Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Will Oblivion fill the void?

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Belonpopo

Along with everyone else I'm stoked for Skyrim, but as a way to stretch the itch between 11/11/11 and now I wont' be playing Oblivion. Oblivion has aged poorly and probably won't be anything like Skyrim. So instead I've been playing Fallout 3 and New Vegas, they are going to be more like Skyrim with a perk system and smoother combat (even if it is different kind of combat). Oblivion is an awesome game don't get me wrong but it won't stack up at all to Skyrim.

TearsInRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By TearsInRain

I have played it to fill the time and I disagree.  They are different sure, Skyrim will be fresh and new but Oblivion has a very classic feel to it.  I don't see myself ever putting down Oblivion for its flaws because what it does right outweighs everything else.  It's like comparing Super Mario World to Super Mario Galaxy.  The old doesn't compare but when you play it it is hella fun.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Buscemi

Urgh, the faces... the faces...

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Kyle

I'm confused. Have you not played any of these games, or are you just replaying them?

bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By bioblood22

I'd be playing Oblivion but seeing as my disc is cracked I won't be, and I haven't taken the time to get a new copy, fig I'll just wait out the months till the soon to be GotY comes out 11.11.11

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Marz

Um what?   Oblivion will be closer to what Skyrim is going for than Fallout 3 and NV in terms of gameplay mechanics.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By FreakAche

Play Morrowind if you can't get into Oblivion. It's actually aged better in a lot of ways.

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By shinigami420

no

bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bioblood22
    @FreakAche: I agree, I did like Morrowind more than Oblivion but then again I had the PC version of 3 and Oblivion for me was on 360...so not sure how that evens out.
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Justin258
    @FreakAche said:

Play Morrowind if you can't get into Oblivion. It's actually aged better in a lot of ways.

I heard this a lot on the Escapist. So I tried hard to get into Morrowind, but I found the gameplay in it to be almost shit. Story was decent, setting was much better (variety? Amazing!) but I couldn't even kill a freaking rat in the beginning. I kept hitting and hitting it and it wouldn't die! I hated that, and can't seem to get back into it. 

What I'm saying, OP, is that Morrowind is amazing for some and downright annoying for others. It isn't a bad idea to check it out, but be warned about it. 

As for Oblivion, it is going to be quite close to Skyrim. Much closer than New Vegas or FO3. Both of those are pretty much Oblivion with guns; you could play all three of them and get a similar experience to Skyrim. Meanwhile I find the best way to build up excitement for a game is to avoid playing anything in the same series or similar. For instance, I'm highly anticipating the Halo 1 rerelease (it is not a remake, it's a George Lucas style rerelease, it's the same damn game!) so I'm not playing any of the Halos until I get a hold of this one. I'm also not delving too far into Oblivion or Gears of War or Battlefield or (etc.)
    Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Christoffer

@Belonpopo: Get it for the PC (if ou haven't already) and mod it like hell. If you're dig deep enough you can almost turn it a completely different game... or you will destroy your computer. Either way is possible and very probable. I had some fun with it though.

Avatar image for themikelguereca
    TheMikelGuereca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By TheMikelGuereca

Oblivion is most definitely worth a play-through. Sure, playing Oblivion after playing Fallout 3 can be harsh however the open nature of the game rivals that of Fallout 3. Bethesda knows how to make open world games that are engrossing and engaging. Give it a shot!

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Getz

Stretching an itch doesn't sound pleasant, especially for 5 months.

Anyway, I tried the Oblivion thing again and I got some enjoyment out of it since it had been years since I last played but I'm with you, OP: it hasn't aged well at all. I think the thing that stands out most to me is the voices, not only are they all terrible, there's only about 4. Let's see, out of 9 races, two actors do all three elven races (male and female), two for the Kahjit and Argonian, two for Nords and Orcs, two for Bretons and Imperials, and two for Redguards. Where there should have been at least 18 actors they only used 10 and it just sounds ridiculous. Lynda Carter takes the cake for terrible delivery though.

shadystx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By shadystx
    @Belonpopo said:
    Along with everyone else I'm stoked for Skyrim, but as a way to stretch the itch between 11/11/11 and now I wont' be playing Oblivion. Oblivion has aged poorly and probably won't be anything like Skyrim. So instead I've been playing Fallout 3 and New Vegas, they are going to be more like Skyrim with a perk system and smoother combat (even if it is different kind of combat). Oblivion is an awesome game don't get me wrong but it won't stack up at all to Skyrim.
    Yeah I agree, Oblivion is great and in 2005 I played that game for the rest of the year.

I loaded it back on pc at the start of the year and it does not hold up very well now, probably because i have played 90% of the entire game,dlc and side quests so I dont really want to play the same content for another 100+hrs.

I still have not played fallout new vegas I have it installed and plan on playing it real soon, so yeah I have excatly the same idea as you.

Cannot wait for skyrim, I will definitly be playing it for a long time over the next year or two.
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Morrowind

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Aronman789

Play Daggerfall.

bioblood22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bioblood22

Play Pacman, if you look close enough after he eats something he drinks a skooma >.> no really...

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By haggis

My 360 copy of Oblivion is scratched to hell, but I picked up the PC version way back when Steam was offering it for five bucks. My PC isn't great, but it's good enough to play Oblivion on moderate settings. I imagine sometime this summer I'll play through it again, but I haven't gotten much past the initial dungeon. I'll definitely be picking up some mods for it as well. Put me down among those who thought that Morrowind was less than stellar. Oblivion has its significant flaws, but the gameplay rises above them for me: the game remains fun to play, even now. Sure, games have gotten better since then, and bits of it don't hold up, but for the most part it's worth another trip through before Skyrim hits in November.

sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By sreya92

Will Oblivion fill the void...good one

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Th3_James

Imma fill her void if you know what I mean.... <_<

Why is that the first thing I thought of?

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ragdrazi

Baldur's Gate.

ToxikPandaKoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ToxikPandaKoi

runescape.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By BaneFireLord

I heartily disagree. I think Oblivion has held up marvelously, even stacked against Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@Titus said:

Urgh, the faces... the faces...
    You called...?
    You called...?
    PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PeasantAbuse
    @BaneFireLord said:
    I heartily disagree. I think Oblivion has held up marvelously, even stacked against Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

I have have put an incredible amount of hours into all three of those games, and I agree Oblivion still holds up the best.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.