Warriors: Which weapon perk? Axes, Swords or Maces?

#1 Posted by Wuddel (2082 posts) -

So I am not even sure if I want to take any of those. But which seems to work well? I am currently still using the 1hand sword from the Companions quest (Skyforge Steel Sword), and I like their speed as I am uncontrollably whacking on dragons. The axes bleed effect seems pretty good, but often in RPGs tons of enemies are immune to that. What do you think?

#2 Posted by Doctorchimp (4073 posts) -

Really just go for the one you like.

I went two-handed, but 30% critical hit seemed a lot better than the other two perks and swords are slightly faster than axes and maces.

#3 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

I'm sure no one has figured it out yet, but I imagine armor penetration will end up being the best at a certain amount of armor (or it will end up being useless), axes will be the best for unarmored targets with lots of health (or it will be useless), and swords will win out on other targets.  You never really can tell with these things.  I went with swords for aesthetic reasons.

#4 Posted by Wuddel (2082 posts) -

@EvilTwin said:

I'm sure no one has figured it out yet, but I imagine armor penetration will end up being the best at a certain amount of armor (or it will end up being useless), axes will be the best for unarmored targets with lots of health (or it will be useless), and swords will win out on other targets. You never really can tell with these things. I went with swords for aesthetic reasons.

Yeah. The thing is that as a warrior you only really have problems with heavy magic users, which tend to wear only a bit of armor. I might ignore this perk completely.

#5 Posted by Stahlbrand (836 posts) -

I'm loving 2h warhammers, huge damage, and the perk is to ignore a foe's armour resistance to a certain percent (20/40/60% IIRC). And the standing power attack seems to crumple shield users really well, and make dragons do a big flinch if hit in the face with it.

I can blow through armored tough guys like Bandit Chiefs and Bandit Plunderers, so I'm pretty happy with it.

I like doing fewer, bigger hits, rather than slash-slash-slashing, but that is my personal preference.

#6 Posted by Robo (789 posts) -

I went with swords. that crit bonus is just too good to pass up.

Also when I think of dragon slayer I immediately think "sword"

#7 Posted by ragnarok7038 (50 posts) -

Personally, I went with axes. It was pretty much just an aesthetic thing for me, because a fierce Nord wielding an impressive two-handed axe is a mighty thing. I do, however, like the idea of it being right in the middle of speed and damage, and about 20 hours in it has served me well. Also, when I got to choose my weapon at the Skyforge, Eorlund commented, "Just like Ysgramor" or something along those lines, and it made me feel like a champ.

#8 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

You'll have to play the game to know which is the "best weapon" generally speaking, also there isn't that much of a difference, just pick one that looks the coolest to you. By stats so far i think it's swords. You gain quite a nice critical hit chance, they swing fastest and look cool. Axes i think are in between when it comes to speed, they cause bleeding which leads me to believe that they aren't as useful against armored targets. And finally maces which are slowest, but are able to penetrate armor. Then again, most enemies I've faced so far have light to no armor (I'm level 25). So I'd say that swords are a safe bet. Did i mention they look cool? 

#9 Posted by Deadmanforking (574 posts) -

Right now I have 2 points in Mace, and 1 in sword. Kinda wish I didn't put the point into swords due to the fact I never use them. I always find awesome maces, and I don't mind the slow part they hit friggen hard man.

#10 Posted by jmrwacko (2443 posts) -

I prefer the swords for weapon speed and increased critical strike. If you use elemental fury, you'll be dealing ridiculous amounts of crits and totally tear through enemies.

In a shameless fit of self-promotion, take a look at this:

#11 Posted by Gav47 (1542 posts) -

I was using a Mace for a while but it swings far to slowly so I switched to a one handed steel Axe.

#12 Posted by bunnymud (717 posts) -

I went with sword/mace because I also use magic and need the free hand

#13 Posted by Tesla (1916 posts) -

Two handed swords, axes, and hammers for me. I haven't casted a single spell or used a shield once in my time with the game.

Right now I am enjoying an enchanted battle ax that makes people flee. That plus the bleeding effect perk means a lot of wacking dudes and watching my companion chase after them to administer the coup de grace.

#14 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I'm rolling with an elven greatsword right now. Axes and hammers go awesome damage, but I could only get like 2-3 hits off before my stamina was gone.

It's worth experimenting with power attack timing. Often, you can begin a sprint and a power attack and have the hit connect most of the way across the room. This way, you don't have enemies wailing on you as you go through your swing animation.

#15 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I don't think that I'm going to commit to just one of them; as an occasional dual-wielder, speed is not an issue now that I've unlocked Dual Flurry. Sometimes I equip Bound Sword to my right hand and a Fine Glass Mace to my left. I use the mace's power attack to stagger my opponents/ ignore their armor rating, then I use my sword's speed to finish them off while they're recovering.

#16 Posted by Dagbiker (6956 posts) -

I went with 1 handed maces, but there is only like one perk in that catigory.

#17 Posted by Veektarius (4741 posts) -

I dual-wield axes, less because of the bleeding perk (though that's pretty good against high health targets like dragons) and more because it's light enough to kill mages and heavy enough to stagger a guy's guard better than a sword. At least, I thought that made a difference.

#18 Posted by Stahlbrand (836 posts) -

I wonder if dragons and some other beasts with thick shells or scales count as having an armor rating for the purposes of the 'skull crusher' perk, any clues?

#19 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

The critical hit is really nice when it happens. I've only spent one point on the specializations, not sure if I will spend any more.

#20 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

Is it not possible to skip those perks?

#21 Posted by MidgardDragon (152 posts) -

I've been quite bad about focusing so I've spent them on whatever weapon I've had at the moment (maces or swords, never really went for axes or two-handed weapons).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.