidentally, I believe that my apartment block might be full of werewolves...

Cant wait for this game!

#40 Posted by Crash_Happy (671 posts) -

@President_Barackbar said:

I assume this was a gameplay thing. You had to balance it between buffs and how Vampy you looked (no sparkle there).

The alternative of course would be that you would just have players feeding all the time, and then when you went out dungeoneering you would get weaker and weaker until you couldn't complete. The way around they have it, you actually got progressively stronger, so were less likely to be forced into failing a quest due to being too weak secondary to your condition.

Also, +1 for erotic moaning!

#41 Posted by Jaqen_HGhar (895 posts) -

If they do it like it was in Morrowind it can be more interesting than Oblivion Vampires at least. There you would die if out in the sun for too long, everyone hated you (besides the Mages Guild and the Telvanni), and you got the bonuses of one of three clans. The clan depended on which clan the vampire that infected you belonged to. And those clans got quests for you.

So it changed how the game was played quite significantly, as you could do nothing to disguise yourself as a normal person. Sure, this can be really bad and not fun, but if you want to change it up some it makes for interesting gameplay.

#42 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1594 posts) -

I became a vampire in Oblivion just so I could to the vampiric cure quest then I never wanted to be a vampire again

#43 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

Playing through Oblivion, didn't the fiction say that clans of vampires in different regions had different powers? Maybe vampires are treated differently in Skyrim; was there any difference from Morrowind?

#44 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Hopefully he means added stuff, but it sounded just like Oblivion.

#45 Posted by Krrutch (154 posts) -

todd always is one to big stuff up in that kinda 'what ive seen the team do so far is amazing, and you'll love it etc etc etc' way which is fair enough, but will wait before getting really excited

#46 Posted by AndrewB (7611 posts) -

That's what they said about Oblivion. The big way it changes the game is that you die in sunlight, so you travel at night, thus missing out on the awesome daytime HDR lighting stuff.

#47 Edited by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

Statement seems to vague too really mean anything.

#48 Posted by Red12b (9084 posts) -
@Mr_Skeleton said:

i laughed 
#49 Posted by Stealthmaster86 (654 posts) -

@Farmer said:

Not being able to walk in the sun is a pretty massive disadvantage.

#50 Posted by FreakAche (2953 posts) -

I kind of don't buy that. It will probably just have the same effects on the gameplay that it did in previous games, which is to say it will be more trouble than it's worth.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.