Will you buy Skyrim for the PC or a console?

#1 Posted by Hobbies (976 posts) -
#2 Posted by Gargantuan (1880 posts) -

PC because of the better graphics, lower price and mods.

#3 Posted by Hobbies (976 posts) -

Just curious to see how the GB community stands on this. 

Personally, I am never going to buy a Bethesda game on a console again. Especially if we have another Oblivion on our hands, I will have to rely on mods to save the game.

#4 Posted by Xtacles (44 posts) -

The one with the mods obviously.

#5 Edited by Venatio (4483 posts) -

I bought Oblivion for my 360 and I wish I'd have bought it on the PC, now I think my  computer is good enough to run it, I want mods damn it

Same thing with Dragon Age, bought the first for 360, pre ordered DA2 on PC

#6 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

PC of course. That's where it belongs. Then after a couple of years when it's out, and when it's hell of a lot cheaper, I may buy it on a console.

#7 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

People use PCs to play games? Why?

#8 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

I've hated every single Elder Scrolls/New Fallout game on consoles, but I loved them on PC.

So PC.

#9 Posted by Keylimepies (8 posts) -

Console. 

If I had the drive to save up for a capable PC, my answer would almost certainly be different. 

#10 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

The game is designed for consoles so if I had a console I would buy it for that but...

#11 Posted by FreakAche (2948 posts) -

I've been debating this. On the one hand, since it's a game I'm probably going to be pouring a lot of time into, I kind of want to earn the achievements that matter. On the other hand, PC versions of Bethesda games have a track record of being kind of awesome.

#12 Posted by Xtacles (44 posts) -

I am curious to see how the transition from Gamecryo effects the console release, if Rage performs well on the consoles there is no reason Bethesda can't do the same. 

#13 Posted by xyzygy (9867 posts) -

Console - I want to the game to run. My laptop can barely run Oblivion.

#14 Posted by spazmaster666 (1965 posts) -

Definitely PC for a number of reasons including better graphics, superior controls, and of course, most importantly, mod support.

#15 Posted by Azteck (7450 posts) -

If I end up buying it, it'll be on the PC, purely for the mods though.

#16 Posted by Obsidian (346 posts) -

Almost every game for me is better on the PC, with the rare exceptions being crappy ports.  I think Bethesda will do right by PC gamers though so I will definitely get it for my computer.

#17 Posted by Hobbies (976 posts) -
@FreakAche said:
" I've been debating this. On the one hand, since it's a game I'm probably going to be pouring a lot of time into, I kind of want to earn the achievements that matter. On the other hand, PC versions of Bethesda games have a track record of being kind of awesome. "
If achievements are the only thing making you consider the console version then you'd be downright insane to not buy it for the PC.
#18 Posted by Vorbis (2749 posts) -

The one with the best Mod support. Or the only mod support.

#19 Posted by ZeroCast (1869 posts) -

For PC as I don't have a shiny console, an HD TV and a comfortable sofa :p.

#21 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

PC for me.  It just won't feel like an Elder Scrolls game if I don't see a construction editor on my screen as well as Tesnexus on the browser.

#22 Posted by Th3_James (2576 posts) -

i7 875K @ 4.0Ghz w/ 8gb ddr3 ram, and a 5870. Of course I am getting pc version. I can't stand playing those games on consoles. 

#23 Posted by CitizenKane (10501 posts) -

If I had a PC that could run it well, I would get it for PC.  But since I don't, I will probably get in on Xbox 360.

#24 Posted by Ignor (2372 posts) -

Mods might be able to salvage the game if it ends up being like Oblivion, so, PC.

#25 Posted by weegieanawrench (1934 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" Console - I want to the game to run. My laptop can barely run Oblivion. "
This. I don't have any computers that are even remotely capable of running any games past 2006. 
#26 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -

Much as I love mods, that's actually a problem for me.  I'll get it for console or else I'll play a ton of mods and won't play the game itself.

#27 Posted by dankempster (2249 posts) -

I'll be picking it up for the 360, just like Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas before it. My crummy laptop simply isn't able to run these kinds of games.

#28 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Gargantuan said:
" PC because of the better graphics, lower price and mods. "
not to mention the mouse and keyboard which make life so much easier in such complex games
#29 Posted by wewantsthering (1545 posts) -

I will probably get both...the 360 version so I can sit on my couch and play it and also the PC version for messing around weird/crazy mods that are inevitable. 

#30 Posted by onarum (1989 posts) -

Yeah  it will probably be the ps3 version for me, my laptop can't run shit, though I've been thinking about building me a decent gaming rig for a while now, I might just start saving money so maybe when it get's released I will already have a bad ass computer waiting for it, no competition there, PC games are cheaper, look way better and sometimes the controls are better as well, also as with any elder scrolls game modding is almost a must, to fix the dumb ass decisions bethesda makes.....

fun fact though is that I've been playing elder scrolls 2 : daggerfall on my laptop heh, at least that I can run :P, once you get past the terrible raycasting engine and severe low view distance it's a fairly fantastic game, the scope of the thing is ridiculous, the land mass you can travel about is literally about like 10 times bigger than oblivion, or even more I don't know for sure.

#31 Edited by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

I'll easily be spending around 100 hours in this game, so I'll definitely be buying it for consoles. Console controllers are much more comfortable to use than a keyboard and mouse which is a big plus for a long ass game like this. 

Of course if the elder scrolls games had ever required a more precise controlling scheme, I would consider the PC, but since this has never been the case I think I can safely assume that I'll be fine.

#32 Posted by Stete (722 posts) -

Im definitely gonna buy it for PC when it launches. Admittetly im not really into mods (unless they are cosmetic and don't affect the gameplay) having a command  console  can prove quite valuable when bugs start creeping around (*cough* New Vegas *cough*) but ill probably buy the game of the year version for my ps3 once it comes out (I did buy GOTY versions of Morrowind and Oblivion for the original xbox and PS3 even though I had the vanilla versions on PC).

#33 Posted by fugie7 (1105 posts) -

getting it for console.

#34 Posted by guiseppe (2837 posts) -

Console, couldn't stand playing a game like that on a PC.

#35 Posted by MikkaQ (10261 posts) -

I usually play TES games on PC, but I won't be able to run Skyrim on my current one, no chance. So I'll just get the xbox version most like. 

#36 Posted by p_p_o_d (543 posts) -

console first them PC 6 - 12 months later with mods after it has been on sale on steam for 75% off. 

#37 Posted by Sin4profit (2903 posts) -

PC on Steam...The only way to play Bethesda games.

#38 Posted by Marz (5641 posts) -
@Meowayne said:
" People use PCs to play games? Why? "
Titty mods
#39 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

I'll be buying it on console. I don't imagine any of my machines would be capable of running Skyrim, so I'll stick to console. If I could I'd buy it on both and enjoy the mods on one, and the achievements on the other, but it won't work out that way for me. Shame, but there's not much that can be done about that.

#40 Posted by TooWalrus (13127 posts) -

Console. My PC is SO 2007, and I'm pretty broke.

#41 Posted by ShadowKnight508 (659 posts) -

Console (PS3). If I had a high-end gaming PC rig, then my answer would be different.

#42 Posted by BaneFireLord (2907 posts) -

Definitely both, cause I loves me some Bethesda, but console first, 'cause I have a fancy schmansy TV and won't be getting that gaming PC until at least Christmas, if not 2012.

#43 Posted by septim (774 posts) -

Even 5 years ago it was fairly obvious that Oblivion was designed console-first. I'll be playing on the 360 for these reasons thrice; couch, projector, and achievements.

#44 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

More than likely PC, although I'd love if it came with GFWL achievements.

#45 Posted by spazmaster666 (1965 posts) -
@septim said:
" Even 5 years ago it was fairly obvious that Oblivion was designed console-first. I'll be playing on the 360 for these reasons thrice; couch, projector, and achievements. "
Yeah but mods easily fixed that. Also Bethesda has said that they are addressing the menu/inventory issues in Oblivion.
#46 Posted by Korolev (1694 posts) -

If I can help it, I'll buy it on a PC. Sorry, but I like a mouse. A controller is great for platforming games like Super Meat Boy and Prince of Persia, but for just about any FPS, TPS or RPG, I prefer playing on a keyboard. WASD for movement, mouse for aiming/looking, and convenient keys you assign functions to. Plus, I don't have to play it on the TV, I can play it on my Computer, and in a shared household, other folks don't take too kindly to someone taking up the TV all day.

#47 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

Console. I play Bethesda games to perfection and if I had them on PC, I know I would end up using console commands.  
I also enjoy the jank of those games and having to work within their confines.

#48 Posted by warxsnake (2634 posts) -

PC because of freedom

#49 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Half the fun in games like this is modding, so obviously the PC version.     

@Meowayne
said:

"People use PCs to play games? Why? "

Because they want the best experience possible?

#50 Posted by sfighter21 (794 posts) -

My PC is able to run recent games at med-high graphic levels.  Like Arkham, ME2, DA Origins, and Prince of Persia.  But, I'm worried about this one.  If it is as big as Oblivion, AND has a new Engine... I'm using an HP DV7 laptop.  It gets pretty hot when running games like Arkham and ME2.  I have a fan, but it has overheated ONCE while playing Borderlands.  Time will tell I guess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.