Weapons Don't Degrade. (No More Repairing your Weapons)

#51 Posted by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

This is great news

#52 Posted by yinstarrunner (1171 posts) -

Always has been done poorly in TES. Good for them.

#53 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5117 posts) -

Damn it, they broke the game!

#54 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7612 posts) -

Can't say this change inparticular bothers me a lot.. But I'm not happy with the continuing removal of skills, depth and the general simplification of the game. If it makes the experience better, okay.. but it just sounds like more dumbing down of the series to me. I personally liked the role playing elements and having to keep weapons and armour in good condition. I don't want to see the Elder Scrolls become nothing more than a linear action game.

#55 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

YES YES YES now remove inventory management and I will kill for this game!

#56 Posted by President_Barackbar (3344 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

Can't say this change inparticular bothers me a lot.. But I'm not happy with the continuing removal of skills, depth and the general simplification of the game. If it makes the experience better, okay.. but it just sounds like more dumbing down of the series to me. I personally liked the role playing elements and having to keep weapons and armour in good condition. I don't want to see the Elder Scrolls become nothing more than a linear action game.

I'm sure if you play it on PC there will be plenty of mods that add the complexity back in. That's the beauty of modding.

#57 Posted by Intro (1191 posts) -

@Winger said:

Hardcore PC gamers will have it in the game if they want to, if you get what i'm saying.

For a lot of PC gamers, half of the game's stuff will changed once the mods start coming out lol.

#58 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7612 posts) -

@President_Barackbar: I'm not so into modding. If the developers can't deliver a decent gaming experience out of the box, I have plenty of other games I can play.

#59 Posted by President_Barackbar (3344 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

@President_Barackbar: I'm not so into modding. If the developers can't deliver a decent gaming experience out of the box, I have plenty of other games I can play.

That's your prerogative I suppose, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't think you were missing out.

#60 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -
@believer258 said:
The exact opposite reaction I expected.  ... but I agree, I am so glad that they're removing armor degradation.
#61 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

Oh hell yes!!

#62 Posted by UnrealDP (1217 posts) -

Dude, i'm now so amped for Skyrim! Not to say that was the thing holding me back, it's just that this means i don't have to be OCD about everything i ever use ever in Skyrim!

#63 Edited by Melvargh (479 posts) -

Awesome. I didn't hate it (mastered armourer and got that sweet bonus), but I'm not gonna miss it.

@imsh_pl: 2112 posts. Rock on.

#64 Posted by Enigma777 (6047 posts) -

Great. I'm under the moto that the more you use a weapon, the better it should get, not vice versa.

#65 Posted by Jaqen_HGhar (787 posts) -

Great! I always thought it was silly that you could only repair armor and weapons with your Armorer skill. So this is a good change!

#66 Posted by onarum (1945 posts) -

AWESOME!!!ONEONE11 next step the win button, you press it and win the game.

#67 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I don't care either way.
All there is to weapon degrading is you doing less damage, you spending more money on repairs instead of cool new stuff and more trips back to a town to repair your shit.
Some might call it streamlining or dumbing down, I just find it a lot more fun.

Remember, the magic is in the exploration, the combat and the story, not in getting murdered by a random goblin cus your +1 dagger of goblin wimpiness broke.

#68 Posted by JP_Russell (1171 posts) -

Good.  Traditional item durability is nonsensical game design.  It doesn't teach the player any real discipline, and it doesn't create limitations that have any real purpose.  The purpose of repairing items in ES games is to keep them from breaking or becoming less effective, and the purpose of them becoming less effective is for you to have to repair them.  It's a self-perpetuating, tedious cycle of a mechanic that exists to justify a skill which makes that cycle less tedious.

#69 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11005 posts) -

Considering how totally stupid weapon degradation is, I'm totally cool with them taking it out.

#70 Posted by Devilb0y (131 posts) -
@Origina1Penguin said:

@gorkamorkaorka: The example was for giving a general idea and I never said sword. But you're right, it would be great if damage values were determined by taking into account the weapon being used against the type of creature.

I might be mis-remembering this, but don't they already do that? I have a distinct recollection of crushing weapons (axe, hammer etc) doing more damage to skeletons than piercing ones (blades) in Morrowind.

Also, it's not so much the actual idea of maintaining equipment I found tiresome so much as the fact that the way it was implemented was dumb. I mean, why can't my character whip out a whet stone and sharpen his sword for fifteen minutes before he sleeps so that every time I wake up his gear is fresh?
#71 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

I hate it when people make threads where the main body ends in "Thoughts?" It's lazy.

I didn't play Oblivion extensively so I don't really care about this.

#72 Posted by icarusflies77 (40 posts) -

FINALLY. That was SO annoying in the last game.

#73 Posted by JP_Russell (1171 posts) -
@Devilb0y said:
@Origina1Penguin said:

@gorkamorkaorka: The example was for giving a general idea and I never said sword. But you're right, it would be great if damage values were determined by taking into account the weapon being used against the type of creature.

I might be mis-remembering this, but don't they already do that? I have a distinct recollection of crushing weapons (axe, hammer etc) doing more damage to skeletons than piercing ones (blades) in Morrowind.

Nope.  Blunt weapons having native bonuses against the undead is common in fantasy games, but Morrowind didn't do anything like that.
#74 Posted by NTM (7033 posts) -
@believer258: Far Cry 3 isn't going to be like Far Cry 2. I don't think you'll go to a store to upgrade and buy new weapons, they're going with a more linear yet still open design. Kind of like how Crysis was, so to expect or assume such a thing is... well, ignorant? Just saying, don't expect FC3 to be anything like FC2, other than the graphics engine (though updated), and the fact its an FPS. 

Anyways, about Elder Scrolls, that's awesome news.
#75 Posted by Lnin0 (127 posts) -

I wish they could just make these games play themselves. So tedious having to play them and shit.

#76 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

less annoying shit is good

#77 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Lnin0 said:
I wish they could just make these games play themselves. So tedious having to play them and shit.
Your not really upset about this, right?
#78 Posted by bobafettjm (1254 posts) -

This makes me happy.

#79 Posted by Badhands (399 posts) -

I actually really liked that aspect of the game.... I'm going to be that guy, FUCKING DUMBED DOWN CONSOLE SELL OUT PIECES OF SHIT. Now that that's out of my system, I actually played Oblivion and Morrowind on console years before PC. I will still probably love the hell out of this game but I wish they would keep a few more of the things that have been in Elder scrolls for.... forever.

#80 Posted by TheHT (10281 posts) -

GOOD.

gtfo with that shit.

#81 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Badhands said:
I actually really liked that aspect of the game.... I'm going to be that guy, FUCKING DUMBED DOWN CONSOLE SELL OUT PIECES OF SHIT. Now that that's out of my system, I actually played Oblivion and Morrowind on console years before PC. I will still probably love the hell out of this game but I wish they would keep a few more of the things that have been in Elder scrolls for.... forever.
don't be that guy
#82 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -
@Melvargh said:

Awesome. I didn't hate it (mastered armourer and got that sweet bonus), but I'm not gonna miss it.

Well, there's a chance a similar bonus will come with the Smithing skill in Skyrim ... only now the actual skill itself will be useful for making some sweet new weapons and armour. 
#83 Edited by Tru3_Blu3 (3152 posts) -

I found weapon degrade to be a satisfying feature. Going into an Oblivion gate with armor at 39% with high-level monsters around the corner was very intense and made you feel like an injured, relentless bad-ass. The fact that we're going to fight fucking dragons unscathed is going to be stupid. You save a damned city from a dragon, resulting in an injured hero in need a downtime. You heal yourself and repair your armor with your well earned money, ready for the next battle ahead.

I'm sorry Bethesda, but you catering to the CoD kiddies is ruining your reputation.

#84 Posted by sungahymn (981 posts) -

Yay.
I heard about this yesterday though.

#85 Posted by Cloudenvy (5890 posts) -

@Tru3_Blu3 said:

but you catering to the CoD kiddies is ruining your reputation.

Hahahahaha :3

#86 Posted by Intro (1191 posts) -

@Tru3_Blu3 said:

I found weapon degrade to be a satisfying feature. Going into an Oblivion gate with armor at 39% with high-level monsters around the corner was very intense and made you feel like an injured, relentless bad-ass. The fact that we're going to fight fucking dragons unscathed is going to be stupid. You save a damned city from a dragon, resulting in an injured hero in need a downtime. You heal yourself and repair your armor with your well earned money, ready for the next battle ahead.

Ya I agree. I don't know why they keep removing RPG elements. I guess if it's more simple the game's better.

#87 Posted by Storms (341 posts) -
I'm going to have to play like 600 hours before I stop thinking  "Hey, look at me, I have an inexplicably invincible sword. And when I switch to a staff, I have an invincible staff. I guess this is jsut a Dragonborn power". A lot of streamlining isn't the dumbing down some people make it out to be, but this legitimately is. Slowing down the rate of degradation, I could understand. Making weapons and armor magically indestructible? That just hurts the RP feel.

@gorkamorkaorka said: 
I don't have any problem repairing my weapons if it's done right. "This game has too much dialogue" usually means it's BAD dialogue. "This _____ system is too complicated" usually means it's UNINTERESTING.

No, they respectively mean "I don't like to read, I like layzers" and "point and shoot is the only thing simple enough to grab my attention".

@Lnin0 said: 
I know, right? It's so inconvenient to have to level up and stuff.

@onarum said:
AWESOME!!!ONEONE11 next step the win button, you press it and win the game.
Great idea! 
#88 Posted by firewrkninja (227 posts) -
@krazy_kyle said:
Finally! It would have been better if you were required to sharpen your blades every now and again instead of the weapon actually breaking every 10 mins but still, no repairs makes me happy :D
i think if they just made it take a really long time before you had to sharpen it or make it have to be repaired after being hit with a hammer against a rock and all bent up and mangled and stuff, that would have been cooler
#89 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

i like this actually it was annoying in oblivion to have to repair weapons a lot, since innever speced repair it was coslty too.

#90 Posted by DaemonBlack (342 posts) -

@Tru3_Blu3 said:

I found weapon degrade to be a satisfying feature. Going into an Oblivion gate with armor at 39% with high-level monsters around the corner was very intense and made you feel like an injured, relentless bad-ass. The fact that we're going to fight fucking dragons unscathed is going to be stupid. You save a damned city from a dragon, resulting in an injured hero in need a downtime. You heal yourself and repair your armor with your well earned money, ready for the next battle ahead. I'm sorry Bethesda, but you catering to the CoD kiddies is ruining your reputation.

I doubt they are losing reputation when the vast majority of people seem relieved the system is gone. And if they are visiting Skyrim forums they probably aren't "CoD kiddies"

#91 Posted by Divina_Rex (351 posts) -

It's mixed for me, but mostly leaning in favor of no degradation. I liked having to repair armor and weapons because if it's taking hits and knicks I would have to repair it, but I NEVER liked have my repair hammers break. That was always a nuisance, since its a hammer and how often does a hammer break in real life, and having 5 pounds reserved for just hammers was bullshit  . So to me the pros out weigh the cons.  

#92 Edited by Tru3_Blu3 (3152 posts) -

I think they should add a new stat to weapons called "piercing" where swords and axes have high piercing power and can injure unarmored enemies and can penetrate the surface of armored ones, but at the cost of it being dull during use and its piercing power degrading. Maces, however, have low piercing but break shields, smack weapons out of hands, and knock enemies backwards. Thing is, it will have low damage against heavily armored foes with the positive being that you don't have to worry about repair.

#93 Posted by Storms (341 posts) -

You guys are only going to have yourselves to blame when you complain about feature removal in future games. 

There was no reason to remove this any more than there's a reason to remove the thousands of lines of dialogue that exasperate certain types of gamers. You could file dialogue under the same category, "tediousm annoying and booooring".

#94 Posted by JoeyRavn (4886 posts) -

@Badhands said:

I actually really liked that aspect of the game.... I'm going to be that guy, FUCKING DUMBED DOWN CONSOLE SELL OUT PIECES OF SHIT. Now that that's out of my system, I actually played Oblivion and Morrowind on console years before PC. I will still probably love the hell out of this game but I wish they would keep a few more of the things that have been in Elder scrolls for.... forever.

Can't tell if serious.

#95 Posted by OtakuGamer (1182 posts) -

I never liked that feature, so this is plus for me.

#96 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Download the mod that adds it back in week 1. 

#97 Posted by Ping5000 (385 posts) -

The rest of the tweet talks about more in-depth smithing and crafting, so it's not like they're throwing away repair and then being done with this aspect of the game. It's a refocus and calling this decision as "dumbing down" is, I think, a little silly.

#98 Posted by SMTDante89 (2471 posts) -

Well I'm happy.

#99 Posted by yinstarrunner (1171 posts) -
@Yanngc33
YES YES YES now remove inventory management and I will kill for this game!
Theres a plethora of games out there without inventory management for you to play and enjoy. maybe RPGs just aren't for you.
#100 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1760 posts) -

Degrading weapons suck. This is awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.