Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Whats so good about Skyrim?

• 150 results
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By DystopiaX

@Tennmuerti said:

@mandude said:

@Aronman789 said:

@JasonR86 said:

@mandude said:

It's still the Gamebryo engine, as far as I know.

No, it is not. It's a new engine, though I don't know the new name.

Creation Engine

Okay, now I'm even more excited. Here's to hoping the dialogue interface is more natural.

Creation Engine is simply a heavily reworked/modified Gamebryo There was an article some time ago with the quote from the developers that no they did not just create a new engine from scratch. But it sure as hell sounds better if marketing just tells everyone they ditched Gamebryo because everyone was starting to hate on it.

Dialogue is more natural, you can move around and shit and characters don't necessarily drop everything to stare at and talk to you.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#102  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @DystopiaX said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@mandude said:

@Aronman789 said:

@JasonR86 said:

@mandude said:

Creation Engine

Okay, now I'm even more excited. Here's to hoping the dialogue interface is more natural.

Creation Engine is simply a heavily reworked/modified Gamebryo There was an article some time ago with the quote from the developers that no they did not just create a new engine from scratch. But it sure as hell sounds better if marketing just tells everyone they ditched Gamebryo because everyone was starting to hate on it.

Dialogue is more natural, you can move around and shit and characters don't necessarily drop everything to stare at and talk to you.

Oh yeah they improved it a bit.
    I'm not arguing that at all.
    siaynoq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103  Edited By siaynoq

In regards to the hype around Skyrim, though, it's really not nearly as bad as the hype with say.....Diablo 3.

The game has less than a month to come out now, and so even if this was just another average game (which I think it won't be) you'd still see people starting to get excited for it around this point. I think Bethesda did a good job with the marketing of Skyrim. They didn't tell you about every single little thing they were doing along the way of development, and they knew how to just shut up for a long period of time and make their game because they have confidence in what they're doing.

I think they paid a lot of close attention to the feedback from Oblivion and Fallout 3. I think a lot of the shortcomings of those games will be gone from Skyrim. But granted, I'd also like to restrain my enthusiasm a bit. Cause I remember being so excited for Oblivion before it came out just based on how pretty the game looked.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By DystopiaX

@Tennmuerti said:

@DystopiaX said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@mandude said:

@Aronman789 said:

@JasonR86 said:

@mandude said:

Creation Engine

Oh yeah they improved it a bit. I'm not arguing that at all.

More to your point I think the way they phrased it is "no, it's not from scratch, but it's been so heavily modified it's unrecognizable". So while not technically new, one shouldn't use Gamebryo as a basis of performance of that engine just cause it's based off of it.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @DystopiaX said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@DystopiaX said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@mandude said:

@Aronman789 said:

@JasonR86 said:

@mandude said:

Creation Engine

More to your point I think the way they phrased it is "no, it's not from scratch, but it's been so heavily modified it's unrecognizable". So while not technically new, one shouldn't use Gamebryo as a basis of performance of that engine just cause it's based off of it.

Well I guess we will see how it does when the game comes out.
    I hope they really worked on it a lot, after all I'll be playing Skyrim  too :)
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By DystopiaX

@Tennmuerti: I still think it'll be broken as shit, not cause of the engines or cause Bethesda's engineers suck but just cause when you cram so much shit into one game something's bound to go wrong, often.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By mandude

Sweeeeeeeeeet.

Yeah, Oblivion was buggy as shit. More often than not it made me laugh my ass off though. I loved that one Orc who heroically leaped off a bridge everyday on his way home from work. Badass.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By superfriend

Not every freaking game has to be something entirely new. Get that out of your mind and you will enjoy games a lot more.

I don´t think any single game has ever improved an entire genre entirely on its own.. so that is probably also the wrong thing to expect.

You shouldn´t really need an explanation why Skyrim is such a highly anticipated game... it kinda speaks for itself. For me it´s the Elder Scrolls thing: They always try to build games that are just too ambitious and they always have soo much great stuff in them, even if they don´t work right a lot of the time. Just the thought of exploring these worlds, even without the rpg part, is enough to get me stoked about every new TES game. Keep in mind one thing though: These are unique games- and big ones too. So don´t try to rush it, take your time and explore. There´s just so much in these games, so many great little stories in the quests, books and even random notes. If you just do what Brad apparently did and play Oblivion for 30 hours as a loot-driven dungeon crawler.. god have mercy on your soul. It´s like missing out on the best stuff on purpose.

Yeah so I guess TES games are not for everybody. Some folks like their JRPGs, some just want to "ding" and powergame in an MMO, some want the (sometimes horribly forced) decisionmaking of Bioware games. There´s also the wannabe film critics who try to look for "character development" and "story structure" in a 200 hour game. All these folks will probably never get why TES is such a great thing. And you know what? I don´t really care, as long as they keep buying the games, even if they just play for 15 hours and then bitch about them on the forums. As long as everyone interested in Skyrim buys the game- Bethesda can continue making the games that I really like.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#109  Edited By awe_stuck

@Tennmuerti said:

@awe_stuck said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@awe_stuck said:

If your opinion is wrong

lol wut?

@awe_stuck said:

The AI was designed and made a little too advanced to the point Radiant AI had some of its algorithms disabled. Not a lot. But it did.

hahahahhahaaaa. Oh wow that was funny, thank you for that.

The Radiant AI is nothing more then some npc pathing and action patters. It was one of the most over hyped features before release, only to be criticized when people actually realized it was a bunch of hot air and npcs just follow their set routines after the game came out.

@awe_stuck said:

This was a great game because it allowed you to do soo much, and even taught you things.

This is new, do elaborate.

@awe_stuck said:

Most people who didnt love Oblivion was due to one reason - they played a Warrior.

I find this statement questionable. Any actual data to back this up?

Because if not, well then it's just pulling bullshit statements out of your ass.

If there is, I apologize of course.

@awe_stuck said:

Why would you play a warrior in a game about magic.

Show me where the developers have come out and said that Oblivion was all about magic. Gee they must have put all those other playstyles, skills, weapons, etc.. just for shits and giggles. This is literally the dumbest thing in this thread so far.

@awe_stuck said:

This was a great game because it allowed you to do soo much, and even taught you things. Most people who didnt love Oblivion was due to one reason - they played a Warrior.

So wait, this game allowed so much yet we should not have played a Warrior. Oooopsie.

@awe_stuck said:

Exploring caves only to find one filled with vampires, another with goblins.

And then you explore several dozen other caves. Each is also filled with vampires or goblins. Side dungeons in Oblivion were repetitive, pretty much every reviewer agrees. Hell even listen to this weeks bombcast.

@awe_stuck said:

What Oblivion did you play? Cus the one I played was amazing

I played Oblivion that was more restrictive then Morrowind. Had less interesting setting then Morrowind. Had much worse faction/guild system then Morrowind and way more boring quests. As well as a completely stupid repetitive main quest.

I was talking about side quests.. They designed the Radiant AI using algorithms. The AI by itself without instruction had the drug users kill off the the dealers. But ya most of it was scripted.

Oblivion wasnt Morrowind. The gameplay was less restrictive than Morrowind in the sense it was easier to do stuff.

I still dont care. Your post made me LOL

I was talking about side quests too, the side quests for the various guilds/factions in Morrowind were much more involved and intertwined with each other then they were in Oblivion.

It doesn't matter if Radiant AI could win at chess vs. a grandmaster or launch space shuttles in theory that the marketing told everyone. In practice in the actual game, the Radiant AI was just as simple and rote as any NPC scripting in most rgps.
    Of course it was designed using algorithms. Any piece of coding ever is an algorithm. But kudos on making yet another dumb statement.

I fail to see how having more options to do things, more spells, more gear options, more spell customization is more restricive then not having all of those things.
    Oblivion RPG system was made more simplistic and was a lesser version of the Morrowind system. This was admited and stated by the developers themselves.

So your reply to the rest of it is the equivalent of: "la-la-la i'm not listening" Oh gee all those points I made are now ruined by this awesome argument!

No, I'm just saying I'm talking about why Oblivion is great, and your talking about why Morrowind was better. Never said Morrowind was a crappy game. So, why the hell are you talking about Morrowind in comparison to Oblivion. I never compared them. I read what you wrote, I'm not just going to defend what I wrote. Obviously, if you take what I write apart piece by piece its going to look bad -most of what I wrote is written to support what comes after it. I dont even need to bother with your post. I'm not an idiot, but ya. Have fun with commenting on this post. LOL

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Tennmuerti

@awe_stuck said:

No, I'm just saying I'm talking about why Oblivion is great, and your talking about why Morrowind was better. Never said Morrowind was a crappy game. So, why the hell are you talking about Morrowind in comparison to Oblivion.

Only 1 of my points in the initial reply even mentioned Morrowind (saying that Oblivion was not amazing but rather a lesser version of a better game). You chose to focus on that point. Hence I replied to it. C'mon this is not hard to grasp.

Obviously, if you take what I write apart piece by piece its going to look bad -most of what I wrote is written to support what comes after it.

Only bad and stupid things look bad. I've had plenty of discussions with people on these boards who were perfectly able to stand by what they said.

I dont even need to bother with your post.

And yet you do.

I'm not an idiot, but ya.

If you say so. But people don't generally have need to say that, if that is shown by their words/actions.

Have fun with commenting on this post. LOL

I did have fun! Thanks.

(psssst pro tip: ending posts with LOL every time just makes it look very sad)
    awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By awe_stuck

@Tennmuerti said:

@DystopiaX said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@DystopiaX said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@mandude said:

@Aronman789 said:

@JasonR86 said:

@mandude said:

Creation Engine

Well I guess we will see how it does when the game comes out. I hope they really worked on it a lot, after all I'll be playing Skyrim too :)

Probably gonna be fn terrible man. Thats why I'm buying. Im praying its just like Morrowind.

Ya, brah

Chriseg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Chriseg

I'm excited for the customization possibilitties and the random crazy encounters that Bethesda is known for Also double wielding has me excited. I never played morowind, I tried oblivion and didn't like it. I loved fallout 3 so im hoping it is like fallout 3 but with a different story line. And enviroment setting and different abilities like magic. So that's the reason I'm excited Ill admit the hype surrounding the game has gotten to me. I barely heard about it last month and have been anticipating it since

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Tennmuerti

@awe_stuck said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@DystopiaX said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@DystopiaX said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@mandude said:

@Aronman789 said:

@JasonR86 said:

@mandude said:

Creation Engine

Well I guess we will see how it does when the game comes out. I hope they really worked on it a lot, after all I'll be playing Skyrim too :)

Probably gonna be fn terrible man. Thats why I'm buying. Im praying its just like Morrowind.

Ya, brah

Failing to understand how can one criticize a game and not be overhyped by it yet still interested in playing it. AND resorting to trolling my other comments instead of replying to the actual argument. Aaaaaw you try so hard it's cute.

Juicebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Juicebox

getting high and exloring while your high.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By awe_stuck

@Tennmuerti said:

@awe_stuck said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@DystopiaX said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@DystopiaX said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@mandude said:

@Aronman789 said:

@JasonR86 said:

@mandude said:

Creation Engine

Ya, brah

Failing to understand how can one criticize a game and not be overhyped by it yet still interested in playing it. AND resorting to trolling my other comments instead of replying to the actual argument. Aaaaaw you try so hard it's cute.

What argument would that be. Where did I ever say it was overhyped. Please continue. You trolled me, I'm replying to your retardent questions.

Game hasnt even been released. I'm sure you have a huge basis, please define this criticism of a game that came out years and years ago to how Skyrim is going to be extremely similar. Cus I need an hour explanation and argument on how HL1 was like HL2. Or, Halo was like Halo 3. Very constructive.

Also, never argued about Morrowind. I liked Oblivion because of the story and world, not because of the game mechanics. The game mechanics are better in this game (skyrim). Obviously, Oblivion wasnt perfect. In some aspects it was dumbed down. That doesnt make Oblivion a shit game. Its not like going from MW2 to Black Ops.

I enjoy it when someone says there are no algorithmic AI, obviously the code has algorithms (restating the obvious with an incorrect assumption). Do I really need to explain in detail most of the World was based on instructions. Every person had a schedule. They would tweak these schedules to reflect a fake world that would input and output data from the engine. They tweaked the AI engine to allow it to use the NPCs more constructively and to create free will. This produced interesting results, that they mostly turned off, or removed from the game. The Skooma example is one of them. I gave this example because in all probability those aspects of AI have hopefully been refined and reintroduced creating a more realistic World. Have not read a word if they had.

I dont care if you think its funny. Regardless to wait, what was your argument? Cus I want to identify how working on a game a lot equals quality. You ever play Duke Nukem Forever? Thats a great game think its $10 on Steam. Was worked on a really long time.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Tennmuerti

@awe_stuck:

What argument would that be.

Arguments, multiple. The ones I made in the first post and the second. Short memory?

Where did I ever say it was overhyped.

I didn't say you did. I said I wasn't. Reading comprehension isn't hard.

I'm replying to your retardent questions.

Retardent isn't a word. And you chose to ignore most of my statements in the first reply. I posed no actual questions either.

Game hasnt even been released. I'm sure you have a huge basis, please define this criticism of a game that came out years and years ago to how Skyrim is going to be extremely similar.

It's rather simple you see. You based your hype argument over Skyrim based on quality of Oblivion. Hence I criticized quality of Oblivion. Again this is fairly simple stuff to understand.

Also, never argued about Morrowind.

I was never arguing with you about Morrowind either. I was arguing that Oblivion was an inferior game to it. Simple difference, Christ this is getting tiresome.

I liked Oblivion because of the story and world, not because of the game mechanics.

Good since I already mentioned that in my opinion the story in Oblivion was asinine and boring (oblivion gates) As I have also mentioned that the wold had a ton of repetitive dungeons. If you have trouble remembering these things you can re read the posts.

The game mechanics are better in this game (skyrim). Obviously, Oblivion wasnt perfect. In some aspects it was dumbed down. That doesnt make Oblivion a shit game.

Siiiiigh. Again, never said it was. I said it was an inferior game to it's predecessor (and that it's marketing was overblown pre-release, considering the same situation is again occurring with Skyrim I again expect the game to not deliver on the promises made). I never said Oblivion was a shit game, I implied it was not as great as some people make it out to be. Either you are misinterpreting everything I say on purpose or ... hell I don't even know anymore.

I enjoy it when someone says there are no algorithmic AI

Again I never said that. In fact I said the opposite. jeeeezus

You do know the definition of an algorithm right? Any piece of code that produces an output based on an input is in effect an algorithm. { i = i + 1 } is technically an algorithm, albeit a very simple one.

Do I really need to explain in detail most of the World was based on instructions.

As are most virtual words with NPCs.

Every person had a schedule. They would tweak these schedules to reflect a fake world that would input and output data from the engine. They tweaked the AI engine to allow it to use the NPCs more constructively and to create free will. This produced interesting results, that they mostly turned off, or removed from the game. The Skooma example is one of them. I gave this example because in all probability those aspects of AI have hopefully been refined and reintroduced creating a more realistic World. Have not read a word if they had.

Again I already addressed this in those arguments you forgot about. What matters is the end result in the game, the NPCs had no free will and did what they were scripted to do, period.

Skyrim AI is currently being presented by marketing in exactly exactly the same fashion as it was for Oblivion. They did not deliver on their promise before. Why should I believe they will deliver exactly on their promise now? Hence no hype for their AI on my part.

I dont care if you think its funny. Regardless to wait, what was your argument?

My overall argument is that as far as the past trends go from Bethesda. Their RPGs are slipping in depth with each installment, and they confirmed this to be so with Skyrim. That their AI has yet to deliver. As does their story (F3, Oblivion). My point is that this type of promises of improvement have occurred from Bethesda PR before, and now I see the situation repeat itself. Hence getting overly excited about Skyrim to me seems silly.

Cus I want to identify how working on a game a lot equals quality. You ever play Duke Nukem Forever? Thats a great game think its $10 on Steam. Was worked on a really long time.

How this is relevant to anything I said. I never even implied time=quality. Stop hallucinating.

Anyway this is getting boring. I'm frankly tired of having to explain even simple things, or repeat things you forget, or having to correct what you think I said.

Toodles.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By PeasantAbuse
    TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By TorMasturba

@NekuSakuraba: Read this: http://www.giantbomb.com/news/three-hours-with-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-was-not-enough/3748/@LordXavierBritish said:

When I played Oblivion I escaped some castle thing and then I rode a horse for awhile and destroyed a yawning black portal. The combat was really boring someone explain why people like this game.

Because I escaped some castle thing and then I rode a horse and destroyed a yawning black portal. Then I did a few cool missions in a town where I rid a mansion, that I would later buy as my permanent harbour home to get away from it all, of an evil ghost and find my attention enthralled at how fantastically evil the boss looked before I fought hard to kill him... I walked away victorious.

Then I spotted an odd looking statue on the horizon and decided that it looked like it was worth investigating.

After a few seconds of walking I made a note of the thing that I'd found previously on my map. After closer inspection it turned out to be a talking demon shrine with cult worshippers around it, the demon asked me to go and ruin a noble lady's dinner party for him.

I did so stealthily, as this was how I'd decided to go with my character, I also stole a rather ample amount of treasures that were scattered around this castle and sold them on to the theives guild's fence.

I then saw a mountain in the far far distance and deciding to grab a horse and scale it, only to find my very own wizards tower that read about in passing earlier in the game.

The atmosphere of the tower was that of great power and a studious mind...

---------------------------------------------------

Etc, etc... I altered your comment to make a point that the fascination I, and likely many others, have with this game series and the other Bethesda open-world RPG's (F3 and F: NV) was the freedom to have your own fantasy/general adventure and know that in no other RPG are you so free to just play how please to such a freaky extreme.

There are no linear corridors that control how the story plays out and the only time limits on game time are real-world time constraints, not in-game time constraints, plus no multiplayer functionality to get in the way of completely imersing yourself in the world that has been crafted for your enjoyment.

Put simply, an RPG player's wet dream.

Joke: I think I'll go apply for a PR position with Bethsoft.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Because it's the sequel to one of the greatest games I've ever played, Oblivion.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#120  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Hmmm, maybe I just played Oblivion at the wrong time? I was pretty burned out on RPGs at the time I gave it a shot so that was probably it. After watching some videos I'm going to get the collectors edition of Skyrim.

Thanks to the guys who actually explained what was so good about the game rather than being assholes. :)

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Some people here have turned me off by saying I shouldn't buy Skyrim if I didn't get into Oblivion, but Skyrim looks so amazing.

What should I do?

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#122  Edited By sungahymn

@NekuSakuraba said:

Some people here have turned me off by saying I shouldn't buy Skyrim if I didn't get into Oblivion, but Skyrim looks so amazing.

What should I do?

As the reviewers gave Oblivion positive reviews, you shouldn't rely on them for Skyrim if you didn't like Oblivion.

You should probably rent it first or play it at a friend's house, then make a decision.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@sungahymn said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

What should I do?

As the reviewers gave Oblivion positive reviews, you shouldn't rely on them for Skyrim if you didn't like Oblivion.

You should probably rent it first or play it at a friend's house, then make a decision.

Well, I'm just relying on what I feel like playing! Skyrim looks to be like something I really want out of a game.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By sungahymn

@NekuSakuraba said:

@sungahymn said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

What should I do?

Well, I'm just relying on what I feel like playing! Skyrim looks to be like something I really want out of a game.

What's making you hesitate then? Screw other people's opinions.

(If you don't like Skyrim, I apologize for the bad advice.)

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By benpicko
    @MB

Did you play Oblivion recently, or when it first came out? You're pretty young, so you were more or less a child when Oblivion was released...it's been almost six years.

Holy crap. I'd have been like 10. Wow.
    ripsaw117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By ripsaw117

@Lunar_Aura said:

I'm kinda hyped for the graphics but the combat still looks too Bethesda for me.

Hmmm... i don't think graphics are the focuse.....particularly on a console game

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#127  Edited By spazmaster666

I don't think any video game event stuck to my memory in recent years as much as that moment in Oblivion when you first step out of the first dungeon and into the big vast world that awaited you. Not even the similar moment in Fallout 3 compares IMO. Granted it was my first major experience in open-world RPGs but I'll be damned if it didn't leave a lasting impression. From what I've seen of Skyrim, it's bringing back the same feelings I had while playing Oblivion for the first time. I've basically been waiting five years for a game to replace Oblivion (no, Falllout 3 and New Vegas aren't the same thing) and finally I'll get it in Skyrim. Though ironically I'll be playing Skyrim on the 360 first, whereas when I first played Oblivion (on PC on launch day back in March 2006), I didn't even own a 360 yet.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By selbie

1. Dragons

2. More dragons.

3. Open-world gameplay

4. Bethesda's amazing skyboxes.

5. DRAGONS

kingopork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By kingopork

@selbie: I'm very excited for Skryim, but dragons is more of a concern than an exciting feature. Dragons in all videogames have been a pain in the balls. I don't want to be in the middle of doing a sidequest and have a boss battle land in my lap. It'd make me quick load and pray the shitty dragon goes a different route. I'm seeing them as mobile Oblivion gates.

I'm sure they tried really hard getting them right, but I remain very pessimistic. The rest of the game looks fantastic though.

Kandycane2029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Kandycane2029

@ShadowConqueror said:

A lot of people like the Elder Scrolls game, and this could be the best one yet.

I am one of those people.

I'm not one of the many fortunate people who experienced TES prior to Morrowind, but I was hooked once a stupid friend who hates RPGs rented Morrowind and played it in front of me. Everything about the franchise is awesome. If you doubt anything about Skyrim, the franchise isn't for you, and shame on you for creating a thread questioning it.

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

@kingopork:

The thing about the dragons are that (a bit of speculation and fact here!) they might not be everywhere (i.e. all the biomes of Skyrim), there are weaker dragons which should be fairly easy to kill and much more challenging boss dragons (fact) which probably spawn in the main quest and some important side quests (speculation). But Bethesda still hasn't revealed too much about dragons (other than 'they be bosses' and 'their souls are shouts') so I could be speaking out of my ass.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Mars_Cleric

I like games, so I'm excited for Skyrim

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By awe_stuck

@Tennmuerti said:

@awe_stuck:

What argument would that be.

Arguments, multiple. The ones I made in the first post and the second. Short memory?

Where did I ever say it was overhyped.

I didn't say you did. I said I wasn't. Reading comprehension isn't hard.

I'm replying to your retardent questions.

Retardent isn't a word. And you chose to ignore most of my statements in the first reply. I posed no actual questions either.

Game hasnt even been released. I'm sure you have a huge basis, please define this criticism of a game that came out years and years ago to how Skyrim is going to be extremely similar.

It's rather simple you see. You based your hype argument over Skyrim based on quality of Oblivion. Hence I criticized quality of Oblivion. Again this is fairly simple stuff to understand.

Also, never argued about Morrowind.

I was never arguing with you about Morrowind either. I was arguing that Oblivion was an inferior game to it. Simple difference, Christ this is getting tiresome.

I liked Oblivion because of the story and world, not because of the game mechanics.

Good since I already mentioned that in my opinion the story in Oblivion was asinine and boring (oblivion gates) As I have also mentioned that the wold had a ton of repetitive dungeons. If you have trouble remembering these things you can re read the posts.

The game mechanics are better in this game (skyrim). Obviously, Oblivion wasnt perfect. In some aspects it was dumbed down. That doesnt make Oblivion a shit game.

Siiiiigh. Again, never said it was. I said it was an inferior game to it's predecessor (and that it's marketing was overblown pre-release, considering the same situation is again occurring with Skyrim I again expect the game to not deliver on the promises made). I never said Oblivion was a shit game, I implied it was not as great as some people make it out to be. Either you are misinterpreting everything I say on purpose or ... hell I don't even know anymore.

I enjoy it when someone says there are no algorithmic AI

Again I never said that. In fact I said the opposite. jeeeezus

You do know the definition of an algorithm right? Any piece of code that produces an output based on an input is in effect an algorithm. { i = i + 1 } is technically an algorithm, albeit a very simple one.

Do I really need to explain in detail most of the World was based on instructions.

As are most virtual words with NPCs.

Every person had a schedule. They would tweak these schedules to reflect a fake world that would input and output data from the engine. They tweaked the AI engine to allow it to use the NPCs more constructively and to create free will. This produced interesting results, that they mostly turned off, or removed from the game. The Skooma example is one of them. I gave this example because in all probability those aspects of AI have hopefully been refined and reintroduced creating a more realistic World. Have not read a word if they had.

Again I already addressed this in those arguments you forgot about. What matters is the end result in the game, the NPCs had no free will and did what they were scripted to do, period.

Skyrim AI is currently being presented by marketing in exactly exactly the same fashion as it was for Oblivion. They did not deliver on their promise before. Why should I believe they will deliver exactly on their promise now? Hence no hype for their AI on my part.

I dont care if you think its funny. Regardless to wait, what was your argument?

My overall argument is that as far as the past trends go from Bethesda. Their RPGs are slipping in depth with each installment, and they confirmed this to be so with Skyrim. That their AI has yet to deliver. As does their story (F3, Oblivion). My point is that this type of promises of improvement have occurred from Bethesda PR before, and now I see the situation repeat itself. Hence getting overly excited about Skyrim to me seems silly.

Cus I want to identify how working on a game a lot equals quality. You ever play Duke Nukem Forever? Thats a great game think its $10 on Steam. Was worked on a really long time.

How this is relevant to anything I said. I never even implied time=quality. Stop hallucinating.

Anyway this is getting boring. I'm frankly tired of having to explain even simple things, or repeat things you forget, or having to correct what you think I said.

Toodles.

Ya, okay... IN BETHESDAY GAMES they use schedules with NPCs. Who makes most rpgs - Bethesda. I guess in Wticher 2 everyone has a schedule, oh, and umm Dragon Age 2. Oh, thats right only in Bethesda games. Think you said? No, no, I dont need to forget what I imagine you say, fact is you said hopefully they spent a lot of time working on this game.

I'm done talking to you. You have brain damage

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By awe_stuck

@NekuSakuraba said:

What should I do?

So many people turned me off weed by showing it can cause massive memory loss and partial brain damage.

Should I smoke weed?

Cus I'm definitely buying Skyrim and I need something to do when I play Fallout with Swords. Cus seriously this game is gonna break the bank on how stupidly fun it is. Assuming, they dont downsize the size of the actual World.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@awe_stuck said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

What should I do?

So many people turned me off weed by showing it can cause massive memory loss and partial brain damage.

Should I smoke weed?

Cus I'm definitely buying Skyrim and I need something to do when I play Fallout with Swords. Cus seriously this game is gonna break the bank on how stupidly fun it is. Assuming, they dont downsize the size of the actual World.

What are you trying to say?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Tennmuerti

@awe_stuck said:

Ya, okay... IN BETHESDAY GAMES they use schedules with NPCs. Who makes most rpgs - Bethesda. I guess in Wticher 2 everyone has a schedule, oh, and umm Dragon Age 2. Oh, thats right only in Bethesda games.

Ah you once again ignored most of what I said. Convenient pussying out.

Yes the NPCs in Witcher 2 have schedules. As the did in Witcher 1. NPCs in several MMO's have schedules and patrol routes. FAIL

Think you said? No, no, I dont need to forget what I imagine you say, fact is you said hopefully they spent a lot of time working on this game.

The conversation between me and other posters was about the game engine. I said I hoped they worked on it a lot. Refering to the modified Gamebryo engine.

Again you FAIL.

I'm sorry I'm not the one who has a problem with the English language.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By awe_stuck

@NekuSakuraba said:

@awe_stuck said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

What should I do?

Should I smoke weed?

What are you trying to say?

My friends bought Call of Duty Black Ops.

Should I

My friends LOL'd at Teuti

Should I LOL

You should play Skyrim. Oblivion is fun, but if you dont wanna put in 60 to 100 hours. Its just a waste of time. Skyrim is just around the corner. You dont need to play Oblivion, your friends are probably saying that cus they think you should play it, and probably think it makes them seem cool.

Regardless I wouldnt tell you not to play Halo 3 if you didnt play Halo 2.

Its up to you, but if you have money to burn Skyrim will be a much better game then Mass Effect 3.

EvilKatarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By EvilKatarn

Has anyone even said that the game will "improve the genre" at all? If they have, then they've done it well out of my sight.

I just want it because it's an Elder Scrolls game. So far the track record for that name has been impeccable and while this doesn't look terribly different from Oblivion (cosidering the graphical leaps the genre has taken before) it still looks like a kickass game.

Avatar image for lady_of_the_patriots
    Lady_of_the_patriots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NekuSakuraba said:

Myself and others would like to know why there is so much hype for Skyrim, on the outside it looks like a good RPG but people are acting like it will change the genre. I really like RPGs and ill get Skyrim sometimes but it seems to be nothing drastically new. Please, feel free to explain and make others hyped for the game. :)

Dragons.

Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Edwardryu

don't expect too much if you wait for PC version. this game was developed for console main reason from the beginning. all demo, video clips we saw so far were console version. for some reason, Bethesda don't want to show PC version publicly. it makes me very suspicious. plus, even though developers already explained why PC version has only 6GB HD size which is way smaller for big open world exploration. they said that the creation engine can handle, and they use small texture into it. honestly PC version should be $49.99 (not $59.99 for 6GB game). it's totally ripped off. we will see whether it was all about hype or true. I don't want to see another fiasco like Rage.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#141  Edited By AndrewB

I don't think anyone expects it to be revolutionary. For me, it'll be more Morrowind/Oblivion, hopefully with just enough of the good from each and more streamlining, and that has me super excited.

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By ComradeKhan

If you have to ask... you'll never know.

But really its just a newer version of something people love. People aren't acting like its going to change the genre, like you say, because its not trying to reinvent or change anything. Its the fifth entry in an already great franchise and thats what people are hyped about.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Rowr

i hate people under 15.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By MikkaQ

@NekuSakuraba said:

Myself and others would like to know why there is so much hype for Skyrim, on the outside it looks like a good RPG but people are acting like it will change the genre. I really like RPGs and ill get Skyrim sometimes but it seems to be nothing drastically new. Please, feel free to explain and make others hyped for the game. :)

Well it IS the new Elder Scrolls game, which is a series that's gone on for 17 years now. Also unlike most games, they're released every 4-5 years or so. So the fanbase get quite excited. It's been years since the last one, so the hype is increased. The differences between each one are super vast.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@Rowr said:

i hate people under 15.

What does that have to do with this thread?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@ComradeKhan said:

If you have to ask... you'll never know.

That's not true, if you or some other people bothered to read this thread you'll see I have already pre-ordered Skyrim after watching the developer walkthrough.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By soldierg654342

People are more likely to appreciate a series more when they're not on an annual release cycle.

FatherHydra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#148  Edited By FatherHydra

@Edwardryu said:

...plus, even though developers already explained why PC version has only 6GB HD size which is way smaller for big open world exploration....

Oblivion was only 4.6 gigs, Bethesda are wizards when it comes to file compression.

Avatar image for strikessalvation
    strikessalvation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have read just about all of this. It is simple really, either your a fan of TES or not. Those of us that are, love to explore a well made world, and do our own thing. Like others have said, I spend a majority of my time running around exploring, which was worth the 50 or 60 bucks I spent. Its the kind of like when you read a good book, you say damn I wish I could venture into that world. TES offers that if your into TES games. Skyrim has the same theme but on an even more wonderful scale, everything has been redone. From the videos I have seen I am completly impressed at the job they have done. I guess for some of us the world of Skyrim alone is worth the money. Sure a really good story line would be great, but really in the end, I am making my OWN story while I play. It's about being able to acutally feel like your PART of the world, also if your a fan of Beth then you must admit in a day and age where everything seems to be about multiplayer this and multiplayer that there is still atleast one company that does not give two shits about that, which in the end is fantastic.

hemmelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By hemmelight

Bethesda are like the Tool of game development. They disappear for years and years, then release these massive products precisely when people want more. (For anyone confusing my comment for insult, I meant Tool the band.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.