Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Who else wants to read all the Skyrim books on the toilet?

shakra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By shakra

I found myself having to take a restroom break from my hard skyrimming session today. While taking care of business I started to have withdrawls. I thought it would be great if I could read through all the books I had been stealing in the game while I was away from the game. With that distraction in mind I set to creating a mobile app that displayed all of the books in Skyrim for easy toilet / bedtime reading on your iPhone / Android / iPad.

Plugging through the document Insectecutor linked me too, new books added every day. Every day I'm shufflin.

Also, if you see any errors on the site please let me know what device you're reading it with. I used jquerymobileUI so it should work on as many devices as possible. Hopefully anyway :)

The mobile site is here http://skyrimbooks.com

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By bibamatt
    veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By veektarius

I do have a tough time reading them. I enjoy them, but it's really only when I'm between quests that I can really focus on them. So when you've got some rare book in a dungeon, I'm rarely able to get the most out of it, even when it gives me a skill point and I feel obligated.

shakra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By shakra
    emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By emergency

A Brief history of the Empire Part One by

Stronach k'Thojj lll

Imperial Historian

Before the ruleof Tiber Septim, all Tamriel was in chaos. The poet Tracizis called that period of continuous unrest "days and nights of blood and venom." The kings were a petty lot of grasping tyrants, who fought Tiber's attempts to bring order to the land. But they were as disorganized as they were dissolute, and the strong hand of Septim brought peace forcibly to Tamriel. The year was 2E 896. The following year, the Emperor declared the beginning of a new Era-thus began the Third Era, Year Aught.

For thirty-eight years, the Emperor Tiber reigned supreme. It was a lawful, pious, and glorious age, when justice was known to one and all, from serf to sovereign. On Tiber's death, it rained for an entire fortnight as if the land of Tamriel itself was weeping.

The Emperor's grandson, Delagius, came to the throne. Though his reign was short, he was as strong and resolute as his father had been, and Tamriel could have enjoyed a continuation of the Golden Age. Alas, an unkown enemy of the Septim Family hired that accursed organization of cutthroats, the Dark Brotherhood, to kill the Emperor Delagius l as he knelt at prayer at the Temple of the One in the Imperial City. Delagius l's reign lasted less than three years.

Delagius had no living children, so the Crown Imperial passed to his first cousin, the daughter of Tiber's brother Agnorith. Kintyra, former Queen of Silvenar, assumed the throne as Kintyra l. Her reign was blessed with prosperity and good harvests, and she herself was an avid patroness of art, music, and dance.

Kintyra's son was crowned after he death, the first Emperor of Tamriel to use the imperial name Uriel. Uriel l was the great lawmaker of the Septim Dynasty, and a promoter of independent organizations and guilds. Under his kind but firm hand, the Fighters Guild and the Mages Guild increased in prominence throughout Tamriel. His son and successor Uriel ll reigned for eighteen years, from the death of Uriel l in 3E64 to Delagius ll's accession in 3E82. Tragically, the rule of Uriel ll was cursed with blights, plagues, and insurrecions. The tenderness he inherited from his father did not serve Tamriel well, and little justice was done.

Delagius ll inherited not only the throne from his father, but the debt from the latter's poor financial and judicial management. Delagius dismissed all of the Elder Council, and allowed only those willing to pay great sums to resume their seats. He encouraged similar acts among his vassals, the kings of Tamriel, and by the end of his seventeen year reign, Tamriel had returned to prosperity. His critics, however, have suggested that any advisor possessed of wisdom but not of gold had been summarily ousted by Delagius. This may have led to some of the troubles his son Antiochus faced when he in turn became Emperor.

Antiochus was certainly one of the more flamboyant members of the usually austere Septim Family. He had numerous mistresses and nearly as many wives, and was renowned for the grandeur of his dress and his high good humor. Unfortunately, his reign was rife with civil war, surpassing even that of his grandfather Uriel ll. The War of the Isle in 3E110, twelve years after Antiochus assumed the throne, nearly took the province of Summurset Isle away from Tamriel. The united alliance of the kings of Summurset and Antiochus only managed to defeat King Orghum of the island-kingdom of Dyandonea due to a freak storm. Legend credits the Dsijic Order of the Isle of Artaeum with the sorcery behind the tempest.

The story of Kintyra ll, heiress of her father Antiochus' throne, is certainly one of the saddest tales in imperial history. Her first cousin Uriel, son of Queen Dotema of Solitude, accused Kintyra of being a bastard, alluding to the infamous decadence of the Imperial City during her father's reign. When this accusation failed to stop her coronation, Uriel bought the support of several disgruntled kings of High Rock, Skyrim and Morrowind, and with Queen Dotema's assistance, he coordinated three attacks on the Septim Empire. The first attack occurred in the Iliac Bay region, which separates High Rock and Hammerfall. Kintyra's entourage was massacred and the Empress taken captive. For two years, Kintyra ll languished in an Imperial prison believed to be somewhere in Glenpoint or Glenmoril before she was slain in her cell under mysterious circumstances. The second attack was on a series of Imperial garrisons along the coastal Morrowind islands. The Empress' consort Kontin Arynx fell defending the forts. The third and final attack was a siege of the Imperial City itself, occurring after the Elder Council had split up the army to attack western High Rock and eastern Morrowind. The weakened government had little defence against Uriel's determined aggression, and capitulated after only a fortnight of resistance. Uriel took the throne that same evening and proclaimed himself Uriel lll, Emperor of Tamriel. The year was 3E121. Thus began the War of the Red Diamond, described in Volume ll of this series.

-- Also, I'm not sure how possible it would be to rip it from the code. I'm sure it's possible.

shakra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By shakra

@emergency: Added

shakra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By shakra
    strangone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By strangone
    Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Insectecutor

You'll find the text of the books in steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Strings, open Skyrim_English.DLSTRINGS in Notepad and scroll down past the filetable garbage at the start.

This should help you in your crazy endeavour.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By JoeyRavn

@shakra said:

I found myself having to take a restroom break from my hard skyrimming session today.

That sounds incredibly dirty. Also, congrats on this crazy work of yours. Looking forward to browsing through the final version.

shakra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By shakra

@strangone: Oh god maybe i should make a tes version with all of the books :O

shakra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By shakra

@Insectecutor said:

You'll find the text of the books in steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Strings, open Skyrim_English.DLSTRINGS in Notepad and scroll down past the filetable garbage at the start.

This should help you in your crazy endeavour.

Oh hey this is awesome thanks. Do you know if this is everything I've picked up or is it everything in the game?

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By konig_kei

I thought you meant actual books but anyway I started reading Lord of Souls which is meant to bridge the gap between Oblivion and Skyrim. I just hate reading the Argonian bits. I hate those damn Argonians..

shakra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By shakra

@konig_kei: I didn't know that existed. I'll get that on the kindle. I'm not going to put that on the site though I'm pretty sure I would get hit hard with a C&D for that

shakra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By shakra

@JoeyRavn said:

@shakra said:

I found myself having to take a restroom break from my hard skyrimming session today.

That sounds incredibly dirty. Also, congrats on this crazy work of yours. Looking forward to browsing through the final version.

my immersion is so deep

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Grimluck343

There was a Reddit thread about this. Also in that thread is the copy of the .doc with all of the books formatted as well as a version that you can download to your Kindle.

shakra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By shakra

@Grimluck343 said:

There was a Reddit thread about this. Also in that thread is the copy of the .doc with all of the books formatted as well as a version that you can download to your Kindle.

Oh cool that's the oblivion one the guy printed. Maybe if I'm crazy enough I'll format this to have skyrim and oblivion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man i'd so love something like this to be finished lol. I wish they had the books printed in the strategy guide i'd buy that thing instantly if so.

shakra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By shakra

@ICryCauseImEmo: I'm slowly updating stuff as I go through. I'm going to dig through that text file tomorrow and try to update more based on that. I'd do more of them quicker if I wasn't playing the game :)

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I see so many great, great things for the future of this game. 

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By Junkerman

I believe most of the books are on the UESP elderscrolls wiki. I used to read them on their when oblivion came out. They even have the Adult fiction from daggerfall that was censored in Morrowind and onwards.

shakra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By shakra

@Junkerman said:

I believe most of the books are on the UESP elderscrolls wiki. I used to read them on their when oblivion came out. They even have the Adult fiction from daggerfall that was censored in Morrowind and onwards.

Maybe I'll go through that stuff too and do a easy to read mobile version for everything. That may be more work than I'm willing to put in though so we will see what happens with this first. I may not be mad enough to do it all.

mason_pat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mason_pat

very cool, maybe eventually we can get all the books and see you their links to one another. This is still pretty great

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shakra said:

@ICryCauseImEmo: I'm slowly updating stuff as I go through. I'm going to dig through that text file tomorrow and try to update more based on that. I'd do more of them quicker if I wasn't playing the game :)

I'll see what I can do after classes today. If im not to busy playing skyrim lol I'll maybe write of some of the books I'v collected.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GunnBjorn

And use its pages as ass-wipe...? Sure!
    shakra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By shakra

I got a bunch more added today. Time to take a break and play more of the game.

shakra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By shakra

Also fun fact. The most popular category so far is /b/

Phoenix778m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Phoenix778m

Your mobile site is awesome. Hope you go all the with it!

iWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By iWonder

Great idea, now I can get even less done in-between classes!

Now to go look up that Lord of Souls book...

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#30  Edited By bibamatt

@shakra: Yo dawg, I heard you liked books in Skyrim so someone went and made a document with them all in.

Like I suggested before, all the books are in a text file in the PC code. This dude has ripped them out, split them up and made ebook versions. Saves you the work, at least!

http://capane.us/2011/11/24/dovahkiin-gutenberg/

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

@emergency: So... so many typos. It's Pelagius and Potema.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Afroman269

Cool, another place for me to shout "Fus Ro Dah!"

spilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By spilth

I put together a similar site. I tried to go for something simple and readable that mimics the style of the book sin the game.

I'm still working on the transformation of files but the basics are up and running. The site is www.arcanaeum.com

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#34  Edited By Claude

Someone should make a mod for the can. Read all you can.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.