Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

What the hell is wrong with Steam on this game?

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Venatio

So I just bought the DISC version of this game and tried to install it but it still made me download the entire thing. Fucking stupid but alright. Several hours later I have but now it says that the game is unavailable, try again later

This is really starting to annoy me, can I do something about this? Anyone else having troubles? First time steam is making me really annoyed

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ShadowSkill11

I'm on the other side of the planet in Kuwait and the Steam version of the game works great for me. Your loss. I love Steam.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By AndrewB

It totally installed off the disc for me. Took about 10 minutes. That many gigs on release day would otherwise have taken hours.

The only thing it downloaded was a small patch, as far as I know.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Venatio

@ShadowSkill11 said:

I'm on the other side of the planet in Kuwait and the Steam version of the game works great for me. Your loss. I love Steam.

Hey I Iove Steam too, but not today. I bought the disc version so that I can have a physical copy for my collection and my map@AndrewB said:

It totally installed off the disc for me. Took about 10 minutes. That many gigs on release day would otherwise have taken hours.

The only thing it downloaded was a small patch, as far as I know.

Well unless the patch was 5.7 gigs it downloaded the game

I tried atleast 5 times to install from the disc, it just refused to do it

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By AndrewB

@Venatio: No, I can believe it. I've had the same thing happen while trying to restore games from Steam backup files.

Here's a possible solution for you from here:

Dunno about you guys but I was shocked and PISSED when I saw I had to download the freaking Skyrim game for PC even though I went and purchased the PHYSICAL copy of the damn game tonight! There just had to be a workaround for this and I luckily I found it. Stupid Steam making choices for us, screw that!
    https://support.steampowe...php?ref=5357-FSQM-0382Installing from Disc instead of SteamQuestion
    I try to install my retail game from the included disc(s), but the game begins downloading through Steam instead. What can be done?Answer
    Mac Users:If you are using a Mac, you will not be able to install from the disc. Please double-click on the game in your Library list to begin downloading and installing the software.Using Steam launch options to install retail games from disc
    • Right-click on the game, select Delete local content, and confirm.
    • Insert the first disc into your computer.
    • Close Steam (Steam > Exit).
    • Press Windows Key + R to open Run
    • In the Run window type:
    • "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -install E:
    Replace E: with the CD/DVD drive you are installing from if is not correct. Replace C:\Program Files\Steam if your Steam installation is not in the default location. Press OK. Steam will launch and ask you to sign in if you do not have your password saved. Your installation should continue from the disc.
    MY ADDITIONAL NOTE:The correct path for my Windows 7 64 install was"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -install D:

Oh, PC games...

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By FritzDude

Any game that is on a disc and goes through Steam will be installed off the disc. I've heard of this issue before (or similar) on other games for other users and they got it fixed by going to the disc drive and force the install from there, or something like that.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By AlexW00d

Did you put the disc in? Or did you enter the code first.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By bybeach

When I have done a disc game like rage, it downloaded it of the disc. Afterwards yes it is in steam's world if I delete from local disk, and then install from their site. Thats how I remember it, anyways. My first experience suprised me, I thought I somehow had 2 PC versions of the Orange Box, besides the 360 version I owned(the pc version came with my then newly bought computer).

tomshreds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By tomshreds

@Venatio: Everything went fine for me with the disc version as well... I'm sorry for you. It sucks donkey balls...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.