Where are the Dwarves ?

#1 Edited by wambam (63 posts) -

I love to play as a dwarf. Dwarves are strong, tough, always ready to fight and drink lots of dwarven beer all of the time. Where did the dwarven bows and arows come from ? Am I missing something ? I believe they vanished long ago but I don't think that's fair. Bring them back, I say. I played thru' DragonAge as one. So - why aren't there dwarves in Skyrim. Times change. How about a race of dwarves being discovered when going thru' some portal to a hidden valley etc., etc.

Or what about a race of genetic mutations somewhere ?

What kind of genetic mutation would you like to see in Skyrim. Your idea is only limited by your imagination. :)

If you could create a genetically mutated character at the start of the game, what would you come up with ?

#2 Posted by SilverBulletKY (165 posts) -

I think you should be able to get bitten by a spider and then gain spider powers. Like spider sense and shooting webs out of my hands. I would call myself Spider-man.

#3 Posted by thornie_delete (436 posts) -

I'm not 100% sure if this is correct but I THINK the Dwermer (Dwarves) were an ancient race that died out or disappeared mysteriously in TES mythos. Kind of like LoTR where the Dwarves dug too deep into the mountains and met their end awakening ancient evils like Balrogs, etc.

#4 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Aren't the Falmers kind of "genetic mutations" since they were Snow Elves before they turned into those things?  

Also, I'm convinced that there were no Dwarves in the Elder Scrolls games.  

#5 Posted by wambam (63 posts) -

@thornie said:

I'm not 100% sure if this is correct but I THINK the Dwermer (Dwarves) were an ancient race that died out or disappeared mysteriously in TES mythos. Kind of like LoTR where the Dwarves dug too deep into the mountains and met their end awakening ancient evils like Balrogs, etc.

Yeah. . just edited my post when I remembered that. But I do think they should somehow make a new appearance. :)

#6 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Pretty sure they've been long extinct in Skyrim (or the Elder Scrolls universe in general). 

I for one love the fact that they're extinct, it's really awesome to explore their ancient mechanical settlements. There's even a quest where them being the "long extinct race" plays a sweet role in the theme of the quest.

#7 Posted by Hobbies (976 posts) -

Here's everything you need to know about the Dwarven people of Elder Scrolls lore.http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Dwemer

Have no idea what mean by it not being fair. It's Bethesda's world, they can do what they want with it.

#8 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5137 posts) -

What if an Argonian had a baby with an Imperial?

#9 Posted by wambam (63 posts) -

How about someone making a mod which has you deep in the Dwermer ruins and you see a mysterious, dust-coverd door with the sign (in ancient Dwarven - which you need to translate) and it says, to your amazement, in Dwarven, the equivalent of: "F*ck Off - Outsider . You enter here at your own peril. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED>"

#10 Posted by DeeGee (2113 posts) -

The world is generic fantasy enough as it is. Let's leave the dwarves out of it.

#11 Posted by wambam (63 posts) -

@DeeGee said:

The world is generic fantasy enough as it is. Let's leave the dwarves out of it.

I love dwarves. That's a racist comment :(

#12 Posted by Dagbiker (6938 posts) -

Dead. All of them

#13 Posted by punpun (232 posts) -

If memory serves, you actually get to meet a dwarf in Morrowind. He's pretty gross.

#14 Posted by thornie_delete (436 posts) -

@wambam: Everyone knows that the inscription on the door would be "Speak Friend and Enter". /LoTR reference.

#15 Edited by david3cm (635 posts) -

@wambam said:

@thornie said:

Yeah. . just edited my post when I remembered that. But I do think they should somehow make a new appearance. :)

DLC.

#16 Posted by Merricks (27 posts) -

Dwarves are aliens. They finally built their spaceship.

#17 Edited by Marz (5641 posts) -
#18 Posted by mikey87144 (1648 posts) -

Dwarves in TES mythos are just elves. They're not short or anything. They're as tall as everyone else.

#19 Edited by wambam (63 posts) -

@Marz said:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Battle_of_Red_Mountain they disappeared during the battle of red mountain....

Yeah. . . but I happen to know that some of them were cryogenetically frozen and sealed in airtight chambers to be automatically open some hundreds of years in the future. They would then breed a dwarven master race in the depths and emerge to re-conquer the Elder Scrolls world. :)

#20 Posted by Subjugation (4714 posts) -

The "dwarves" of Skyrim, a.k.a. Dwemer, are not what we typically think of as dwarves. They aren't the short, bearded wonders that are used in fantasy. It is explained in game that Dwemer means "deep elves" so take that for what it's worth.

#21 Posted by wambam (63 posts) -

@mikey87144 said:

Dwarves in TES mythos are just elves. They're not short or anything. They're as tall as everyone else.

hmmm how can you have a "tall" dwarf ?

#22 Posted by UltorOscariot (170 posts) -

Dwarves in TES either died or vanished. What was thought to be the last living dwarf can be met in Morrowind. There was at least one book that dealt with speculating why the race vanished. And oddly enough, I think Dwarves in TES are considered an offshoot of elves, hence why their gear isn't made for characters who are only 3 feet tall. I still believe the Dwarves come back in a big way. It's too easy to make another game's premise intertwined with the return of the Dwemer.

#23 Posted by Dagbiker (6938 posts) -

Having no daarves is actualy refressing. But the real question is where is the dog race

#24 Edited by wambam (63 posts) -

@UltorOscariot said:

Dwarves in TES either died or vanished. What was thought to be the last living dwarf can be met in Morrowind. There was at least one book that dealt with speculating why the race vanished. And oddly enough, I think Dwarves in TES are considered an offshoot of elves, hence why their gear isn't made for characters who are only 3 feet tall. I still believe the Dwarves come back in a big way. It's too easy to make another game's premise intertwined with the return of the Dwemer.

In Elder Scrolls VI perhaps, with that hidden door deep in the ruins, to appear on shelves around 2013 ? Maybe Bethesda will give me a job. :)

#25 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1199 posts) -

I don't think the Dwemer all died out, in a few books about the Dwemer in Syrim, and other TES games, it is mentioned that the Dwemer took heavy casualties in a losing war with the surface world. Every single Dwemer was called back to tamriel, and poof, all gone! At least, that's how I dumbed it down.

I still think Bethesda have some plans for the Dwemer, because only the tamriel Dwemer have gone missing and, as lore and speculation go, Dwemer came from the common ancestor that evolved into all races (except the beasts), so they have to be still out there in another continent. Likely hood is they still exist, but the real problem is if Bethesda actually put them into DLC/another game any time soon.

#26 Posted by Gargantuan (1880 posts) -

Dwemer were elves who where very proficient with technology. They were as tall as humans. All of them suddenly vanished (except Yagrum who was in Oblivion at the time) a long time ago. The most common theory is that they vanished when they tried to harness the power of the Heart of Lorkhan, a dead god. You meet the both the last dwemer, Yagrum, and some dwemer ghosts in Morrowind

This is what they look like:

#27 Posted by MikkaQ (10262 posts) -

They"ve been extinct for a long time.

Plus they'd be just another race of elves, normal height and all. Wouldn't add much to the game, and it's cooler to have a "lost" race who've left behind cool stuff.

#28 Posted by sup909 (159 posts) -

Technically I think there is no such thing as a Dwarf as we associate it with Tolkien lore. They are all Mer (DwerMER for "dwarves") and all the Mer are actually elves. Even the orcs are called OrsiMER.

#29 Posted by Three0neFive (2285 posts) -

They achieved CHIM.

/lore shitstorm

#30 Posted by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

@SilverBulletKY: What?! That's crazy. Where do you come up with these ideas?

#31 Posted by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

Would you play with a lowered first-person camera? You have to look up to talk with others and everything is viewed with larger proportions; that sounds pretty good actually.

Would be great, until you came across a Giant.

#32 Posted by Beforet (2911 posts) -

@ZeForgotten: The explanation is that the dwemer "armor" is actually just pieces of robot scrap metal strapped together to fit human proportions, because the craft for real dwemer armor was lost when they disappeared. At least is was in Morrowind, back when dwemer armor looked like scrap metal. I don't know what the deal in Skyrim is.

Also, they weren't short but I just wanted to share this detail.

#33 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Beforet said:

@ZeForgotten: The explanation is that the dwemer "armor" is actually just pieces of robot scrap metal strapped together to fit human proportions, because the craft for real dwemer armor was lost when they disappeared. At least is was in Morrowind, back when dwemer armor looked like scrap metal. I don't know what the deal in Skyrim is.

Also, they weren't short but I just wanted to share this detail.

Ah I see, that does explain it, and the "not actually short" does too. "Dwarf" should probably not be used to describe them then, but that's just me nitpicking I guess
#34 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I want 'Elder Scrolls VI : Return of the Dwarf' and build my own Dwemer Bots. A 30% topside, 70% underground gameworld would be pretty fresh too. Oh - some brothels would add a lot to Elder Scrolls. I need gold diggers to sink my money in. I guess mods got me covered on that front though...

#35 Posted by Fattony12000 (6950 posts) -
#36 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -
@punpun said:
If memory serves, you actually get to meet a dwarf in Morrowind. He's pretty gross.
Probably more to do with the Corpus than anything.
#37 Edited by User_Undefined (177 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

Might I recommend "The Lusty Argonian Maid" as read by one, Ryan Davis, to answer your question. (If you missed it, watch the Oblivion live stream that was on before Greg Kasavin's Skyrim marathon)

#38 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

I remember reading something like, the dwemer tried to build a mechanical god, named Nimbus (or something like that), and then all the other gods banished them forever and they disappeared from Nirn for their betrayal against the gods.

#39 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

Aren't the Falmers kind of "genetic mutations" since they were Snow Elves before they turned into those things?

Also, I'm convinced that there were no Dwarves in the Elder Scrolls games.
In Skyrim you go into their little dungeons of mechanical death and hell and you find a "Dwarven Amor" that fits you perfectly (or fits your companion perfectly) It never made much sense to me. Unless of course everyone in Skyrim is a Dwarf and the Giants are just Normal Size humans

Dwarves in Tamriel were just another race of Elves. They were normal sized humanoids. There are multiple stories of how they came to be called Dwarves.

#40 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@PeasantAbuse said:

Well that was horrifying.

#41 Posted by joshth (500 posts) -

I love dwarves too. But I love a game better that's interesting. Having a long extinct race is ineresting...

#42 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2990 posts) -

I'm convinced that the falmer rebelled and killed them all

#43 Posted by TheVideoHustler (406 posts) -

I think this guy is just into dwarves

#44 Posted by AndrewB (7438 posts) -

Pretty sure the main plot of a future (possibly next) Elder Scrolls game will be the return of the Dwemer from the outer realms. Lore in video games exists to be used at some point, right? It's alluded to heavily in Morrowind. Not sure yet about Skyrim because I haven't even begun the main story yet, but Dwemer ruins make a return in a big way from what I've randomly explored. We know the big thing in Skyrim is the mysterious return of Dragons, as somewhat of a continuation of events from Oblivion. Seems like the plot/premise for the next Elder Scrolls game should write itself at that point.

#45 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3048 posts) -

Pretty sure a thread like this exists already. I'll link it later. Also, in TES, The Dwarves are just an ancient race of elves.

#46 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2450 posts) -
@VisariLoyalist

I'm convinced that the falmer rebelled and killed them all

http://www.imperial-library.info/content/skyrim-falmer-study
#47 Posted by Galiant (2175 posts) -

@wambam: The Dwemer are commonly referred to as dwarves, but they weren't actually dwarves in the usual sense. They were regular humanoid elves, pretty much. I think there was an instance where a giant called a dwemer a dwarf, and I guess the name stuck. They disappeared during some cataclysmic event where they tried to abuse some source of magical power or other.

#48 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

The Dwarves or Dwemer (Deep Elves) bit the dust dude. Anyway, we already have High, Dark and Wood elves to be racist towards, more than enough....freaking elves.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.