What class have you chosen and why?

• 142 results
#1 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
#2 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Edit: Oops, I meant races.

I usually go for the safest dullest race/class in RPGs - Human/citizen (or Nord) Warrior, but this time around I wanted to try something a little different.

Archery looked great in the footage I've seen, so I went with the Wood Elf. He can also sneak and lockpick well, so that's good. 
I hope I can upgrade my character to be powerful enough with swords and spell combat, while focusing on his specialties. 

Not sure if the "Command Animals" power will be useful enough for me to use it frequently.. Here's hoping I'll get into a lot of fights with bears nearby!

#3 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I chose Nord because I'm swedish

#4 Posted by Chaser324 (6325 posts) -

I'm pretty much playing as a warrior-style Nord. Though, it seems like your race doesn't really force you down any specific gameplay path. You could just as easily turn a Nord into a mage or rogue.

#5 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

Nord seemed safest.

#6 Posted by Doctorchimp (4069 posts) -

Orc.

Ever since they released what they looked like I was impressed. So I went Orc.

#7 Posted by Dots (114 posts) -

I'm a rogueish nord, and I'm a nord because I'm norwegian.

#8 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Nord, because that's how we roll in the Shire.

#9 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

When I get it I'm being one of the elves, not sure which. I'm going stealth/archer, so it seems appropriate.

#10 Posted by TopSteer (638 posts) -

I went with an Argonian. They've always been my favorite race in these games.

#11 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

I choose Redguard because it looks badass.

#12 Posted by Butano (1728 posts) -

Imperial, like usual. Mostly for the charm spell, but finding extra gold is a nice plus!

#13 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

I've always rolled Nord first, so I didn't see why not to this time. Two-handing weapons seems fun enough, but I'm already looking forward to archery or magic on other characters.

#14 Posted by AndyD74 (169 posts) -

I too chose Redguard for the built-in resistance to poison and yeah because he looked badass, lol.

#15 Posted by Liber (648 posts) -

I shoot fire from my right hand and lightning from my left hand, I also summon fire demons that shoot more fire.

I am Imperial.

#16 Posted by jelekeloy (456 posts) -

I went Imperial because it seemed to be the most well-rounded and I'm not entirely sure how I want to play yet.

#17 Posted by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

Khajit so I can experience both racism and the joy of shooting dudes with arrows.

#18 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2450 posts) -

Command animal is so useless since there's a dragon shout that will command multiple animals and is useable more than once a day.

#19 Posted by Spoonman671 (4560 posts) -

High Elf.  Because fireballs.

#20 Posted by SteveRodgers (13 posts) -

i first chose redgaurd so that i could be Mr. T

#21 Posted by Hailinel (23901 posts) -

Nord, because HACK SLASH KILL.

#22 Posted by matt_wickstrom (156 posts) -

I chose to be a Khajilt. They seemed like a good option for a stealth character.

#23 Posted by byterunner (300 posts) -

Imperial, Jack of all trades I assume from the description.

Also Gold, lots of it.

And I could make him look like a badass nord anyways :P

#24 Posted by tehkingofjokers (71 posts) -

Anyone else choose Breton? I've been rolling around Skyrim with a Spell Knight (Destruction/Heavy Armour/One-Handed) I feel like a bad ass rolling around the land with a hood and full steel armour!

#25 Posted by Matoya (416 posts) -

Argonian, because I'm not a loser.

#26 Posted by MaddProdigy (1041 posts) -

I chose Imperial, because it's described as a kind of middle road "skilled in both combat and magicka" and because getting a little extra gold tends to help in most games.

Frankly, I was tempted to spend a large amount of time researching online what the most useful of the classes would be. The reptile that can breathe underwater and is resistant to poisons sounded useful, but I wasn't sure how useful so I chose a more reliable fighting character. I wasn't interested in being an archer/magic user first time through so High Elf and Wood elf were off the list. I also didn't want to focus on melee necessarily, so Orc wasn't an option. The others seem to be balances in between.

I chose the most middle of the road character I could for my first time through the game. Already I know I'll be making a High Elf second time through.

#27 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Nord, because they are good with two-handed swords and the fear sounded useful (and it was against the first Frost Troll I encountered). Edit: I wanted to go Orc ever since I saw the first screenshot of one, but the fact that they are good with heavy armor made them a no-go for me. Sticking with light armor for sure, at least for this playthrough.

#28 Edited by Raineko (433 posts) -

Nord because my ancestors were nordic and every other race looks absolutely horrendous without exception.

Bethesda why the hell can't you hire some good designers? Your character models look ass and have always looked ass!

#29 Posted by GJSmitty (651 posts) -

Argonian of course.

Argonians are amazing and look badass.

Also, breathing under water is nice

#30 Posted by AlexW00d (6185 posts) -

Dunmer. Always Dunmer.

#31 Posted by Spartacus714 (14 posts) -

I'm Thor, bitches!

^My Nord's warcry

#32 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Redguard

#33 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

Argonan, because Lizzard people are cool

#34 Posted by hwy_61 (922 posts) -

Argonian, because he can breathe underwater and he's a lizard man.

#35 Posted by Inkerman (1449 posts) -
Dark Elf, cause I think they have a good balance of magic and swords 'n shit.
#36 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

I played a Dark Elf in Morrowind, an Imperial in Oblivion... and so I play a Nord in Skyrim. Original, I know,

#37 Posted by dudeglove (7688 posts) -

Doesn't matter what I am, I'm still gonna have my character run around nekkid.

#38 Posted by Deadmanforking (570 posts) -

Redgaurd, one handed and shield warrior.

#39 Posted by charliepage88 (1 posts) -

Wood Elf, just like oblivion a thief archer assassin pretty much.

#40 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1230 posts) -

Argonian, because they look amazing and are different. Racist terms I've been called so far:

lizard

''little elf'' (huge wtf on that one)

foreigner in THAT tone

It's nothing close to Morrowind yet, where I played as redguard and was called outlander about 500000000 time over the course of my massive 300 hour playthrough. But it is hilarious when people just straight up call you lizard.

#41 Posted by Dunchad (471 posts) -

Wanted a Kahjit for the nightvision, but they just look too weird. So I went with a bearded and very human-like Wood Elf with some scary facepaint.

Sneak attacks with bows are amazing and have allowed me to kill some rather difficult mobs (shoot, run away and hide, rinse and repeat) - my only problem is that dungeons take forever to crawl through.

#42 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

Dark Elf, because I never ever play thieves in RPGs and wanted to try out the playstyle. I must say there' nothing more satisfying than criting your enemy for x6 damage while sneaking from behind.

#43 Posted by Swick (222 posts) -

Argonian, because lizard-people are like people, just lizard-y.

#44 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2089 posts) -

I wanted to roll a Khajiit but i figured that they would be too weird for them to be a dragonborn, so i went with a Nord instead. i want to use my bow a lot more as want to be stealthy, but rolling around with dual maces is too good to pass right now, also, crouching along all the way to Riften from Whiterun is a bitch, but im levelling like a boss that way so it pays off in the end i guess.

#45 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

Breton because I wanted to make a magical character, and didn't wanna be some sissy elf.

#46 Posted by MsAtheism (35 posts) -

I went with Breton because of their bonuses to magic skills and their power! I think for my next playthrough I'll do something completely different.

#47 Posted by Matfei90 (1288 posts) -

Breton mage. First time playing either that race or that skill-focus in an Elder Scrolls game.

And I'm loving it so far.

#48 Posted by HistoryInRust (6274 posts) -

In all the past games I played a Dark Elf. Ended up choosing the Argonian this time around. So far it seems the race stuff is relatively inconsequential, which is nice in a way.

#49 Posted by Cathryn (545 posts) -

Breton battle mage right now, but we'll see if I decide to change things up

The flexibility in this game is pretty awesome.

#50 Edited by Animasta (14648 posts) -

I went with breton because they seemed to be the snobbiest race

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.