Will Daedric quests be back?

#1 Edited by FreakAche (2952 posts) -

If they are back, I'm a bit curious as to how they'll handle some of these. Sheogorath being a quest giver would be a bit weird after the events of Shivering Isles considering the player character takes on the mantle of Sheogorath, but does not become immortal. Also, working for Mehrunes Dagon would be a bit weird considering he tried to destroy the world just a few hundred years earlier. If either of those princes are quest givers in the game, I'm curious as to how they'll address the events of Oblivion and Shivering Isles in the dialogue.

#2 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

@FreakAche: It's been forever since I played Oblivion, but are that those statues that give you quests? I remember them as being awesome and unique, so I certainly wouldn't mind to see them return.

#3 Edited by SaturdayNightSpecials (2373 posts) -

I would love to see those come back. Especially if they did more with each Daedric Lord's realm (instead of making them all sort of look like Mehrunes Dagon's, like in Oblivion)

Get some Hermaeus Mora up in that bitch.

#4 Posted by FreakAche (2952 posts) -
@CrazyChris: Yep they're the statues. Those were some of my favorite quests in the game and I'd love to see them return!
#5 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2451 posts) -

After defeating Jyggalag, the Champion of Cyrodiil supposedly became the new Sheogorath.

#6 Posted by FreakAche (2952 posts) -
@yoshimitz707: Yeah, but I believe the game specifically stated that the Champion would not become immortal, he/she would just be given the power to rule the Isles.
#7 Posted by Unchained (1080 posts) -

I hope the quests to gain artifacts are very very difficult. I want to earn those rewards.

#8 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2451 posts) -
#9 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I'm playing Oblivion for the umpteenth time. I like running around in nothing but a loin cloth and punching grizzly bears in the face.

#10 Posted by FreakAche (2952 posts) -
@Axxol: Just think. In five short months, you could be doing the same thing, but punching dragons in the face.
#11 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
@FreakAche said:
@Axxol: Just think. In five short months, you could be doing the same thing, but punching dragons in the face.  
My goal is to one-hit one of those punk ass dragons.
#12 Posted by project343 (2817 posts) -

I'm thinking not. The Daedra were a pivotal aspect of the entire Oblivion story--but this does not seem to be the case with Skyrim thus far. Given the focus on dragons, I'd imagine that we might see friendly dragons who give tasks to the hero, and teach him ancient dragon words of power in exchange. 

#13 Posted by FreakAche (2952 posts) -
@Axxol said:
@FreakAche said:
Did you play Morrowind? Because this sounds like years of pent-up anger against cliff racers, and a dragon is basically the mother of all cliff racers.
#14 Posted by FreakAche (2952 posts) -
@project343 said:
I'm thinking not. The Daedra were a pivotal aspect of the entire Oblivion story--but this does not seem to be the case with Skyrim thus far. Given the focus on dragons, I'd imagine that we might see friendly dragons who give tasks to the hero, and teach him ancient dragon words of power in exchange. 
But Daedric quests were also in Morrowind and I believe Daggerfall as well.
#15 Posted by Berserker976 (340 posts) -

@FreakAche said:

@project343 said:

Most Definitely, I'll never forget having to kill that Giant Bull Netch with a fork.

#16 Posted by FreakAche (2952 posts) -
@Berserker976 said:

@FreakAche said:

@project343 said:

Most Definitely, I'll never forget having to kill that Giant Bull Netch with a fork.

You know you just have to make the finishing blow with the fork. You can get it's health down using whatever weapons or spells you like.
#17 Posted by Berserker976 (340 posts) -

@FreakAche said:

@Berserker976 said:

@FreakAche said:

@project343 said:

You know you just have to make the finishing blow with the fork. You can get it's health down using whatever weapons or spells you like.

Well sure, but where's the fun in that? (also I did not know that at the time)

#18 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
@FreakAche said:
@Axxol said:
@FreakAche said:
Did you play Morrowind? Because this sounds like years of pent-up anger against cliff racers, and a dragon is basically the mother of all cliff racers.
No, Oblivion is the only TES game I've played (other than an old cellphone game). I never bothered with Hand to Hand combat until this playthrough; I wanted to change it up a bit, since I use swords so much in games.
#19 Posted by FreakAche (2952 posts) -
@Axxol said:
@FreakAche said:
@Axxol said:
@FreakAche said:
No, Oblivion is the only TES game I've played (other than an old cellphone game). I never bothered with Hand to Hand combat until this playthrough; I wanted to change it up a bit, since I use swords so much in games.
Wait, there was a cellphone game? Was it even any good?
#20 Edited by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
@FreakAche said:

@Axxol said:

@FreakAche said:
@Axxol said:
@FreakAche said:
Wait, there was a cellphone game? Was it even any good?
There are a few TES mobile games, but the one that I played was back in 2005. I couldn't escape the prison at the beginning because I was getting raped by all manner of beasts. 

Edit: Check this out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_Travels
#21 Posted by FrakesFace (46 posts) -

My bet is that instead of Sheogorath Statues, there will be Jyggalag statues. All the other deadric princes will be represented in some form or another.

#22 Posted by StarFoxA (5146 posts) -

Dude! How will they handle Sheogorath? He gave the quest where you got the spell that stripped everyone to their underwear, right?

#23 Posted by PerryVandell (2103 posts) -

The only daedric quest I remember doing involved flaming dogs falling from the sky. Wouldn't mind seeing that in Skyrim, although I wish they bring back the Dark Brotherhood. That quest line was one of my favorite parts of Oblivion and I'm worried about them not announcing it yet.

#24 Posted by project343 (2817 posts) -
@FreakAche said:
@project343 said:
I'll be honest and say that I got about 30 minutes into Morrowind and stopped playing. Couldn't get past the dice rolled "misses" on distinct sword hits. But I was just trying to make the point that (as far as I understand) the nordic culture is fairly different from the rest of the Tamriel culture. 

With that said, I would like to see their reappearance.
#25 Posted by Hailinel (24404 posts) -

@Axxol said:

@FreakAche said:
@Axxol said:
@FreakAche said:

Be happy you've never faced a cliff racer, then. Holy Christ, those things are the worst.

#26 Posted by Beforet (2916 posts) -

Speaking of Cliff Races, you know how Jiub banished them from Morrowind? Well they never said he killed them all, just drove them out. And you know how Skyrim is pretty close to Morrowind? You see where I'm going with this?

Hell yeah, Skyrim DLC #1: The Cliff Racer Reckoning. Who cares about infinite dragons when you can have infinite birds?

#27 Posted by FreakAche (2952 posts) -
@StarFoxA said:

Dude! How will they handle Sheogorath? He gave the quest where you got the spell that stripped everyone to their underwear, right?

No, that was Sanguine's quest. Sheogorath's was the one where you made it rain burning dogs.
#28 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4715 posts) -
@Beforet said:

Speaking of Cliff Races, you know how Jiub banished them from Morrowind? Well they never said he killed them all, just drove them out. And you know how Skyrim is pretty close to Morrowind? You see where I'm going with this?

Hell yeah, Skyrim DLC #1: The Cliff Racer Reckoning. Who cares about infinite dragons when you can have infinite birds?

I will Shale that shit if they bring Cliff Racers into Skyrim. I will. Kill. Them. All.
#29 Posted by Beaudacious (927 posts) -

Who cares about quests! First 150 hours is done without any quests! Just run around doing stuff! Like breaking economies, stealing the blacksmiths job, killing the only farmer in town to starve the population! Steal gold from castles! Hunt animals for pelts, and food! Lure town guards into traps! Random dungeons! Arena! Become a vampire! Steal a prostitutes job! Oh dear...

#30 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

Along with daedric quests i would looove dark brotherhood. 

#31 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3501 posts) -

I'm hoping to get more artifacts like the Wabbajack.

#32 Posted by StarFoxA (5146 posts) -

@FreakAche: Oh right! That one was great as well (they all were).

#33 Posted by afrofools (1341 posts) -

I hardly played those quests, but I certainly won't be skipping any of the content in the new one, as now I realize such great games are few and far between. Not that I didn't play all the quests for the different factions, and the ones for the arena.

#34 Posted by perilator666 (441 posts) -

Screw the Daedra. Bring back the Dwemer.

#35 Posted by Aishan (1014 posts) -
@zoskia: Your wish is granted!     
Stealth / sneaking in the shadows of Dwemer Ruins 
#36 Posted by perilator666 (441 posts) -

@Aishan said:

@zoskia: Your wish is granted!
Stealth / sneaking in the shadows of Dwemer Ruins

i actually squealed. i think a little bit of wee came out.

#37 Posted by FreakAche (2952 posts) -
@Origina1Penguin said:

I'm hoping to get more artifacts like the Wabbajack.

Yeah, I really liked the artifacts that were more novelties than anything useful, just because they were cool to mess around with. Wabbajack and Sanguine's Rose come immediately to mind. Also, it wasn't Daedric, but the Staff of Worms was a cool item that way too.
#38 Posted by bioblood22 (420 posts) -

I must be one of the few who didn't like those, and hopes they're not in Skyrim.

#39 Posted by FreakAche (2952 posts) -
@bioblood22 said:
I must be one of the few who didn't like those, and hopes they're not in Skyrim.
Which ones did you do? Some of them were kind of bland, but others were among the best quests in the game.
#40 Posted by Getz (2997 posts) -

@project343 said:

They were also a significant portion of the last three games before Oblivion, so I'd say it doesn't matter what the focus of the main plot is. @FreakAche said:

working for Mehrunes Dagon would be a bit weird considering he tried to destroy the world just a few hundred years earlier.
the player character, a mortal takes on the Sheogorath persona and this game is hundreds of years later.

It's not like everybody thinks Dagon is this wonderful guy and then he tricks everybody by trying to take over the world. He's always been evil but the characters in TES games have always worked for him because they want that phat loot. In fact, most of the Daedric princes are horrible and twisted beings, who fuck over mortals for funsies. Some are just more subtle about it than others.

#41 Posted by FreakAche (2952 posts) -
@Getz: I don't know, Azura always seemed pretty chill!
#42 Posted by Getz (2997 posts) -

@FreakAche: yeah, I mean being a Daedric Prince isn't automatically a signifier for evil. They're all drunk on power and tend towards the extreme in everything they do, but some like Azura have sympathy for humans. Others, like Dagon and Sheogorath are incredibly violent and destructive. Some represent the worst of humanity, but don't necessarily hurt anyone directly (like Sanguine who's like a more extreme Dionysus-type figure)

And others still, like Hermaeus Mora, just don't give a shit.

#43 Posted by theguy (796 posts) -

I bet in Skyrim there's an illegal cult that still follows Dagon and says that what he did in Cyrodil was righteous. Whether you can do a quest for them or not I don't know. 
There might not be but it makes sense right?  

#44 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
@FreakAche: They were everyone's favorite quests!
#45 Edited by bioblood22 (420 posts) -
@FreakAche: I honestly only recall one of them seeing at it was so long ago, and all I can recall is that it was somewhere on the other side of the river near Bruma if I am remembering correctly which I wouldn't be surprised if I am not.   Wait wrong town, Bruma was in the mountains which one was south of the capital that sat on the island...god my memory of that game just sucks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.